Furyborn

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 22 May 2018

The story was great! Angels and magic used in a whole new way! It was intriguing, keeping me interested in what was going to happen next! What I didn't enjoy was the back and forth between characters. While this typically doesn't bother me, I feel it was the different times that kept throwing me off in the story. Overall though, it was an excellent book! Looking forward to the next!
I think maybe I just am not the right audience for this book. While I found the story entertaining, I was a bit annoyed by the characters and some of their choices. I put that down to my age, however, as I am quite a bit older than the target reader, and I tend to find real teenagers to be a bit annoying at times. So perhaps it's down to how realistic the writing actually is. I will say I think teens will really love the book, and the writing itself was quite good.
❝ “We all have darkness inside us, Rielle,” he said, his voice rough. “That is what it means to be human.” ❞

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts are my own!

I didn’t know too much going into Furyborn. I thought the cover was gorgeous and I had heard mention of the book from the book community. So it was a pleasant surprise when I read the synopsis and realized that this fantasy had some similar elements to another series I’m a huge fan of (e.g. Throne of Glass). I was definitely pulled in by the promise of a female assassin/bounty hunter. I also liked that we had fantasy elements being hinted at with Rielle’s story. And although I had fun reading this book I also had some issues with it.

Furyborn is told from two points of view (Rielle and Eliana) which are a thousand years apart. This was something I both liked and disliked for a couple reasons. When you first jump into the book you enter an intriguing fantasy world where people are able to manipulate one of seven elements. You have Rielle who is helplessly in love with someone who can’t be hers and is hiding a dangerous secret. It’s interesting, it pulls you in… and then you jump a thousand years forward to Eliana’s point of view where magic no longer exists and everyone is simply trying to survive the Emperor’s conquest. It’s a little jarring.

It also left me with so many questions and in a way that was good because it drove me to keep reading because I had to keep waiting to find out what happened with one character or the other, but it was also a little annoying. Most of the time I was more interested in finding out what happened to Rielle so Eliana’s chapters were kind of an obstacle to me in that way. Again, the format of the story had its pros and cons, but I can at least say that the story was never boring.

Between the two main characters, Rielle was my favorite. I loved her fierce spirit and loyalty to her friends. She was very perceptive of her words and actions would be interpreted, and could read other people well too. She was different from other women I think in that she had that passion and spirit that kept her from being docile. She was a strong character and I felt sympathetic to her situation. I was rooting for her the whole way through her trials and the one question that kept coming back to me was this: how did things go so wrong? You’ll find out what I’m talking about in chapter two, it’s not a very big spoiler but still, I’ll let you find out for yourselves.

❝ “People like us don’t fight for our own hope,” he said quietly. “We fight for everyone else’s.” ❞

Now, that isn’t to say that Eliana was a bad character. I just didn’t enjoy her storyline as much as the super fun fantasy, magic, life-or-death trials storyline of Rielle. It just felt like so much more was at stake for Rielle even though you kind of find out her fate at the beginning of the book. But anyway, back to Eliana. I thought Eliana was a little… annoying? She tried very hard to make herself come off as a bad person when really she wasn’t. She tried hard to be tough, ruthless, selfish, but then she showed her soft side when it came to her family.

There was one point where I did get really frustrated with her, and that was when she decided to betray some people to protect her family (surprise, surprise) but then later when the people she betrayed killed innocents to ensure the secrets she was giving away didn’t get out she was suddenly so against killing. It was really annoying because her betraying the group was going to lead to innocent people dying too, but only afterward did she care about it. I don’t know. It was just weird faulty logic and either way she caused so many more people to be hurt. I just hated her decision making there.

And finally, I’d like to touch on the plot and pacing. Mainly, about how the formatting impacted the story. I feel like at times, the story took a hit because of the alternating points of view. It made the progression of both Eliana and Rielle’s story feel like it dragged on (that’s not even acknowledging the fact that this was almost a 500-page book). I think it was an ambitious project to take on essentially two separate storylines in one book and it wasn’t perfect, but it was still good. I also loved the way that both storylines fit together. When you have that 1000 year gap it leaves you wondering how these two characters fit together and I think the way that it was explained was interesting and made me excited for the next book.

So overall, I think this was a book with a couple issues, but the story was still interesting enough to keep me invested in it. Hopefully, the next book will be even better!
I found this book a little hard to get in to. It was worth it to keep reading as the story was fantastic but there are definitely slow pieces that you have to force yourself through. Reille is a fantastic character and really could have the book exclusively been about her and it would have been interesting. The tie in of Eliana’s story was also great. It at times felt like it should be two separate stories but the amalgamation was needed to fully understand both girls. I enjoyed this book a lot, but definitely struggled with it as well.
I was so excited about this book, I got the ebook from NetGalley, and the ARC from ALA Mid-Winter. Best choice ever!

Get lost in a world very different from our own. The alternating POV gives readers a much grander view than had they been limited to just one character. I'm even more excited to learn more about this world and the characters that live in it.
Furyborn is one of those debuts that has had a HUGE amount of publisher push behind it so it ended up being hyped to the max. I quite often have problems with books like this because my expectations are sky high and therefore almost impossible to reach. I hate to say it thats definitely what happened here, the story was good but it just never reached the heights I was looking for so I came away disappointed.

The story is told from two points of view with the chapters alternating between the characters. First you have Rielle, a young girl who has spent her life keeping her powers secret but who risks everything to save the life of the boy she loves. She is immediately the easiest of the characters to relate to and I was really hoping to see her get the happily ever after she deserves but the biggest problem is that her story is set 1000 years in the past and you know from the prologue how her journey is going to end. Yes we have questions about how she ended up in that situation but there is absolutely no sense of mystery about how things will turn out for her. I think giving so much away so early on pretty much ruined her story for me because I was always waiting for the shoe to drop.

The other main character is Eliana and unfortunately she was much harder to like. I could understand her motivations in trying to keep her family and friends safe but the way she's happy to walk all over anyone who stands in her way makes it hard to respect her. She does grow and change throughout the story but I still feel more invested in the people around her than I do in her. One thing I do enjoy is the strong friendships that both of the main characters have, there are some really great side characters here that I'd definitely like to see more of.

Furyborn is an action packed story, there is always something major happening in each different plot thread and you're often left on a cliffhanger for one girl's story before diving back into the other. This works really well to a certain extent but after a while it starts to feel like this is all action and no character development. There were times when I felt the story would have benefitted from slowing down a little to let us have time to get to know the characters better and then perhaps I could have felt more connected to them.

Overall this wasn't a bad book, it was fun to read and I flew through it fairly quickly for such a long book, but at the same time it wasn't perfect. It did hold my attention enough that I want to read the sequel but I'm really hoping to see some big changes in the characters as they start to understand exactly what is happening around them.

Furyborn is a beautiful story that transcends time. The linkage, and the relatability of these characters are amazing and beautiful especially since they are in such a interesting world that is so far from our own.
Furyborn is one of the books that didn’t live up to all the hype it received. I’m torn between liking and hating this book.

My thoughts

Furyborn was good but this was a hard story for me to get into. The story of two young women from different time periods and their connection was interesting but also confusing.  Furyborn is a fantasy so there is a lot of details on the world to absorb. I think the alternating POV’s made it difficult for me to fully understand what was going on. Just when it was becoming clear for me the next chapter would switch POV’s and time periods (either to the past or future). The alternating POV’s also made the pace of the story really slow and sometimes boring. I was so tempted to DNF this book but there was still enough of a pull from the story for me to continue. I’m glad I didn’t give up because there were some great action scenes and revelations.

Even though I was frustrated with the story I did like the main characters. Rielle and Eliana are both strong women with incredible powers. I loved how the author gave insight to their doubts, fears and struggles with controlling their powers. I don’t want to spoil the story, but this is a battle between good and evil, and it becomes clear that one of these ladies couldn’t resist the pull from the dark side (definitely a Star Wars feel to this story lol).

Would I read the next book? Despite my issues with Furyborn I do want to read the next book. I’m curious to what happens next and if these two characters will meet.

Would I recommend this book?  Yes, but with a warning that this is slow paced and requires some patience.  Overall it is a good story with action, suspense and interesting plot twists. This is labelled as a Young Adult Fantasy but there are some detailed sex scenes, so this book is more appropriate for readers over 18-years-old.
I have seen so much hype about this book, I thought I would like it better. I normally do not mind alternating points of view but add in the time difference and it was just too much.
After getting through the slowness and confusion that took up the first couple hundred pages, I finally figured out the way this story was flowing. I think out of both of the protagonists, I loved Eliana the most. Rielle seemed like a lustful and desperate woman which I wasn’t entirely a fan of, but goodness some parts were steamyyyyy. Eliana was a badass, strong willed, stone hard killer and her world was so horrifying and thrilling at the same time. I look forward to seeing how the story will continue. I think this book showed how power can ruin and sanctify worlds and how history can either repeat itself or have opposite outcomes.
4.5 stars. Thank you Netgalley for the ARC.

It took a little over halfway through reading this to be really engaged with the story. And I was surprised that it took so long seeing it’s positive reception. Part of the issue was not immediately liking the characters, but as the story developed so did my regard for them.

The prologue was one of the best hooks that I’ve read in a long long time.

Looking forward to the next installment.
There are some books that are so problematic that they end up making you question the state of the universe.

There are some books that are horribly written, and you wished you didn't bother reading them.

Then we have Furyborn, which was none of the above. So what the heck was it, Aimee?! Calm down, my booknerd friends, I'm getting there! Furyborn, to put it simply, was just so boring and forgettable. Too harsh? Heck, I can't even remember most of the characters' names anymore. Let me get into detail for you guys:

Image result for cracks knuckles gif

1. First off, can we talk about how freakishly long this book was!? (Goodreads says the hardcover is 512 effin' pages!!!) But that's not even the problem. The problem is that it didn't need to be long. Take off 200 pages and there wouldn't be a significant difference in terms of plot. Maybe I wouldn't have fallen asleep while reading!

2. Furyborn was told in alternating perspectives–one from the present, and one from the past. I was alright with this at first, until suddenly the cutting between chapters didn't make any sense anymore. The swaps weren't smooth, and often times it made me more frustrated rather than wanting more. This kind of made it hard for me to care for the characters?? Or maybe it was something else.

3. Like I said, I don't give a single crap about any of the characters. Their personalities are all kind of messed up, like they themselves aren't sure of who they are. They have too many conflicting traits that don't match up. Let's take one of the heroines, Eliana, as an example. Is she an assassin, or is she an angsty teenager? I dunno, you tell me.

4. The romance is WEIRD AS HECK. It's kind of a love triangle-square thing and I can't even describe it. I don't want to spoil this for people who still plan to read the book, but generally, things were… odd.

Anyway, I did appreciate what the book tried to be. There were some interesting concepts here and there, and I enjoyed the elemental aspect, but overall, I'm sure I'll be forgetting Furyborn as a whole.
5 OUT OF 5 STARS

HOLY. BANANAS!!

I loved this book so much. Truth be told, I almost didn't expect to love this book so much — there was so much hype, and I was very skeptical about the dual timelines and the cosmic war spanning millennia. It just didn't seem possible at all for that to play out well.

I was overjoyed to find out that I was wrong! Ha! This book was so well-crafted in its structure, such a marvelous example of excellent storytelling, and such an intriguing premise. I cannot wait to read the rest of the series!
This book is so fun. I constantly am on the search for fantasy books and series that have a strong female character that has depth. In this book I get two! I cannot wait to continue with this author and her series. The word was hard to leave longer after I finished the book.
This book was so, so awesome! Definitely a new YA fantasy series that's going to receive a lot of hype as it continues. It's a fantastic tale that skillfully weaves together the two protagonist's timelines and leaves you hanging in all the best ways.
Um, this was amazing. Thank you netgalley for this e-ARC! I couldn't put this book down once I started! Cant wait to read it a second time!
This is one of those books that I could just not get into for the life of me, but I can see other why other people might enjoy it. For me though, the biggest struggle was the two different point of views, in fact I got to a point where I was not even slightly paying attention to Rielle timeline. While I was slightly more interested in Eliana's timeline, I still for the life of me just could not get into this story and this world and would dread picking the book back up every time I put it down. While I did not particularly enjoy this/get into it, I didn't hate the book and I can see why others might enjoy it if they can be drawn in unlike me.
"Furyborn" is one of the most hyped releases of 2018, and I was so excited to read it. At first, I really struggled to get into the story. The opening scene is quite dramatic and confusing, and I do think it was a rather rough beginning to the book. However, as I read on I became more and more engrossed in the story.

Rielle’s chapters are at first a little slow, but once we get into the drama, action, and magic, it really picked up. I loved seeing her journey as she goes through the trials to test her magic. To see her struggle and learn and grow. To see her confidence and pride. To see her arc over the course of the book and understand how her actions changed the world.

I also liked the romance; a friends to lovers romance. It was sweet, hot, and full of tension. I found it really anchored the story as the stakes got increasingly higher in the trials.

Eliana’s chapters were compelling from the start, with her sharp tongue, confidence, and dark past. She’s attracted to both genders, and not shy about seeking out pleasure. It was great to see such a sex positive character. I feel like Eliana is judged too harshly, and that did detract from my enjoyment of the book at times. I felt it was there just to add conflict but not in a truly meaningful way.

Her plot became my focus, to be honest. And that’s because she has a mystery to unravel. Her relationship with her brother is adorable and heartwarming. I honestly loved it. The romance is a bit insta-love for my tastes, so I’m not sure what to think of it.

"Furyborn" was a fun read, once I got past the rocky opening. It had its weak parts, but overall I found the story fun and engaging. I’m curious to see what will happen in the next book!
Good concept but ultimately boring which is disappointing. Instead of complex characterization and word building all I got was non-stop action scenes, annoying main characters, and a book that was just far longer than it needed to be. There was a good premise and set-up here with angel wars and political intrigue (and time travel!) - it was one of my more anticipated releases of this year. But there was just nothing interesting here, nothing truly at stake for the main characters, nothing that pulled me in, nothing that managed to grab me or make me care about what happened to them. It just wasn’t for me, but hopefully others will have better luck.