Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 Apr 2018

Book Description
On her sixtieth birthday, Auntie Poldi retires to Sicily, intending to while away the rest of her days with good wine, a view of the sea, and few visitors. But Sicily isn’t quite the tranquil island she thought it would be, and something always seems to get in the way of her relaxation. When her handsome young handyman goes missing—and is discovered murdered—she can’t help but ask questions.

Soon there’s an investigation, a smoldering police inspector, a romantic entanglement, one false lead after another, a rooftop showdown, and finally, of course, Poldi herself, slightly tousled but still perfectly poised.

My Thoughts
I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway...

See Full Review

From the publisher: On her sixtieth birthday, Auntie Poldi retires to Sicily, intending to while away the rest of her days with good wine, a view of the sea, and few visitors. But Sicily isn’t quite the tranquil island she thought it would be, and something always seems to get in the way of her relaxation. When her handsome young handyman goes missing—and is discovered murdered—she can’t help but ask questions . . .
Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions is a delight. Although it is the first book in a mystery series, there is a lot more going on here than is often the case with mysteries. Auntie Poldi is at a crossroads, not sure what to do with herself. She is a bit depressed and is...

See Full Review
Fans of Andrea Camilleri and Donna Leon may well enjoy this mystery featuring a woman of a "certain age" who moves to Sicily.  Enjoy the setting, the views and watch what happens to Auntie Poldi as she gets involved in solving a mystery.  The book is narrated by Poldi's nephew who is an aspiring author.  Each chapter begins with an italicized summary.
This book was not compelling but was a fine read.
A great mystery with the character of Aunt Poldi. I want to read more.
I enjoyed the plot of Auntie Poldi moving from Barvaria to Sicily.  She may drink too much to morn the death of her husband, but she hasn't lost her love of living a full life.  The sisters-in-law were had full roles as secondary characters.
I struggle with translated books - probably because I don't read enough of them.  The style of the book was different and I couldn't tell if it was the intent of the author, which would have been fine, or a relic of the translation.
Hopefully there will be more Auntie Poldie stories.

Thank you to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and NetGalley for providing an e-galley of Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions by Mario Giordano in exchange for an honest review. This mystery is narrated by the nephew of Auntie Poldi, a sixty-year-old retiree from Munich who has decided that Sicily will be ideal for her quiet, alcohol-imbued retirement. However, life changes unexpectedly when her handyman is murdered and our heroine becomes an amateur sleuth. Her meddling ways cause problems for the police officer charged with the investigation. And she also makes a nuisance of herself with the individuals that she suspects of the murder. This mystery flows well and is often quite amusing. A most...

See Full Review
I'm a fan of Italian mysteries, and Auntie Poldi ... a German woman who married a Sicilian-German and has recently retired to Sicily ... sounded like a fun character. Given that the narrator is Poldi's nephew, an aspiring author, I was expecting an Auntie Mame sort. Unfortunately, I wasn't that caught up in the story, and found Auntie Poldi rather annoying.  I gather that there is a sequel, and would probably read that just to see if she improves with acquaintance.
Sadly I could not get into this book -- a surprise since I usually love books set in Italy and stories with a mystery and quirky characters. Unfortunately, this one didn't captivate me. I can't even give a good explanation why. The writing was in third person and the descriptions seemed to be without emotion or attachment. I just didn't care about the characters or what happened to them. Just not my "cup of tea" , I guess.

When Isolde Oberrieter, better known as Poldi moves from her native Bavaria to Sicily, the homeland of her former husband Peppe, her in-laws think it might be due to depression. They also think that she might intend to settle in her apartment with a view and drink herself into oblivion.

When Poldi's handyman Valentino goes missing and eventually turns up dead, she suddenly has
more on her mind than alcohol. She decides that she will find the killer before the police. Of course, that may be easier said than done. But then again larger than life, Poldi isn't one to give up once she gets her teeth into something.

I loved this book. The fact that the story was told by...

See Full Review
Auntie Poldi is quite the character, full of life, drama, and eccentricity.  After a murder takes place, Auntie Poldi tries to solve the mystery, while becoming involved with the inspector on the case.  The story is told by her nephew, and is a fun filled romp.
This is the first in a new cozy mystery series. In this case, the setting is Sicily and the amateur sleuth is a 60 year old retiree. Aunt Poldi is a bigger than life character, literally and figuratively, and is a lot of fun.