Surprise Me

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 16 Apr 2018

I received this book from Netgalley in return for an honest review.

In Surprise Me, Sylvie and Dan are married with twin daughters. While at a joint checkup the doctor mentions that they probably have another 60 years together. Then they start to worry, how will they keep each other entertained all those years. How will they keep things new and fresh. They decide to surprise each other. Hilarity ensues. There were some definite laugh out loud moments while reading this book.

As someone who has been married for 17 years already, I hadn't thought ahead to how much longer we would be married. So I brought it up with my husband and we had some interesting conversations. Hats off to Kinsella for giving this old married couple a new topic of discussion.
Sophie Kinsella's Shopaholic series has always been a 'guilty' pleasure of mine - I don't feel guilty about reading her, but many people don't feel that she is the kind of Serious Writer that a librarian like me should be devoting time to. To those people, I say, "whatever." Kinsella's wonderful at allowing her characters to be fully realized, human people, with all their attendant foibles.

In "Surprise Me!" the premise feels a bit thin - Sylvie and her husband, Dan, are given excellent bills of health at their annual physical exams, discovering that they can expect to live another 68 years together. Should be great, right? Except that both Dan and Sylvie find themselves a bit panicked, wondering how they are going to keep their relationship fresh for another six decades. Their solution? To start surprising each other in ways big and small. Some of the surprises work fantastically, while others . . . not so much. And now Sylvie has started to worry that Dan is panicked enough to leave their marriage entirely, especially since he has been growing increasingly agitated with her mother.

Sylvie's tendency to jump to conclusions, especially in a panic over her marriage, is something that anyone could relate to -- and the relief at the novel's end, when nothing turns out to be quite what it seemed, is a huge relief. This wasn't as much fun as some of Kinsella's other books, but I appreciated the depth of the characters and their emotional exploration of themselves and their relationship.
Things appear one way and reveal a depth & love that couldn't even be imagined.  The truth comes out after a comedy of errors in the name of surprising each other to keep their marriage alive and vibrant...only to reveal the grand surprise.

Will leave a review on Amazon under name of Connie
I was very lukewarm about this book.  I read it because I enjoy her other books  but I was just not interested in these characters.
I have always been a fan of Sophie Kinsella and she didn’t disappoint with this novel either.  What happens when you realize that you are married, for life, to the same person? What happens is a series of “what did I just do” moments.  Kinsella did a great job blending the leading ladies daily life into a warm enjoyable novel.  The reader can truly immerse herself/himself into Sylvie’s daily life and watch the midlife meltdown occur.  Kinsella makes her characters very believable and the reader finds themselves rooting for Sylvie and Dan.  The support characters are people you might meet on the street with issues and problems of their own.  Thoroughly enjoyable read.  If you like women’s fiction or chick lit this one is for you.
I received an ARC of this book from Netgalley. This is a story of rekindled love. Just when Sylvie thought she had it all figured out she had a rude awakening. Glad everything was ironed out and a HEA ending occurred. I love this author.
I hate surprises. I'd prefer not to receive a present at all if it's going to be a surprise. So, what can I say? This book was a cringe-inducing experience for me. There's a light, fluffy plot line about a husband and wife surprising each other to keep their marriage alive. The surprises are supposed to be comical, but they're just really terrible. Then there's a darker plot line that has to do with family secrets. Also a bit hard to read because so much could just be solved if people would just communicate with each other and not try to hide things.

If you like surprises, you'd probably enjoy this book, but overall not be too surprised by the ending.
I really liked the Shopaholic series, so I was excited to receive an ARC of this new book from Net Galley. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to my expectations. It was an easy and reasonably entertaining, but incredibly predictable. And where the Shopaholic protagonist was flawed, but likeable, I didn't find myself connecting with or rooting for any of the characters in this book.
Surprise Me is a charming read. The story acts like it's going to be about one issue, but then turns out to be about a completely different issue. The main character, Slyvie, experiences much growth as a person. For me, she became more and more engrossing.  Another hit for Kinsella..
Surprise Me! is a delight!  Sophie Kinsella has done it again!  She delivers a sweet take on the trials sometimes encountered in marriage in a fresh and heartfelt manner.  Expect to laugh, despair, and hope with Kinsella's Sylvie and Dan as they bring us on their adventure in keeping forever-love out of the mundane.
This book was nothing like I expected. The first half reads like typical Sophie Kinsella novel - laugh-out-loud funny, endearing/charming main character, a bit over-the-top. The second half takes on a more serious tone and there is actually quite a lot of depth and character development in the main character of Sylvie. More so than in any of her other books to date. I've been a rabid fan of Sophie Kinsella's since the first Shopaholic book and while I haven't adored all her books equally, I have adored each of them. She's the pinnacle of humor and story telling that so many other chick lit authors, myself included, strive to reach. While she doesn't need to change a thing to keep her readers happy, it's even more impressive to me that she does it anyway. Based on this book and My Not So Perfect Life (WHICH I LOVED) before it,  I can truthfully say that I won't necessarily know what I'm getting when I read her next one. Except, of course, hilarious, charming, and brilliant storytelling.
Don't let the initial ditzy airhead portrayal of Sylvie turn you off of reading this novel.   It is quite a surprisingly good novel!

When Dr. Bamford tells Dan & Sylvie that he expects they will have 68 more years together, their response is shock and terror at the thought of 'how can anyone expect to spend so much time with only one person'?

Longevity, loyalty and partnership prove to be prized promises as Sylvie discovers truths about her childhood, herself and Dan.

Left me smiling and feeling very positive.
I'm giving this book 3 stars. It wasn't awful, but it didn't grab me as much as I wanted it to. The beginning was interesting and funny, although the mishaps with the surprises were really predictable. The ending did a good job of tying things together, but the middle is where it lost me. I ended up skimming those chapters because they weren't holding my interest and I was determined to at least see how things ended.

This was my first Sophie Kinsella book and I liked it enough to check out some of her other works.

Thanks to NetGalley and Random House for the ARC.
When I think of Sophie Kinsella’s books, I smile because she always creates such believable characters and places them in such wacky situations. Her books are comedies that make me laugh out loud. I love the way her main characters learn about themselves and about life and love in “I Love Lucy” quality comedy scenes that keep me laughing and turning the pages.

In her upcoming book, Surprise Me, Kinsella introduces us to Sylvie and Dan, who have a great marriage, beautiful twin girls, and enjoy their careers. But when a physical exam reveals that they are in great shape, so great that they can expect to spend the next sixty-eight years together, they panic. Sure, they’re in love. And they believe the whole “til death do us part” bit. But…what if death doesn’t come for another sixty-eight years? That’s another sixty-eight years together. Just the two of them. All the time. Another sixty-eight years of marriage. Should sound great, right? Well, sort of…

As Kinsella characters are wont to do, Sylvie gets an idea in her head that really seems brilliant. At first, that is. Sylvie decides that she and Dan can truly enjoy the next sixty-eight years together by mixing things up, by surprising each other to break up the everydayness of the many, many days they have ahead of them. But when exotic animals, strange garden sculptures, and exes come into play, Sylvie finds herself in a mess that she must find her way out of in order to save her marriage and her sanity.

I really enjoyed this book. There was a good mystery involved in it, which is something else I enjoy about Kinsella’s writing. She is good at weaving twists and laughs together to form an entertaining and intriguing read that keeps me turning the pages. I also really enjoyed the focus on relationships in this book. It’s not just the husband/wife relationship that gets attention in this story. But parent/ child is also touched on quite a bit as well as employer/ employee, neighbors, and friendships. All in all, I consider this a classic Kinsella read – humorous and heartfelt!
This was one of my favorite Sophie Kinsella books, and I've read them all. What I liked about it is that I didn't feel like it was typical of her other books, and even "surprised me". I would definitely recommend this book to others!
Sophie Kinsella is someone that I used to love reading. but I found this story to be boring.
This ended up being a good book for those wanting a lighter read, with a little drama and emotional tugging in there. There were a few times I was worried about where it was headed, but I ended up happy with where it went and how it ended. There were some funny moments and likeable characters, with a small twist at the end. I was pretty sure I knew what that twist was, but it didn't affect my enjoyment of the book. Thank you to Random House for a chance to read an ARC of this book!
Another great book from Sophie Kinsella.
Sylvie and Dan have been together for 10 years, and when they realise they could have another 68 years together they start to panic. Then Sylvie has the idea is what they need to do is surprise each other.
It is a great story of love, marriage and relationships.
This is, without a doubt, one of Kinsella's best. A few months ago I read MY NOT SO PERFECT LIFE and I wasn't all that impressed with it. But SURPRISE ME was fresh, humorous, and just plain fun. I'm not one for slapstick humor but this had me giggling out loud. A great choice for fans of domestic fiction in general and Liane Moriarty in particular.

Thank you to Netgalley for providing me with an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
WOW what a fabulous book. There was so much going on in this and what a wonderful array of different characters. It's the kind of story that makes you stop and think about what really matters. I laughed and I cried as it was full of emotion too.