The Mayflower Bride

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 May 2018

I started this book, then had to stop and start again. It’s a book filled with historical details about the Mayflower journey and the beginnings of Plymouth. I found that very interesting. The story itself was a little slow moving for my preference. But I would recommend it. History lovers will enjoy it and the romance is very light. It’s also the beginning of a series of books that can be standalone, but are connected through ancestry. I look forward to continuing the series. And I enjoyed learning the details about the Mayflower. I received a copy of this book from NetGalley and also purchased a copy from a retailer. All views expressed here are my own.
3 stars- When I heard about this new series I was very interested in checking it out. I was excited to read the first book and learn more about the Mayflower and the Pilgrims. It is very evident in reading this book that the author did a lot of research for this story. It was very intriguing to learn in more detail about the hardships they faced and some of the stories of the real passengers. Truth is often stranger than fiction.
	I liked the characters of Mary Elizabeth and William. They were both honest, hard working people. Where I struggled with this book was that I felt it was more of a young adult novel. I didn’t really feel a connection to the characters and the conversations felt written for a younger audience. I think this would make a wonderful novel for teenage girls that could really swoon over William and learn a lot from Mary Elizabeth. And the character of Peter seemed like a thrown in kink to the story that to me was unnecessary.
I look forward to reading the other books in this series and learning more about the different periods in history. I received this book for free from NetGalley. I was not required to post a positive review and the views and opinions expressed are my own.
Preliminary thoughts:
I liked Mary and William as characters and enjoyed the descriptions of what they faced on the Speedwell and the Mayflower.

Jarring historical errors:
—Pneumonia: Not only were the symptoms and treatment and the statistics of fatality off, pneumonia wasn’t even discovered and named until 1881
—Washing one’s mouth out with soap as a treatment of swearing: First, there wasn’t bar soap as we know it.  Most soap was “brown soap,” with lye sourced from ash, which doesn’t fully harden.  Further, the earliest instance of using soap to wash out one’s mouth as a punishment was in 1832.

Format choices: I get that she wanted to stay as close to Biblical quotes as possible, and included the ampersands for “and” in the quotes, but it was extra-distracting to try to interpret symbols instead of a simple word during character conversations.

Later thoughts: I actually recall it more as a 2.5; I really won’t be rereading.  There are just so many other Mayflower stories that are more historically accurate and better plotted.

Thanks to the publisher for a free review copy.
This is book one in a new series by Kimberley Woodhouse. This time period is not one I read a lot, but I was intrigued by the description. I really enjoyed the history lesson that I got while reading this book. The author has well developed characters, an easy to follow story line, great descriptions. The author did careful research. I am looking forward to the next book in the series.
I received a copy of this book through NetGalley and Barbour Publishing -- all thoughts are my own.
Daughters of the Mayflower series begins with The Mayflower Bride. Coming in at 256 pages it’s a relatively quick read chronicling the voyage in 1620 of the Mayflower to the New World.

I enjoyed the historical setting and was interested as these Separatists wanted to start over in a place where they have the freedom to worship as they saw fit. Most of this book takes place on the ship and it's where the real test of endurance takes place.  There are lots of themes to this book - survival, love and loss, faith and the day to day struggles on a voyage that brought heartache and tested so many.

While I didn’t always connect to the characters and would have loved a little more depth to the story The Mayflower Bride was an enjoyable read and a series I will continue to read.

Thanks to the publisher (via Netgalley) for an arc in exchange for honest review.
Fleeing to the New World for religious freedom, Mary Elizabeth along with her widower father and brother David, are among the Pilgrims who were severely tested on the crossing to Massachusetts.  William, not a religious man, is hired on as a carpenter. Abandoned as a child, he was finally taken in by a benefactor who encouraged William to be part of the Mayflower voyage.
Both young adults, Mary Elizabeth and Williams are drawn to one another.  Circumstances on board, though, are tenuous and many perish. The late season landing in Massachusetts was unexpected; the group was aiming for current day New York City area.
I felt the author did a great job portraying the difficulties of the voyage and the peril involved in the first year in the New World.
I love reading historical fiction and I am not very familiar with this particular time in history. I enjoyed the authors writing style, her characters,  Mary & William and their journey on the Speedwell. I really look forward to reading the next book in the series. While my little bit of research inspired by this book showed that a lot of the details were not exactly historically accurate, it did inspire me to research more about 1600's.
This was a good historical read. It focuses on the Separationists and why they came to the New World. There is so much history and research that shows in this novel. Bravery and strength, founded and rooted in strong Biblical faith shine in this book. It has enough story to pull the history into it without the reader losing interest. I really enjoyed this book.

My original copy came through Net Galley, and I also bought a copy this month. My thoughts and opinions are my own, this review is here because I chose to review this book.
I love historical novels, and this one was particularly unique. So as not to detract from the stories of actual passengers, Kimberly Woodhouse created fictional characters in her retelling of the Mayflower voyage of 1620. Most people are familiar with the Thanksgiving story, but I don’t think people really comprehend the great sacrifice that journey cost those early settlers. Woodhouse does, and she uses that knowledge to tell a story of bravery, loss, and exploration. Ironically, right after finishing this book, I discovered I am a descendant of one of those brave souls. I now plan to reread this book from that new-found perspective. This was an enjoyable read, and I’m looking forward to future books in the series.
This was a really enjoyable historical fiction read.  I pathetically pictured the pilgrims blowing across the Atlantic and stepping out of their ship and onto Plymouth Rock. I knew some of their challenges, but I had no idea about most of what happened. This carefully researched book takes you through the travails and trials by following the experiences of the fictional Separatist Mary Chapman and carpenter for hire William Lytton. Their two separate perspectives allow the reader to view the various facets of the Mayflower experience. It made me want to read more about this time and place and the people who established a very significant beginning.
3.5 or 4 stars. I really enjoyed this story of the Mayflower and the Separatists' efforts to establish a new colony. I had only really known the bare bones of this part of history, so I really liked becoming more familiar with the details. Historical fiction is more interesting to me than straight history as I like to see how the historical events may have affected the people involved. One complaint I have, however, is that the main characters were not as well-developed as I would have liked and the other characters even less so. The book seems to have been fairly thoroughly researched, based on the details of the ships, the voyages, the Separatists' beliefs, etc. Something I thought the author did well is incorporating the characters' religious beliefs in a smooth and believable way. I'm a Christian myself, but most "Christian fiction" seems to be too preachy or too awkward and just not well-integrated. Here, that didn't seem to be a problem, maybe because the characters were so very religious that it seemed natural to have frequent quotes from Scripture, prayers, etc.

Recommended for fans of historical fiction and/or Christian fiction.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me a free e-ARC of this book.
The book is about the pilgrims who came over on the Mayflower, and try to start a colony in Plymouth. I loved the history aspect of the book, and learned so many interesting things I never knew about that voyage over to America. I liked how the author incorporated real people from the voyage into the story, and showing how their faith played a big role in their decisions. Otherwise, I felt the story was a bit lacking. It just seemed there needed to be more. It was still a quick, and enjoyable read.
I heard about this series from several authors whose books I enjoy, but this was my first read from this author.  Unfortunately, this book fell short of my expectations.

Initially, I was drawn to Mary Elizabeth and her struggle with leaving home for an unknown land.  She meets William on the journey and a sweet romance begins to unfold.  Not long into the story, everything began feeling very flat to me.  It seemed more like I was reading a history lesson rather than an engaging story and I eventually disconnected with the main characters.

Though most of the story alternates between the POV of Mary Elizabeth and William, we get a glimpse into other characters thoughts, which I found to be too much.  There's a villain, but he comes up at random parts of the story and so infrequently that I kept forgetting about him.

The story overall is fine, and I like the themes of faith and trust woven in, however, it failed to keep me engaged and just seemed to drag on.
I have read very little books that take place in this period in history, so I was thrilled to pick it up and try something new!  Woodhouse does a great job of providing background/history while still writing a captivating and engaging story.  Looking forward to reading her next book!
I received a copy from NetGalley; this is my honest review. #TheMayflowerBride #NetGalley
-Despite their young age, William and Mary Elizabeth make a great couple but I only saw friendship not love, certainly not lust or anything else.
-Lots of details of the hardship of the voyage, more drama than I cared for, not enough interaction between the people on the ship but a great deal of grief.
-I'm not sure what the problem was with the author and "and vs. &" specifically while quoting verses but really it seems disrespectful. If she wanted to save space why not breathe or whisper a prayer without actually writing the whole thing or stopped quoting the Bible while (maybe) giving up the reference - I have my own Bible, I can check it out myself. I calculated about a dozen pages or more lost to quotes, prayers and sermons and that's too much. Fortunately the author exchange "and" for "&"!
-Then another 3 pages wasted for the copy of the agreement with the Natives and all the signatures (was that really necessary to the story?).
-The author herself gives a spoiler at the beginning of the book by saying that Mary Elizabeth's father will die. Other than that, I'm not sure what those lists were for as they didn't help at all during the reading of the story.
-The book, deemed an historical romance, felt more like a research paper to be given to a professor.
-This is my first book with this author and doesn't encourage me to read more from her. I'm hoping the next book will be better since I know the author.
Although good, this book didn't grab my attention as much as I'd hoped.  The story is good.  The concept is great.  Personally, I just had a tough time getting into the book.
The Mayflower Bride is the first book of the Daughters of the Mayflower series, which will be released throughout the 2018 year and will comprise six novels written by five different authors. According to Amazon, this series is recommended for fans of history, faith, romance, adventure, and family trees! That description checked my box of preferences, so without hesitation I added it to my reading list. I looked forward to reading about the earliest settlers’ journey to the New World. And after reading The Mayflower Bride, I think Kimberly Woodhouse did a great job detailing the hardship the Separatists experienced on their quest. As expected there was sickness, death, and the uncertainty and difficulty of establishing a colony among the indigenous people. I liked both Mary Elisabeth and William Lytton. I especially enjoyed William who had a complex backstory, and I found it interesting to read from his perspective of this journey given that he was a non-Separatists on the Mayflower.

Overall, this was a decent read, but I do have a few quibbles about The Mayflower Bride. First, I wished the length of the book was longer than 256 pages. As a result some aspects of the story were unclear and left me with unanswered questions. Secondly, I really enjoyed reading about the faith of the Separatists that was detailed throughout the story. After reading the last page of this novel, I had no uncertainty regarding the extent to which they worshiped God and sought obedience to the Bible; however, I felt the story itself was overall pretty light yet the scriptures were deep and thought provoking, so I felt a disconnect between the characters and the scriptures they quoted. I recall saying in my mind over and over how I wished that I could see these truths fully come alive in the characters’ lives. I probably would have loved this story if it was longer; it seems all of my quibbles come down to wanting a bit more depth for such a rich historical period.

This is a great novel if you’re interested in reading a novel about the lives of the Separatists on the Mayflower that is not too heavy in content. I look forward to reading the second novel in the Daughters of the Mayflower series!
Feedback Type:
Your Comments: (1500-character maximum)

I love reading books that take place in the 1600.  Well written, such a good read.  Great beginning and ending.  highly recommend
How likely are you to recommend the Amazon Reader to a friend?Sharing your thoughts can help us improve the Amazon Reader. Though we can't reply directly, we do review and consider all feedback.
Feedback Type:
Your Comments: (1500-character maximum)

I love reading books that take place in the 1600.  Well written, such a good read.  Great begging and ending.  highly recommend
How likely are you to recommend the Amazon Reader to a friend?
The people that came over on the Mayflower are an amazing group. It really is remarkable what they were able to endure. I thought this story was absorbing on a historical perspective but it left me wishing for more. I know the main characters in this book were fictional and that the actual people who came over on the Mayflower come and go as side players in this story but I felt like I would have rather had more about them. I guess perhaps this is a good introduction and now I need to actually go and read up on some of these very interesting people.

As the starter book in a series this set the stage well. It shows a couple starting over in the new world and then as the series progresses decendants of these two will take over the story and lead us through some of American History. It sounds like a promising series!
Bringing to life the plight of the pilgrims, The Mayflower Bride follows Mary Elizabeth and her family as they leave their beloved home to journey to the New World.  Along the way, Mary Elizabeth meets handsome William, and their love story blossoms.

I was fascinated by the factual events portrayed in the book, for example, I never knew they had to return to England several times before abandoning a ship to join the Mayflower.  And I didn't realize they spent so much time on that ship even after reaching the new world.  My imagination ran wild with what it must have been like for those daring souls to brave the unknown.

My biggest gripe with this novel was the long scriptural passages.  I understand that the pilgrims needed devout faith to accomplish their goal, but I found myself swimming in scripture.  There were some places had small, short passages, which helped me understand the thoughts and feelings of the main characters.  However, the longer passages seemed to distance me from the story line.   Especially towards the latter part of the book, when I'm ready for a conclusion, there were pages of scripture that I just struggled through.  It was perhaps more of a sermon than I'm looking for in a novel.

All in all, an interesting read, but it was a book I could definitely put on the nightstand for a few days without a second thought.