Dalí

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 27 Nov 2017

Despite the fact that this is a sci-fi story ( which is not my usual fare), I was curious about this story and honestly couldn’t wait to read it.
I was drawn into Dali's world the minute I started reading. The characters, the exquisitely detailed world building the political and social issues that cleverly mirror our real-life struggles had me hungrily devouring this story, dying to learn more about this enigmatic MC who is essentially gender neutral. Dali is one of the most interesting, unique and unforgettable main character I have ever encountered. Try wrapping your head around picturing an MC who’s external presentation of gender is neutral, triggered by mood or dictated according to what Dali’s sexual partner desires. It is because of this why I refer to Dali in my mind as they.

As if Dali wasn’t intriguing enough, there’s that element of where book narrative mimics today’s political clime. The denial that people are born this way, that their external physicality may not necessarily be indicative of their gender or sexual attraction is constantly addressed in every situation involving Dali. One of the most uncomfortable scenes to read involved people trying their hardest to push forth politically sanctioned genocide of third gender citizens because of their personal bias, ignorance and religious beliefs. Dali’s “lifestyle” ( married to both a man and a woman before their lives forever changed) and sexual conquests fanned the flames of zealots determined to see the third gender politically oppressed, preferably exterminated.

This story is NOT for the faint of heart. Dali deals with heavy hitting issues that some readers may wish to be aware of. Dali experiences hate, loss, sex trafficking and betrayal. The world is dark, Dali’s personal existence is dark but there's enough action, plot twists and turns present to lighten the "heavy". Another wonderful thing about Dali, is that despite the darkness, this story inspires readers (specifically cis readers), to challenge their fixed understanding of sexual attraction and gender identity. The one complaint I have about Dali is the abrupt ending. I was absolutely gobsmacked that there were so many unresolved issues regarding Dali’s personal life and future happiness left up in the air. The one good thing about leaving Dali’s personal life in limbo is that we can look forward to future stories featuring our favorite polyamorous gender fluid being. I cannot wait to read more :)
Dalí was a great read, with intrigue, mystery and sensuality. Our protagonist is Dalí, a gender-fluid Changling with troubled past and a possible death-wish. With a knack for getting themselves into percarious situations, Dalí travels through space to find vengance, and a purpose.
 Dalí was a character that I could connect with; they were sarcastic, smart and was anaylizing everything throughout the story. The novel reads like a sensual spy novel in space, which was something I didn't know I needed. It was great to have an unapologetically LGBTQ character at the front and center of a sci-fi novel that not only felt real, but had a twist to them too.
My only critisism of  Dalí is that the ending felt a bit rushed. I'm hoping that this novel is setting up for a sequel, in which case it might segway into the sequel quite well.
Overall, if you want some sci-fi queer lit, or even just a great adventure in space, I would highly reccomend  Dalí.
This is maybe more like 3.5 stars but this book managed to take several things that I usually don't care for and turn them into an enjoyable book so I figured the least I could do was round up. I'm not a big sci-fi person in general and I usually hate things set in space, but I figured I would give this one a try because of the queer protagonist. Add in all the different races and planets and interstellar politics and I would normally be getting a headache but this book managed to explain all of that pretty well while still having room for an action packed plot.

THE REST OF THE REVIEW CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS.

I was a bit worried about halfway through because I thought the whole thing was going to get very gross and Stockholm Syndromy, but it actually managed to convey a compelling relationship between Dali and Rhix and I was happy with how it it ended.
'Dali' is a completely unique, mind-bending science fiction tale which is based around a gender-fluid character of the same name. There are inter-galactic politics, trafficking, back-alley business deals, and aliens of all kinds. And I think that's why I didn't get as into this story as I thought I would, honestly.

This is a world that you have to build in your mind - don't get me wrong, all of the blocks are there to be stacked. My brain just isn't capable of doing so right at the moment. Between holiday preparations and little kid nap times, I just want to read light and fluffy. This book IS NOT that. That isn't to say it isn't good or enjoyable, because it is. It's just something you have to prepare for and that isn't my jam at the moment.

I will pick this one back up at a later time, when I have the neurons to devote to a fantastical journey through the universe with Dali and Rhix and inter-galactic politics.
When I saw Dalí on Netgalley, I knew I had to give it a try. Netgalley has yielded me great sci-fi with fluid sexuality (Zen DiPietro’s Dragonfire Station), and some great trans sci-fi (Dreadnought, by April Daniels), so I had no qualms checking out a fluid gender story.

Dalí, the titular character is well written, as is the story. I’ve come to expect this of LGBT sci-fi. LGBT and indie writers have always had to up their game when it comes to prose. It’s not fair, but these authors are under extra scrutiny due to methodologies and/or content. While traditionally-published works can kick along with weak story because the fans will buy anything that the author and publisher put out, this is not the case in the indie world, and especially so for those that write LGBT themes.

Sci-fi, along with fantasy has the ability for us to tackle issues with humanity under the guise of other-worldness. Racism, hatred, and bigotry are topics easily broached when the characters are aliens or elves. Star Trek was a pioneer in the late 1960s, and indies continue the noble tradition today.

Dalí tackles themes of rape, depression, sex trafficking, bigotry, hatred, eugenics, polygamy, and much more. The story is rife with action. The LGBT rights topics are there, as is a commentary on modern society, but it’s not “in your face,” or preachy. No one involved in Dalí is trying to convert us. The themes are almost an undercurrent. The sci-fi, other than setting, is pretty laid back too. The author took the popcorn sci-fi methodology, and just said that this or that is, without bogging down in the details that some sci-fi authors tend to do.

Over all, Dalí is a great sci-fi read. Those that may be skittish with LGBT-themed stories should be able to get into Dalí. Fans of LGBT works will appreciate an engrossing LGBT story that’s not focused on LGBT encounters. In a world that so often incorrectly associates LGBT with erotica, Dalí is a great read because of the story, and would fall apart if Dalí weren’t gender fluid.

I enjoyed Dalí, and at a risk of over-hyping the book, highly recommend reading this 4-star sci-fi novel.
Dali by E.M. Hamill is a sci-fi adventure featuring Dali Tamareia, an empathetic, genderfluid changeling. The core of Dali’s story is about the third gender, which is neither male nor female but can change between both. Shifting their sexual organs, the timbre of their voice, and often times the changeling leans more towards male or female but Dali is different. Dali prefers the neutral.

As you read, you delve into political plots, different worlds and the views of the characters in these worlds. Dali had their flaws. After her family is torn apart in a terrorist attack, Dali spirals into risking their life. In the process they encounter a situation involving other third gender beings being kidnapped and sold on the market to the highest bidder. Dali finds themselves needing to find a way to save those who had been kidnapped and sold.
Dali meets Rhix, who even though he’s the villain, I couldn’t help but like him and understand why Dali was charmed by him. He wasn’t disgusted by Dali’s nature. He wanted to learn more. In Dali’s interactions with Rhix they reverted to the female form. It was a major point in the storyline and the scenes with the two of them were full of delicious sexual tension. I think the detail taken to explain Dali and their body, how they felt and the empathetic feelings in those moments, made those scenes quite steamy.

The only downside to this was the elaborate terminology that you had to learn. There was such a diverse cast, it got a little difficult to keep up with the different species and abilities that each had. As soon as I finished reading the novel I found the dictionary at the back. So sneak a peek at that if you are having issues with the terminology. It was a little slow in the beginning but overall I enjoyed the read. I loved not only the main characters but the secondary characters. Also the fact that there were a lot of Princess Bride references and codes use, it made it fun.