Plum Dandi Knits

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 12 Jan 2018

Beautiful book with lovely pictures of every design.  The patterns look clear and fairly easy to follow.  However be warned, they are American.  I have only done some brief research but I don't think the yarns are available here in the UK so it would have to be an alternative with a similar weight and tension.  I haven't actually knitted anything yet, but have been put off the cardigan as it is knit in one round with at one point 425 stitched per round!  A shame as it looks really lovely.  Some of the smaller projects look a bit more appealing though.
My review: Gorgeous collection of snuggly warm patterns. The photography is wonderful, the patterns look clear, and I have almost all of them in my knitting queue to try. There are also handy hints at the back of the book with drawings for different cast-ons and other techniques. Highly recommended.

***Disclaimer: This e-ARC was provided to me by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Huge thanks to them. ***

My rating: 5/5
All of the patterns in this book are classy and timeless. I saw several that made me want to jump up and run to my yarn stash!  I appreciated that every pattern had several pictures to accompany it from every angle. Most importantly, every pattern was well and clearly written. A majority of the patterns were for intermediate knitters with a few patterns for advanced beginners. I definitely recommend this book to all my fellow knitters.
This book has really beautiful pictures. The patterns are gorgeous and for the most part not to hard. There are shawls, sweaters, hats. A very good variety of skills and designs. For the most part they are warm weather items. The patterns are well written and concise.

I don't normally review knitting books that I have never knit from, but saw this one & thought I would check it out. It has quite a range of knitting items that already have given me several ideas of things to knit. You have leg warmers, cardigans, cowls, socks, shawls, finger-less mitts (you can never have enough of those), headbands, sweaters, scarves, etc. The patterns are easy to understand & the charts are simple to follow. I wouldn't put these patterns for a complete beginner but I think if you know the basics you would be able to make any of these patterns. The only thing I would have liked to see would have been a few more plus size items, but I am not disappointed...

See Full Review

Beautiful patterns, great instructions both in writing and with "picture" descriptions so that everything is covered.

This is defiantly not a beginner knitter book, so if you see this and want something to learn? Not the right book.

For everyone else however? Its perfect, because you will find something to knit from in here!

It has hats to leg warmers and everything in between!

Of course the yarn that is actually used in this book is quiet luxurious - huge surprise with the subtitle!- but i think that it shouldn't be any problem switching to a different yarn you personally prefer, or can afford easier!

I do have to say that i felt like i can feel the quality of the...

See Full Review
If you are looking for knitting patterns for hats, gloves, leg warmers or shawls, this book has some pretty examples.  The instructions are easy to follow and illustrations for the pattern and also stitches (in glossary) are helpful.  I wish there would be more variety in the patterns, and maybe a few more patterns (in lieu of so many photos of each one).
Plum Dandi Knits: Simple Designs for Luxury Yarns by Alicia Plummer and Melissa Schaschwary is a lovely book filled with cozy designs in luxury yarns, featuring simple garter and stockinette stitches suited to even the new knitter, through complicated lace and cables to challenge the more accomplished.

The designs are all very classic styles and include hats, mittens, socks, legwarmers, sweaters, cardigans and shawls. Choose something to suit any female friend or family member, or even create an entire wardrobe of knitted garments for yourself.

My thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing a digital review copy.
The patterns in this book are quite nice, if a bit uninspiring.  There’s too much of the sexy model who happens to be wearing a knit item about the illustrations.  Some of the photos don’t even show the garment very well.  Not a book I would have purchased.

I very much liked this book. There is a good selection of patterns at varying skill levels and the photography really gives the collection a timeless look. All the patterns are photographed in cozy, natural settings that make you want to curl up and grab your needles. The patterns are all made in neutrals, so I can see them having a great appeal across different tastes. It will be interesting to see how customers' Ravelry projects vary in color and styling. I've added at least 2 patterns from this book to my Ravelry queue, the Stowe hat and the Cape Elizabeth. The pattern font is easy to scan and pattern sections are clearly marked and spaced, making it easy to return to...

See Full Review
This is a lovely book with a wide range of simple, versatile patterns designed to show off the yarn and be easy to wear. Patterns are written clearly, with both charts and written instructions, and all terms are defined. This is a pattern collection any fiber snob would want in their library.
This is a good solid book of very classical designs that will last for years. The instructions are really easy to follow and the book is beautifully laid out.. There are no hunting for the specific brand of wool, but maybe some time spent matching the blend to make it your own  (although there is a list at the back of the book of where to source the wool). I really found this book very inspiring and the designs to suit any age group - well worth the time spend on a garment that will fit in now for years to come.
What a treat to see a book this full of projects including leg warmers, socks, shawls, sweaters, mitts, fingerless gloves and more. The Prescott shawl is definitely on my list. Great photography and good explanation of patterns.
Plum Dandi Knits is a beautiful collection of knitting projects. As an avid knitter, I found the this book to be very enticing, with many interesting techniques that are stylish and wearable. I really liked the variety of projects, from sweaters to smaller accessories, such as headbands, fingerless gloves, and shawls.  I would definitely cast on quite a few of the projects.  I would classify the patterns as simple elegance.  This book would make a wonderful gift for the knitter in your life.  I know I'd be pleased to receive it.
A lovely new addition to modern knitting book collectors. Gorgeous patterns with cables, lacework, modern twists on a traditional craft.

I’m a knittter and I’m excited to find this book, I am sure other knitters will be too. Having already used Alicia Plummer patterns on Ravelry,  I totally encourage readers to try out the patterns.

Great illustrations and clear instructions with charts too.  Grab your yarn and needles, there are hats, leg  socks , sweaters, leg warmers and more to tempt you.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to read and review this book.

I really wanted to LOVE this book. However, I found it to be a solidly average book.

Let’s start with the flawed presentation. When choosing patterns, I like to be able to see detailed pictures from several angles to really get a feel for the piece. The photos here were very model-focused with few close-ups of each item. This does not help persuade me to knit an item. If I can’t see enough detail, I will move on to other projects where I am able to see this.

There were just a couple patterns that I really didn’t like. The Exeter “mitts” (as they refer to them, I call them fingerless gloves) were a bit boring and I thought the wrist section was too short to keep wrists warm. Also, the...

See Full Review
These patterns and designs are above my skill level, for the most part. Boy, the beautiful photos and enticing descriptions sure makes me wish I could knit more of them! (And live the life the models appear to be living.) But I did find a few small projects in here that I've got in my queue now, and maybe someday, I'll be able to knit more of them. Gorgeous book.
As an experienced knitter I have to say that there was not one pattern that I felt moved to make.  However, I must add that living in a warm climate I might be a tad unfair saying this as many of the patterns were clearly for colder climates.  However, I didn't think the presentation was of the standard that I have grown accustomed to regarding Interweave knits.  I also felt that many of the patterns (or similar) are available free of charge online.
Simple and approachable designs are the focus of this knitting collection, centered on mindful knitting and a thoughtful approach.  The photography of this book does not reflect that at all, with heavily made up models who look like they'd never set foot in the woods.  The incongruity of the photography was very distracting, and I would much rather have seen these natural and simple knitted garments in a natural setting than on displaced models.  For larger knitting collections only, as this offers little that is truly original, and isn't the eye candy contained in better photographed collections.
Plum Dandi Knits is a compilation of easy to medium difficulty knitted items that you would imagine seeing around a fire on a snowy evening. The most difficult skill needed is keeping track of multiple cables at a time. The pictures are gorgeous, with mostly natural colors of tan, gray, and white. If you're looking for a quick sweater of bulky yarn that doesn't look bulky while wearing, there is a pattern in this book for you.