The Actor's Life

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 14 Dec 2017

Unlike most celebrity memoirs, "The actor's life" is a more detailed guide to making it as an actor than just a collection of anecdotes from a celebrity's life. Jenna Fischer did an excellent job in analyzing her experience as a struggling and a successful actor and presented clear guidelines to succeeding in the strange world of show business.
The only downside is that non-actors (like me) might find it a little too specific, therefore not entirely engaging. Still, it's worth a read.
Jenna Fischer gives an honest, no-holds barred look into life as an aspiring actor. Popular for The Office (US version), she writes engagingly and in an informal, friendly style. Forward by Steve Carell.
i enjoy reading about people's lives, but lately not so much about actors - the biography has to engage me and draw me in. sadly this one did not.
Filled with great advice, this is a fun book to read and a great resource for anyone in a creative field. I enjoyed the stories and the lessons learned and found them to relate to more than just acting.

Jenna Fischer’s phenomenal book ‘The Actor’s Life’ is factual, funny and a fantastic guide to the world of acting. This is one of those books that is informative, personable yet so enjoyable that you can’t stop reading. I am not an actor but I personally loved this book and it is one that works on so many levels.

The book starts out with Ms Fischer interest in acting and her school productions and then through her education which includes the many different facets of her experiences. She then makes the move to Los Angeles and this is where the book really comes into its own. From her experiences in dodgy to professional auditions to her eventually being cast in the hit show ‘The...

My Rating – 3.25/5

Even though I’m not an actor and I do not have any aspirations to become an actor, I wanted to read Jenna Fischer’s book because I was a big fan of her as Pam on “The Office” tv series. While Jenna points out in the prologue that you’ll probably get more out of this book if you’re an actor, I don’t think that’s necessarily true – it’s enjoyable and interesting enough that the audience is wider than she thinks.

In this actor’s survival guide, she gives tips and anecdotes from her personal struggles about how to get on in Hollywood. She prefaces it by saying that there is no guaranteed recipe for becoming a celebrity but there are steps that one can take to increase the...

See Full Review
If I were an aspiring actor, I would give this book 5+ stars, but for anyone else, this book is way to in the weeds for  tips on becoming an actor.  I really like Jenna & was hoping there would be a mix of tips and more enjoyable reading about her life.  If you are looking for a fun read about Jenna becoming an actor - this isn't it, but if you want some valuable tips from an insider, this is the book for you.
thanks netgalley!
this seems like it would be super helpful to someone who wants to get into acting, that is not me. there were definitely some interesting parts.
I have never ever wanted to be an actor, and never will, but that didn't stop me enjoying this book.

Although it is touted as a "Guide" it is heavily autobiographical with the subtle self-deprecating humour that you would expect from someone who played Pam.
Well this book was not marketed towards me, as I have never wanted to be an actor, it was an interesting read. Jenna Fisher is such a likable person and this was easy to read and highly entertaining at times. I liked having a behind the scenes look at the inner workings of an actor. This is definitely more of a how to then a memoir but my favorite parts were the little anadotes she made throughout about her own encounters. If you want to be an actor or know someone who does I highly recommend this book because there is lots of great advice from someone who struggled to find success but found it nonetheless.

I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I am about to start reading The Actor’s Life: A Survival Guide by Jenna Fischer. I love her as an actress, she is hilarious in every movie. And of course, as Pam on The Office, I can’t forget that one!

I don’t ever want to be an actress in Hollywood but I do love hearing the stories from those who have worked in the industry so I’m super interested to hear what Jenna has to say.

Here’s the synopsis:

Jenna Fischer’s Hollywood journey began at the age of 22 when she moved to Los Angeles from her hometown of St. Louis. With a theater degree in hand, she was determined, she was confident, she was ready to work hard. So, what could go wrong?

Uh, basically everything. The path to being a...

See Full Review

I am so grateful this book is out there as a tool for aspiring actors! I only wish it had been something I had when I started out, years ago. The advice Jenna Fischer gives is not only invaluable, it's up to date and 100% honest in its description of the way the industry works right now.

I think that it can also be a really helpful tool for parents and loved ones of those who are in the acting business or even considering it to read as well. I've had so many of the uncomfortable conversations about my career at family functions, and I loved knowing that someone as successful goes through the same things. This can help people in an actor's life understand the difficulty that...

See Full Review
I think the best way to describe this book is "cute and funny".  I thought there would be a little more "dirt" in her story, but overall this was good.

I like that the author has a sens of humor and in many ways, this book shows that she doesn't take everything overly seriously, especially in the business she is in.

A lot of fun to read, just wish there was a little more juicy stuff.
Definitely an excellent read for anyone aspiring to be an actor. Jenna crafts an superb narrative on her journey, bumps and all, in L.A.. I did enjoy the book despite never having any inclination towards acting. I believe this might be loved even more by someone with acting dreams.

I was provided a copy of this book by Netgalley in exchange for my honest review
This was a nice cross between biography and honest advice from an actor who succeeded in Hollywood. Jenna Fischer outlines her eight-year journey to becoming an overnight sensation. She also gives concrete and (at least from my incredibly un-knowledgeable point of view) good advice on how to be an actor and what you can realistically expect when you move to LA to become a Big Star.

Four stars

This book came out November 14

ARC kindly provided by NetGalley

In grade school I got my start when I played Toto in The Wizard of Oz

In THE ACTOR’S LIFE, author Jenna Fischer gives some tough, but kindly advice to the aspiring actor. She admits it was a really tough road for her, and required a lot of persistence, as well as luck. The journey is a “long and difficult one that requires a lot of hard work. . . Without a little luck on your side, you can be the most talented actor in the world and not achieve success.“

Here’s the honest truth—it’s very unlikely you will become a star, or even make a living wage: “If your motivation for becoming an actor is because you are hoping to be rich, change careers now. Most actors barely earn a living wage from...

See Full Review
I read this more as a fan of Jenna Fischer than as an aspiring actor, but I found it very enjoyable. Anecdotes and advice come in almost a 1:1 ratio, so it never feels too much like a handbook - it always carries her personal story. Her books seems as charming and likable as she is. I'd definitely recommend to aspiring actors, and to fans of The Office or charming pseudo-memoirs.

Jenna Fischer recounts her years as a struggling actor and relays the lessons, big and small, that she learned along the way.

This is definitely not your typical celebrity book. Fischer had a purpose when she sat down to write this book: to use her experience to help other people find their way as working actors. She wanted to give advice on both the logistical and emotional parts of the process of becoming an actor.

I would definitely say that this book is best suited for her intended audience and potentially incredibly useful to those people. However, if you are expecting a book that will be interesting and useful with larger lessons about life for any reader, you may be disappointed...