Sitting Murder

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Firstly a special thank you to A.J. Wright, Netgalley and Endeavour Press for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

An enjoyable who-dun-it murder mystery set in Victorian England with a plot that was quite simple. I have not read any of the other books in the series, I did not have to worry as it worked as a standalone.

A young bereaved widow, Alice Goodway claims she can contact the spirits since her husband was killed in a pit explosion, several people have seen her to talk to there dear departed but when threatening letters start arriving and then her Aunt is found murdered in Alice's bed, but was she the intended victim or Alice, Detective Sergeant Michael Brennan has to work out who is the murderer before more people die.Although this is the forth book in a series and I haven't read any off the others but I thought it worked fine as a standalone novel.
Whilst I have not read any of the other books in the series, I did not have to worry as it worked as a standalone.
Detective Sergeant Brennan had been asked to investigate who was behind a death threat sent to a young widow. What made her special was since her husband died, she had been communicating with the dead.
This was an enjoyable read which I read fairly quickly. Brennan being a Catholic was very sceptical about the paranormal link. However, after there was a murder, he put his own beliefs aside. Whilst there were quite a few characters, it was easy to keep track of what was going on. As more information was found out, not only did Brennan’s suspect list begin to grow, so did mine.
The atmospheric description has you feeling that you are there, walking down the foggy street, looking for a murderer. As this is historical fiction, the case has to be solved by good old fashion police work and as lately I have read mainly modern stories. It was a refreshing change to read. There were plenty of twists and red herrings to keep me guessing and the unmasking of the murderer was unexpected. A good relaxing read.
This sounded like a good premise to me at the time but now I don’t really feel like it’s a book I would read. Might revisit it at another time
Reminded me a little of an Edward Marston book in it's Victorian setting and portrayal of the policeman's role. The 'supernatural' twist added another element, but if I wanted to read an Edward Marston, I'd just read one, I don't need an imitation.
Set in Victorian times Alice Goodway’s husband is dying from a mine accident she hear’s his deathbed confession. Alice develops the gift of talking to the dead through Jack her husband. There are various people in the village who need this service due to their own sad stories. Then Jack’s aunt is murdered. She has been helping Alice with the sittings. Can one of the visitors to the sittings be suspect. You follow the investigation of Sergeant Brennan and find the plot comes with many twists and turns to keep a fan of mysteries satisfied.
The pace of the first chapters was a bit too slow but the story is worth staying with.
I was given an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Great cover and I enjoyed the mystery to be solved; however, I had a difficult time with the heavy accents. There is quite a bit of dialogue and reading through it became a bit of a chore.
Sitting Murder has been one of the best quick reads I've read this year. I loved everything about this story. It takes you back to the late 1800's England. It's a story of loss and how some deal with the fact of loss. Whether right or wrong we all have to deal with loss at one time in our lives.

This is a story of a young widowed woman and how she deals with the loss of her husband in a mining accident. After her husband is taken from her she starts being able to communicate with the dead. All of a sudden a person is murdered. And it's up to Detective Michael Brennan to figure out who could have done it.

This story has twists and turns throughout. Very well written.

This eBook was given to me by Netgalley for review.
I so love Victorian crime novels. And Sitting Murder is definitely one of my favourites.
I realized this is the fourth book ín the series after I've started reading it but I thought I give it a try anyway. And I'm glad I did.
The plot was interesting enough. Kept me guessing. DS Brennan is a capable police officer, hé has his wits about hím. Oh and I truly liked hís loyal constable, Constable Jaggery. The dialogues were believeble, easly to follow. I never would have guessed who the killer was.
I will read the other books by A.J. Write.
It was very refreshing to have a novel set in Victorian Lancashire and for the characterisations to be so apt both for the time and the setting. Brennan and Jaggery are worthy of a TV series - definitely need more from this pair of Northern heroes. Loved the storyline and how the attitudes and surroundings prevalent in this area at the time were brought to life so well. Highly recommended
A great Victorian mystery with a 'medium' angle that is finally solved by good, old-fashioned police work.
A fantastic murder mystery with all the right feels! I lived the plot, characters and twist!😍❤📚
When a young woman's husband is killed, she suddenly envokes the ability to talk to the spirits 'on the other side'. This generates a lot of attention from the town-folk, and they begin to pay her for her services. Despite some negative feedback and gossip from some of the neighbors, she continues to host seances believing herself to be providing a positive experience for friends/town folk. But when her aunt is mysteriously murdered, and threatening notes begin to appear, she also garners attention from the police force. A "who-dun-it" murder mystery ensues.

The writing style and the general feel is very Agatha Christy-like. But, despite the well written style and the interesting plot/mystery, the characters fell flat. I was unable to connect with any of the characters (there are a lot!) Without being able to form a connection, I slogged through it, and was left feeling "meh'. Two.5 stars for me.. Not a bad book, but was definitely missing some character development.
I love the cover of this book.  It really drew me to it.   I did not realize that this book was part of series until about half way thru but I did not feel like I was missing anything by not reading all three previous books.  This historical fiction based in a NOrth West English town in the 19th century.  There is a mining accident and newly married Alice loses her husband Jack. Alice becomes a medium who offers comfort to others thru her husband Jack. Jack’s aunt Doris has moved in with Alice, supervising the seances and taking payments. When Alice receives a threatening note and her aunt is murdered in her bed, Detective Sergeant Brennan of the Wigan Borough Police Department and his side kick Constable Jaggery head up  the investigation.

It is fun to read a story that involves crime solving without all of the "contemporary" scientific technology.
A whodunit Historical murder mystery.

In 1890s Alice Goodway has just lost her husband, Jack, in a mining accident and discovered the ability to speak to spirits, seeing as she is able to speak to her dead husband. .She then is persuaded by Aunt Doris to hold individual sittings for a few of the locals .When they receive an anonymous poison letter Doris calls the police.. DS Brennan doesn't know what to think of it but he's sure her abilities are fake, Before they figure out who wrote the letter things take a dark turn and ,Doris is found suffocated in her bed.

Not my typical read but this help enough mystery and suspense to keep me hooked till the end.
I received this book for free from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for a honest review.

This book is the 4th book in a series.

It is full of mystery and I enjoyed it. However, I do fell like it wasn't for me. The book was very well written and had good world building but I just could not get into it. That may be because of the somewhat ready slump I was in.
Not my cup of tea but very well written none-the-less. Very emotional and in-depth book and very descriptive.
I loved this book. It was a nice, cozy mystery. I liked the characters, the humor, and the writing style.
This is a fantastic book. I enjoyed it immensely. The way the author created the characters so I cared about them was terrific. And the twist at the end...didn’t see that coming at all.
For such a long spiel it was a very mediocre book.

It took a while to read. A very long while. It was all fog, rain, frost, dirt, poor interior design and all in all doom and gloom of provincial English town.

The whole book was like one big foggy night. A whodunit set in industrial little town with all its misfortunes, hardship and grief. A murder mixed with clarivoyancy with an added taste of religious righteousness and blind stupidity of bureaucrats.

To be honest I was surprised with how this mystery turned out and who has done it (the murder). I have to give the author the right dues. But overall, I found this story dragging, lacking and... fogging.

I would not read any other books in the series, that is for sure.
I'm incredibly sorry to dnf this book because I got my copy from Netgalley and an extra copy from the publisher so I can read it on my phone without my eyes hurting. I've read it up to page 20 something and just had to put it down. The writing is extremely hard to read (please not that my native tongue is Hungarian and even though I do speak English German Serbian and my native language I find it overly complicated in the text and it just Sucks the joy out of the 'mystery' element of the book not to mention this is the 4th book in a series. I'm sure for the right targeted group of people who are USED to read old languages it must be immense fun but for me it was just torture and I dont feel like giving this book a bad rating just because it isnt for me.