Her Best Friend

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 08 Jan 2018

Victoria and Sylvie were best friends, most of their life so when she turns up in the lake having been up there on the early hours the night of a family party – it effects not only Sylvie but the community in which the girls live and mostly their families. Sylvie hasnt been back for a long long time, having severed ties with her mother so is shocked to discover she has left her house to her.

Overwhelmed with grief as she returns to the family home, she is shocked not only with the home but with the fact a gold heart locket has turned up, and this is the locket that belonged to Victoria and someone out their knows what actually happened to her.

Whilst Sylvie is struggling to deal with all this and look after her baby who just doesnt seem to settle, we meet Sam a freelance journalist who since loosing his actual job he has decided to put his time and effort into making documentaries after the surge in popularity of true crime (making a murderer im looking at you!)

With that, he starts of with visiting the Lake and meeting with Victorias family and essentially following “links” like a detective would. With people offering up the vaguest advice and suggestions, he is starting to hit a dead end. Meanwhile things are building up for Sylvie.

Her best friend was a gripping page turner with an unexpected outcome, whilst in parts I found bits preditiable and I felt sometimes characters were introduced just because however as I started to discover them I felt they all served a purpose. Sylvie was an interesting character to get to know. I really struggled to work her out and I enjoyed learning about her. I also found that we learnt about Victoria (not the baby) as it all unfolded.

The narrative is told over different time frames, the past and present and it leads up to “that day” I stayed up well into the night to finish this because I couldnt wait another day to finish reading it. I know that it is a sure fire hit if I stay up past bedtime to finish a book because lets be honest, I love sleep.

Her Best Friend is a gripping thriller which leads the reader all over and finishes with a bang. I would totally recommend this to everyone, I was not expecting it to be anywhere near as good as it was.
Mainly in the third person point of view with chapters that cover a podcast series by journalist Karen Price who is conducting her own investigation into Victoria's death it gives a fairly unique spin, this is a very slow burner that I struggled to finish.
I really wanted to like this book, but for a psychological thriller, it had an extremely dull beginning.

The first, second and third chapter were so dull that I ultimately ended up giving up on the book.

I wish it had been faster paced.
Her Best Friend by Sarah Wray is another thriller.  When Sylive's best friend, Victoria, is brutally murdered when they're teenagers, the killer remains uncut and Sylvie refuses to talk about what happened that fateful day.  When Sylive's mother passes away, she is forced to return to the town that holds so much secrets.  3 stars
This book was good and I liked this style of writing, but I did find the pacing a little slow and I wasn't completely drawn into the story until probably about 55-60%.  The ending was very predictable and it seemed to lack the twists and turns of a really good thriller.
Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC ecopy for my Kindle.
This book is a mystery/suspense thriller novel. Even though it's about teenage friends and then later young adults, anyone who enjoys this genre will like this book. It's not only about best friends, but secrets that are kept to protect one's family.
This is the first book that I have read by this author, and I intend to read more.
I like the dark tone of this book to an extent. I like the mystery of this book to an extent. I did not like the execution o this story though. It lagged and dragged and it just did not hit the mark for me. I enjoyed the mystery of murders in village and the implication that a killer was on the loose, but I think that storyline could have been a much more thrilling experience. I kept reading Her Best Friend hoping that maybe the next chapter would be more exciting or even more suspenseful at least, but what I was looking for never really came. I was a little disappointed, but the blurb is intriguing.
Usually I like books like that - unreliable narrator, different POVs, mystery from the past, few creepers and stalkers. But this time... oh wow, that was BORING.
The story drags on and on and on and on... Nothing happens until like 70% of the book.
The protagonist - Sylvie -is not unlikable but she's not likable either.. she's just nothing. Her story is not engaging enough. Actually it's quite boring and it makes the reader  not care what happens to her, what happens to her baby and what happened to Victoria all those years ago.

The dialogues are mostly cringe and fake sounding.
Also, you do not remember what happened on a specific day 20 years ago almost minute by minute. You just don't. And that made the whole "investigation" unbelieveable.
"Oh on this day 20 years ago I went for a walk aroud the lake. I left home at 4:30 and came back at 7:03. I remember exactly, because it was unusually warm for this time of year.
SAID NO ONE EVER!
For me this book dragged out.  The narrator Sylvie seemed to be dull and depressed, and I found the novel dragged.

Couldn't connect to the characters and I worked it out to quickly.

Sorry cannot recommend.
Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and the author for the opportunity to read this book in return for my honest opinion.

This was an enjoyable book!  Lots of twists and turns. Great storyline and loved all the plot twists.  Sylvie was a great character,  I really felt for her with all her fears and struggles.  Coming back home after 20 years was hard enough but to have to still face the death of her childhood best friend, and wonder if the crime will ever be solved and then she is thrown into the mystery and wondering if she is next.  I liked this book right from page one all the way to the surprising and exciting ending.  It was a quick read, I could not wait to get to the ending.

Definitely will be checking out more from this author.
I took this book just after finishing Sarah's previous book, and did not know what to expect.  What I did not expect to find was a thrilling read, that kept me glued to my reader, and the reveal of how and where Victoria really died, was really an eye-opener! I did not expect it, and it was well done! Well written and recommended.
This was an ok thriller. It's about Sylvie's return to the village she left 20 years ago. Victoria, her best friend had been murdered and her dad had recently died. Victoria's murderer had never been caught. Sylvie and her baby are back to clear out her mother's house. I found the book dark and depressing . The village was run down and the villagers menacing. Sylvie herself was very unhappy.
I found this book quite slow paced and the build up long and slow that it actually took me a while to read it. That being said, I'm sure this is a story that a lot of other people will really enjoy. For me, there just wasn't enough twists or suspense to grip me.
Teenagers, Sylvie and Victoria are best friends until tragedy strikes and Victoria is murdered.  No one is ever charged with the crime.  Twenty years later Sylvie is back in her hometown to sort out her mother’s affairs after her death - it isn’t a happy homecoming.  A very slow burner with characters it’s hard to find a connection with.  Sylvie is wishy washy now as she was  twenty years ago when she was 15, always a follower, never the leader.  There are descriptions of mundane activities, one or two surprises, enough to keep on reading.  A great sounding book which didn’t quite hit the spot for me this time.
I received an arc copy of this book from Net Galley in exchange for my honest opinion of it. I just could not get into this book. Very confusing going from the past to present and boring.
I tried a few times to start reading this book, but unfortunately couldn't get into the book.
The book started out a bit slow, but as I read, I began to be drawn further and further into this web Sarah Wray had spun. This actually became a book I could not stop reading, and I had to read the whole book in one setting! I really enjoyed this one, and the ending was totally unexpected. The author has a way with words, and she was able to drag me into this lake with Victoria! I am a bit new to British idiosyncrasies, so it took me a bit to get into the tale, but halfway through the book, I forgot all about the oddities of the language, and just focused on the story line. I look forward to reading more from this author! Thank you for the pleasure of your writing!
Overwhelmed by grief after losing her mother, Sylvie Armstrong tries to block out the memories in her childhood home – but then someone leaves a gift on her doorstep: a gold necklace with a heart-shaped locket. The locket belonged to Sylvie’s best friend, Victoria Preston – and she was wearing it the night she died. Now it’s back in Sylvie’s life... and it soon becomes clear that somebody knows what really happened to Victoria. Sylvie has to know the truth. But is she in terrible danger?
The best thing about this book is the twist at the end. At the final reveal I was still in two minds over what might have happened. There are quite a few characters in this book, some work well, some not so much, but all provide subtle clues about the truth. The only one I failed to connect with was the film maker, Sam. His role was to attempt to find the truth, but I found him a bit lacking in empathy somehow. This was a great psychological read and kept me guessing until the end.
Sylvie has not been back to her home town of Conley since her best friend Victoria was murdered, until her mother’s death. With her newborn daughter in tow she begins to clear her mum’s house out.  She runs into Victoria’s parents who tell her there’s a documentary being made trying to shine some light on Victoria’s murderer.

What really happened to Victoria that night?

The story is told from Sylvie and Sam’s view points, with chapter interspersed with flashbacks from 1995.  I think this is third book I’ve read lately that has some aspect of ‘true crime’ in it.  Sam, a former journalist, is looking for Victoria’s murderer and making a documentary in the process.  It’s classic amateur detective trying to solve a murder stuff, I didn’t really get a psychological thriller vibe from it although it’s still an enjoyable read.

The characters were well rounded and individual from Sylvie, the neurotic new mum, to her old friend Michelle who was a little weird and creepy at times.

I really enjoyed the flashbacks.  I liked getting to know a young Sylvie and Victoria who frankly was not that nice a person, but she really reminded me of girls from when I was a teenager.

Unfortunately even though the story started off so promising, the ending fell a bit flat and predictable.
Thanks Netgalley and the Publisher.  I really liked this book but seem to have read similar books from different authors so was all so so for me.