Furyborn (The Empirium Trilogy)

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 22 May 2018

This classic fantasy inspired, angeltastic first in a trilogy is is straight YA, but still has enough depth to interest a wider audience.

Easily the best part is the bright cinematic nature of the background, the sense of place and history that allows the book a greater impact than the plot would give it alone. It's appealing on so many levels- the elemental magic, the events and individuals of the mythic past, legendary beasts, battles between angels and humanity... It's these bits that made me want to delve deeper.

The two main characters, Rielle and Eliana, have alternating short chapters that make the reader fly though the book, serving to keep the tension high but the...

I think I’m going to rate this 4/5 or 4.25/5

I did really enjoy this book and the concept of the Angels which was very fascinating. Most of the character were excellent and enjoyable while some of them were horrible to read. I always find anything to do with angels such an interesting story. This did remind me of Deadmen Walking by Sherrilyn Kenyon.

I think most high fantasy lovers will enjoy this book. It’s full of deceit, lies, war, magic, friendship, family and the chosen one trope.

The book is split into two different timelines from two different points of view. The two POVs are from Rielle and Eliana, Rielles chapters are set in the past while Elianas are set sometime after. I’m...

See Full Review

TWO QUEENS, one blessed and one wicked. TWO POVS, one of the past and one of the present. TWO KINGDOMS, one fallen and the other a pit of hell. TWO SCRUMPTIOUS BOYS, one is a prince and one is a wolf. Are you in?

"We live in a world where good kings die and those foolish enough to hope for something better are killed where they stand."

Mark my words, y'all: this series will go down in book history as one of the most epic YA fantasy series of all time.

LE PLOT:

Alrighty, let's start you off with the official synopsis. No, no, I am not being a lazy reviewer you muggles - I am actually doing you a favour. This book isn't meant to be thoroughly researched before...

See Full Review
Definitely can’t wait for the next book!!! Epic story telling! Such a great and amazing read!! Immediately put this on your TBR list!!  It will be at the top of charts for YA Fantasy no doubt!
From the beginning this held my attention! That’s not something easy to do anymore.

Furyborn was not put down from beginning to end. Believe me, adulting was hard to do during this read.

The characters were throughly thought out and well rounded. World building was captivating and like nothing else out there!

Claire Legrand has a hit with Furyborn, the first book in the Empirium trilogy. It hooked me in from the start and was a great read. Both protagonists, Rielle and Eliana, were strong, confident young women learning to navigate their unjust worlds and situations. Their realistic flaws only add to their character and draws the reader into their journeys.
I only had two small problems with the novel. First, I would have liked to seen the author add more background on the world of Avitas and the Empirium. Also, the climax and ending felt a bit flat. I expected more considering the buildup but the ending felt clipped.
I did enjoy this novels and would recommend this book to my older...

See Full Review
Good read! The book had many twists and turns within it.  The magical possessions were great for their characters. It was difficult putting this book down. Cn't wait for the 2nd book to come out!
Furyborn is my favorite book of 2018 so far. I was given a free copy in exchange for an honest review and here it is. I tough the story was a bit hard to get into at first, The world they describe is a little complicated and it is hard to get into the story with all the different characters ans also with the difference with the two main heroin’s stories : Eliana and Rielle. But once you get used to it…. my god is that story good! I loved but Eliana and Rielle and i cannot decide wich one i prefered...If you love fantasy, legends, romance, action, you will love Furyborn.
I wanted to like this book more than I did. I just don't think I'm a huge lover of Fantasy. I saw a lot of hype and decided to give it a try. I'm not sad I read it, but I wasn't really impressed either. It took me a while to read it because it took me a long time to actually get into it and become invested, and even then I wasn't super invested. I was more determined to finish it than anything.

This book definitely lived up to its hype. Even at over 500 pages it was so easy to read. I just kept wanting to read another chapter. A lot of this book reminds me of my favorite series Throne of Glass as well as many other fantasy novels.
I really loved Rielle's POV and story better but the way she connected the two in the end was great. I have never read a book in which the main character is at first revealed to be seen in a villainous way. I love how she shows the struggle Rielle went through and starts to unfold the story of how we got to that first scene.
I felt that the best part about Furyborn was the descriptions of the 7 "trials" and fighting. It was amazing.
I...

See Full Review

An enjoyable fantasy story, not without a few hitches, but this one will have me going back for the sequel—as yet, still Untitled.

From the beginning, through several sets of introductions to characters, plots, and settings, the novel felt confusing and busy. An easy case of too many characters and too quick a rotation through their points-of-view. Here, in the first act (assuming the three-act structure) the novel dips quite often into the skimmable realm and the characters, at various times, feel fairly standard and stock with predictable voices.

Rielle—heroine number one—brings intrigue, power, and mystery to the table and is an easy character to like and care about. Her relationships...

See Full Review

I enjoyed reading Furyborn overall. It's a "highly anticipated" YA fantasy series, and while it didn't break the genre, like I hoped it would, it was a fun read.

At 512 pages, I got through the book surprisingly fast, especially the first third and the last third. If I had casually picked up this book at the bookstore and sampled the prologue, however, I might not have picked up the book at all. Unlike some other reviewers, I found the prologue to be confusing, and Simon to be annoying, and if I hadn't gotten this from NetGalley, I might have put the book down. I'm glad I continued, however. The story picks up quickly, and I liked Rielle and Eliana (mostly).
...

See Full Review

***I receive this ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.***

I was going to give this a 4 star until I realized that this is clearly not YA despite being labelled YA. There were some detailed sex scenes in this book that are not appropriate for YA books.

As an adult book I enjoyed this though. I had some issues at the beginning with so much information being thrown at me but it all came together at the end.

I liked Eliana's POV the most. Although towards the end I did start to not like her as much. Just too reckless for me.

I loved that she was bisexual. This is the first time I'm reading a book about a Bi MC.

I found Rielle to be a bit whiny so I didn't...

See Full Review

I had heard so much about this book and was so happy to have my wish granted on Netgalley! This type of fantasy is right up my alley and I was excited to see if it lived up to the hype. I'm going to be honest in this review - this book was great in many ways and fell flat for me in others. The synopsis does a good job of explaining the basis of the book but my biggest question was how was it going to differ from other fantasies like it, and hopefully this review will help those of you with the same question!

The story is told following two different women worlds apart. Rielle grew up in the royal court and is best friends (and has a secret crush) on the Crown Prince. She also has the...

See Full Review
Another YA must read for fantasy lovers! Claire Legrand is a master of cliffhangers - Every. Single. Chapter. of the alternating stories of Rielle and Eliana!! A lot happens in this first book but you know there is still a lot more to come as Rielle & Eliana's stories start to converge and the missing pieces are revealed. I thoroughly enjoyed it!

Furyborn is the first book in Claire Legrand’s Empirium Trilogy – a young adult fantasy series that is more of an additive to the genre than a real treat in itself. I fear the market is more or less saturated at the moment, and nothing revolutionary is on the horizon. I feel like I’m waiting for the next big thing. And even if there is a great new series in the making – this, unfortunately, isn’t it.

Hailed as a must-read of 2018, Furyborn indeed offers an intriguing premise. In Celdaria, one of the nations of Avitas, where magical powers are executed and harnessed through different elements and the all-encompassing empirium, young Rielle is destined for greatness. According to an ancient...

See Full Review

Ok, this book has a lot of hype and I can see why. I want to start off by saying that I really liked it - but it took me quite some time to do that. There is a lot going on here, a lot of info dumping, and half the novel is pretty much establishing the world and how the culture and magic in it works. I almost put the book down after the prologue when I was left going "Who??? What??? Huhhhh???" This is a pretty common fantasy novel problem, but it was so heavy-handed that it was hard for me to enjoy anything until about the 60% mark.

The cinematic writing style both helps and hinders. While I felt like I was watching a movie when the action got going and things were cool, I had a...

See Full Review
I was absolutely BLOWN AWAY by Furyborn. Weeks after I've finished reading it, I still think about it when considering what to read next. The writing is incredible, the characters had me at hello, the world-building is masterful. I haven't been so impressed with a YA fantasy book since Seraphina! I highly recommend Furyborn to all my YA reader friends and even to those who love fantasy but don't usually read YA.

I was sent this book as an advanced copy by the publisher via NetGalley for reviewing purposes, but all opinions are my own.
Furyborn follows two different women who live centuries apart. One of those is Rielle Dardenne, who, when assassins ambush her best friend, reveals her ability to perform all of the seven kinds of elemental magic. In this world, the only people who should have these abilities are the prophecised Sun Queen and Blood Queen, one with the power to save the world and one to destroy it. So, to prove to the world that she is the Sun Queen, she has to endure seven trial, each one focused on one particular element.
Then, after several years, we follow Eliana Ferracora, an...

See Full Review

Is it me or were there were a few elements from Daughter or Smoke and Bone in here? I can’t put my finger on what else this reminded me of, but it felt like a combination of a few other series that I’ve read. I don’t know how I feel about that. I don’t know how I feel about this story in general.

Despite my middle of the road rating, I’ll probably continue with the series. If only because this one just felt like the setup and I want to see if it pays off down the line. Very little was actually resolved and what was revealed wasn’t altogether surprising (a lot of it is pretty easily guessed). I’m hoping there’s less buildup and more action going forward.

The jumping back and forth every...