The Perfect Nanny

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 09 Mar 2018

Named One of 2018’s Most Anticipated Books by NPR’s Weekend Edition, Real Simple, The Millions, The Guardian, Bustle, and Book Riot

When I saw the teasers for this book, I just had to read it. I'm still not entirely sure what my thoughts are regarding the book...but for the pure fact that I am still thinking about it and I had to stay up late because I couldn't stand the thought of putting it down and not knowing how it ended, makes it 4 stars for me.

This is a very deep and disturbing book to me, primarily because all of the thoughts and actions by both the parents and the...

See Full Review
I expect you will be hearing a lot about this book, if you haven't already. It is a quick read that explores the relationship between a Parisian family and their nanny -- who isn't so perfect after all. It was inspired by a recent incident in NYC when a nanny killed the two small children in her care.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone with small children being cared for by others.

I received a free ARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley.
A different take on the sinister nanny trope. Louise really is a kind, caring, loving nanny. Until she isn't. Slimani's characters are not only believable, but they are people we know and recognize.
I think this book is so terrifying because it's not that Louse is deranged or that she "snaps" one day, but that she is just worn down until she is entirely broken.

At first glance, Louise seems like a perfect nanny. She's had years of experience and glowing recommendations, children respond positively to her, and cleans in addition to watching your kids. But we know right from the first shocking pages that something is not right with Louise.

This French novel was a compelling character study of Louise, a woman with dark tendencies and fantasies about the seemingly perfect family she nannies for, and Myriam and Peter, the parents employing Louise. Trigger warning: there is a great deal of violence in the first chapter, enough to make me reconsider continuing with this book.

This is not your typical mystery or psychological thriller; we know...

See Full Review

Living in Paris’s tenth arrondissement, Paul and Myriam Masses are married and the parents of two young children, Mila and Adam. Myriam has not used her education and caring for the children has become boring for her. So when a former classmate asks her to join his lawn firm, she is ecstatic. Now, she needs to find a nanny and today she is doing interviews. After interviewing many women, she is taken in by Louise. The woman is in her 40s although she looks much younger. They hire her and both parents are delighted at everything that Louise manages to accomplish each day.

Myriam dives into her new job working long hours and doesn’t miss being at home with the children. Louise is an...

See Full Review
An interesting contribution to modern literature from Europe that will have fans in the U.S.

I found The Perfect Nanny to be almost addictively compelling…and ultimately unsatisfying.

The book begins with something terribly shocking. The rest of the book tells us how we got to that shocking book. Mixed in with the story we have cutting observations – condemnations really – of racism and class distinction in modern Parisian Culture.

Louise, our nanny, is an interesting character, but I never truly understood her. Even in the very end of the book, I felt like I didn’t know her.

As for our family, I loved the children, adored and felt for the mother, and never really knew the father. But, oh, the tragedy hit hard.

I think the ending of the book was hard for me because I do...

See Full Review
After having 2 kids, Myriam is ready to jump back into being an attorney.  She finds the ideal nanny in Louise, a Mary Poppins-like character who not only takes care of both kids but cooks and cleans as well.  She has no idea that behind the young face and petite build there is a very disturbed individual.
This book made me glad I no longer had small children... I would be terrified to have them out of my sight after reading this.  It is very disturbing and creepy.
She's the perfect nanny--takes impeccable care of the children, stays late, arrives early--cooks and cleans with never a complaint.  Myriam and her husband can't imagine how they could get along without her, at least without one of them giving up their careers. But somehow hidden within the perfectness of the nanny, there is something not quite right and the couple begins to wonder if maybe they should figure out a way to get along without her.

This was an intriguing, engrossing story. It unraveled a bit at the end leaving more questions than answers but I think that is what the author intended. Great choice if you like dark, character driven stories.
Not your usual mystery, The Perfect Nanny opens with a horrifying accident. Proceeding chapters take the reader back to the start of the story to slowly discover how this terrifying conclusion came about. As a mom, I had trouble wanting to read this knowing the outcome in advance. Perhaps if it had started a little less gruesome, I could have read the book without feelings of fear and terror.
Myriam needs a good Nanny so that she can return to work after having been home with 2 small children. She needs a Nanny who will love her children and make her life easier. One her husband would approve of. A stable, dependable Nanny. Along comes Louise.......
The Perfect Nanny.......
This one kept me turning pages till the very end. And it ended fast......
This book begins with a horrific event and works its way backwards. I almost stopped reading after the start but I am glad I gave it a chance. It wound up being a beautifully written tale but still about events leading up to something that no one ever wants to think about.

I received a DIGITAL Advance Reader Copy of this book from #NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. From the publisher -
The #1 international bestseller and winner of France’s most prestigious literary prize, the Goncourt—the first book by a Moroccan (and pregnant) woman to win
When Myriam, a French-Moroccan lawyer, decides to return to work after having children, she and her husband look for the perfect nanny for their two young children. They never dreamed they would find Louise: a quiet, polite, devoted woman who sings to the children, cleans the family’s chic apartment in Paris’s upscale tenth arrondissement, stays late without complaint, and hosts enviable kiddie parties. But...