Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 Apr 2018

Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions is the first in a series of light mysteries by Mario Giordano featuring the sixty-year-old Isolde Oberreiter (Auntie Poldi) from a Sicilian expatriate family in Germany. A glamorous widow, she’s decided it’s time to die and she’s happy to settle by the sea and drink herself to death. Of course, fate intervenes when Valentino, a young man who has helped her with some the moving in repairs, disappears. She is certain there was foul play and begins trying to find him.

Which she does, coming upon his body and taking the time to look for clues before calling the police. Her father was a homicide detective and Auntie Poldi has obviously learned a lot from...

See Full Review

Poldi, a German widow, celebrates turning sixty by buying a villa and moving to Sicily to start a new life, find adventure, and live closer to her sisters-in-law. She becomes friends with a sketchy Frenchwoman, her handyman is killed, she tries to solve his murder, becomes romantically involved with the police commissioner, and gets entangled with the Sicilian mob. Doesn't this all sound like a fast, fabulous, romp of a read? Wellll...I had big problems with this book. First, the book is narrated by Poldi's nephew, who relates the story to us as Poldi told it to him. This gets confusing, especially when recounting dialog. Next, this is Giordano's first novel translated to...

See Full Review

Recently translated from the German, this features some of the most delightful characters I’ve read in ages. Poldi (which is short Isolde) has recently moved to Sicily from Munich. She is widowed, oft-times depressed, hard-drinking and has recently turned-sixty. Her husband’s three Sicilian sisters worry about her health but Poldi finds an unexpected diversion. After discovering the body of a young man who has been helping her restore her house, Poldi decides to solve the murder of Valentino Candela and romantically pursue the handsome Sicilian policeman assigned to the case.

Poldi is the nervy heroine we all like to see stubbornly tracking down a murderer. Her persistence in often...

See Full Review
I am enamored of Auntie Poldi.  She is a truly unique character who has real ups and downs, a character who is fully 3 dimensional.  She plot is well developed a mystery that develops naturally while showing a bit of Sicilian life and explaining how it differs from mainland Italy.
Auntie Poldi's handyman disappears.  Valentino is young but very dependable.  No one seems too upset by his sudden disappearance, including his parents. Poldi begins searching for him and asking around about Valentino's last appearance in town.
During the investigation she meets Inspector Montana a hottie if Poldi ever saw one. Perhaps Poldi can get her mojo back after all.

Auntie Poldi moves to Sicily and as her nephew, the narrator informs us “Sicily is complicated – you can’t simply die there; something always gets in the way…. Someone was murdered” and Auntie Poldi “had to take matters in hand... and sort them out. And that was when the problems arose.”

Isolde Oberreiter, a/k/a Auntie Poldi, is an outrageous character transplanted from Germany to her beloved Sicily where she only desires a sea view and family for company. She makes coffee in the nude, greets Namaste to all things including a camera and the clouds, falls in lust with a forlorn detective, promises to solve a murder and falls off the wagon repeatedly. This is a mildly entertaining...

See Full Review
Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions is absolutely delightful. Reading this book felt like a mini-vacation to Sicily, full of colorful characters and all the twists and turns I crave in a mystery. Auntie Poldi is a 60 year old widow who has retired to Sicily, where she makes quick work of becoming the town's premier amateur detective. She charms most of the town's residents (and me) immediately, with her colorful storytelling, penchant for wine, and signature black wig. I hope future books in this series are translated into English so I can keep following her story!
It's great to see a story with a strong female protagonist who is 60.
Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions is delightful. I found Auntie Poldi to be a very likeable character and I believe this will be an easy title to hand sell.
Auntie Poldie, a native of Munich, Germany, is convinced that being 60 years old and a widow, she is on death's door. To meet her fate, she moves to Sicily, her husband's place of origin.  But instead of demise, she finds herself embroiled in solving a murder, and along the way, romance.
Aunt Poldi as decided to retire tomSiciky.Aunt Poldi full of Sass & #style may be of retirement age but is not planning on sitting on a rocking chair.First Aunt Poldi with her flowing wigs must find the perfect house & then gets involved Iin a murder case when her young handsome handyman goes missing& then his body is discovered.Aunt Poldi is a character a woman you will fall in love with.Sit back pick up the book& enjoy Aunt Poldi and all her new friends.thanks#netgalley
A delightfully quirky and atmospheric mystery! I loved that Poldi's nephew narrated the book; their side conversations brought so much entertainment and added something special to the story. However, I do think the characters and the setting shine far more brightly than the mystery itself. Something about it just did not grab my attention; then again, I'm not a true mystery reader. Perhaps it would work for someone who really loves mysteries. That being said, I did enjoy this book and I'll be waiting for the next in the series.

Thank you to Netgalley for the advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
A good and entertaining mystery with a very interesting main character. The setting was charming and the style of writing interesting.
Recommended.
Many thanks to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and Netgalley
Auntie Poldi lives in Sicily and tells the story to the narrator of how she managed to solve a crime that involved, among other things, lion statues. The narrator is his nephew, that goes to live with her to work on a book. I really enjoyed the adventures that Auntie Poldi went through - it is fun and entertaining. It is not a book that will make you laugh all the time, but it will certainly make you smile - and look forward to the second book on the series. I felt the middle of the book was a bit slow, but then things really started to happen more towards the end, and the story gets more exciting.
Auntie Poldi retires from her job as a costume designer in Munich and moves to Sicily. You'll never see her without her wig and almost always with a drink in her hand. I wish she wouldn't drink that much.... Otherwise she is a pretty fun and eccentric character.

This older lady that never beats around the bush and the sun and warmth of Sicily make this mystery a unique experience. She does a good job of investigating and discovers a bunch of criminal activities in the little town. Lots of humour and a little bit of romance make for an entertaining read.

I requested this book from NetGalley and am thankful that Houghton Mifflin Harcourt and the author provided me with a copy.
If it's murder, it's Poldi getting in people's faces. Sicilian people's faces, which is to say her new neighbors. When Aunt Poldi moved to Sicily, it was with a plan to get old and die of misery in pretty short order. When a friend, a young man, is killed, Polidi finds a new path. Uncovering secrets, dodging Dobermans, a sprinkle of looovee, and a narrator who can hardly belive what his Aunt is up to add up to a great into to a promising new mystery series.

I struggled a bit in the beginning with the various characters and the occasional Italian word that I had to look up because I didn’t know what it meant. Overall, this was an interesting book. The author definitely takes a good bit of time with Poldi’s character development, and I got a real feel for what she was like. The other characters, Poldi’s sisters-in-law, one of their husbands, a few men Poldi meets during her investigation and even people who rarely show up up, but are introduced have some details of their personalities mentioned, so you get a bit of a feel for all of them. The author also paints a vivid word picture of Sicily. There were some very amusing moments and a few...

See Full Review
After reading the many good reviews of this book, I am surprised at how I could not get into this book.  I believe the premise and characters seemed entertaining and witty, except I found the narrative to be unimpressive.  I understand it is a translation and told from a nephews second hand words, but the wit and humor was lost on me.

Thank you Netgalley for this opportunity to read this e-galley.

60 and sure of herself, Auntie Poldi decides to move to a remote part of Sicily to live out the remaining days of her life drinking wine and looking out across the sea. Of course this is not to be as her personality is bigger than the island and she finds herself wig deep in investigating the death of her handyman, Valentino. Auntie Poldi is what Miss Marple would be if she were a German, living in Sicily, with an overactive imagination and sex drive. The combination of nationalities, the story of Valentino's murder being interjected into the story Auntie Poldi is telling her nephew, and it being a translation creates a bit of mayhem, but Mr. Giordano's writing style inspires...

Book Description
On her sixtieth birthday, Auntie Poldi retires to Sicily, intending to while away the rest of her days with good wine, a view of the sea, and few visitors. But Sicily isn’t quite the tranquil island she thought it would be, and something always seems to get in the way of her relaxation. When her handsome young handyman goes missing—and is discovered murdered—she can’t help but ask questions.

Soon there’s an investigation, a smoldering police inspector, a romantic entanglement, one false lead after another, a rooftop showdown, and finally, of course, Poldi herself, slightly tousled but still perfectly poised.

My Thoughts
I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway...

See Full Review

From the publisher: On her sixtieth birthday, Auntie Poldi retires to Sicily, intending to while away the rest of her days with good wine, a view of the sea, and few visitors. But Sicily isn’t quite the tranquil island she thought it would be, and something always seems to get in the way of her relaxation. When her handsome young handyman goes missing—and is discovered murdered—she can’t help but ask questions . . .
Auntie Poldi and the Sicilian Lions is a delight. Although it is the first book in a mystery series, there is a lot more going on here than is often the case with mysteries. Auntie Poldi is at a crossroads, not sure what to do with herself. She is a bit depressed and is...