The Mayflower Bride

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 May 2018

This book wasn't bad, by any means, but it wasn't a good fit for me. I found the characters shallow and important plot points rushed over. The early historical setting wasn't my favorite, but that's a personal  choice. While I've been wanting to read more romance, historical christian romance isn't my jam.
Kimberley Woodhouse did an amazing job of penning this intense, moving, hard-working, and tear bringing book. To set the imagination of what these people faced while crossing the great, deep, dark ocean in search of being able to live in freedom for their faith.  The times of sea storms, sicknesses, and death, she's included it all. As we study American History in school this year, I felt that this book was right on time and a great read gearing us up for our year of study ahead. I really look forward to continuing this series as new books come out!

I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Kimberley Woodhouse in a new author to me and one I will be looking for again. I enjoy historical fiction that is well researched, in that,  The Mayflower Bride exceeded my expectations.The book began with an extensive list of characters designated as factual or fictional and a glossary of terms that I did refer to more than once during my reading.

The story begins as Mary Elizabeth Chapman and her best friend Dorothy Raynsford are eavesdropping on a meeting of Separatist elders as they planned their voyage to the New World. Dorothy was excited for the adventure while Mary Elizabeth was terrified by the unknown and all the risks it involved.

The journey was more harrowing than anyone had imagined. The author did a great job of portraying the sickness aboard the Mayflower, the endless days and nights of struggle and heartbreak of so many lives lost in the hope of finding freedom. During this journey as Mary Elizabeth tends to the needs of many sick and dying friends, including her own father and her best friend, she finds strength and courage she had not known she possessed.

William Lytton, an orphaned Stranger, gained passage on the Mayflower looking for a chance to prove his worth as a carpenter. Before he sets sail the Virginia Company hirers William to keep an accurate accounting of the journey to protect their interests. William was pleased they had placed their trust in him and is faithful in his record keeping.

During the arduous journey, William begins to seek the faith and peace the Separatists display and wonders if he would be found worthy of the brown eyed beauty who nurses the sick.

My emotions went from high to low and back again as read this book. I thought the Mayflower would never reach land and then when it did, I wondered if anyone would live to start the colony, in other words, I felt very much a part of this journey.

I will not give away the delightful ending.

Very well done, Kimberley Woodhouse!

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Publishing and was under no obligation to post a review. This is my own honest opinion.
I obtained a free copy via NetGalley for a true and honest opinion.

Mary Elizabeth Chapman boards the Speedwell in 1620 as a Separatist seeking a better life in the New World. William Lytton embarks on the Mayflower as a carpenter looking for opportunities to succeed—and he may have found one when a man from the Virginia Company offers William a hefty sum to keep a stealth eye on company interests in the new colony.

I think this book would be suitable for those who have a will interest in historical fiction based on those who journey to America to the New World.
I am voluntarily submitting my honest review after receiving a copy of this ebook via NetGalley.

In this first installment of the Daughters of the Mayflower series, Kimberley Woodhouse introduces us to Mary Elizabeth Chapman, a young woman emigrating to the American colonies with her family in search of a better life. On board, she falls in love with carpenter William Lytton, and together they face the many perils in their late-season arrival in the New World. This book did not hold my interest well. The pace was too slow, and the high volume of religious content made the book too preachy for my taste. At times, this book reads more like a sermon than a novel. In addition, the writing style suggests to me that young adult readers might be a more appropriate audience for this book. While I didn't particularly enjoy this book, I will read the next book in the series because having different authors write each installment is an intriguing idea.
Very good historical read.  Felt as if I was on the Mayflower with the passengers.  Good representation of what life would have been like crossing the Atlanta!
I started this book, then had to stop and start again. It’s a book filled with historical details about the Mayflower journey and the beginnings of Plymouth. I found that very interesting. The story itself was a little slow moving for my preference. But I would recommend it. History lovers will enjoy it and the romance is very light. It’s also the beginning of a series of books that can be standalone, but are connected through ancestry. I look forward to continuing the series. And I enjoyed learning the details about the Mayflower. I received a copy of this book from NetGalley and also purchased a copy from a retailer. All views expressed here are my own.
3 stars- When I heard about this new series I was very interested in checking it out. I was excited to read the first book and learn more about the Mayflower and the Pilgrims. It is very evident in reading this book that the author did a lot of research for this story. It was very intriguing to learn in more detail about the hardships they faced and some of the stories of the real passengers. Truth is often stranger than fiction.
	I liked the characters of Mary Elizabeth and William. They were both honest, hard working people. Where I struggled with this book was that I felt it was more of a young adult novel. I didn’t really feel a connection to the characters and the conversations felt written for a younger audience. I think this would make a wonderful novel for teenage girls that could really swoon over William and learn a lot from Mary Elizabeth. And the character of Peter seemed like a thrown in kink to the story that to me was unnecessary.
I look forward to reading the other books in this series and learning more about the different periods in history. I received this book for free from NetGalley. I was not required to post a positive review and the views and opinions expressed are my own.
Preliminary thoughts:
I liked Mary and William as characters and enjoyed the descriptions of what they faced on the Speedwell and the Mayflower.

Jarring historical errors:
—Pneumonia: Not only were the symptoms and treatment and the statistics of fatality off, pneumonia wasn’t even discovered and named until 1881
—Washing one’s mouth out with soap as a treatment of swearing: First, there wasn’t bar soap as we know it.  Most soap was “brown soap,” with lye sourced from ash, which doesn’t fully harden.  Further, the earliest instance of using soap to wash out one’s mouth as a punishment was in 1832.

Format choices: I get that she wanted to stay as close to Biblical quotes as possible, and included the ampersands for “and” in the quotes, but it was extra-distracting to try to interpret symbols instead of a simple word during character conversations.

Later thoughts: I actually recall it more as a 2.5; I really won’t be rereading.  There are just so many other Mayflower stories that are more historically accurate and better plotted.

Thanks to the publisher for a free review copy.
This is book one in a new series by Kimberley Woodhouse. This time period is not one I read a lot, but I was intrigued by the description. I really enjoyed the history lesson that I got while reading this book. The author has well developed characters, an easy to follow story line, great descriptions. The author did careful research. I am looking forward to the next book in the series.
I received a copy of this book through NetGalley and Barbour Publishing -- all thoughts are my own.
Daughters of the Mayflower series begins with The Mayflower Bride. Coming in at 256 pages it’s a relatively quick read chronicling the voyage in 1620 of the Mayflower to the New World.

I enjoyed the historical setting and was interested as these Separatists wanted to start over in a place where they have the freedom to worship as they saw fit. Most of this book takes place on the ship and it's where the real test of endurance takes place.  There are lots of themes to this book - survival, love and loss, faith and the day to day struggles on a voyage that brought heartache and tested so many.

While I didn’t always connect to the characters and would have loved a little more depth to the story The Mayflower Bride was an enjoyable read and a series I will continue to read.

Thanks to the publisher (via Netgalley) for an arc in exchange for honest review.
Fleeing to the New World for religious freedom, Mary Elizabeth along with her widower father and brother David, are among the Pilgrims who were severely tested on the crossing to Massachusetts.  William, not a religious man, is hired on as a carpenter. Abandoned as a child, he was finally taken in by a benefactor who encouraged William to be part of the Mayflower voyage.
Both young adults, Mary Elizabeth and Williams are drawn to one another.  Circumstances on board, though, are tenuous and many perish. The late season landing in Massachusetts was unexpected; the group was aiming for current day New York City area.
I felt the author did a great job portraying the difficulties of the voyage and the peril involved in the first year in the New World.
I love reading historical fiction and I am not very familiar with this particular time in history. I enjoyed the authors writing style, her characters,  Mary & William and their journey on the Speedwell. I really look forward to reading the next book in the series. While my little bit of research inspired by this book showed that a lot of the details were not exactly historically accurate, it did inspire me to research more about 1600's.
This was a good historical read. It focuses on the Separationists and why they came to the New World. There is so much history and research that shows in this novel. Bravery and strength, founded and rooted in strong Biblical faith shine in this book. It has enough story to pull the history into it without the reader losing interest. I really enjoyed this book.

My original copy came through Net Galley, and I also bought a copy this month. My thoughts and opinions are my own, this review is here because I chose to review this book.
I love historical novels, and this one was particularly unique. So as not to detract from the stories of actual passengers, Kimberly Woodhouse created fictional characters in her retelling of the Mayflower voyage of 1620. Most people are familiar with the Thanksgiving story, but I don’t think people really comprehend the great sacrifice that journey cost those early settlers. Woodhouse does, and she uses that knowledge to tell a story of bravery, loss, and exploration. Ironically, right after finishing this book, I discovered I am a descendant of one of those brave souls. I now plan to reread this book from that new-found perspective. This was an enjoyable read, and I’m looking forward to future books in the series.
This was a really enjoyable historical fiction read.  I pathetically pictured the pilgrims blowing across the Atlantic and stepping out of their ship and onto Plymouth Rock. I knew some of their challenges, but I had no idea about most of what happened. This carefully researched book takes you through the travails and trials by following the experiences of the fictional Separatist Mary Chapman and carpenter for hire William Lytton. Their two separate perspectives allow the reader to view the various facets of the Mayflower experience. It made me want to read more about this time and place and the people who established a very significant beginning.
3.5 or 4 stars. I really enjoyed this story of the Mayflower and the Separatists' efforts to establish a new colony. I had only really known the bare bones of this part of history, so I really liked becoming more familiar with the details. Historical fiction is more interesting to me than straight history as I like to see how the historical events may have affected the people involved. One complaint I have, however, is that the main characters were not as well-developed as I would have liked and the other characters even less so. The book seems to have been fairly thoroughly researched, based on the details of the ships, the voyages, the Separatists' beliefs, etc. Something I thought the author did well is incorporating the characters' religious beliefs in a smooth and believable way. I'm a Christian myself, but most "Christian fiction" seems to be too preachy or too awkward and just not well-integrated. Here, that didn't seem to be a problem, maybe because the characters were so very religious that it seemed natural to have frequent quotes from Scripture, prayers, etc.

Recommended for fans of historical fiction and/or Christian fiction.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me a free e-ARC of this book.
The book is about the pilgrims who came over on the Mayflower, and try to start a colony in Plymouth. I loved the history aspect of the book, and learned so many interesting things I never knew about that voyage over to America. I liked how the author incorporated real people from the voyage into the story, and showing how their faith played a big role in their decisions. Otherwise, I felt the story was a bit lacking. It just seemed there needed to be more. It was still a quick, and enjoyable read.
I heard about this series from several authors whose books I enjoy, but this was my first read from this author.  Unfortunately, this book fell short of my expectations.

Initially, I was drawn to Mary Elizabeth and her struggle with leaving home for an unknown land.  She meets William on the journey and a sweet romance begins to unfold.  Not long into the story, everything began feeling very flat to me.  It seemed more like I was reading a history lesson rather than an engaging story and I eventually disconnected with the main characters.

Though most of the story alternates between the POV of Mary Elizabeth and William, we get a glimpse into other characters thoughts, which I found to be too much.  There's a villain, but he comes up at random parts of the story and so infrequently that I kept forgetting about him.

The story overall is fine, and I like the themes of faith and trust woven in, however, it failed to keep me engaged and just seemed to drag on.
I have read very little books that take place in this period in history, so I was thrilled to pick it up and try something new!  Woodhouse does a great job of providing background/history while still writing a captivating and engaging story.  Looking forward to reading her next book!