Murder at Broadcast Park

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 14 Oct 2017

Characters were well developed.  The plot was intriguing.   Loved the descriptiveness of the book. I would like to read more from this author
Good mystery! !! I really enjoyed the characters and Very good plot.
A quick fast read about murder in the news room.  Good details and insight into the business of "telling the truth"; so to speak.  Enjoy
Murder at Broadcast Park”  takes place in a television broadcast station and is a light entertaining read.

When some of the employees are found dead the station finds itself at the center of the news reports.

This is an original plot line and very clever in it's structure. It is a fabulous debut and one I really enjoyed.

The characters are relatable and the twists and surprises kept on coming.

Highly entertaining and recommended
Netgalley provided me with a free copy in exchange for an honest review. Even though Murder at Broadcast Park has the potential to be a great book, in large because of the setting and plot, it fails to live up to that potential and isn’t really my cup of tea.

The story revolves around a Santa Barbara TV station and follows the premise that a station never wants to be its own news. This is exactly what happens to the CBS station, when multiple employees are found dead. I haven’t read a murder mystery that takes place at a news station before, so that made for an original plot and setting. It shows that the author has a lot of knowledge on the subject, as the mystery is weaved together with aspects about the inner workings of the TV station. It was fun to read about the competitiveness and the constant search for newsworthy items, despite the ongoing murder investigation. There was also more than enough intrigue, like affairs and cover-ups, to keep the story going.

However, the writing style did not work for me at all. The story is told from a third person point of view, but the author has the tendency to switch point of views  quickly, jumping from the thoughts of one character to the thoughts of another character in the space of a page. Yet, at the same time, the characters seem to lack some depth. This applies most of all to the villain of the story, who is portrayed as the ultimate bad guy without much insight into his motifs.

I sometimes did not like the word choice and I thought that the dialogue felt unrealistic and unnatural, which was not helped by the fact that characters often address the person they are speaking to by name multiple times during one conversation. Despite the fact that the pacing is good most of the time, it sometimes did seem a bit rushed or off. For example, at one point a sex scene starts abruptly in one sentence only to end the next.

Significant attention is giving to a panhandling subplot in the second half of the book, to the point that I was sure it had something to do with the murders. However, towards the end of the book, no direct link between both plots had been established. Even though the panhandling story was incredibly interesting, it felt random in connection to the main story. In addition, the story ends with a really open ending that I did not really like. However, this was before I knew that this book is the first installment in a trilogy. In that case, the open ending might make more sense.

To conclude, all of the above might make this an unpopular opinion, but Murder at Broadcast Park simply isn’t my thing.
John Rankin's day doesn't start as he expects as he arrives at work to discover a body. Then when his boss at the CBS station, Barry Burke, and Detective Richard Tracy arrive at the dead man's house another body is found. But what possible motive is there, what is the connection between the dead, and who is the killer(s).
The viewpoint of the story is from the studio's and their reaction to the news.
An enjoyable mystery, keeping my interest to see how it all turns out.
I really enjoyed this book.  It's and insider's look at the workings of a local TV stations, as well as a murder mystery.  The nighttime anchor is found dead in his chair and one of the new temps is found dead in the deceased anchor's bed at his house.  No one can figure out how he got to the station, or how she got into his bed.

It's a fun mystery with an interesting solution that left me a little unsatisfied.  I loved reading about the inner workings of how the news is produced.  The characters were well drawn and the book was well written and very readable.

I recommend this book, it's a great way to spend the afternoon!  Thanks to Koehler Books and NetGalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
“Murder at Broadcast Park” is a easy-to-read, lighthearted murder mystery that takes place in a television broadcast station.  Rather than focus on the police detectives trying to uncover the murderer, the story focuses on the machinations and ambitions of those at the station from the job-hungry interns looking to boost their careers, to the news managers looking to break the big story even if it involves one of their own, the concerns about the competition getting wind of the particulars, the twisted relationships among the news staff.  Much of it is obviously tongue-in-cheek.