Sometimes I Lie

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 13 Mar 2018

Wow, what a ride! A compulsive story that I couldn’t put down. The twist was really good and totally unexpected. Short chapters that make you want to keep reading. This reminded me a lot of Gone Girl & Girl On The Train. Like those I think this has great potential for a big screen adaptation.
Phew! What a glorious fireworks explosion of twists and turns right up to the very last page. What a brilliant psychological turn of the corkscrew leaving  me to think I had the plot all figured out when I couldn’t have been More .Wrong.  Feeney has created such a complex storyline that will leave your jaw dropping to the floor. Seriously, I have read other great suspense novels but none so deceiving and rich in structure.The novel begins with Amber in the hospital stating three truths: “My name is Amber Reynolds. 2.My husband doesn’t love me anymore 3. Sometimes I lie.” And from their the race is on.Just don’t forget to tie up your shoelaces.
Amber wakes up in a coma. She can hear people but she can not wake up. She can not remember the accident. This book is told by Amber now, in the weeks leading up to the accident, and by 20 year old journal entries. This book was quite a thrilling ride and kept me reading into the night. I was surprised many times during the book. I received an advanced readers copy from NetGalley and Flatiron Books. All opinions are my own.

4 solid stars.

This is a good book to read during the Winter Olympics, because the twists seem to come at the same pace as moguls. A real head spinner —more than any other suspense novel I remember reading. In fact I must admit that I’ve re-read the last few pages a few times and I’m still trying to figure out if I got it right.

There are a lot of enthusiastic reviews for this one, and many suggest going in blind. I agree. It opens with the narrator telling us there are three things we need to know about her: 1) she’s in a coma, 2) her husband doesn’t love her anymore and 3) sometimes she lies. And to say more would be to say too much.

It had me fully engaged. I read it in a day, keeping...

See Full Review

Thank you for the honor of reading this book.

Amber is in a coma and can hear everything going on around her. She’s afraid and has no idea how she ended up this way. She has lots of thoughts going on and so many things that have happened to her both before the accident and while in a coma.

Is it all real?

This was an author I have never read before but I will in the future. I loved this book. It kept me guessing all the way. I had a lot of surprises. Lots of on edge times wondering what was going to happen next. It was one of those stories that just grips you from the start and does not let go until the very end. Even then you wonder what will happen next. Is there going to be a sequel...

See Full Review

Sometimes I Lie is one of those books that mess with your head. I started reading this book thinking that the book was going in one direction. I wasn’t expecting the plot twist at the end of the book. I also didn’t expect the mystery of who the second narrator was. The author did a great job keeping that person’s identity secret until the end of the book. Any book that can successfully keep plot twists hidden and use red herrings correctly is a book that I recommend to anyone!!

Sometimes I Lie’s plot starts off with Amber waking up in the hospital. Having no memory of the accident, she realizes that there is something wrong with her. Her fears are confirmed when her husband and sister...

See Full Review

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

This book follows the story of Amber, who is in a coma, and how she got there. It alternates between three different timelines, her current situation being in a come, the days leading up to how she came to be in a coma, and a diary from when she was 11 years old. This was one reason why I really enjoyed this book. The alternating perspectives helped hold my interest. If the entire story was told from Amber being in a coma, it would get very boring real quick.

With the different timelines came the different possibilities of how she came to be in a coma, and who doesn’t love a who-done-it? I...

See Full Review
Another fabulous, suspenseful story. I loved how information was dribbled out, how you would think one thing then a plot point is revealed that makes you question everything. And the ending was so twisty. You can read it multiple ways and it still works for the overall story. Extremely enjoyable writing

After finding herself in a hospital, Amber realizes she can't move. She also can't speak, or open her eyes. She's in a coma, but she can hear everything happening around her. She can't remember what happened that landed her in the hospital, but she knows it wasn't good, and by listening to the chatter of people coming in and out of her hospital room, she knows the police suspect her husband.

Alternating between the week prior to her accident, her present, and a series of childhood diary entries from two decades ago, this psychological thriller questions whether or not things are really lies if you believe they are the truth...

My name is Amber Reynolds. There are...

See Full Review
Thank you for the advanced copy of this book. This thriller had me page turning all night. Would definitely recommend this one to everyone. I’m not lying about that!

4.5 stars.

Weaving back and forth between the present, the recent past and diary entries from 1991, Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney is a twist-turny, suspenseful novel that is absolutely riveting.

Amber Reynolds is in a coma yet she is aware of what is occurring around her. What she is unclear about is the sequence of events that led up to the coma. As memories begin to come back to her, she is afraid of her husband, Paul, uneasy about her sister Claire’s presence and terrified of the stranger who keeps showing up in her hospital room. Unable to make sense of these confusing facts, Amber continues to try to remember what happened to her and who us responsible for the accident that...

See Full Review
This was a great read. I was hooked from the short description, and once I read through this, let me just say I absolutely loved it. I think that the premise of this book paired with the writing is what made it so good. The pace is good as well. You're left wondering throughout, "What is the truth? What is real?" I love psychological thrillers like these that make you wonder about and question every character and their true motives throughout its entirety.
Very very good book with heart pounding action and enough twists and turns to slightly make you dizzy but keeps you turning the pages feverishly. Definitely a winner from Alice Feeney so pre order is a must. It will stay with you long after the last word. Happy reading!

I was given an advance copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This book has many plot twists, but pay careful attention and you will see how they all tie together. I found it to be an extremely entertaining read. Amber is in a coma, but she is awake. She can't move, talk or open her eyes. She doesn't remember what happened, and has to rely on the conversations of her family members to try and piece it together. Her dreams are part fantasy and part memories. There are so many secrets....then she realizes that someone is medicating her to keep her in the coma. Amber's struggle to put the puzzle of her life back together while unable to...

See Full Review
Amber is in a coma, but she can hear everything going on around her.  I had trouble with this book. Parts of the book were written in the first person from the point of view of Amber. There were other sections that were diary entries and other parts were about what happened the week before the event that caused the coma.  First person narratives are not my favorite, plus this book jumped around a lot. There was suspense and twists in the book but I just couldn’t connect with any of the characters.  I would give this book 2 1/2 stars. Thank you to net galley for an advanced readers copy of this book.
Thank you for the opportunity to read this book before publication. What an absolutely fantastic read. So many twists and turns, and I did not see that end coming. I highly recommend this book, and will be suggesting it to patrons.
Such great switch backs...made you pay close attention.  Interesting twists and turns around each corner...surprised when I read the final page...kept looking for more.
The twists and turns in this book left my head spinning! The only reason I did not give this book 5 stars is because I have many unanswered questions and some of the scenarios didn't add up. I would, however definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves a good mystery!
Wow, what a messed up head trip that was. I would definitely read more by this author. Loved the complexity and all the twists, except the one at the very end, which I found a bit cheesy. Great book though, reminded me some of Girl on the Train, The Breakdown, etc.
This was a very good book and grabbed me from the first lines.  I flew through this book, always bearing in mind the compelling title of the book: an unreliable narrator.  I gave the book four stars, as it got a little frantic and confusing toward the end.  I am very much looking forward to reading more from this author.