Cover Image: Don't Look for Me

Don't Look for Me

I struggled with this book. It took me a while to get through it. It just wasn't a book for me. Hopefully, I will get a chance to read and enjoy another book of his.
This is the first book in the Carter Blake series I have read. The prologue hooks you and definitely peaks your interest. Carol Langford is on the run, but she doesn't really know why or from whom she is running. All she knows is that she needs to disappear before it's too late. A series of incidents and aliases bring her face to face with Carter Blake six years later, a man Carol was hoping she would never see again.

Things get very interesting about halfway into the book as the plot begins to unfold. It turns out that no one is who they seem to be. Secrets and deception are uncovered and Blake has to put the pieces together to solve the puzzle.

The characters in this book are dynamic and intriguing. Blake reminds me of Jack Reacher. In fact, the other main character, Trenton Gage, seems a lot like Reacher as well. This sets up a fast paced game of cat and mouse as they try to outwit each other in a race against time, culminating in an epic standoff that makes for a shocking conclusion.

I would recommend this book to fans of thrillers and suspense. I received this as a free ARC from Pegasus Books on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I think this book would make more sense if I read the previous novel first.  That said Carter  is one of those people who you want around when trouble abounds. . He also brings trouble  .
I hate coming into a series in the middle, and I try to avoid that. However the synopsis of this book sounded interesting enough that I wanted to read it, not knowing it was book 4. This is not a stand alone, there are call backs to events that happen in the previous books, but it is a very well written novel, with a fast paced and thrilling storyline that is clearly left open for more. Not sure if it's enough to get me to read books 1-3, but I'm curious about the earlier stories.
Don’t Look For Me opens with an unknown woman hiding in a safe house, where we find her restless and angry with the man who sent her there. Deciding not to remain, she leaves behind only a note: “Don’t look for me.”

Six years later, some-time government agent Carter Blake’s warm, sunny getaway is interrupted by an e-mail from his vanished girlfriend’s address. The woman behind the keyboard isn’t his missing woman, however, and he travels to Las Vegas to unravel the reasons precipitating the message.

Amicably divorced journalist & author Sarah Blackwell was Rebecca Smith’s neighbor and friend. When Rebecca’s husband, Dom, shows up suddenly to retrieve her from a neighborhood baby shower, Sarah is troubled. Troubled segues into alarm when Dom and Rebecca’s house is empty the next morning. After witnessing a break-in to the Smith’s deserted home, Sarah is unhappy with the police’s brush-off response and enters the house herself with a spare key. She discovers a strange journal, with a list of multiple names, and an odd page directing the reader to use a particular e-mail address in case of emergency. The day after Sarah sends her hesitant e-mail, Carter Blake arrives on her doorstep.

Between the two of them, they discover that “Rebecca Smith” is really Carter’s long-gone girlfriend, Carol Langford, and a hit man is on her tale. Finally disregarding her terse command of “Don’t look for me,” Carter and Sarah catch up to Carol/Rebecca, and her husband, crossing paths with not only the hit man, but the group who hired him.

A jewel heist, a dirty cop, Vegas mob, and more lead the reader with Carter to the underbelly of Las Vegas, abandoned Arizona ghost towns, and rabbit trails in between. I’d not encountered Mason Cross or his Carter Blake series previously, but I’ll be checking out the earlier books for Carter’s back story.
Don’t Look For Me is a thrilling ride through the desert involving a couple on the run, someone chasing them, and someone else good at finding people.  After reading a few of these thrillers, you begin to wonder just how many people out there are on the run and hiding under mysterious aliases.

It’s one of those books easy to dive into and hard to put down.  Basically, it’s a good story told by a good storyteller.

Although it’s the fourth book in the series, I found it was just fine to dive right in and reading the first three books was not a prerequisite.

Many thanks to the publisher for providing a copy for review.
Mason Cross delivers another exhilarating thriller in his fourth novel in the Carter Black series. Carter is contacted via email by Sarah, a former news reporter who befriends a neighbor who leaves unexpectantly without warning under extenuating circumstances that draw both Sarah and Carter on a hunt to locate her before the bad guys do. Could this woman be someone from Carter's past that does not wish to be found? What is she hiding and who is out to kill her at all cost? The characters are easy to relate to, and the story was both believable and engaging