Sometimes I Lie

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 13 Mar 2018

This one was a little odd to me. I almost feel like I missed something along the way. Slightly farfetched. I was hoping for more.
Alright, I have only one word for this book, WOW! And yes, it is all in capital! A great debut novel. It is hard to put down once you started. And yes, I was late writing this review. It got buried under other books and just found it. Now, I feel I lost out because I could have enjoyed this months ago.

This is one of those books that you can’t really write a review without revealing the plot. So, I will just say that this is a must read. If you are going to read just one book this summer, “Sometimes I Lie” should be it. Rated T for Teens. Parental guidance strongly advised due to some adult situations.
I thought this book was pretty good. Alice Feeney is good at deception. There were twists in this book that I did not expect.
It's the day after Christmas and Amber Reynolds is a 35-year-old radio presenter who wakes up in a hospital bed. Her mind is completely conscious, but her body is completely unresponsive.  She can hear everyone around her but they have no idea of that.  Amber cannot remember what happened to put her in the coma.

The story alternates among her paralyzed present, the week before her accident, and a series of childhood diaries from twenty years ago.

Set aside some serious time to read this story because once you start this book, I promise you will not be able to stop. If you're like me, you'll definitely be creeped out, but for just that reason, you'll want to read more. Author Alice Feeney keeps readers constantly stepping the wrong way in this captivating novel.  I loved trying to figure out which of the information was lies and exactly who we could really trust in this story. Be careful though, once you think have this thing figured out another twist will fly your way! This suspense novel is a definitely labeled a "must read" by me!

I received an advanced readers digital copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review. I was not required to provide a positive review but I chose to because it was a great book!! Thank you NetGalley!
This was an almost perfect psychological thriller.  Amber Reynolds is lying in the hospital in a coma after a horrific accident, yet able to hear everything going on around her.  How did she get in the hospital and who is responsible for her condition? The novel goes from present day (the hospital) to the events leading up to the day of the accident to diaries written in the early 90s, building up to some crazy twists that will blow your mind.   When you think you've figured it out, guess again. I knocked off one star for a couple of minor plot points that I didn't feel were necessary and that honestly just seemed out of place within the rest of the narrative, but overall this was a superb thriller that I devoured in one day.
I had some trouble getting into this book, and parts of it were a little disturbing.  The ending was a complete surprise though!  What a twist.

Amber Reynolds is in a coma after an accident.  She isn't conscious but she's aware of some of what's going on around her, but can't remember exactly how the accident happened.  The book goes back and forth from the present in her hospital bed to her childhood past.

Amber clearly has a lot of issues and the reader isn't really aware of them until the end.  I recommend this book.  Thanks to HQ and NetGalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
The opening lines set the stage very well.

My name is Amber Reynolds. There are three things you should know about me:
1. I’m in a coma.
2. My husband doesn’t love me anymore.
3. Sometimes I lie.

Amber is in a coma, she can’t move or speak, but she can hear everyone around her. She doesn't remember what happened to put her in a coma, but as she listens, memories slowly come back to her.

It was a bit slow in the beginning, and it took about halfway through for it to really catch me in its snares. I didn’t see the twist coming at all and I love when a book is able to surprise me!
Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney is one of those books you don’t want to know much about before reading it. I can tell you its a psychological thriller that kept me on my toes and had twists I wasn’t expecting.
Amber wakes up in a hospital. She can hear what is going on around her but she is in a coma and no one knows she has woken up. The story alternates between Amber in her coma noticing what is happening around her, the weeks leading up to her accident and entries from a   childhood journal.
I enjoyed the writing and though it was a bit slow getting started once it got going I couldn’t put it down. If you like twisty psychological thrillers you will want to give this one a try.
This was a twisty read and I did enjoy it a lot, but for me it didn't quite live up to the hype. I think I particularly liked the way before, before, and after format of the chapters.
RATING: 3.5 STARS
​(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY​)
(Review Not on Blog)

I think I am getting fed up with the "gripping psychological suspense novels with a twist at the end you never saw coming". We have the annoying or at the best flawed, characters no one likes. They are victims, the killer or participated in something bad...and the twist is that usually someone missing or dead is actually alive or the good guy is really bad, or it is all a dream. This rant is not directed just at this book, but just in general, and as a preface to my review.

This is not a bad book. It has an engaging story that keeps you reading but nothing out of the ordinary happens that sets it apart from all the other psychological suspense book. If you want a quick easy predictable read, this is a great book for that mood. If you are wanting something that moves you or is different, I would say just pass on this one.
Amber Reynolds is in a coma, but she can hear everyone and everything around her, although they do not suspect.  While she searches for clues about what happened to her, in her memories and in the conversations she overhears, a mysterious, menacing man begins stalking her hospital room.  Great thriller with surprising twists! I highly recommend it to everyone. I’m sure you will not want to put it down, not even for a minute.
The opening lines set the stage very well.

My name is Amber Reynolds. There are three things you should know about me:
1. I’m in a coma.
2. My husband doesn’t love me anymore.
3. Sometimes I lie.

This story alternates between the "then" and "now" of Amber's story, meaning before and after the accident that put her in a coma. Also in the story are entries from a young girl's childhood diary.

Multiple timelines and an unreliable narrator make for a compelling read. I enjoyed this thriller, and found it to be entertaining, but it was a little confusing. I mean, I think I understand the ending, but who knows, maybe I got it wrong. A twisted novel worth reading.
It was a bit slow in the beginning. It took a while for me to get into, but about halfway through it finally took off. I didn’t see the twist coming at all.
Flatiron Books and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of Sometimes I Lie.  I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion was freely given.

Amber Reynolds awakens from a coma, unable to respond to those around her and unfamiliar with the circumstances surrounding her apparent accident.  As she contemplates her past, Amber starts to remember.  As the situation becomes more dire, will Amber be able to regain enough function to get help before it is too late?

The author utilizes the common techniques in modern day psychological thrillers of flashbacks, misdirection, and unreliable narrators to keep the reader from guessing the eventual outcome of the story.  The problem with this type of writing style is that the book lacks the foundation that it needs to be believable.  I found it hard to fathom that Amber and her sister would have been able to keep their pasts and their true natures hidden from those who know them best.  The cliffhanger ending of the novel left the lingering feeling of a book unfinished, which was not desirable to me.  Overall, Sometimes I Lie was a good debut novel for the author and there was enough there to spark my interest in reading more by Alice Feeney in the future.
A main character who is in a coma and sometimes lies. I'm all in!

Quite a spellbinding read from start to finish! We are not sure how Amber ended up in the hospital in this coma , but she does admit that sometimes she lies. This was like a puzzle and I was trying to put the pieces together, but couldn't entirely trust all the pieces. Very cleverly written and I loved hearing what Amber was thinking while in this coma sizing up everyone in the room and giving us her insight. Four stars because I felt there was almost too much going on. I'm not sure how to explain it, but with all the lies I think I wanted a more defined plot line.

The narrative switches from Now (in coma) to Then (before the coma). I loved trying to figure out what the lies were and who to trust. It is super twisty and just when you think you have it figured out another twist flies your way! A fast read for me because I needed to find out what was going on.
The ending was my favorite part because it leaves you questioning yourself and if you perhaps missed anything. I have a theory, but I guess I'll have to wait until the next book!
I Loved this book! I was so excited to read this one., and it passed my expectations. I loved how the story was told back and fourth from past and present from multiple perspectives. It captured my attention the entire time I read it. There were MANY twists and turns in this book.  Just when you thought you knew what was going on it changed. The author did a great job on writing and story was captivating! It was a slow reveal that shocked me as I read on until the very end, and I so didn’t see the ending coming.

To me this was a true mystery and psychological thriller. I HIGHLY recommend this book to anyone who loves mystery/psychological thrillers. Please read it, you won’t be disappointed.
*A very special thank you to the publisher Flatiron Books and NetGalley for the advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review*
Super twisty.   Even when you are finished, it is a book you think about for a while.  I can't wait for someone else to read it so that I can discuss it with them.  #Sometimesilie  #Spreadthelie
When I read the tagline for this book last year, I knew I HAD to read SOMETIMES I LIE! Check it out:
"My name is Amber Reynolds. There are three things you should know: 1. I'm in a coma. 2. My husband doesn't love me anymore. 3. Sometimes I lie."

This slow-building psychological thriller is led by the ever-popular unreliable narrator, leading the reader to question the veracity of her every thought. The mystery of what led Amber to her coma kept me reading but ultimately the abundance of unbelievable twists during the second half of the book made the plot feel convoluted and took me out of the story.

After a horrible accident she doesn't remember, Amber is trapped inside her own body. Left to her own thoughts and the voices of those around her, she tells the story of the week prior and her childhood. Lately, her husband has been unusually distant and secretive, causing Amber's fragile mental state to further deteriorate. Plus, her job as a radio personality is suddenly unstable after she finds out her boss wants to fire her unless she turns things around. Her sister, Claire, has been strangely flirty with her husband. And perhaps most troubling, her college boyfriend who she dumped without a goodbye, has returned and his intentions appear to be more sinister.

What I liked about the book was that there were several sources of tension in Amber's life. As she takes the reader through a journey through her childhood, we're left to wonder what connection this story could have to the present storyline. Who is responsible for Amber's accident? Or did she do this to herself? So many questions. I liked how the author peeled back the layers of her life, giving the reader the space to piece together the piece of the puzzle.

I've read some really clever psychological suspense thrillers over the last few years (see here, here and here). What Sometimes I Lie lacked was the kind of light hand and subtle touch that balances entertainment and shock value. Without giving too much away, there are a couple big twists in this one. For me, I figured the first big twist out pretty early on, but that's not my gripe. Once the first mind-bender was revealed, we were then given twist after turn after revelation throughout the remainder of the novel. It felt like I had psych thriller whiplash (and not the good kind). It was too much to the point of pushing my limit of believability. All of this just felt like the author was trying way to hard to shock the reader and create "gotcha" moments, instead of crafting a cunning and smart thriller.

The ending of Sometimes I Lie is somewhat confusing and open-ended, leaving room for an entirely unnecessary sequel. Lo and behold, it seems like we're getting a sequel (title here). I'm not the only reader who was left feeling frustrated and scratching their  head. To me, the ending was yet another form of manipulation from the author that felt unnatural and heavy-handed. My frustration is complicated by the book’s potential to be great. It had a enticing hook and it had the bones to be fantastic. I just wish we would have been given far less junk in the last half.

Audiobook Comments:

I loved the audiobook production of this book. While I didn't love the book itself, I really enjoyed the narrator's performance. This is the first time listening to Stephanie Racine's narration and she's one who I wouldn't hesitate to listen to again. Very entertaining listen performance-wise!

* Thanks to Macmillan Audio and Flatiron books for providing me with early copies for review. Receiving this book for free did not affect my opinion or review.
Wow, just wow. This book takes you for a fantastic ride. I think it would be best to go into it blind just be ready to stay up for  "just one more chapter"!
*Thanks to Flatiron Books and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.*

Wow! I just finished this and am at a loss for words. It's good; really good. Still, I feel like I missed something and want to reread to piece it all together. This unreliable narrator may have just been a tad bit too unreliable for me! None the less, it was a thrilling ride with twists and turns all while the main character is in a coma. Obviously, it takes a great writer to make that entertaining.

That being said, I'm hoping that one day the author will reveal just what the ending meant or that I'll read an epic interpretation that satisfies me.