Give Me Your Hand

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 11 Jul 2019

How do you go through life knowing that no matter what you accomplish you’ll always be second best. This is what Kit has dealt with since meeting Diane. Diane is no angel, but has somehow convinced society she is the smartest and most reliable person in science right behind the genius Dr. Severin. However, Diane has a dark secret that only Kit knows. Now when Kit is once again running against Diane in her profession, she has some hard choices to make. This book is one twist after another. I could not put it down!
Give me your hand by Megan Abbott, psychological thriller, weaves an intricate pattern with the past and present twisting who you can trust into a complex maze to challenge the sleuth in the reader.
While I usually enjoy Megan Abbott's books, this one didn't do it for me. I found it to be a slow read--it wasn't holding my interest. I also thought the plotline was a bit unrealistic, which may have played into the difficulty I had in finishing the book. The main characters were not particularly likeable and I found myself not really caring what happened to them. I much prefer her earlier works.
This is a super fast paced read. So many time I asked myself "what the hell just happened". I loved not knowing what would happen next. The author also does a great job at switching from past to present, only giving a little of the story away each time, you will truly not know the full explanation of what happened until the very very end, this created such good suspense. Highly Highly Recommend.
This book was quite captivating—it was a challenge to put it down! It kept me on my toes and constantly guessing what might happen next. There were several unexpected twists and turns. If you are a fan of this author, you will love this book!
It is the personal secrets, both the secrets we tell and the secrets we keep, that fuel Megan Abbott’s latest novel, Give Me Your Hand. Kit is a rising star in her hard-earned career as a postdoc researcher in Dr. Severin’s lab, a scientist whom she has looked up to since she was a teenager. Yet everything becomes a lot more tenuous when a former friend and rival is hired at the lab with the assumption that the latter will be awarded one of the two coveted spots on Dr. Severin’s upcoming and well-funded project. The recent hire isn’t any ordinary competition, she is Kit’s high school friend Diane Fleming, who revealed a dark and devastating secret to her when they were younger.

Up until Diane’s arrival, Kit’s life has been routine and consumed by work: early mornings before her colleagues arrive at the lab and the last one out at the end of the day. But with her, Diane brings a destructive secret, one that so burdens Kit that she doesn’t initially reveal their past friendship to the other researchers. She is haunted by it, almost bubbling over, ready to tell the secret at any chance. When a horrifying incident in the lab stuns Kit, leaving her unable to act rationally, she becomes wrapped up once again with Diane, who now has a secret on Kit.

Abbott is slyly adept at exponentially building tension. The novel is from Kit’s point of view, both now and then, with the then being her time in high school and summer camp with Diane. The past informs the future and the temporarily unknown finally bursts through as the reader waits for all the secrets to pour out in one satisfying flood. Abbott satisfies the desire for suspense, and, like her previous novels, the author masterfully delves into the complicated relationships between women and girls. Give Me Your Hand is all-around gratifying and another addition to Abbott’s already stellar oeuvre.
I love Megan Abbott and I was thrilled to get the chance to read more of her and she didn't let me down! This was another well written suspense novel and the cover art grabs you. Spectacular job all around.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for and honest review.
Enjoyed this book. Kept me interested all the way through. Would recommend to a fellow reader.  Love the cover.
I really enjoyed the Then and Now timeline in this book. It helps get you invested in the characters without revealing to much.

Abbott gives you a little bit of friendship and secrets in this book Abbott is able to give you atmosphere and make it look effortless!

This is a tale of female empowerment gone a little off the rails. Abbott really knows how to develop female relationships. They may be a bit crazy but she gets all of the nuances just right.

I wish I had known this was based on a true story. I literally went down a rabbit hole when I found out.
My second Megan Abbott book and it is just as dark and cruel as the last. Abbott has a very distinctive writing style: it's almost as if she's vivisecting her characters with her words. There is a careful, sharp, ruthlessness to her prose.
I am sorry for not reviewing fully but I don’t have the time to read this at the moment. I believe that it wouldn't benefit you as a publisher or your book if I only skimmed it and wrote a rushed review. Again, I am sorry for not fully reviewing!
This isn't necessarily a bad book, it just wasn't for me. The friendship was laid out wonderfully, the secrets revealed felt meh however. Perhaps you'll enjoy it more than I.
"My mom always said, 'You don't have a self until you have a secret.'" I almost didn't finish this one. And I almost wish that I hadn't. Even that quoted tagline isn't that intriguing. This is one of those books that I am certain I will have forgotten all about by the end of the year....or maybe the end of the month. I just didn't care about any of the characters. Not one. Didn't care about Alex. And once I knew Diane and Kit's "secrets," nothing else was all that interesting. The thing is, several other book friends were unimpressed by this book (even some who are big fans of the author), so I almost passed on it. Maybe I should have.
All in all, I could review this book in one word:
Meh.
Give Me Your Hand by Megan Abbott is a reminder of the sheer talent and originality of storytelling that Abbott possesses. It is also a reminder that this is one of the more prolific writers going today and she simply refuses to allow anyone to box her into any one genre. This is a thriller and a drama and the creepiness factor just slides under your skin, tingling and bubbling until you're aware that scratching at it won't do enough. No you need to peel the layer of skin away and get to the blood underneath.

"...I haven't had any time. And I've never even suffered from cramps, but since I'm the only woman other than Dr. Severin (and we never talk about it in front of her), I'm supposed to know more, know differently, know something about the purple marrow of female rage. The fear all men have that there's something inside us that shifts, and turns. A living thing, once dormant, stirring now, and filled with rage..."

Premenstrual dysphoric disorder or PMDD as it is more commonly referred to is the subject of Dr. Severin's study. The researchers know that their work will change how everyone views this disorder. Often mocked and called Hatchet PMS or the Medusa Menses, it is rarely considered a serious subject. Until of course, it is too late and blood is spilled. It is a career changing study and those chosen to participate in the study will become famous in their fields.

Kit is the only other woman besides Dr. Severin, on the team. She has risen to the top of her field and is on the brink of having everything she ever wanted. That is, until someone new is introduced to the team. Someone Kit knows all too well.

Kit and Diane Fleming were best friends as teenagers. Their ambitions and drive made them inseparable, that is, until the day Diane shared a secret with Kit. A secret that drove the young women apart. A secret Kit has kept to this day. But now Diane is back and the secrets that once drove them apart, has fused them back together.

"...You do something bad, ' she says. 'Very bad. You can't even really believe you did it. You wait for your punishment for a long time. You expect it. You wait every day.'

She looks down at her hands, then up again. From the hallway, I can hear the elevator's ding. Its doors open and shut.

'But then nothing happens. Your life continues. Except you're not a part of it, really. Your life. You go forward, you have experiences. But they don't touch you. You're watching them from the outside. It's like you're a ghost haunting your own life..."

This novel is a horror thriller with a level of suspense that will remind the reader such classics as Rosemary's Baby. Abbott builds the tension with vignettes of the past the two women share and with the undertone of the study that hints at the danger and violence to come. You almost feel sorry for the men who work near them, with no sense of the impending blood lust that is just around the corner.

Megan Abbott crafts a tale of regret and fear and a sense that the monster is not waiting to reach out from under the bed. No, the monster is inside of us all along.

A hell of a good read!
Cunning and clever. Kit meets Diana at school, both runners, both work harder than anyone else, both want to win the scholarship sponsored by the reknown Dr. Severin. Only one, however, will win this prize. A secret is a secret only when the one with the secret never tells. Diane has a big secret, one she tells Kit, who she considers her friend, but friends can so easily become rivals, when both want the same thing.

Years pass, Kit works with Dr. Severin in her lab on a study of female menses, when she is unexpectedly united with Diana once again. When I read thrillers I am sometimes entertained, sometimes incredulous, but Im not often made to think about how the story was assembled and what it is meant to represent. Abbott writes about strong females, women at the top of their game, but inside they are anything but strong. Here she shows us the cut throat, claustrophobic feeling of the scientific lab. Where there is room for only a few in the important studies, the prestigious ones, and what people will do to get to the top. On the surface Diana and Kit are alike but underneath they are very different. Or are they? One knows who she is, the other makes excuses for the way she acts, but who is to say what she is actually capable of doing. She is not exactly innocent, has betrayed before, swinging things in her favor.

As I was reading this I kept thinking of the book Columbine and one thing said in the book has always stayed with me. That without Eric, Danny would never have been a killer. I was surprised therefore, when something like that was written here.

"The world is a fiction the brain constructs. The smell of a fresh peach, the punch of a Firefly in the night sky. The lilting hush hush of a lullaby. The brain fashions it all and we don't know how or why.

So how could I know about myself, what I am, what Diane is or was before.
What Diane and I are together that we might never have been alone."

There is so much going on here under the surface, so much symbolism. Not an ordinary thriller by any means, but a thriller by a clever author at the top of her game.
Great thriller with page turning suspense. This book did not disappoint. Loved it. #goodread #thriller #pageturner Will let my customers know about it.
I love any book by Megan Abbott anyway, but this one in particular. I found the story very engaging and binge-worthy! Read it in a day.
While this wasn't my favorite Megan Abbott book, it was still an enjoyable ride. As a friend mentioned, the story here bore a close resemblance to the true story of Marie Robards, who poisoned her father at 16 years old. However, regardless of whether or not Abbott drew inspiration for Give Me Your Hand from this tale, it is left unaccredited.
It was just okay.  It really isn't a genre I read much so I have little to compare it to however I had read: You will know me, so I figured I would give this one a shot.
Megan Abbott is at the top of the thriller authors and I enjoy everything she writes.
this book was no exception.  very fast paced and enjoyable