The Perfect Nanny

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 09 Mar 2018

The experience of reading The Perfect Nanny was like watching a car wreck in slow motion: you knew what was coming, you knew it would be horrific, but you're powerless to look away. The first chapter takes ahold of you, and you have to keep reading to know how things ended up there! I would've given the book four stars except the ending doesn't quite live up to the rest of the story; it ends so abruptly I kept trying to flip the pages on my copy convinced that there had to be more.

I received a digital ARC from the publisher via NetGalley
It was alright.  I like the twisted idea and the character of the nanny, but it moved so slowly for being such a thriller of a plot.
This had a bloody start that drew me in right away. I think most women can empathize with Myriam and the struggles of wanting to be with your children and wanting a life of your own as well. I think most parents have also experienced the stress
Of trusting a child to a stranger. A quick paced read. Not sure how I feel about the ending, but I generally enjoyed the book.
With a couple creepy parts and eerie moments, this book focuses more on a character study than on being a thriller. I can understand why one would like it, but I can’t say I did. For me, there was a lot of day-to-day details with very little build-up to basically nothing at the end.

It’s decent if you want to understand why the nanny becomes so horrible but no good if you want an intense story. At least it’s a short book.

Myriam has decided it's time to go back to work after having two children. She dedicated some years to her children, but she really wants to go back to doing what she loves. Not that she doesn't love her children, it's just that she doesn't want her life to revolve around them. However, she doesn't want to be like all the other families in the neighborhood who hire illegals to take care of their children. So when she find Louise, who has glowing reviews and works so well with her children, she considers it a miracle. At first, it's so nice to come home to dinner, her children taken care of, and the house spotless. However, as time goes on Louise seems to...

See Full Review
The plot of this book is every parent's worst nightmare!  When Myriam, a professional, decides with her husband, to return to work after taking time off for her two beautiful, young children, they discover the perfect caretaker, Louise.
 As the title of the book states, she is the "perfect nanny." She is loving, creative and eager to help in every way.  As the story progresses, you are able to see the slow unraveling of Louise's persona which rapidly picks up until the inevitable ultimate horror occurs.
Slimani has the "perfect" horror story which she delivers in a way that will make it difficult for the reader to get it out of their mind.
I knew it would be disturbing but it disturbed me more than I anticipated.  Overall just sad but not a very exciting story. I was hoping for more.
I enjoyed this title about as much as I expected to. I can see why it's as popular as it is though it's not really anything extraordinary or special. Perhaps the best part - for me - was the literal last chapter. There's definitely an audience for this book: the Gone Girl fans, those curious about the lives of the Park Avenue mommies vs those of their hired help domestics. It felt a little like a Law & Order episode featuring a crime that never really gets "solved."
This book surpassed expectation. So much underlying tension, and intensity. Quick read.
But...wait…   The Perfect Nanny is like a jigsaw puzzle with some pieces missing — you get the picture but it’s un-satisfyingly incomplete.  Well written, though, with a unique take on a common theme.
The Perfect Nanny by Leila Slimani is a heart-breaker of a tale.  You know from the very first sentence of the book that this story is not going to end well but the need to keep reading is real.  Myriam and her husband believe that they have found the perfect nanny in Louise.  She not only watches the children she also cooks, cleans, and makes everyone's lives much easier.  However, Louise is in a downward spiral that is going to tear apart Myriam's family.  Read and enjoy!
crookedroadBoth the title and basic plot of this novel scream '90s Lifetime Movie.' They probably were a 90s Lifetime movie. Give it a chance, anyway. Set in Paris, this novel moves beyond generic parental anxiety into class, culture and economic injustice. It’s Lifetime's simplistic nanny formula rendered in 3-D.

Named One of 2018’s Most Anticipated Books by NPR’s Weekend Edition, Real Simple, The Millions, The Guardian, Bustle, and Book Riot

The #1 international bestseller and winner of France’s most prestigious literary prize, the Goncourt

When I saw the teasers for this book, I just had to read it. I'm still not entirely sure what my thoughts are regarding the book...but for the pure fact that I am still thinking about it and I had to stay up late because I couldn't stand the thought of putting it down and not knowing how it ended, makes it 4 stars for me.

This is a very deep and disturbing book to me, primarily because all of the thoughts and actions by both the parents and the...

See Full Review
I expect you will be hearing a lot about this book, if you haven't already. It is a quick read that explores the relationship between a Parisian family and their nanny -- who isn't so perfect after all. It was inspired by a recent incident in NYC when a nanny killed the two small children in her care.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone with small children being cared for by others.

I received a free ARC of this book from the publisher via NetGalley.
A different take on the sinister nanny trope. Louise really is a kind, caring, loving nanny. Until she isn't. Slimani's characters are not only believable, but they are people we know and recognize.
I think this book is so terrifying because it's not that Louse is deranged or that she "snaps" one day, but that she is just worn down until she is entirely broken.

At first glance, Louise seems like a perfect nanny. She's had years of experience and glowing recommendations, children respond positively to her, and cleans in addition to watching your kids. But we know right from the first shocking pages that something is not right with Louise.

This French novel was a compelling character study of Louise, a woman with dark tendencies and fantasies about the seemingly perfect family she nannies for, and Myriam and Peter, the parents employing Louise. Trigger warning: there is a great deal of violence in the first chapter, enough to make me reconsider continuing with this book.

This is not your typical mystery or psychological thriller; we know...

See Full Review

Living in Paris’s tenth arrondissement, Paul and Myriam Masses are married and the parents of two young children, Mila and Adam. Myriam has not used her education and caring for the children has become boring for her. So when a former classmate asks her to join his lawn firm, she is ecstatic. Now, she needs to find a nanny and today she is doing interviews. After interviewing many women, she is taken in by Louise. The woman is in her 40s although she looks much younger. They hire her and both parents are delighted at everything that Louise manages to accomplish each day.

Myriam dives into her new job working long hours and doesn’t miss being at home with the children. Louise is an...

See Full Review
An interesting contribution to modern literature from Europe that will have fans in the U.S.

I found The Perfect Nanny to be almost addictively compelling…and ultimately unsatisfying.

The book begins with something terribly shocking. The rest of the book tells us how we got to that shocking book. Mixed in with the story we have cutting observations – condemnations really – of racism and class distinction in modern Parisian Culture.

Louise, our nanny, is an interesting character, but I never truly understood her. Even in the very end of the book, I felt like I didn’t know her.

As for our family, I loved the children, adored and felt for the mother, and never really knew the father. But, oh, the tragedy hit hard.

I think the ending of the book was hard for me because I do...

See Full Review
After having 2 kids, Myriam is ready to jump back into being an attorney.  She finds the ideal nanny in Louise, a Mary Poppins-like character who not only takes care of both kids but cooks and cleans as well.  She has no idea that behind the young face and petite build there is a very disturbed individual.
This book made me glad I no longer had small children... I would be terrified to have them out of my sight after reading this.  It is very disturbing and creepy.