The Crow Road

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 17 Nov 2017

An anniversary edition of this book, though I hadn't read it before, I had heard of it, so obviously had to read it.

The book moves backwards and forwards in time and is bizarre at times.
It starts....
It was the day my grandmother exploded - i mean honestly how could i not carry on? What happened in The Crow Road told via different characters and family dramas.
It will make you laugh, turn green and mix you up. Nothing wrong with that.

Enjoy

The 25th Anniversary edition of The Crow Road provides an insight to Iain Banks earlier writing. I have to admit to not reading this previously, and I found it to be an interesting coming of age story of life, death, sex, drugs and everything in between.

It flicks backwards and forwards in time and has its quite bizarre moments, yet from the first line - It was the day my grandmother exploded - I realised this book was going to be different, an alternative read, one might say. What really happened in The Crow Road, when uncle Rory disappeared?

I honestly do not know why I had not picked this one up before! Admittedly this is a strange story surrounding the family and drama of...

See Full Review

I am glad I eventually got to read an Iain Banks offering.
Let’s not beat around the bush, the writing is plane and simply brilliant. The imagery is out of this world (yes, I have been mentally planning a trip to Scotland that actually involves a bit more than just seeing the larger cities, but perhaps exploring the Argyll and Bute region and even the Hebrides if we can. Oh and of course that would involve a whisky or two). Additionally, the way Banks explores and details what is often considered peripheral in nature is quite exquisite.

I do appreciate the way that Prentices struggles with finding his place in the world was portrayed, through the clichéd ‘drugs, sex, and alcohol’, but...

See Full Review

I did struggle with Crow Road. It's one of Iain Banks's earlier novels, and it shows. I did enjoy The Bridge, which came out before, but that was focussed on story - Crow Road is heavily character based, where the action is minimal, and the whodunnit doesn't really start until three-quarters of the way through, and then fizzles out as fast as it started.

My problem with this novel is the over-writing - long rambling sections, which though well written, drag on and on. Likewise, the first-person point of view is littered with throw-away "aren't I clever" lines, which eventually become tedious. By the half-way point, I found myself skimming paragraphs, and...

See Full Review
It was ok i guess. It took me absolutely ages to trawl through it because i constantly lost interest and found something better to do.
Iain Banks books are always compelling and this did not disappoint.  Another classic.
An absolute classic - Iain Banks never lets you down.
Although hard to get into, this is compelling, if you enjoy this type of fiction, There is a mystery, many complex relationships and strange occurrences. It jumps between the past and present, which makes it difficult to follow.

I didn't read all of this very long book because it didn't engage me enough to invest the time. I recognise it's appeal for those who like quirky stories and characters in a dark setting. Regarding the ethos and dark humour it reminded me a little of the TV programme, 'Six Feet Under'.

I received a copy of this  25th Anniversary book from Little, Brown Book Group UK Abacus via NetGalley in return for an honest review.
Unfortunately I've started this 5 times and just can't get into it. The writing style isn't for me but I can absolutely understand why it's popular and I'm going to buy a copy for my uncle as I'm sure he'll love it.
This is a fantastic book which shows off the amazing and sadly missed talent. Packed with humour, love hate  and despair this is worth rereading time and again.
This book has sat on my Kindle for over 3 months and I am yet to read it.  Whilst I was originally really engaged by the blurb, it's yet to make it to the top of my TBR pile and it no longer really appeals to me.  I'm really sorry and incredibly grateful for the opportunity to read and review this book though.
Fantastic to re-home read one of the absolute classics of Scottish fiction. Always a favourite.
DNF
Failed to appreciate the style of writing...I was hoping the years between first publication and the re-issue would have changed my opinion...sadly not
Why have I never read this book before? It's funny, touching and thought provoking and I read it in such a short time, I couldn't put it down. Always the mark of a good book when I annoy my husband by reading bits aloud to him!
Enjoyed this hugely.  Prentice is a great character and lends much dark amusement to this story of a rambling and not altogether family.  Dark and funny, ultimately satisfying.
Even though this is seen as a classic, I had never read it until this anniversary edition. I'm not a fan of what I call slow starting novels - this is one of them! The prose is good but I found it frustratingly boring at times, waiting for something to happen. I am glad that I read it but wouldn't read it again.
I am reviewing this book for Iain Banks, Little, Brown Book Group UK, and NetGalley who gave me a copy of their book for an honest review.
It has been many years (decades) since I have read an Iain Banks book and I wasn’t sure if I was going to get into this book but I did. I did find it a bit slow going at first but the writing is superb – the images he created in my mind were fantastic and the mystery keeps you wanting to know more.

Despite his prolific output. I've never read anything by Iain Banks, so when Netgalley provided me with a free copy with no obligation for a review, I jumped at the chance to see what all the fuss was about.

To be fair, there's a reason why I've never read any of his work. There's something about Banks that just doesn't appeal to me and it took me a while to get round to reading a long novel that I wasn't convinced was going to be my kind of thing. So it was great to be pleasantly surprised by what turned out to be a gentle thriller/mystery with a focus on characterisation rather than twisty-turny plots.

Prentice' uncle Rory has disappeared and nobody...

See Full Review
It was the day my grandmother exploded. I sat in the crematorium, listening to my Uncle Hamish quietly snoring in harmony to Bach's Mass in B Minor, and I reflected that it always seemed to be death that drew me back to Gallanach.

Fabulous stuff, what can I say about such an iconic writer-the opening is so well written it certainly makes you want to read on. A classic.
I have been reading Iain Banks for a few years now and I love him

The Crow Road ia an amazing piece of writing and it just gets better. When you read the line It was the day my Grandmother exploded. you just know it's going to be something special.

Prentice McHoan is an interesting character and this book has enough intrigue to keep you hooked.

I loved going back 25 years and this book has aged very well. Those who read this for the first time are in for a real treat