Cover Image: Fat Gay Vegan

Fat Gay Vegan

This book  was funny and interesting. i loved the way the author portrayed his journey.. I laughed and reflected on my own weight loss journey and enjoyed the book overall
Fat Gay Vegan is a book that is aimed at helping you make the transition to becoming vegan, or to help with a new vegan’s early days. I am not a vegan, and I’m not looking to become one right now, but I am interested in it enough to want to read this!

Where the book really shines is where the idea of being vegan is extended to include being kind to humans and animals in all aspects of your life. Here making sure you live a generally inclusive, kind, helpful existence is explored. An analysis of where the vegan community itself is sexist, ableist, homophobic, etc is really fascinating. I wish more people had the same awareness of all these issues as Sean O’Callaghan shows he does in Fat Gay Vegan.

"Become an expert letter and email writing champion in order to tell vegan food companies that oppressive language and images have no place in advertising to our community. Use social media to make them aware of the fact that you do not appreciate or accept the use of sexism, body shaming, toxic masculinity and white exceptionalism as tools to sell veganism as a concept or vegan products to the world. It perpetuates harmful forces that make people feel bad about who they are while cementing long entrenched power imbalances that favour very few."

These ideas are explored within the vegan community, and also beyond it.

As you can probably tell from the title, O’Callaghan is himself the fat gay vegan. His personal history is covered in Fat Gay Vegan – growing up as a gay man in Australia, and the associated difficulties he faced. Becoming a teacher, and blogging under the name fat gay vegan, which ultimately led to this book.  As well as all this, obviously the book also covers different aspects of veganism. I think it is neatly summed up in the quote from the conclusion of:

"No matter how much we do, we can always do more and we can always do better."

There are recipes at the end of each chapter, but this is definitely not a cook book!
O'Callaghan is definitely not for everyone. He can be preachy, he can be a bit of an arse, but he is steadfast in his beliefs and for that I can commend him.

Fat Gay Vegan is everything I expect from O'Callaghan. This is not a book for carnivores. If you enjoy eating meat products or buying products made from animals, skip this book, it is not for you unless you are considering changing your diet and lifestyle.
The title is the thing that drew me to this book. A book with a title like this was sure to be an interesting and funny read. And it was. I liked it, it did make me laugh a few times and it was certainly interesting enough to keep my reading on.

As a relatively new vegetarian I have thought about becoming vegan a few times, even trying out a solely plant based diet out every now and again. This book did help me to understand the  reasons for choosing a vegan lifestyle and the ways in which to handle the change. It did however make me feel like a bad person for not being vegan, that my efforts as a vegetarian were not quite good enough.

That said it was a thought provoking book that explained veganism in detail and I'd recommend it to anyone thinking of making the change. I also made the pesto recipe which was delicious.
I received a DIGITAL Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  From the publisher -
Fat Gay Vegan is exactly what he says in the name. Sean O'Callaghan is fat, he’s gay, and he’s vegan. But for a word that's grown so popular, what does being vegan actually mean?

For the last seven years, Fat Gay Vegan has been a voice that cuts through the fuss and the fads. Sean challenges bad behaviour and wrongful reasoning wherever he finds it, in the quest for a more compassionate existence for everyone.

Now, he brings together his story and those of others in the vegan community in order to answer the questions both vegans and non-vegans alike might have:
· Why should I be vegan in the first place?
· What should my friends and family do... and are they bad people if they aren't vegan?
· Is this just about animal rights?
· Do I need to be a gym bunny to be worthy of veganism? (answer: no)
· Can I still eat junk food if I'm vegan? (answer: definitely yes!)

In Sean's own words: When a wave of realisation swamps you and you come to learn how incredibly simple and sensible choosing veganism is, you'll have me sitting up there in your head like a friendly, fat uncle whispering, "I knew you could do it." The day will arrive when you proclaim, "Hey, if that fat gay guy can do it, so can I!"

Packed with personal stories and non-preachy advice, this is a compassionate, no-nonsense guide to veganism from one of the community's most recognisable names.
I am a fan of the Fat Gay Vegan Instagram account and I expected his humour to translate into this book. Nope. Not at all. At times I felt like I was being lectured and shamed for eating non-vegan food – not happy about that from an author who proclaims KINDNESS AND COMPASSION as part of his mantra. (in fact, I have stopped following him as a result)
And I certainly question why over-processed, fake “franken-food” food items as “Vegan Meats” and “Vegan Cheeses” are better for me than cheese from a local dairy whose ingredients are milk, rennet, and salt. I have nothing against veganism but I do not appreciate being treated like I am a bad person for not being one.
As for the gay part, I never got to that part of the book as I was sick of being lectured and did not finish the book. As a librarian, if I do not learn something new or important I do not finish the book as there are too many good ones out there to read and review.