River Queen Rose

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 05 Jan 2018

This is an interesting read. Rose is a woman who finds out how strong she really is, and she is such an innocent that she is endearing. Deke is a man with secrets but very much a gentleman. I loved their interactions, and I loved the setting. The story includes some dark moments but I feel that it had to their journey.

I received a copy of this story through Netgalley, and this is my unsolicited review.
It wasn't easy to be a widow in 1845 Sacramento.  Rose's husband is killed in a duel just before she arrives after a long journey and she finds herself in possession of a hotel. She makes her own way and her own decisions, despite the judgmental attitudes of her in-laws.  There's a little romance, including one with eek - Mason who killed her husband Emmet- and with Deke, an Australian.  Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.  This is good historical fiction and a fast entertaining read.  The title indicates this is the first book in a series; I'm looking forward to spending more time with these characters.

The family is on a wagon train, almost done with their very long trip. They find Emmet Peterson's farm, and pull in. Emmet has been killed. His wife (Rose), is having a hard time, as is the rest of the family. Deke Fleming is the hired man from Austraila.
What a read, the emotions, the fear, so much pain. But there were some humorous moments. Rose had to stand up to her in-laws, they didn't want her to do anything but womens work. But she had inherited a gambling, eating and brothel. She knew she could do it..The characters were amazing, they showed the emotions and everyone seemed so life like.. The dialogue made sense and matched what we might have said under the same...

See Full Review

River Queen Rose is a historical tale about a woman, Rose Peterson, whose husband, Emmet, left his family behind to find his fortune in the Gold Rush. He finally achieved enough wealth and has asked his family to join him. Rose travels with their young daughter and in laws to meet Emmet. When they arrive at his farm, they learn he has died in a duel that he supposedly caused.

Rose has always lived in the shadows of her in laws. She married her husband but there was no true love between them. He left behind a hotel that is well built but caters to the miners in the community. Rose finds out that she is the one who has inherited the hotel. It is expected she will sign it over to her in laws...

See Full Review
This is the story of Rose and Deke. It is a very sweet story with a very slow pace. I found Rose too passive and almost submissive to her in laws. She did found her voice after a few chapter but I was already lost. I like a bit of steam in my books and it was lacking in here. If you like your books with no steam, then this is the book for you. This was my first book from this author and I was not very sold on the story.