The Mayflower Bride

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 May 2018

Faith, hunger, hardship, sickness, loss, and grief are strong threads through this story, though they failed to engage me as a reader. The mixing of the fictional leads, however, with the historical figures was well done. I found I quite liked the portrayals of Miles Standish, John Alden, and especially Priscilla Mullins. The fictional characters did not fare so well and I found I had little sympathy or liking for them.

As a draft, this would be fine, though in need of some work to give the story a good flow, enrich the descriptions, provide stronger motivations and make the dialogue more natural while making it have more of a feel for the actual speech, values, and behavior of the...

See Full Review

To be completely honest, I’m not usually a huge fan of colonial-period romance. There’s always a lot of death involved, or if there’s not, the story isn’t very accurate. As such, I was really dragging my feet to start on this one. Well, boy I regretted that!

Instead of struggling to get through it, I struggled to put it down. Kimberley Woodhouse weaves an engaging tale of early colonists learning about love, strength, courage, and God’s power in the darkness. The story is well researched, detailed without being weighty, and historically accurate enough that this layman found little to no problems. Unlike many colonial period novels, I found The Mayflower Bride to be extremely readable and...

See Full Review
This story is too predictable. Boy meets girl, many troubles happen, boy and girl fall in love, and get married. The historical aspect of the novel caught my attention, but I was disappointed in the modern influences entering in to a 400 year old account.

If you interest is in Christianized romances, this book is for you. If you want a solid historical novel, look elsewhere.

Sadly, this is a book that did not live up to the great hype that preceded it. I am usually a fan of prologues and glossaries and such in the front of a book, but I thought this book was never going to start. There was just too much extraneous information, and I was tired before it began.

Mary Elizabeth Chapman,17, travels across the ocean with her father and her younger brother, David. She is fortunate enough to have her good friend, Dorothy along on the adventure as well.

Mary Elizabeth finds herself attracted to William Lytton, well-known for his carpentry skills. Unfortunately, Lytton is a Stranger. Thus we have a romance with obstacles.

Many trials await the Mayflower travelers...

See Full Review

So…let me just start this off with saying that I think I fell in love with William Lytton. Why don’t they make men like that anymore? William is a man who knows how to treat a lady: chivalrous, prays with Mary Elizabeth (sighs), spends time with her little brother, attempts to speak with her father, and most importantly, would do anything for the girl he loves. Not only all of those glorious things, but he is also handy and honest…the complete opposite of most men these days.

We are persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but we perish not.

Now, onto the story, the Separatists, originally from England and now living in Holland, are looking to adventure into the New World after facing...

See Full Review
A great book with loads of twists and turns, must read
I love the cover of this book. I fell in love with it before I read it.
I enjoyed the story setting quite well.
The characters had a lot going for them, but the angst fell a little flat for me. I wished that there would have been a bit more closer at the end, but it was a good light read, a nice one for spring break.

The details that were pretty incredible, with the historical details of the Mayflower, the Speedwell, and the burials at sea. I did feel as though I was rocking and swaying to the swells of the waves as I read.
This is my first book by this author. I was impressed by the historical accuracy and attention to the true events surrounding the mayflower voyage. I just recently read a non-fiction account of this harrowing tale and it was interesting how the author wove so many facts into a fictional tale.
That being said, the only reason that I have it this rating is because the type of writing appears to be more geared to a YA audience. I usually avoid this type of style, because it is personally not my taste. But I would recomend it to anyone who enjoys YA historicals.
Delightful historical fiction.  Although the main characters were fictional, the story was based on historically accurate research.  It really helped me understand what passengers of the Mayflower endured (I have an ancestor of the Mayflower passenger list.)  It should make all Americans grateful for what those who went before have done.

Mary Chapman boards the Speedwell in 1620 as a Separatist seeking a better life in the New World. William Lytton embarks on the Mayflower as a carpenter looking for opportunities to succeed—and he may have found one when a man from the Virginia Company offers William a hefty sum to keep a stealth eye on company interests in the new colony. The season is far too late for good sailing and storms rage, but reaching land is no better as food is scarce and the people are weak. Will Mary survive to face the spring planting and unknown natives? Will William be branded a traitor and expelled?

If you love history and are fascinated with true to life stories, here's a book for you. Well written...

See Full Review

The lovely cover is what drew me first to this novel. Then when I saw it was a series starting with the crossing of the Mayflower, be still my historical loving heart!

The author does a fabulous job of setting up the story in the introductory comments to the reader. Likewise, the afterward provides additional details about what was Fiction and which parts were fact in the afterward. I especially loved reading about some famous descendants from those that sailed and survived the crossing of the Mayflower.

I think it was the introductory comments to the reader that set my expectations high for the level of historical detail about to unfold in the pages. While the novel included...

See Full Review

The Mayflower Bride by Kimberly Woodhouse is the first in a new series, Daughters of the Mayflower, that will transport readers through pivotal periods in U.S. history. I am interested to see if the next book will feature descendants of the characters in the first book. Mary Elizabeth Chapman belongs to the religious group, the Separatists, who are journeying to the New World in the hopes of religious freedom. William Lytton seeks to build a new life as a carpenter in the New World and put his past behind him. The two meet, and it is a case of instant attraction. However, their beliefs and backgrounds put them at odds. Will love truimph all? Can they find a way to love one another...

See Full Review
Absolutely loved the book! So excited for all the books to read!!

Author Kimberley Woodhouse is the first author to offer a story in the new series Daughters of the Mayflower , and she does not disappoint as she takes us on a journey across the ocean, on board the Mayflower.

While many characters in the book were actual passengers aboard the Mayflower, our main characters of Mary Elizabeth Chapman and William Lytton, were not. But the author has done an excellent job of making their story and the lives of those on board the Mayflower, come alive.

One of the reasons I love historical fiction so much is because I know authors like Woodhouse will put in the effort to make it as historically accurate as possible. And so I learn things I never knew before...

See Full Review
I love to read historical fiction based on real life events. When I saw this book, I knew it was for me. This is the story of the Separatist's journey to the new world. They traveled aboard The Mayflower seeking religious freedom in the new settlement called Plymouth. This story centers around Mary Elizabeth and William, two young people, making this perilous journey. The author does a good job of writing about all of the tragic events these settlers faced-the boat leaking, storms, sickness, etc. It includes lots of history, and I enjoyed the authors notes at the end about what was fact and what was fiction. I look forward to reading more books in this series!
In this very well-researched historical novel. Woodhouse provides a very real feel for the suffering, privation, and sacrifice of the Mayflower pilgrims. As true Separatists, the characters think Christianly and speak Biblically; a strong Christian presence pervades the novel. But it is, after all, a love story, and true to the genre of Christian love stories, it is predictable and rather preachy. Nevertheless. it is what it is. Readers of historical fiction would enjoy this tale, as I did, for what it is: a wholesome Christian love story set in troubled times. The Mayflower Bride would be a suitable read for the young adult crowd, ages 12 and up.
Like the book tell a stories about the hardships the people endured to come here.  Many interesting facts, and how Natives did help.
An expertly researched look into a time period rarely explored in CBA fiction and the worthy first bookend to Barbour's new (and ambitious) span through American history.

No one can doubt the author's research nor the attention to detail. I, did, however think there were some limitations in the pairing of historical authenticity with the dialogue and world created. I must, however, assume that this was to create a sense of accessibility for the modern reader while sparking their interest into a little-explored tenet of American history.

3.5

Definitely woven by a talented and competent voice.

Review copy provided by netgalley.

I am always looking for exceptional historical fiction in time periods that I have read about previously so The Mayflower Bride by Kimberley Woodhouse caught my eye. I was not disappointed. This is the story of the Saints and the Separatist that came over on the Mayflower to start a colony in the New World. It centers on the fictional Chapman family and the trials and tribulations they suffered on the journey. It highlights how everyone lived on board the ship and the difficulties that had to be overcome. Although the Chapman family is fictional, the book is based on historical people and events.

What I enjoyed about this book was the tremendous amount of historical facts that are...