Sometimes I Lie

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 13 Mar 2018

Amber Reynolds is in a coma, but she can hear everyone and everything around her, although they do not suspect.  While she searches for clues about what happened to her, in her memories and in the conversations she overhears, a mysterious, menacing man begins stalking her hospital room.  Great thriller with surprising twists! I highly recommend it to everyone. I’m sure you will not want to put it down, not even for a minute.

The opening lines set the stage very well.

<i>My name is Amber Reynolds. There are three things you should know about me:
1. I’m in a coma.
2. My husband doesn’t love me anymore.
3. Sometimes I lie.</i>

Amber is in a coma, she can’t move or speak, but she can hear everyone around her. She doesn't remember what happened to put her in a coma, but as she listens, memories slowly come back to her.

This story alternates between the "then" and "now" of Amber's story, meaning before and after the accident that put her in a coma. Also in the story are entries from a young girl's childhood diary.

Multiple timelines and an unreliable...

See Full Review
It was a bit slow in the beginning. It took a while for me to get into, but about halfway through it finally took off. I didn’t see the twist coming at all.

Flatiron Books and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of Sometimes I Lie. I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion was freely given.

Amber Reynolds awakens from a coma, unable to respond to those around her and unfamiliar with the circumstances surrounding her apparent accident. As she contemplates her past, Amber starts to remember. As the situation becomes more dire, will Amber be able to regain enough function to get help before it is too late?

The author utilizes the common techniques in modern day psychological thrillers of flashbacks, misdirection, and unreliable narrators to keep the reader from guessing the eventual outcome of the story. The...

See Full Review

A main character who is in a coma and sometimes lies. I'm all in!

Quite a spellbinding read from start to finish! We are not sure how Amber ended up in the hospital in this coma , but she does admit that sometimes she lies. This was like a puzzle and I was trying to put the pieces together, but couldn't entirely trust all the pieces. Very cleverly written and I loved hearing what Amber was thinking while in this coma sizing up everyone in the room and giving us her insight. Four stars because I felt there was almost too much going on. I'm not sure how to explain it, but with all the lies I think I wanted a more defined plot line.

The narrative switches from Now (in coma) to...

See Full Review

I Loved this book! I was so excited to read this one., and it passed my expectations. I loved how the story was told back and fourth from past and present from multiple perspectives. It captured my attention the entire time I read it. There were MANY twists and turns in this book. Just when you thought you knew what was going on it changed. The author did a great job on writing and story was captivating! It was a slow reveal that shocked me as I read on until the very end, and I so didn’t see the ending coming.

To me this was a true mystery and psychological thriller. I HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone who loves mystery/psychological thrillers. Please read it, you won’t be...

See Full Review
Super twisty.   Even when you are finished, it is a book you think about for a while.  I can't wait for someone else to read it so that I can discuss it with them.  #Sometimesilie  #Spreadthelie

When I read the tagline for this book last year, I knew I HAD to read SOMETIMES I LIE! Check it out:
"My name is Amber Reynolds. There are three things you should know: 1. I'm in a coma. 2. My husband doesn't love me anymore. 3. Sometimes I lie."

This slow-building psychological thriller is led by the ever-popular unreliable narrator, leading the reader to question the veracity of her every thought. The mystery of what led Amber to her coma kept me reading but ultimately the abundance of unbelievable twists during the second half of the book made the plot feel convoluted and took me out of the story.

After a horrible accident she doesn't remember, Amber is...

See Full Review
Wow, just wow. This book takes you for a fantastic ride. I think it would be best to go into it blind just be ready to stay up for  "just one more chapter"!
*Thanks to Flatiron Books and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.*

Wow! I just finished this and am at a loss for words. It's good; really good. Still, I feel like I missed something and want to reread to piece it all together. This unreliable narrator may have just been a tad bit too unreliable for me! None the less, it was a thrilling ride with twists and turns all while the main character is in a coma. Obviously, it takes a great writer to make that entertaining.

That being said, I'm hoping that one day the author will reveal just what the ending meant or that I'll read an epic interpretation that satisfies me.
What a thrill ride! I am glad I read this book, it delivers such a story.
We're told from the get-go that Amber lies. And boy does she ever lie! Feeney did a marvelous job slowly unraveling her lies, sometimes in a rather matter-of-fact way and other times my mouth dropped. In fact, I had to go back and reread sections two or three times to fully wrap my brain around some of her whoppers which is unusual for me. Meticulously paced with an intricate plot that still left me guessing a bit in the end, which I liked. While I admit that sometimes I need an ending wrapped neatly in a bow, this one leaves a few question marks and some uncertainty which felt right. After all, Amber is a self-proclaimed liar.
Bold, provocative thriller, a real page turner. I really enjoyed this book!

According to a University of Massachusetts study, 60% of adults admit that, in a ten-minute conversation, they’ll lie at least once.

Really, based on this actual fucking science, you should never believe anything anyone tells you. Ever.

And, now that you’ve learned that lesson, you’re ready to read Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney.

We meet the protagonist of this authentically perplexing thriller, Amber Reynolds, shortly after she has fallen into a coma.

What events lead to her current state of unconsciousness?

This is the question we will spend the entire novel seeking the answer to.

What we do know, right off the bat, is that Amber — who can hear everything that’s going on around...

See Full Review
3.5 stars - this was clever and entertaining.  I look forward to future books from this author.

Amber Reynolds wakes up in a hospital bed. She's conscious but unable to move or speak. Even though she can't remember anything about the incident that caused her injuries, she's certain that her husband has something to do with it. As the professional and marital troubles that plague her present and the traumas that defined her past come to light, the circumstances leading to Amber's misfortune become clearer.

There are so many reasons why I shouldn’t like this book–it features the world's most unreliable narrator, amnesia, some tricky trickiness, and the very last page left me irritated AND confused–but I loved every second of the reading experience! The story...

See Full Review
One of the rare books that captures my immediate attention, keeps it and then smashes everything I thought I knew with one sentence.
Oh My Word.  This was one of the beat books I’ve read in a while.   I was on the edge of my seat the entire time and there wasn’t a dull moment.  I kept reminding myself of the title and guessing whether Amber was telling the truth.   You may still wonder at the end
Although I did stay engaged throughout the story and enjoyed it, I have to admit that it was very confusing to me.  I get the whole unreliable narrator but parts of this story were all over the place.  There were times where I just didn't know what was real and what was fake and then started getting confused on who was who.  I think one of those ideas could have been fleshed out more than the other instead of both of them having so many confusing details and I would have liked it more.  It was not a bad book by any means however it didn't give me the WOW factor that I like in my thrillers.
Absolutely loved this book. Hooked me from the very beginning. There were times when I thought I knew what was going to pan out and then I was instantly thrown for a loop. For anyone who loves to read thrillers and fast paced novels, this book is for you! The unreliable narrator keeps you guessing up until the very end.