The Scholar

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Dec 2017

Great story with interesting characters. I loved the snake people and look forward to seeing what happens in the following installments!
I really enjoyed reading this book. I was a little dubious as it's aimed at young adults, but it was totally engaging. Anna, our protagonist, knows in her heart of hearts, that she's different, and comes from "somewhere else". Little did she know, that she was from a whole different planet, where she gets returned into a dangerous plot by a tyrannical power crazed king. It's totally engaging, and I can't wait to read the next book in the series. Highly recommended!

On the surface, The Scholar, book one of The Genoa Chronicles by JJ Anders has everything a fantasy lover could want in a book series. There are mythical beings that are able to use magic, intrigue, a mystery to solve, and even a little romance. The description immediately drew me in. I settled in ready and excited to enjoy a new series. Opening the book quickly ended those feelings when I discovered that the best written part of the book was the description. I couldn’t wait to finish this book. Normally that would signal that the book is a page-turner, but in my case, I just wanted it to be over so I could read something new and forget the disappointment I felt while reading this.

Anna...

See Full Review

When I read the description for The Scholar, it held a lot of promise. Powers, destiny, adventure? Count me in! Unfortunately, the minute I started the book, the excitement quickly left. The author spends a lot of time describing how the characters look, which always annoys me because I feel like skilled authors manage to show you not tell you off you know what I mean. By the end, I had gotten very tired of hearing accounts of Anna's white hair, blue eyes, and beauty. The world building of Genoa was poor because the author threw all the information out in the span of a few pages that left me reeling. This book is just one overplayed YA trope after another and I am surprised I managed...

See Full Review
Woo hoo hoo!!! This book started with a bang, kept up the action, and YES...mic drop. It's my new favorite. This is the way to do the thing!

Rating: 5/5
Recommend: Yes
Status: PR, YA
Keeper: Yes
Want More: Absolutely Yes!
Extremely exciting and magical new world filled with danger and mystery, this is an emotionally thrilling, action packed and intriguing adventure.

Anna is not what she appears to be (your average teenage girl). She is so much more and most assuredly not of this world. In her search for answers to who she really is she comes across some very intriguing and exciting charters and travels to a magical world called Genoa (which she is told is her true home). Loved every heart pounding, thought provoking twist and turn.
ARC - I voluntarily offered to review this book with no obligations and my opinions are honest!
Anna is not like any other human girl.
She has been on the run from the general.
When she is rescued by Leian, she learns that she is from another word called Genoa.
In Genoa, she finds out that she is a daughter of a king.
Kriston was just following orders, but he knew that Anna was innocent.
This is a very rich storytelling.
I loved storytelling + the characters!
I'm frustrated like I'm Anna. I have powers I have limited knowledge of, lots of people and magic creatures trying to capture me and everyone telling me I have magic I don't know of. BUT so exciting!!!! 😁👍😍

I need book 2! NOW!
DNF

I think maybe I am just a picky reader (as much as I am a picky eater). Sometimes a book doesn't draw my in. If I can't get drawn into a book it is extremely hard for me to enjoy or read it. I can't say I finished this book. There was something about the writing style that I couldn't get in to. I feel terrible since this is my first book I got from NetGalley, who kindly gave me a free version to read. I kept trying to go back to it. Trying to keep reading, but I could not get more than a couple of pages each time.

Overall: This was not a book that was enjoyable for me.

The storyline is cool and has promise to build into something more. There's powers that are being discovered/honed, fate of the world rests on protagonist, and we even have time to check out a guy. I just think there was a bit too much going on. There are multiple perspectives throughout, although our main POV is through the heroine's eyes. Anna is searching for her family's history to see where she came from as she obviously isn't just human. When she's rescued by a wizard from another world, she see's why she was never able to figure out her heritage- she's not even from Earth! This planet she is on is in the midst of political struggle and on the brink...

See Full Review
I could not finish this book. Unfortunately, since it wasn't professionally edited, it seemed like every sentence had an error so I couldn't get into the story at all.
Hi, I'm sorry I requested this title without knowing it was for Kindle app only. I do not own a Kindle, therefore, won't be able to read the file. If there was any descriptive label announcing it was a Kindle exclusive, then I missed it.
Pay no attention to my neutral rating. NG won't allow me to send this comment without rating the book.
I found the premise of the story to be a lot more interesting than the actual book itself. I hate to say it but I've more amateur books than this one. The writing really wasn't that great along with the fact that the plot was extremely cliché and just unoriginal at all. This book was a DNF for me because I couldn't bear to finish it.

Anna knew she was different from others not only physically but she has abilities as well. Anna is left to search for answers about her identity after General Wilberg and his men kill her guardian. One day the General tracks her down, Anna is prepared to fight to the death, when suddenly she is rescued by a strange man. The man introduces himself as Wizard Leian from her home planet of Genoa and tells her he is taking her home.
Anna is taken through a portal to Genoa, a bizarre planet as unique as she is; a place where she might finally belong...if she lives. Genoa is on the verge of war and Anna, with her special powers, is the key. She must travel through Genoa gaining allies and...

See Full Review
This was a great book. It was well written and intriguing with believable characters and great world building.  I enjoyed Anna and Kriston's journey very much and was never once bored. I was not suprised to hear that both the authors involved had won awards for their work in the past as their quality or writing really shows through !

The Scholar by J. J. Anders is the first of two books in The Genoa Chronicles. It is a YA fantasy story about Anna a young girl who has never fit in on Earth. She knows she is different, all she has to do is look in the mirror and see her white hair and translucent skin to confirm this. She also has this unique magical gift where she can acquire all the knowledge in a book just by touching its cover.
Despite searching all her life, Anna has never found another like herself. She has absorbed knowledge from books in libraries all over the world and successfully avoided capture by the military in her quest to learn about herself. It appears her luck has run out, or maybe she has become...

See Full Review
I couldn't make it through this one. It sounded very interesting from the description, but I have to say the book seems to be lacking. It could use some more editing.

The Scholar is a book I have been looking forward to reading because I am a fan of both authors, so I do as really interested in seeing what they've come up with and I wasn't disappointed. In the vast sea of YA books, this is still a standout. The Scholar is about Anna, a girl who is well... Otherworldly. She is not like other humans, she has near translucent skin, amazing magical abilities and longevity of life. Anna has been mingling among humans for decades on the run from the villainous military general who has been hunting her. She has the look of a teenager so it is easier to blend in. But it all comes to a stop when on a particular night, after a dreadful mission to procure...

See Full Review

I'm not going to post an online review. This book badly needs editing and a better story. So much time is spent discussing the heroine's hair and her amazing translucent skin and too little attention is paid to the part where she's mind-raping a librarian and thinks it would be rude to mind-rape her even more. I'm struggling to find something positive to say. At one point, I was counting how many paragraphs in a row could start with gerunds: Forcing, sliding, glancing, knowing, sprinting...

The heroine is the worst kind of marysue self insertion and the story suffers from it. I've found some overlooked gems on Netgalley when picking an overlooked self-published...

See Full Review
I enjoyed discovering the new amazing world of Genoa and all its magical creatures. What a fun paced crazy ride with great characters! Magic, Dragons, Wizard, Hunky shifter men, what more could you want in a book?