Surprise Me

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 16 Apr 2018

This was an interesting book. I've really enjoyed following Kinsella's career - each book asks slightly deeper questions and then explores things just a little deeper. In this book, the ideas of fidelity, normalcy, and dreams are all deftly and comically dealt with. A fast read for sure, but an engaging and delightful one. Recommended.

When Sophie and her husband Dan’s doctor gives them a clean bill of health at their annual check-ups and tells them they could conceivably live another 68 years, they panic. They are already so in sync that they finish each other’s sentences and anticipate each other’s actions on a regular basis. How will they keep from getting bored with each other over the next 68 long years? They decide they must start surprising each other on a regular basis and they must start immediately. Because this is a Sophie Kinsella novel, none of their surprises for one another goes as planned, with humorous results.

I’ll admit that when I started this book, I was mad at Dan and Sophie. As someone with a...

See Full Review
Surprise Me is kind of a spin on the whole "stale relationship is injected with new life due to wacky foibles" type of romance (and yes, that's a whole genre of romance on it's own). But it is enjoyable, distracting, and fun. That's exactly what I wanted.
A quick read that focuses on life inside a  romance instead of one just beginning. Different view, but this seems aimed at middle aged married women.
Love this author and the characters in this book. Can't wait for the next one!
Ugh, I wanted to enjoy this book. And I just couldn't. I didn't care for the characters at all and the book read young adult to me as opposed to one for adults. While the content was clearly adult, the characters felt about 19 to me. I just couldn't connect to it

I DO appreciate the copy of this book in exchange for an honest review, I wish I could have written a nicer toned one.

I have not felt well lately and it has slowed my reading pace down quite a lot.  Surprise Me by Sophie Kinsella was the perfect book for me at this time. It was fast paced keeping me curious about what was going to happen next but most importantly it made me laugh.  Laugh out loud funny. That is rare.

For insurance purposes, Sylvie and Dan have physicals and learn that due to good genes and good maintenance they will live longer than most people can expect. This throws them for a loop because it changes everything: when they can retire, how much money is needed to save, but most importantly will they be able to stand each other and be married that long. Over the course of the story...

See Full Review

The Dial Press and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of Surprise Me. I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

Having been together for ten years, married for seven of them, Sylvie and Dan seamlessly work together to provide a comfortable household for their twin girls. The magic is gone, however, and the couple starts to feel the pressure of being together for the rest of their lives. To spice things up, they come up with Project Surprise Me. When it becomes clear early on that the element of surprise can cause more trouble than they thought, will Sylvie and Dan start to fail as a couple? Will the pair be able to get their lives back on...

See Full Review
3.5 stars.  What do you do when "til death do us part" is longer than you think? That is the dilemma that Sylvie and Dan face. For the most part, this is a typical SK story with the usual laugh out loud moments and quirky characters. Towards the end, it does take a surprising (get it?) turn though. But in true Kinsella fashion, you get your satisfactory ending.

**Thank you to the publisher and Net Galley in exchange of an honest review.**
This was so different than Sophie Kinsella's other books. It was more serious and less goofy, but still full of the heart and humor I expect from her. I hope this represents a new direction for her. It almost reminded me of a Kristan Higgins book.
Kinsella delivered another entertaining read, suitable for adults and young adults alike. After hearing from her doctor that she and her husband have at least 68 more years together, Sylvie and Dan, a married couple with two girls, try to surprise each other to make those years a bit more interesting. The struggles that happened along the way were laugh out loud hilarious at times, and a bit more serious at other times. I loved the positive messages this book included about trust, relationships, and getting to know what others are going through. I would definitely recommend this book.
Not quite as lighthearted as some of Kinsella's other offerings, Surprise Me tells the story of two families whose vacations takes quite the unexpected turn. This 'study of marriage' examines, with Kinsella's trademark humor, how people cope with not only awkward and difficult situations, but how marriages evolve and change over time. As usual, her characters are original thinkers struggling to get to know themselves better.

Let me start by saying I LOVE Sophie Kinsella! I have loved everything she has written...until Surprise Me. It wasn't bad but I just didn't love it the way I have loved all her other books so I was a little disappointed. Sylvie and Dan have a happy marriage....until they realize they may have another 70 years together. Neither realized "til death do us part" meant 70 plus years. In order to keep things interesting Sylvie decides they should surprise each other with special gifts/dates...something to keep the marriage exciting but of course nothing goes as planned. I didn't hate it but I just didn't love it but it was a quick read so if you have the time you...

See Full Review

Sylvie and Dan have it all. They’ve been together 10 years, have a lovely home, twin girls, careers they enjoy and fantastic health. Maybe too fantastic. When an insurance physical reveals they could live to be 100, potentially facing another 68 years of marriage, they are shocked and overwhelmed. Marriage is forever, but just how long is forever supposed to be? Fearing the tedium of 68 more years with someone whose every restaurant order they can predict and every sentence finish, a plan is hatched to bring adventure into their marriage. The problem is, adventure isn’t always all it’s cracked up to be. Sophie Kinsella, author of the Shopaholic series, delivers another delightful tale of...

See Full Review
Sylvie and Dan have been married for ten years. They have beautiful twin girls, a house, jobs and a good life together. After a routine doctor visit they realize that their marriage could last another 50 years. Worried about their marriage getting stale they decide to start surprising each other to keep things fresh. Some fun and crazy antics ensue!!

After some old family secrets are revealed Sylie realizes that maybe she and Dan don't know each other as well as she thinks they do.  This is a very well written book that looks at the longevity of a marriage and the things we do for those we love. Another winner by Sophie Kinsella.

FINALLY FINISHED THIS BOOK!!!! *screams hallelujah from the highest mountain top* I mean it almost took me a month but whatever it’s done. I am so happy to have this completed. Now for the review. I always enjoy Sophie Kinsella’s writing and how she brings her stories to life with a realistic setting. Life isn’t perfect and her books have always exemplified that to me. I enjoyed following Sylvie and Dan through this book however I did have a few issues with them in the first half of the book. They find out that they have 68 more years of marriage and they both go into this almost midlife crisis over it. And all I could think was how that wasn’t really a big deal and why get married in the...

See Full Review

It's through Project Surprise Me that Sylvie realises she doesn't know Dan as well as she thought she did and the unpredictability of what was once predictable totally throws her. I have to be honest, I didn't know if her suspicions were correct or not, they were very plausible and I was swayed by the evidence in front of us! The surprises - oh how I chuckled when Robert caught her internet browsing at work and Toby coming home early to find Sylvie in Tilda's house. Sooo funny! (I think setting up surprises with partners, friends and family could be a LOT of fun - as well as the disasters).

Sylvie comes from a privileged background but she didn't come across as...

See Full Review

Sophie Kinsella is one of my favorite authors. I'm a huge fan of her work, and I eagerly dive into her new books. This book is a little different, but it is still great. In this book, Sylvie and Dan have been married several years and decide to start surprising each other in an attempt to bring some excitement into their marriage. This starts out well, but then Sylvie uncovers some information that makes her believe she is headed for a divorce.

Sophie Kinsella described the feelings her heroine was experiencing so deeply, I honestly thought she was the one getting a divorce. I was relieved by the credits at the end of the book explaining that she is still happily married. While this...

See Full Review
I had a bit of hard time at first getting into this book, mainly because of the topic. It is a very truthful and interesting book because many people are living longer and being married for a long time. It is about how to live a interesting life and how to share it while still being faithful, and having fun. Another interesting and funny read by Sophie Kinsella.
A couple, when faced with the idea of 68 more years of marriage, try to shake things up a bit by “surprising” each other. But each surprise doesn’t quite work out as expected.