How to Stop Time

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 Apr 2018

3.5 out of 5 stars

Tom Hazard looks like your average 41-year-old but he is anything but. Tom doesn’t age like you and I do and he has been alive for centuries. He belongs to the Albatross Society where everyone is like he is. They have a few rules. You can only stay in the same place for 8 years because people will notice after awhile if you have not aged. Don’t fall in love. But Tom was in love once and he has a daughter who has the same affliction. He wants to find her and his, I guess you would call it, boss has supposedly been looking for her.

He is now back in London, teaching History, which is perfect because he has lived it. He also finds himself attracted to Camille, another...

See Full Review
This isn’t a time travel book, per se, but it feels a lot like one - full of wonder and ennui at the tides of history, tinged with a bit of desperation to find the meaning in it all.

Tom Hazard is old. Really, really old. He’s not immortal, but he ages so slowly that he appears to be. For his first hundred years or more, he is on his own, struggling to understand why he is different, uprooting himself when his neighbors begin to whisper, feeling isolated and frightened. Eventually, he meets others like him and joins a “society” created to fund and protect those with his condition. He is comfortable and safe, but is he fully living?

This was a surprisingly m
An intriguing premise which I thoroughly enjoyed.  The pacing was a bit slow for me but overall an enjoyable read.

This was a compelling read.

I liked the basic premise of this book - having a long life is not necessarily an unmixed blessing. Even beyond the problem of having to re-invent oneself periodically, to avoid the issues when others realize that you don't seem to be aging along with everyone else, our main character's mental state reflected some of the issues of living for so long. Not the standard vampire long life - you can stop at some young, attractive age, and just stay there - you keep aging, just really, really slowly.

And the issues of "memory headaches" and having trouble focusing, without slipping into one's memories of the past. That can be tricky...

See Full Review

There comes a time when the only way to start living is to tell the truth. To be who you are, even if it is dangerous.

So, I'm breaking the rule of not sharing a quote on an ARC book. You kind of have to know if you are going to read this one...do you like pretty flowery writing? It's pretty full of that.

Tom is old. Very old. He just does not look it. He has been alive for centuries. No, he isn't one of those sparkly vampires.

He has a condition that causes him to age much slower than the normal human. Of course, that causes problems. Whether in the olden days where they suspected everyone of witchcraft or the 20th century where we can just be dingdongs. Tom has...

See Full Review
"We carry the past with us."
A wonderful novel about a man,Tom Hazard, who was born in 1581. He had a condition called Anageria. People with this, age very, very slowly.
The lesson learned is that, living longer than family and friends is not always a good thing.
Tom takes a job in present day, as a history teacher and finds himself going back to the times he had lived .
 The past is taught from a first hand prospective and Tom does it well.
This is a true historical fiction novel, bringing us back in time and understanding some valuable lessons as we read.
"Time can surprise you sometimes."
This book is going to hold the bar high for the rest of the books I read this year!
It was well written, great character development, and kept me intrigued.
I only read a few chapters during the holidays, but was able to finish it on a cross-country flight. So happy I was able to read this!
The author is obviously a very good literary writer. This is a nice, decent story, but . . . It is S L O W.  The main character is likable enough and I felt his angst and had sympathy for him, but he was kind of boring. This book held so much promise with its theme of living an extremely long life and aging so much more slowly than the average human being. With all of the adventures, experiences and emotions this could entail, it should have been a great, exciting story. Sadly, for me, it wasn’t.
This book takes you from the 1500, all the way to the present and the man who lives it. I also enjoyed all of the history that the author added. I really liked this book, it was very different and outside of the box.

Tom Hazard has been in this world for 439 years, even though he barely looks 40. He's currently teaching history in London, and his students like his class because it feels like he's been there. That's probably right. He's seen the great city develop throughout the centuries, and even though he hardly recognized it now for what it used to be, his heart knows each corner of it. His life is closely enmeshed here, and for this he loves it, and he suffers as well.

The premise of the book is well set. Tom is not immortal. He just ages at a very slow pace. He calls it a condition, and so it is. He is not a vampire, not a creature of the night, not a freak, nothing to be...

See Full Review
I was thrilled to find How To Stop Time to be as intriguing a read as the cover blurb boasted. Tom, the main character is a truly likeable fellow who has lived through many interesting bits of civilization. He's met Shakespeare, Fitzgerald and seen Josephine Baker dance. But he's also faced a loneliness that only such a long life can bring. This was a wonderful tale, truly original in both character and plot. Don't pass up How To Stop TIme!
A lovely, lyrical novel reflecting on time, love, history, and how they endure. Tom is afflicted with a problem, he ages very slowly. As the novel opens he's over 400 years old. To escape the inevitable questions and accusations he moves often and has little connection to others.

He's part of a society of these people and the first is don't fall in love. Tom did love once and had a daughter, afflicted with his problem . His search for he fuels his life.  But is the rule really true? Can Tom live a life that's connected with others, a life that has a future?

This book provides us with answers about the most important things.

Firstly, thanks to PENGUIN GROUP VIKING for giving me an advanced readers copy!

"How to Stop Time" is about a man named Tom Hazard who has a rare condition, he doesn’t age, at least not in the way normal people do. He has lived for four centuries and barely looks middle aged. In present day 2018, he is a history teacher in London, but he has lived all over the world throughout his longevity of a life crossing paths with William Shakespeare, Charlie Chaplin and Captain Cook. It's a story about understanding the true meaning of time, love, and happiness.

When I began reading this novel, I immediately loved the concept and story, and honestly I still felt that way when the...

See Full Review
How strange.  I recently finished another book with the same premise, although that protagonist had lived many centuries longer.  In spite of that, I found this book to be amusing and well-researched for the historical insights.
Just a bad fit - this book is smart sci-fi about a man who never ages and is part of some order who polices them and protects their secret. He is told never to fall in love. Of course, he does.  It will probably be a hit but I found it depressing and kept wishing it would get to the point. It rambled a lot too.
First of all, I adore'd Haig's "The Humans" and was excited to try this one. I was so SO underwelmed. The story just sits there, marinating on the page as if it's merely *thinking* about picking up and being more interesting.  It was such a great premise, but by the time I'd read half-way and absolutely nothing had happened other than some past-life flashbacks...I gave up.  Although the writing and attention to historical detail was fantastic, so there's that.

Tom Hazard looks like a typical 40 year old man but he has a secret, he is actually centuries old. He has a rare condition in which he ages much slower than other humans. This condition has allowed him to live and exceptional life preforming with Shakespeare, sailing with Captain Cook, and having drinks with Fitzgerald but he has also suffered the loss of those he has loved.
Tom belongs to group called the Albatross society in which he recruits others like him seeking refuge from those wishing them harm. Tom tires of constantly moving and attempts an ordinary life as a high school History teacher in London. The first rule of the Albatross society is not to fall in love but when Tom meets...

See Full Review

Though Haig writes for both kids and adults I thought this book would be something that a middle schooler would enjoy. Well, I was wrong. This is a book for young adults, or adults, simply because I don't think that a kid would really get that much from the meaning of the story.

The concept of various people who live hundreds of years and do not age is a theme that has entranced people through the ages. The main character in this story is Tom Hazard, at least that is one name that he has gone by through the centuries. As you can imagine he has many experiences, some with famous writers, which added interest to those who love books and authors.

The best and worst time that he...

4.5 stars for this one.

"If you saw me, you would probably think I was about forty, but you would be very wrong. I am old — old in the way that a tree, or a quahog clam, or a Renaissance painting is old."

Because of a rare medical condition, Tom Hazard has been alive since the 1500s. Born into a wealthy French family, he has traveled all over the world, assumed many different identities, and led a life characterized by adventure, trauma, emotion, and loneliness. Tom has performed with Shakespeare, explored with Captain Cook, shared a cocktail with F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald, and experienced the drastic changes the world has undergone through the centuries.

Even though he has...

See Full Review

Tom Hazard is a man with a secret. He may look like a average middle aged man; but in reality he's over 400 years old. He's lived through the centuries; met and conversed with the likes of Shakespeare, Fitzgerald and Captain Cook. He's even found a group of people - The Albatross Society - who are just like him. The only rule? Never fall in love. Connections to other people can be dangerous therefore living a solitary life is necessary. Only Tom doesn't want to live a solitary life anymore - he wants to explore a relationship with a woman who has caught his eye...and he wants to find his daughter who is afflicted with the same time slowing condition as her father. Can...