Furyborn

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 22 May 2018

A good book is still on your mind days later. Furyborn achieves that and more. I still find myself unpacking the complicated emotions between our four central characters, even weeks after reading.

Two have not one but two fierce female POCs is a gift—and the idea to split between timelines is a stroke of genius. Some of the plot may mirror the basic YA building blocks (queen tempted by an outside force, etc) but the way Claire Legrand tells the story redeems any of those criticisms. She skillfully plays with the idea of "breaking bad" but on a timeline. We know Rielle, the queen who seems initially to be the golden and unscarred character, will ultimately end up our (sympathetic) antagonist... while watching Eliana Ferracora redeem herself. It's a story of balance and an intricate character story that is nonetheless a page-turner I couldn't put down.

If you're looking for a fast-paced but complex story, look no further.
This book was a very unique take on dark fantasy. The story is told through two POVs, Rielle and Eliana ... but the twist is: their stories take place 1,020 years apart.

What surprised me was that each chapter switched between the two POVs. Because of that reason, most chapters ended slightly "cliffhangery" and that did take some getting used to.

I thought this was a daring undertaking for the author. I won't say it was without flaws; I do feel like she could have melded the two stories together with better pacing, but I can understand why it would be a bit too difficult to do with the first book in a series. She was essentially crafting two worlds within the same world, so I have a feeling, now that the world-building is complete, that I will have a more enjoyable time with book 2.

I did enjoy this book a fair bit, but I'll be honest, I didn't LOVE it. I feel like I'm hovering between 3 and 4 stars. After contemplating it for a full day, I decided to lean a bit more towards 3 stars, regardless of how imaginative Legrand's story was. Parts if it were too drawn out for my tastes.

It was well crafted, but it was by no means an easy read. If you want something easy where you can turn your brain off and just enjoy a fast-paced book, this is not what you're looking for. You need to pay attention and dedicate time to fully lose yourself within the pages.

I had a hard time deciding which POV and story I liked better. Whenever I was reading Rielle's chapters, I would think she's my favourite, then I would read Eliana's chapters and think nope she's my favourite. It was a fun and vicious cycle. Plus, Audric and Simon were very enjoyable to read about ... especially a particular scene with Audric *wiggles eyebrows suggestively*. But I have to admit, the surprising standout "star" of the book was Eliana's little brother Remy. He was just so stinking cute. So cute it made me ache. So sweet I just wanted to bundle him up in my arms and protect him forever. It's a very strong author who can make you love side characters just as much (and sometimes even more) as you love the protagonists, and Legrand achieved that.

I don't think I would recommend this book to everyone, but I know for sure there is an audience for a book like this. I know several people who would become full-on obsessed with Legrand's world, and I'll very happily tell them they need to read this book.

I'll definitely be anxiously awaiting the sequel. I can't wait to see what happens next.
I read this a while ago and while going to review it on Goodreads realized I couldn't remember anything about it. So I looked at the Goodreads summary again and was like "nope still don't remember" so not a great start. I ended up having to open and skim it again just to remember anything about it and when I did I remembered why I didn't remember: it wasn't very engaging. The story was ok. The plot was fine. It just didn't really have any single thing that hooked me in and I didn't find any of the characters to be actually engaging.
Claire Legrand is one of my new favorite authors.  She builds amazing worlds and draws you in with her rich detail.
This is an amazing fantasy and one of the best young adult fantasy titles I read of the year. The pace never slows down, and yet the author created rich characters with many dimensions to uncover. I can't wait to read the second installment in this series--Furyborn was a fantastic journey!
Finally able to purchase this for the school! And, the second in the series, as well. Looking forward to sharing Furyborn in the first week and watching it never be on the shelf! Two exceptional women in a story beautifully woven together by the author.
Loved the alternating timelines via alternating chapters-it made me feel like I was reading 2 books in one, but better. The alternating chapters also gave  readers mini cliffhangers, but without having to wait too long to find out what happened next. I just really liked the way of presenting the story, and I am all for alternative formats of presenting storylines!

The story itself is captivating, the characters are likable, or unlikable depending and made for an easy to fall into journey.
I really wanted to love this book, but I honestly had struggles with it keeping my attention. It had all the right elements and the story intrigued me like nothing else but I just couldn't bring myself to keep reading. I read so many books surrounding the starting and completing of this one, reading mere chapters at a time. When it got going, though, it did really get going and then I finished in no time at all. I would, however, recommend to fans of this type of YA fantasy because it really was right up my alley... once I could get into it.
I liked it. It wasn’t one of my favorite good vs evil stories but there were parts that were good. The story is told in dual timelines, a thousand years apart. Rielle’s story didn’t interest me much. I would have preferred learning her story through someone telling it rather than a first person account. This is probably due to the fact that the book opens with how Rielle’s story ends and I didn’t really care to know how it got to that ending. I did find Eliana’s story to be more interesting. I probably could have skipped all of the Rielle backstory chapters and still got the whole gist of the story.
I have loved every Legrand book I've ever read and this was no exception. The world was amazing and so were the characters. I would recommend this to EVERY young adult fantasy lover. It has deserved all of it's hype.
*Review can be found at https://smadasbooksmack.blogspot.com/*

Told in alternating points of view, hundreds of years apart, the lives of Eliana and Rielle unfold. Eliana is a hired assassin, taking on morally despicable tasks for her ruler in order to keep her brother and mother safe. But when the Wolf comes looking for her, her world implodes. Rielle has spent her life hiding what she is really capable of, the power uncontrollable and dangerous until it was unleashed and all knew of her powers. Through trials and danger, the two women battle for what is theirs, with a connection between the two no one could expect.

This was a hard complicated book book to get through, super dense and heavy. I would personally classify Furyborn as adult Fantasy, not YA, the only reason it might even be YA is due to the characters being older teens/young 20s. All of the concepts were more adult and the characters were incredibly mature, plotting their own destinies. AND there was at least one pretty detailed sex scene that does not belong in anything I would ever call YA.

I have no idea how to describe the book except it was very epic and I will continue on in the series no doubt. I had a hard time getting into the story in general, I was about 50% through before I was fully invested in the book. I really liked Eliana, I thought she was cool and intense, almost like a Celaena Sardothien type character and I loved her chapters. Rielle was harder for me to connect to since she seemed like a selfish character who made some stupid impulsive choices that cost so many, but by the end of the book I needed to know what would happen to both the women. And boy, was this a twist, dangerous, dark ride that I never saw coming, with the scariest of Angels! By the end of the book I was so into this world and messed up plot that I can't wait to jump into the next book.
I knew this book was going to be a hit from the prologue.
This book is movie material and I hope one day I’ll be able to see a motion picture version of this amazing story.
Furyborn surprised me by sneakily appearing on my reading radar and then craftily making me fall in love with it page by page. I never thought I’d enjoy this book like I did.
Claire Legrand definitely knows how to write a good fantasy novel.
Her writing is incredibly atmospheric, there was never a boring moment and time just flew by when reading this chunky beast. I felt like I was part of this tree dipped in ink the whole time and I was always fixated in the story.
This book is very fast paced and I have to disagree with readers who would have liked less conversation and more action because this book is bursting with it!
What a super book!

Furyborn (Empirium #1) by Claire Legrand revolves around two amazingly independent young women, Rielle Dardenne and Eliana Ferracora, yet they live centuries apart, and need each other to save the world.

A thrilling read full of excitement and kick-ass fun! You'd be silly not to read this!

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for sending me a digital ARC of “Furyborn” by Claire Legrand.
So, Furyborn. I was excited when this title was released, because it got SO MUCH HYPE. UnicornCrate featured it in one of their boxes, and I was pumped. However, as I started getting into it, I thought very differently. I mean, I LIKED IT. But I have some feelings.
First of all, the beginning was exciting. But, boy, did things start to drag on.. and I may have started to nitpick.
The female leads are meant to be strong, human, well-rounded, etc… But they were as dimensional as a pancake. I mean, Eliana could be a doppelgänger for a Sarah J. Maas character. And DESPITE the overwhelming message of being a strong, independent woman… both Eliana and Rielle are constantly pining lustily for some… smash. And it’s not the patriarchy, mind you. Nope.
I mean, I didn’t hate Furyborn. No, not at all. I enjoyed a few parts. The smutty sections were… laughable. I’m always curious as to how an author approaches these scenes. I’m betting it’s not from personal experience (I mean, c’mon. The earth doesn’t quite shake, regardless if it’s good or not.)
I would recommend this for fans of Maas and the Throne of Glass series. It vaguely reminded me of it.
HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO GO ABOUT MY DAY NOW AFTER FINISHING FURYBORN?!

I devoured this novel.

Literally d e v o u r e d it, which is actually surprising considering I honestly didn't think I'd enjoy this story as much as I did. Why? Well, firstly, I found the beginning to be both thrilling, but at the same time quite slow-paced - which I was anticipating for considering for the last year and a half, I've been reading mainly fast-paced romances that were in no way fantasy nor YA - but that slowness is what had me reading two or three chapters a night for the first three nights, before then happily putting this novel down.

Secondly, on top of it beginning slowly, another thing I thought would eventually make me DNF this book was the fact that it's told in third person dual POV. Okay, not that specifically, but more so because it focuses on Rielle and Eliana - women with nothing yet everything in common - who have a 1,020 year time difference between them. The back and forth in time focusing on two different characters with two major storylines in one gigantic story? I honestly thought I'd hate it, but it's that that had me captivated, consumed, and completely hooked to this thrilling feminist fantasy novel.

Claire Legrand really knows how to write a compelling and fantastic story that, built on a slow build up with suspenseful moments at the end of each chapter, always left me craving for more;

I'd find myself consumed by Rielle's story and frantic to know more about her after her life changing challenges and watching her battle through trail after trail to prove her worth and declare herself who she is believed to be: The Sun Queen - a figure of hope who is prophesised to save the world and protect it from her counterpart, The Blood Queen, who is prophesised to destroy it. And seeing all this even after the events that occurred in this shocking prologue? I was hooked to her chapters. But then I'd reach Eliana's chapters; Eliana the anti-hero bounty hunter, who has strange magical healing abilities that make her near enough indestructible. Eliana the Dread of Orline, who's a tale that brings fright in the night. Eliana a daughter, who goes off on a quest to find her missing mother - who is one of many to disappear into the night - and meets people who end up changing her life forever. Believe me when I say that her chapters were just as much a thrill as Rielle's, leaving me all the more H O O K E D to this story!

The world building was phenomenal, and Claire's vivid imaginings came out in her words so clearly, it was easy for me to see the most stunning of images - from Eliana's wounds stitching themselves back together as she goes head to head against the deadliest of enemies in a fight to get her family back, to Rielle's magic reforming the strongest of elements around her, changing a scene full of danger and destruction, into a scene full of beauty and bravery.

Furyborn was just this never ending circle of greatness; a story that was so exciting that I'd be kept glued to my seat, eyes on these pages and happily leaving reality behind to transport myself mind and soul into this magical and unforgettable world; a story that has reignited my love for this genre. With the right amount of humour added to uplift a scene after a shocking revelation, and the right amount of suspense to keep a reader captivated and craving for more - and with side characters who steal the show with their witty banter, their fierce determination, and their unignorable allure (I'm looking at you Simon, and even you Corien) - Furyborn is a MUST READ if you love YA Fantasy.

Now I honestly cannot wait another second to dive into Kingsbane.

I am READY for all that Claire Legrand will deliver to us next.
I honestly love it very much. I'm having a little trouble with the romance ending with Eliana and Simon. Quite honestly I'm not sure what to make of Simon's character, seems like he had a huge change by the end there, like he was a different person. I'm still having trouble keeping up with his motivations just based on the prologue. Eliana has a strong personality and I'm interested in how it grows as the trilogy goes on.

Admittedly, I was way more emotionally invested in Rielle's story but I still loved it all as a whole. (Spoiler Omitted) When Rielle's chapters ended (which felt too short at times) and switched to Eliana's POV I was a little upset. I was just way more engaged during Rielle's timeline, though this has nothing to do with the strength of the writing. I think I just have a liking for court style drama/plots than most other kinds.
I didn't feel much for the primary romantic interests (Simon and Audric) but boy was I seduced by Corien. He is for sure a villain I can get behind. I'm eager to learn more about him and why he's doing this. It's characters like this that solidifies my theory of my admiration of villains.

4/5☆
Very interesting premise, at first I found it a little confusing, but as I kept reading the transition between Rielle and Eliana became easy to follow. There was almost like a third wall that was broken in a few spots, I felt like the characters were talking directly to the readers. I was definitely in for the intrigue and betrayal that did not disappoint.
I was very intrigued by the storyline in "Furyborn". The idea of following two powerful young women from different time periods and the choices they make as to whether they will use their power for good or evil was interesting, to say the least.
Rielle inadvertently exposes herself as a possible prophesied queen after saving her best friend from an assassination attempt. She is then forced to go through a series of "tests" to prove whether she is a queen of light or a queen of blood. If she fails any of the tests, it means her death.
One thousand years later, Queen Rielle is a well-known legend to a bounty hunter named Eliana. Eliana joins forces with a rebel captain after her mother vanishes and learns more is at stake than she realized.
There is a connection between the two women and storylines but I don't like to give away spoilers. I did find "Furyborn" to be one of those novels that is hard to get into at first but becomes more interesting the more you read. I also found it hard to connect or like the two women but the storyline drew me in enough that I didn't care. I wanted to know what was going to happen next. This is one series that I really want to continue reading and I am expecting the series to get better and better.
by Katie Moran
The first installment of Claire Legrand’s Emporium series, Furyborn, deals with a feud and prophecy. The dual point of view spans millennia, alternating between two powerful narrators, Rielle and Eliana, each of whom is fighting her own battle. The overall plot deals with the fine line between what is accepted and what is right. Legrand’s characters frequently must choose between sacrifice and conscience or the greater good and the easy path. These types of dynamics make each of their struggles, losses, and triumphs feel genuinely authentic to the reader.

Legrand’s artful storytelling allows each character to fully inhabit the world that they’re narrating to us. Time is the greatest barrier between the two strong story lines, and the use of time as a deviation for our main characters gives the necessary depth and clout to the overall progression of the novel. Legrand’s ability to craft a tale is portrayed in the way the author seamlessly layers Rielle and Eliana’s narratives, ensuring that each keeps pace with the other and allowing the necessary information from one to permeate and aid in our understanding of the other.

Although both of our protagonists, Eliana, the dread of Orline, and Rielle, the Sun Queen,  have faults enough to match their endurance and heart, each woman has a strong sense of remorse. The underlying tone of accountability that results o really humanizes  these larger than life characters. There are brief moments throughout when the voices of the two begin to sound minutely similar, but it would seem this was a conscious decision of Legrand’s given the relationship of the two despite the eons that stand between them.

Overall, Furyborn deals with the common yet never ending cosmic struggle between what is right and what is wrong. Legrand has done a wonderful job in creating characters able to carry the burden of such a common struggle while remaining intriguing and readable. Though there are fleeting mentions of some bisexual representation in the novel, there is little follow through on the matter. However, Furyborn is only the first installment, and there is still hope for more inclusive and well-rounded moments in the trilogy.
One of my favorite books of all time! I can already foresee myself reading this book many, many times. I loved the characters. You can never go wrong with two badass women. I loved it. Everyone just needs to read this.