Betrayed

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Nov 2018

* I was sent an earc from netgalley for an honest review.  I thought that Betrayed was an ok anthology. There were some stories that I absolutely loved and others that we just not for me. The Burthmark and the Brand by Warren Moore I really disliked. However, stories such as Soap by Wendy Tyson and Smokehouse by Shane Gericke I thought we’re very well written and keep me from wanting to put the book down. Overall a 3.5 Star read for me.
Betrayed is an anthology of short emotional stories about domestic violence written by twenty-two authors. Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the advance copy.
I don't typically go for anthologies - always that "hit or miss' concern - but definitely glad I did for this one. Big fan of Allison Brennan, which is what caught my attention, and she doesn't disappoint, as expected. Really enjoyed reading all of the other authors & will be looking into their other writings. Thanks to Netgalley & publisher for being granted this opportunity!
I love short stories. When I saw this book listed with so many of my favorite authors, I couldn't click request fast enough. I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but WOW. The stories are dark, well-written, intriguing, and several will send chills down your spine, but oh, so dark. I could only read a few at a time before I had to set the book aside and come back to it, which is what makes the fact they are short stories so great.
The characters are layered and so authentic, even in a brief amount of pages, that it's hard on your heart to watch them go through such anguish. And, honestly, it should be. This book deals with abuse and violence that some people face everyday so the stories should stay with you long after you've turned the page. Bravo to the authors for donating their stories and allowing the profits to benefit organizations that help survivors of domestic violence.
Betrayed : Powerful Stories of Kick-Ass Crime Survivors is an anthology comprised of 22 bestselling, award winning, and critically acclaimed authors who have joined forces to raise money for those who have been affected by Domestic Violence. These stories are not about victims, they are those who have been through unimaginable hell, betrayed by those who they trusted, and above all else - they are survivors.

Allison Brennan is one of my most favorite authors, and her story Mirror, Mirror is what initially drew me to this anthology, which of course was fantastic. I have also discovered several new-to-me authors as well, and that's always a great thing. I am grateful for these authors, and their selflessness of contributing to this anthology, as well as donating the proceeds for such an important cause.

I strongly recommend this anthology, and all of the terrific authors involved.

I have voluntarily reviewed this complimentary copy provided by the publisher via NetGalley.
Betrayed is an anthology of stories of victims who have become survivors. They have survived domestic abuse by parents, spouses, siblings. Their experiences have changed them irrevocably, but they have come through the other side, scars and all.

I always find it tricky to review (and read) anthologies. I usually get them solely for reading a short story by one of my favourite authors (in this instance, Allison Brennan), and so read the others since I'm along for the ride. I find it can be a bit hit and miss. Some stories are outstanding and you don't want to end (which is always good because hey, it means I've potentially discovered a new favourite author!), and others you struggle through (but it's ok, because at least it's a short story not a full novel).

This was no different. I'll have to say, I enjoyed more than I struggled through. The main one I wanted, Mirror, Mirror by Allison Brennan was a stand out and showcased her usual brilliance (although that's one I would have liked to go for longer!).

An enjoyable read. And the great thing about anthologies, is you can read one story and then put it down and get on with life. You don't feel the urge to push through the whole novel in one sitting because you just have to know what happened.

**I received a copy of this ebook through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review**
Betrayed is a powerful collection of stories.  All center on the idea of domestic violence.  It should not be read with the lights out.  I am taking them one at a time.  This gives me more time to savor, but also more time for each story to stick with me.

I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this novel.
All the short stories are about domestic violence.  Some are very hard to read and some a bit disturbing.  There was some poetic justice for some of the victims too.  But all-in-all, I am glad that I read these stories.  Made me want to devote some time to a women's shelter.
This book has different stories from authors. Each story has someone being betrayed in some way or another. I love the way each story is different and the writer has different ways of telling their own story. These are superior writers! If you like mystery, murder, and suspense then what are you waiting for? Get your own copy and enjoy! I would like to thank Net Galley for a copy of this book. The review is voluntarily done and of my own opinion.
I loved this book.

22 mixed crime stories that cover just about everything.

Tales of victims and survivors which make you cheer and and just adore them in equal measures.

At times these stories are difficult to read but what an amazing way to keep you up all night. This is a fabulous anthology of emotional and raw experiences that is perfect to make you aware of just how lucky you are, and open your eyes to the hardships that some have to endure
A powerful collection of unforgettable crime fiction stories with mystery and a lot of suspense by a remarkable group of authors. A highly recommended read! I also like the fact that the proceeds benefit crime victims. Well done!
With 22 different stories by 22 different authors, all highlighting domestic violence, this was a tough book to read. Many of the stories were incredibly well written and of course, some were better than others. It's such a gut wrenching topic that it was difficult to read one story after another for over 400 pages. I understand that the objective of this book is awareness, but it was too much for me to handle. I didn't finish the entire book. I had to pick and choose. And in the end, I put it down but picked up my laptop and made a donation to a local shelter for abused women and children.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the ARC I received in exchange for my honest review.
An interesting mix of short stories by diverse authors.  The novella by Allison Brennan has all new characters so is truly a stand-alone.
This was a great group of short Crime Stories.  Some were better than others but overall, it was fantastic!

My thanks to netgalley and Air Publishing for this advanced readers copy.
Loved some of the stories but also didn't like others. I can't say I would read this again but some of the stories had lots of suspense and were great .This was just an okay book.
A great anthology of short stories by some of today's best crime writers.
It is a selection of stories of crime survivors and there isn't one story I didn't enjoy.
I was familiar with a few of the authors, but now I have found some new authors who I will hopefully read more from.
If you are a crime fan but just want some quick stories, then you should buy this.
I loved it