Surprise Me

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 16 Apr 2018

I don't usually read fluff books like this, they just aren't really for me. So, me rating this at a three is pretty good. Not that it's the best, because it wasn't on my end, but it did get me reading more and looking at my relationship and those around me and the things we all go through after so many years of being with one person.

At times, it made me want to stop, just didn't work for me in moments I felt it should, but then other ones came along that got me feeling like this is the way a more realistic couple would deal with things, would react, would be. So, I kept reading and I kept finding more things I enjoyed that I surprisingly didn't think I would.

There were those parts though that just didn't seem to work for many people in the real world. Many of those were the "surprises" in the marriage (mostly priced), but for both of our main characters, and this story, it's what they did. It was a mix of that and a few other things throughout the novel that left me hoping for more that I knew I wasn't going to be finding in here anytime soon.

What "Surprise Me" did end up doing for me though, was get me a little more interested in Sophie Kinsella's books and maybe picking up a few others. It might be another while though before I do pick up one of those books, but it's definitely something I am not ruling out as of reading this novel.

***I received this copy from Dial Press via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.***
This book took me on an unexpected journey as the wife tried to connect with her somewhat distant husband and the unexpected surprise revealed at the end.
I will not be posting a review on goodreads because I was unable to enjoy this book and do not feel comfortable leaving a negative review.
Try as I might, I just never got into this one.... silly premise and characters I didn’t care about so I never wanted to read it, even when I had the time. I’m disappointed as I usually like Kinella’s stand-alone novels for some light fun vacation reading. Oh well....
DNF
I normally like Kinsella's books, but I had a really hard time getting into Surprise Me. At this time, I will not be reviewing this title. I apologize for the inconvenience.
I’ve read a few of Kinsella’s earlier novels and liked them, so I was excited to give this one a try. I listened to the audiobook and quite enjoyed it! I really like the narrator (Fiona Hardingham) and have listened to a few of the novels she’s done.

The book itself is about Sylvie and Dan and their mission to reintroduce some excitement into their marriage. Sylvie was very dramatic at times which I actually found to be quite funny. While the novel went in a different direction than I was expecting, I thought it added a lot more depth to the storyline and characters. I was definitely surprised by some things which I always like in a book.

I’d recommend this one if you’re looking for something that’s easy to follow via audiobook and a narrator who is great! It’s overall a lighter read that still has some depth.
I went into this book at a pretty dark time in my life - I'd lost my beloved father a week earlier, and so I was on the prowl for a light and fluffy book, and who does that better than Sophie Kinsella, right?
Except...this book wasn't light and fluffy at all. And a big deal in there is how the heroine is dealing with the loss of her father whom she'd adored, too. Wow, talk of hitting close to home. I was very tempted because of that, because of my grief, to drop this book, but something kept me reading. And am I glad I did ... because that was one of the best books I've ever read. Yes, it's not fluffy and light and girly; it's serious, it deals with flaws, nobody's perfect in there, and the way this all comes to light, when it would all come to light, kept me glued to the pages. Trust me, you do not see that last part coming!
Sophie Kinsella blew me away with this one!
I'm always down for a good Sophie Kinsella book. It's interesting that as she's gotten older, her characters have as well. The adults we see in Surprise Me are a far cry from the younger, carefree characters we saw in Can You Keep a Secret?, Remember Me or Twenties Girl, but I can appreciate their maturity. The age of her characters doesn't take away or hinder the same quirkiness and imperfect characters that Kinsella has given us in the past. Surprise Me is definitely a solid read from a solid writer.
Sophie Kinsella’s books are a great grab for an easy chick-lit read. However, this book was a struggle! The premise really bothered me at first – Sylvie and Dan go to the doctor for a check up and he tells them they could live to be married for 68 more years and they start freaking out? Why get married if not to be with your partner for life? It really got good at the end and I wish the book would have focused more on Sylvie’s father and the mystery there vs the dumb 68 years of marriage thing.
I enjoyed this book it still had the humor that you find in Kinsella's books but also dealt with real issues regarding marriage and how we perceive our childhood when we look back on  it.
I recommended this on my blog Modern Mrs Darcy in a post called "17 books everyone will be talking about this summer." This was a fun one!
This was my first Sophie Kinsella book and all I can say is it was just okay. If I was to based the rest of her books off of this one I'm not sure I would read more. But I will read a couple more books by this author in order to decide. The book had surprises but it was more character driven than plot driven, which I'm not crazy about. It was okay, but just okay in my opinion.
Mini review:

I received this e-arc via Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

DNF

Despite the not-so great synopsis I wanted to read this anyways. After all it’s a Kinsella book. Unfortunately it wasn’t any good.

The main characters were supremely dumb. Her 20 year characters (in other books) have more sense then the husband and wife in this book. Now mind you I thought the whole thing was bogus to begin with. I had no idea that this was a legit science. And even if it is true I still don’t buy it.

The worst part was their reactions to the whole situation. If it were me I would feel over the moon. I would possibly get to see my grandchildren. But no these two instead stress about how they’ll manage their marriage. Personally speaking I felt that they had insecurities about their marriage before the appointment.

Don’t recommend. Honestly just read her other books. Like My not so perfect life. It’s much better than this.
I've only read one other Sophie Kinsella so far. It was My Not So Perfect Life and I really enjoyed it. Of course I had high hopes for Surprise Me, but it was not at all what I was expecting. I was immediately bored and could not relate to the main characters. I kept waiting for something to hook me and keep me salivating for the next page, but I couldn't raise much enthusiasm for finishing the story. I will definitely be moving cautiously with the next Sophie Kinsella novel I have the opportunity to read.
*ARC provided in consideration for review*
If you like a fun, easy read with a bit of depth, then ‘Surprise Me’ by Sophie Kinsella is for you.
Sylvie and Dan have been together…well, forever really. They have everything they could possibly want; happy marriage, lovely home, two beautiful twin girls…and at least another 68 years together!!!!
68 years!!! When a Doctor applauds their good health with his light-hearted comment, Dan and Sylvie, but especially Sylvie, begin to panic.
68 years!!! How are they going to manage another 68 years with the same person? Will they get bored? Will they still love each other? Will the sex still be good?
All of a sudden, the little hairline fractures in their marriage begin to crack open just a little more as Sylvie begins to re-evaluate her life and everything she has believed in, until now.
I really enjoyed this book, although I do get a little tired of the fluffy, scatty female characters that fill so many of Sophie Kinsella’s books. However, despite this, I feel that Sophie Kinsella’s books have ‘grown up’ a bit, since the first highly addictive ‘Shopaholic’ series hit the shelves, and the fluffy female lead has real issues to deal with as she contemplates what really matters in a relationship.
I give this book 3 and a half stars
Whenever I pick up a Sophie Kinsella book, I know certain things. I know the heroine will be fun and interesting and a little chaotic. I know I will laugh.
She surprised me with the ending. Though I had a suspicion about where it might go, I didn’t see it coming at all.
Sophie Kinsella writes the best chick lit books. Her way of writing contemporary romance novels in a fun, lighthearted way always has my heart aflutter. I love her use of language and writing, and I think any female adult would love her novels. This story was especially fun and humorous!
Classic Sophie Kinsella! As always, Sophie gives us two  totally relatable characters going through typical, relatable problems that can easily happen to any of us, though Sylvie and Dan end up with more drama than usual! Sylvie and Dan are funny and you can't help but grow attached and root for them, even as they inadvertently screw things up a bit in their quest to succeed in "Project Surprise Me." In the end though, they learn a bit more about each other and that ultimately brings their family closer together. A really enjoyable, funny, easy read that you'll likely end up binge reading because you'll want to know what's going to happen next!
“Love is finding one person infinitely fascinating.”

This ended up being a surprisingly poignant book, given that some of the earlier Sophie Kinsella stories I've tried are more slapstick silly (which has never worked for me). But similar to MY (NOT SO) PERFECT LIFE, SURPRISE ME had some depth and really nice character development.

Story-wise, this one focuses on a married couple celebrating their 10th anniversary but is told entirely from the wife's POV. The first half is very different from the second half, with the former being more humorous, slightly ridiculous, and predictable. While that was all fine and good and something I can appreciate and enjoy (I like to laugh, really I do!), I will readily admit I preferred the latter half of the story because that is where all of the character growth happened. That's when it felt less chick-lit and more women's fiction, and while the author was able to loosely weave together both halves in the end, I did find it somewhat disjointed and had wished the first half wasn't as silly and held some of the same depth as the latter one.

Rating: B
Like most of Sophie Kinsella's books I really enjoyed this one! I remember getting frustrated with the female protagonist throughout the story but by the end I adored her. I enjoyed her character arc. It's been a while since i read this one but I really enjoyed it and would recommend it if you're looking for an entertaining/ slightly mysterious chick lit.