Surprise Me

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 16 Apr 2018

Thank you to Sophie Kinsella, NetGalley, Random House Publicity, The Dial Press and Madhen Media Ltd. for a digital ARC of SURPRISE ME by Sophie Kinsella in exchange for an honest review.

SURPRISE ME by Sophie Kinsella was a fun quirky read with surprising and often humorous twists and turns.

Sylvie and Dan have been together for ten years and have twin girls. They are happy and should be thrilled when the doctor tells them that they are healthy and could live to be one hundred! But thoughts of being together for sixty-eight more years causes them to panic and fear that they will grow bored over that length of time.  Sylvie and Dan decide to have surprises for each other to make their marriage exciting. Read this book to find out more.

This standalone novel about marriage, trust and family and how those we love the most can sometimes surprise us the most was light and entertaining. Novels written by Sophia Kinsella always put me in a good mood and make me laugh.
Before we begin, I should admit that I'll read anything Sophie Kinsella writes. Forever. She had me at Undomestic Goddess.

In Surprise Me, we meet Sylvie and Dan, a married couple who know each other backwards and forwards. After a routine doctor's visit, they learn that, based on their longevity, they could be married for another 60 years. Both are freaked out; hijinks ensue.

Reading the first few chapters, I thought Surprise Me was going to be a story of Sylvie and Dan's marriage. But as the story progressed, it took a turn. The result was that this almost felt like two different novels - the first half had one plot and the second half had an entirely different plot.

While this was not my favorite novel by Kinsella, it was still a bit of escapist fun.
As always, Sophie Kinsella delivers a fun, funny romp that makes me remember why I love reading! So one writes quite like Sophie, and I’m looking forward to her next book.
I find Sophie Kinsella very hit or miss for me. I really did not enjoy the Shopaholic series, but have really liked some of her other stuff. Unfortunately, this one was a miss for me. I liked the premise but it just didn't hold my attention and I had to force myself to finish it in order to review it.
Sophie Kinsella has always been an auto-read/auto-buy ever since I’ve read the Shopaholic series. When I need a good laugh and positive vibes, her books are definitely on my top choices. Surprise Me didn’t disappoint me. It got the typical wit and humor I came to love from all the Sophie Kinsella books I’ve read. The writing is great and the pacing, fast and easy to read. The characters are adorable especially the side characters. I always love the character development of her heroines and this one isn’t any different. Sylvie’s growth is beautifully done.

I also like how this one is different from her past works as it revolves around a married couple than a single woman. I may not understand the couple’s panic at learning they’ll be spending more years together but maybe there are people who will feel that way. There is also so much more to it than the couples’ worries and little surprises which added depth and a bit darkness to the story. It deals with marriage and family, and even tackles grief. It brings good messages about love, marriage, self-discovery and much more. And finally, I love the ending and how everything was wrapped up nicely. Though not her best work, I totally enjoyed this novel. It is light, funny, and very entertaining.
I'm normally not very into books like this-- feels like the chick flick version of a book. But this was so real and so relatable and I love it!
I usually enjoy the books by Sophie Kinsella and I was looking forward to reading this one but unfortunately it didn't work for me at all.

I struggled a lot with the premise of this book when Sylvie and Dan found out they still have many years together and freaked. I seriously didn't get what their problem was. Shouldn't you be happy to have many years together, especially if everything is working smoothly. There was no hint that they had any problems in their relationship, so what is the problem with a long life together?!

There is hardly anything happening in this book and Kinsella describes so many unimportant things. This really had me bored and I started skimming through the pages.

Sylvie really had a weird picture of her "daddy" and it was really annoying how perfect she thinks he was.

The book didn't work for me at all, it hardly made me laugh and I was bored for most of the time.
Disclaimer: I received a free electronic copy of Surprise Me from netgalley and the publisher, Dial Press. All opinions expressed below are my own.

Synopsis:
Surprise Me is the newest novel by chick-lit queen Sophie Kinsella. Sylvie and Dan have been together for 10 years and have twin daughters. They head for their yearly physical and the physician tells them that they are both in great health and will likely live long lives and have about 68 more years of marriage to look forward to! While this is good news, the couple proceeds to freak out at how they will fill those 68 years and still keep it fresh. Sylvie decides the best option is to surprise each other. Of course, if you know the chick lit tropes, all sorts of accidents ensue.

Review:
I read a lot of Sophie Kinsella (Shopaholics) previously, but it has probably been a decade since I picked up one of her books. I was in the mood for a lighter read and thought this would be a great fit. Overall, the novel delivered. I actually started this book in January and then wasn't motivated to pick it back up and finish it. Because of my Netgalley-read-a-thon, I wanted to check this one off the list and so pushed through.

I liked that the single-lady plot grew up to a married wife plot. It made me feel like the author and the characters were growing up with me a bit. At this point, I'd love to read some mommy or wife drama as opposed to single woman drama (which I haven't been in 10 years).

Overall, it was a bit frustrating that most of the drama centered around the main couple not communicating. Basically, all of the issues in the novel wouldn't have arose if the couple had actually talked about things. I think that was the most frustrating part of the plot for me - I would hae preferred this to have gone a few steps further.

I think fans of chick-lit, especially more "grown up" fans, will enjoy this novel. It is light and will make you roll your eyes at times, but its a fun and easy read. I rate this one 3 solid stars.
This was my second Sophie Kinsella book. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the first I read, which was My Not So Perfect Life, but I still found it an enjoyable read. I look forward to reading more by this author. She writes great books to take on vacation or to the beach.
I am not sure that anything from Kinsella will top My Not So Perfect Life for me. I didn’t love this  book. I mean, the whole premise is that the characters find out they are going to get 68 more years together, that is awesome news! When you get married, don’t you go into it expecting to spend the rest of your lives growing old together??? That is sort of the point. So I just don’t get the whole freak out over living another 68 years together. I got really bored reading this book, and it took me a month to finish. I am going to be completely honest…I skipped over about 30% of the book and didn’t even miss anything.

Bottom Line: There really isn’t anything special about this book. I didn’t mind the ending, and can appreciate that the characters grew and changed…but I was bored most of this book and couldn’t wait to just be done with it. So I can’t really recommend it.

**I received a copy of Surprise me from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review. All opinions are of my own.””
My review has been posted to Goodreads.

Review has also been tweeted as usual.

Thank you! :c)
This was just an okay read that I couldn't bring myself to finish. Thanks NetGalley for giving me a look.
Just as wonderful as her other books, I loved this story. It was funny, sweet, and just what I needed for a beach read.
Standard Sophie Kinsella: a bubbly, fun book that doesn't require a whole lot of brain matter. I forgot the plot of the book almost immediately after I finished reading it. Perfect popcorn reading.
I always enjoy books by Sophie Kinsella. While they are somewhat formulaic in nature, they're the perfect escape if I don't have a lot of time or energy in to focusing on a story. The perfect summer or beach read.
Please see my notes to publisher for my thoughts on this title. Thank you so much for approving me for a copy of this book!
This wasn't good, not at all. It was choppy and didn't read well. The characters were crazy in an totally unrelatable story. I love Sophie Kinsella too - I have enjoyed all of her books but this one didn't do it for me.
Sophie Kinsella does not disappoint with this newest novel.  I have become more of a fan of her non-"shopaholic" books.  This book is both comedic and serious and I enjoyed how the characters developed.  Sometimes those rose colored glasses need a good cleaning.
Loved it!! Kinsella never fails to deliver a fast paced funny and at times poignant read! A bit different from her other work, and this brings a freshness to the writing that is most welcome.
This book reminds me of the old saying"Be careful what you wish for". This book was an ok read. I had to force myself to finish this book. Thanks to NetGalley, the author and the publisher for the ARC of this book. Although I received the book in this manner, it did not effect my opinion of this book nor my review.