Into the Black Nowhere

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Dec 2018

I loved UNSUB, the first book in Meg Gardiner's UNSUB series.  Into the Black Nowhere is good but not quite as good as book one.  I felt it was very slow to get going and there was a lot of telling in the beginning.  Rookie FBI agent Caitlin Hendrix is a great character, fierce and intelligent and determined to get her UNSUB but there was something missing in this entry.  It fell a bit flat for me and less exciting...it may have been the lack of interaction with Sean Rawlins, who was a big part of the first book.  I did like Caitlin's partner Rainey and hope she is in future installments.  Through Into the Black Nowhere disappointed me, I'll still continue the series.
I can't say enough about my love for Meg Gardiner and Into the Black Nowhere is superb. We are back with Caitlin Hendrix as she goes out on her first case as part of the FBI's BAU (Behavioral Analysis Unit). Women are going missing with no clues as to who is taking them. Caitlin has a specific knack for getting into the psyche of the killer. She sees things that others might not.

I love the constant strong and yet vulnerable female heroines she continues to write. I can't wait to read the next installment!
“We serial killers are your sons, we are your husbands, we are everywhere.”
-Ted Bundy

Obviously serial killer thrillers are hot stuff right now; it’s become near impossible for anyone to get away with the criteria and multiple murders required to be classified as such with technology advancing as it is. This has developed into the best of both worlds- we see the scum getting taken off the streets and our inner curious drama queen gets to experience what used to be a real fear and concern plaguing society in our fiction. I used to wonder how someone like Ted Bundy got so many women to trust him; sure he was good looking and charismatic, but when a killer is on the loose prowling at night and women are urged to exact the utmost caution, how did he manage to STILL deceive so many ladies? Into The Black Nowhere was a fantastic fictional account that helped me understand just how a wolf in sheep’s clothing can fool nearly anyone into believing what they want you to.

Telephone poles flashed by, covered with fluttering flyers. It had now been thirty-nine hours since Shana Kerber was taken. With every hour that passed, the likelihood of finding her alive plunged.

Into The Black Nowhere was actually quite different than Unsub, and that’s not a bad thing. While I did feel the suspense was not as gripping in this novel (we find out fairly early the identity of the killer and he follows a very similar M.O. to the original Ted Bundy), I loved how much the “series” portion of the novel matured. Caitlin and Rainey were a dynamic duo and I would LOVE to see Rainey in future books. She was a strong POC and I feel that mainstream thrillers just do not have enough of these. She was entirely as vital to this story as Caitlin herself, and now that she’s kind of on her own, I like the idea of Caitlin making a deep, platonic connection with another female who gets what she goes through and struggles with on a daily basis.

“Streets are too quiet,” Caitlin said.
“Small town,” Rainey said.
“Fearful town.”

The plot was a little less twisty this go around, but I felt because we knew more here, the action and pacing were brilliant and nerve-wracking. I loved how this felt like a true, FBI thriller and it wasn’t trying to also market as a psychological suspense/mystery. I did miss seeing an abundance of Sean in this book, but I understand why he wasn’t as relevant in this installment and was pleased at how the ending of this book gave a little nod to Unsub and book #3. I am beyond ecstatic to see where Meg Gardiner takes us next and am waiting with bated breath for another showdown with Caitlin and her crew! Hurry up 2019!!! ❤

“I’ll slip into floating darkness. It’ll be like falling through a field of stars, into the black nowhere.”
This is the sequel to Unsub. I didn't like this one as much as the first one, but will read anything by this author. It was definitely a great ride
Though I liked the book, I made the decision when I finished not to review it on my site because it didn't fit into my editorial schedule. I may include it in a review post or possibly a book list post in the future.
After finishing UNSUB, I was very excited to move on to the next in the series. Unsub had been my first Meg Gardiner novel, and I was pleasantly surprised by her writing style. In fact, I was so engrossed in her writing that I almost felt like I was part of the investigation. With Into the Black Nowhere, Meg did it again; I felt just as involved with the story.

At the end of Unsub, Caitlin is provided with an opportunity that she simply cannot pass up. She is asked to join the FBI as a profiler. While the decision is a step in the right direction for her career, it is proving to be a difficult one for her relationship. The distance and case load that both her and Sean are facing as FBI agents has proven to be greater than both of them thought it would be. This, I have to say was somewhat of a disappointment for me with this novel, as I was really hoping to see their relationship blossom after there tough go of it during there run in with The Prophet.

Caitlin lands a big case that involves missing women, left in the woods in a white nightie with Polaroids placed around their heads like headstones. Their wrists slashed, suicide-style, but clearly all victims of something much more sinister. As Caitlin and her team begin their investigation they receive a tip, one that they feel is too intriguing to pass up. When what they believed to be the perfect suspect turns up to be blind, Caitlin and her team have no choice but to look elsewhere. Caitlin, still unsettled by the tip she receives from Lia, she is soon looking into another man from Lia's past that may just be the individual they are looking for... Kyle Detrick.

The more Caitlin learns about Kyle Detrick, that more she is convinced this is their guy! She begins stake outs, watching Kyle Detrick's every move. Only the more she attempts to learn about Kyle, the more he begins to learn about her. It's evident that Kyle is charismatic, his cool demeanor only adding to the appeal. What's interesting about what Gardiner has done here is that you're not playing the "guess who the suspect" game is with this one. It's early one when the suspect is revealed, then it simply becomes the cat and mouse game for Caitlin and Detrick, and this is what is really captivating. It's done in such a way that it's not overly predictable, but there's credibility and ingenuity.

What's interesting to me is how with each novel they are based on real serial killers. It's clear that Gardiner has done her homework, and the inspiration just pours into her novels. It's as if this series is a profiler in itself... cataloging the various styles of serial killers giving a fresh perspective to her writing. It's genius really, because this allows her to avoid those pitfalls that many authors often fall victim to, which is redundancy in the plot/storyline and creating characters we've already seen. I previously started a series which I had to abandoned because with each novel I saw a pattern, and by the fourth, I felt like I was just reading the same book over and over again with just different names for the characters... not good. I have no fear of that with this series, and I cannot wait to see what Gardiner brings us next... there are so many different serial killers that she can find inspiration in.

I want to thank NetGalley, Penguin Group Dutton, and Meg Gardiner for allowing me the chance to read this novel in exchange for my review. It was thrilling, refreshing, and well crafted.
RATING: 4 STARS
​(I received an ARC from the NETGALLEY​)​
(Review Not on Blog)
Listened to on Audio

In the UNSUB series, Gardiner takes real-life cases and puts her own spin on it with Caitlin Hendrix at the helm. I am really enjoying the suspense in this book, and Caitlin's own story. It is a nice balance. I really like Caitlin and it makes me more invested in the book and cases. Gardiner reminds me of Karin Slaughter with the grittiness and scare-factor. I am looking forward to the next one!
Into the Black Nowhere is a superb thriller with Criminal Minds flair. Book two in Gardiner’s UNSUB series, Caitlin Hendrix and her FBI profiling team are on the trail of the “Saturday Night Killer,” a serial killer preying on young women; capturing, killing, and staging his victims with maniacal attention to detail. I did not read UNSUB #1 but had no problem jumping in at book two. I credit Gardiner’s clean, precise, and engaging writing style.

I diverged from my usual PNR and UF preferences on this straight up crime thriller, however, it was a refreshing detour. The storyline was superb and the characters captivating. Caitlin is as smart as she is tough, but she’s human; almost tragically so. Her baggage and common human insecurities make her real for the reader. Her dogged determination to snag her prey prompted me to read with a parallel tenacity. The psychopathic killer is well-developed and merciless. The story is raw and tragic, but ultimately triumphant. The epilogue sets the stage for UNSUB #3 and, honestly, I can’t wait.

Into the Black Nowhere is a definite must-read for crime thriller fans.
I LOVE Caitlin Hendrix!  My WHOLE life I’ve wanted to be a detective/crime scene investigator. Why I never chose that career path, I’ll never know – AND...…  I think that’s why I love psychological thrillers/crime books so much! Gardiner pulled me into her UNSUB series BIG time!  It takes incredible writing skill to transport a reader into a story and Gardiner did exactly that for me! She made me want to strap a Glock to my hip and put a badge around my neck...

A sequel to UNSUB  – INTO THE BLACK NOWHERE allows us to follow newly promoted FBI agent, Caitlin Hendrix from Quantico, Virginia to the State of Texas as she tries to take down a serial killer who is putting an ENTIRE community on edge. It’s a VERY small town and the FBI have arrived – the entire community is paralyzed with fear.  In this story we know early on WHO the killer is so we get to see inside his or HER (hmmmmm) mind and watch some pretty darn good detective work at the same time!  Of course HOW the book ends – I was like WHAT!?!?!?!?    NOW I have to wait for the next book to come out!! Argh! 😳
Into the Black Nowhere is a worthy sequel to what has been the start of a deliciously creepy series.  Meg Gardiner is excellent at delivering novels that keep you up at night.  After her 5 star debut, UnSub, she sends FBI agent Caitlyn Hendrix to a small town in Texas where women are disappearing and being murdered at an accelerating rate. What follows is a suspenseful cat and mouse chase with a known suspect who seems to always be one step ahead of the feds.  It was interesting in this novel that we knew who the killer was fairly early on, which was a welcome change of pace from most thrillers.  It's clear that Gardiner has hit gold with this series and I cannot wait to read the next book. 5 stars and a definite recommend and purchase!
FBI Profiler Caitlin Hendrix is on the hunt for a man who is abducting and killing women in Texas. His crimes are getting more and more brazen, and they realize the unsub must be someone handsome and charming, disarming his victims.
Caitlin gets a tip that pays off - they discover the unsub's identity and arrest him. Unfortunately, his ability to charm people also extends to his captors and a cadre of fans, which allows him to escape. He leads the FBI on a manhunt across several states, in a desperate race to save the lives of those who tipped Caitlin off about his identity.
Another great thriller from Meg Gardiner! I am really enjoying the UNSUB series and hope that it continues. It's been awhile since I read something so fast paced and heart pounding. I was hanging on for dear life through the twists and turns and loving every minute of it. It would make a great movie!
My heart has only just stopped racing after reading Into the Black Nowhere. Gardiner has once again written an nail-biting thriller in the second in her UNSUB series. In this book a serial killer reminiscent of Ted Bundy is kidnapping and killing women, using his charm to get them under his control before he dominates them completely and then murders them. Caitlin Hendrix is now part of the FBI Behavioural Analysis Unit and has been called to consult on the case and although they identify the murderer, there is only circumstantial evidence connecting him to the crimes…but is Caitlin doesn’t stop him he will kill again and soon.

If anyone is a fan of the TV programme Criminal Minds, like I am, than I think you will adore these books. Caitlin is now in the Behavioural Analysis Unit (BAU) and hunting down some of the worse criminals in the US. What I found made this so creepy, is that I am fairly familiar with many true crime cases, including Ted Bundy, which this story is based on, so I know how close this played with reality. This isn’t some supernatural super villain. It’s the charismatic and handsome psycho next door.

But, even if you aren’t aware how closely Into the Black Nowhere reflects some true life cases, it’s still extremely atmospheric and scary. Gardiner does a great job drawing you into the story and keeping you on the edge of your seat, as this story isn’t so much of a whodunit – you find out fairly quickly – but more of a prove-he-dun-it. Which, I found ratcheted up the tension and frustration so much more.

As well as the fast moving and exciting story, we also burrow further into Caitlin’s life, which has changed since the first book and traumatic events that happened. I liked that we got to know her a little more, it made her more than just a caricature of an FBI agent and more of a character in her own right. Although, the main focus of this book is less character development and more the plot of the story.

A great book and with the way this one ended, I now NEED to read the next one as soon as possible! If you love thrillers or just fancy a book to give you a small scare than you definitely need to give this series a try.
Into the Black Nowhere, inspired by real-life serial killer Ted Bundy, follows Unsub as the second in a series starring rookie FBI agent Caitlin Hendrix.

This time, women are being abducted on Saturday nights in southern Texas. Soon, bodies are found.
Into the Black Nowhere is the second novel in award-winning author, Meg Gardiner’s, UNSUB series. Readers met protagonist, Caitlin Hendrix, in UNSUB, and even though she hasn’t had much experience as an FBI profiler, her instincts are right on. She is damaged herself, and has personal issues, which seem to make her easier to relate to and more human. Caitlin and her team are charged with bringing in a serial killer, apparently patterned after Ted Bundy. This killer is not only extremely good looking which gets him fans and groupies, but is also able to manipulate almost everyone to his advantage so that he can keep on killing. As Caitlin follows the clues, she discovers that the killer is into revenge, and hunts down anyone who has given Caitlin any information on him. She boldly follows him – in plain sight so that he is totally aware of her - and it gets to him so that she and her team, as well as unsuspecting women are in danger.

This novel is well-written – actually better than the first installment – and is difficult to put down. Although it’s a good idea to read the first installment before reading this one, it isn’t absolutely necessary since Gardiner develops the characters well and readers get to know them in this second novel. Gardiner is an excellent storyteller and the book flows in such a way that fans may stay up late at night to follow the story. There is also plenty of palpable suspense.

While there is no actual graphic violence in the novel, readers will still have an idea in their minds just what the bodies end up looking like, and also be shocked by the number of bodies and the lack of guilt by the perpetrator. The suggestion of violence may be too intense for younger readers. Into the Black Nowhere most readers on the edge of their seats, and yearning for more.

Special thanks to NetGalley for supplying a review copy of this book.
The UNSUB series is quickly becoming one of my favorites. Sensational author Meg Gardiner is back to give us more of Caitlin Hendrix as an FBI profiler.
I loved seeing the bold determination in her pursuit to find a merciless serial killer. She's just as determined as he was!! I interesting plot that'll keep you guessing until the end.
Love Caitlin Hendrix as the main character for she shows her strength along with her human vulnerabilities and is willing to use both to catch the bad guy! Another hit of a story for Meg Gardiner who knows how to get into the depraved minds of killers and make them come alive in her stories. Plenty of suspense and some twists and turns in this book and a cliffhanger at the end just leaving me waiting for the next book in the series to come out. I received a copy of this book via netgalley.
Last year, I read and reviewed UNSUB by Meg Gardiner, and had a few challenges (ended up not being 100% positive about it). But I generally like Gardiner’s books, so I was pleased to receive a copy of Into the Black Nowhere, the second book in her new series featuring Caitlin Hendrix (thanks to PENGUIN GROUP Dutton and NetGalley). In UNSUB, we met Caitlin as a cop about to become an FBI agent, hot on the trail of a serial killer called The Prophet (modeled on the still unsolved Zodiac Killer murders). This time around, Caitlin is on the hunt for a charming serial killer (Ted Bundy, anyone?)

Caitlin’s adventure finds her assigned to investigate the disappearance of several women in Southern Texas. Caitlin and the FBI’s serial crime unit find a victim in the woods, laid out in a bloody white babydoll nightgown. Then a second victim is found in a white nightgown – and both victims are found surrounded by Polaroid photos, showing a woman laid out like Snow White waiting to be awakened by Prince Charming. Ugh.

Caitlin has a suspect, but there is only circumstantial evidence – and the UNSUB is killing more frequently, so there is a tension surrounding the game of cat and mouse that Caitline is playing with him.

As a standalone, this one is well done. I suspect anyone who loved UNSUB will be ecstatic with the further adventures of Caitlin. I happen to like the “plucky heroine” genre, so it was fun for me, and IMHO it is better than UNSUB, which did lay a solid foundation for Caitlin’s character development. Four stars.
I absolutely loved the locale of this book! Of course, duh, it would be Austin. HA!!

This book kept me mesmerized for hours and I loved it!!!! So many suspected characters for me that, of course, did not work quite that way. Ahhh, the joy of a good book!!!!

I do have to say that Caitlin did tend to get on my nerves a little with her self analysis and issues. However, I still enjoyed the book. A lot!!!

Thanks to Penguin Group Dutton and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.
I was lost in the sunny, jagged craggy coulee with Susanne and Kaceey reading Into The Black Nowhere feeling very excited to start reading this one. Once we settled in and opened up this book we were lost in the coulee and couldn’t be found till we were done.

Caitlin now an FBI profiler in training is on the case for a killer that turns into a cat and mouse game. The dynamics here between Caitlin and the killer is tense, interesting and engaging. Caitlin in more vulnerable and pushes herself as she goes up against this arrogant and cunning killer.

Meg Gardiner does a fantastic job creating an interesting team here with Caitlin and her colleagues who all work together to bring down this killer and we really loved the dynamics between them as we were cheering them all on in this fascinating cat and mouse game.

Meg Gardiner takes us thundering down a fast-paced road soaring along with Beyonce's “freedom” blaring through the coulee. We could feel that black-blood sensation creeping into our veins under that violet sunset. We soared through this book in mostly one day only stopping to reach for a much-needed coffee till we got to the ending that left us all saying WOW. We highly recommend.

Published January 30, 2018

Thank you, NetGalley, Penguin Group and Meg Gardiner for a copy to read and review.

All of our Traveling Sisters Review can be found on our sister blog: