The Rogue Is Back in Town

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 02 Jan 2018

Rogue Sam is given the task by his brother to empty a rundown house or be cut off. Sam agrees but is surprised when the occupant of the house, Miss Juliette Lacey refuses to leave. She believes the property belongs to her family while Sam and his brother are sure that it belongs to them. Determined not to fail in his task, Sam decides to move in to the ramshackle house. After all, the house belongs to his brother and it would not be a hardship to live under the same roof as the attractive Julie. What Sam doesn't realise is that Julie has a past with his brother.
I was really intrigued by this whole storyline. Julie and Sam have a clear attraction to one another but she kissed his...

See Full Review
I love Anna Bennett historical romances! There's always a nice touch of angst in a sexy story.
Fun escape to regency goodness - full of witty and sparkling dialogue and steamy and romantic moments.. Recommend!

No reading disappointment compares to a book that starts with fireworks of promise only to crash and burn like a petering petard. Sadly, such was Anna Bennett’s The Rogue Is Back In Town. I was excited after the first chapter (with its promise of early-Julia-Quinn-like humour); half-way through, I had a lip-twisting downward trend to my mouth; by 70% in, I was into full eye-roll and exasperated sighs territory.

First, let me set the scene for you, dear reader. In 1818 London, Lord Samuel Travis, fortune-less younger son, is the bane of his older brother’s existence: carousing, brawling, and neglecting debts. Older brother Nigel, heir and anti-prodigal son, sets Samuel an ultimatum: out of...

See Full Review
I actually love the first book in this series because it's very refreshing. And I was actually counting the days when I could read Juliette's story because she's very charming in the first book and I think that she's one of those perfect heroine for a historical romance. Maybe my expectation to her is just too high or I've forgotten just how cheesy historical romance could be. While her elder sister did everything she did with a reason, Juliette seems more impulsive and too childish. Her fierceness is the best about her though, because it makes me still love her despite other things. But I wish that her character had been more like her elder sister a little bit
HEROINE RATING: 5 stars
WRITING: 4.5 stars
EMOTION:3 stars
STORY TELLING RATING: 3 stars
STORY ENDING RATING: 3 stars
Was there an instant connection with the book?YES,

Juliette Lacey is the final Wilting Wallflower, thus dubbed by her now brother-in-law. Surprisingly, that title didn't come up too much in this final book in the series. Julie is not in a rush, trot, or even a meandering walk to find a husband for herself, in strike contrast to her uncle's wishes. For now, she lives with her uncle (purported by the ton to be mad) in his late wife's townhouse and she cares for him and encourages him with his scientific work. To provide her uncle with a long-standing social interest for the rest of his life, she strikes a deal with him and helps him to that end. She will look for a husband after he has submitted his research to the Royal...

See Full Review

Sam is a dissolute younger brother hoping to mend his relationship with his older brother Nigel, who is held as a paragon in polite society. In order to do so, he has to clear out a London property of its current possible residents, or else he will have nowhere to live. These residents turn out to be Juliette Lacey and her uncle Alistair, and Sam is smitten.

This is the third in the Wayward Wallflower series, but it's not necessary to have read the two prior books to understand this one. The setup to get Sam and Juliette together in the house is ridiculous and absolutely due to the social constraints of the Regency era. It's hilarious to watch the interactions between the two of...

See Full Review

I very much enjoyed the story of Sam and Julie. I loved their banter and watching these two fall in love was heartwarming. I liked the fact that Sam was the second son, he wasn't a duke or an earl that could offer so much to Julie. But he had heart and his love was pure and sweet. Julie was a firecracker! She was willing to do anything for her family but prideful enough not to stoop to Nigel's level. Nigel just so happens to be Sam's brother, who happens to also be a cad. I would have liked to see some damage done to him! The most endearing character happened to be Julie's uncle Alistair. Such a sweet man--we should all have an uncle like him. I look forward...

See Full Review
WHEW. I have never been so mad at a book in such a good way. I mean who just waltzes in and basically tells people "OK BYE this is mine now"? It started a little on the MEH side but it really started kicking up steam and was absolutely glorious!
Due to my reading slump, it took me two tries to get through this book. I am glad I gave it a second chance because once I got into it, I got into it. This was such a unique twist on the cliched reformed rogue troupe. I can not recall any other romances offhand where these types of family dynamics worked.

I am glad that the one aspect of romance novels I tend to be irritated by was missing from this novel. That is the storyline did not feel rushed. My favorite part of the book is the familial relationships that shine through, it made it more important than just a lovers romance.

Overall this is a great historical romance that I recommend!
They definitely met under less than desirable circumstances. Right aft r being forced out of his families home and told to change his ways he meets the one person he holds his future in her small hands. Juliette has lived with her widowed Uncle for years and now is being forced out of the only place she calls home. Coming to an agreement with Samuel was something she tried to avoid at all costs and having to compromise put a wrench her plans. But, she has to make allowances to keep her home safe. There were times this book was absolutely hilarious and waiting to see who would bend first kept my attention waiting to see what would happen next.

Review of “The Rogue Is Back In Town” by Anna Bennet

Thanks to St. Martin’s Press for providing me with an ARC via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

Two Stars 🌟 🌟

Right. Where to start. I have not previously read any books bu this author and looked forward to getting to know her work, even though this is the third book in a series. I personally don’t have any issue in regards to reading books out of order, especially if they’re a stand-alone story on their own.

Unfortunately nothing about this book worked for me. But, maybe, it’s because it’s more about me than the book itself?

For the past few months, when it comes to historicals, I have been drawn to dark romances filled...

See Full Review
A  solid Regency story of true love over deceitful duty. I loved this, Anna Bennett has a natural ability to write a story that grabs you from the first page. I have read and enjoyed the other books in this series and was really looking forward to this one. Fabulous sense of humor and expert writing together for a heartfelt and fun story.
The first 10 chapters were slow but the book got really good in the middle and the end.  The romance seemed very natural unlike a lot of books in the genre. It didn't feel rushed. Sam was a great hero and I loved his relationship with both the woman he loves and with her uncle Alister.
LOVED this book. The last of 3 "wall flower" sisters living with their eccentric uncle indulges in a midnight kiss with a marquess. She thinks its love until nothing becomes of it. Moving on with her life, his brother is planted on their doorstep with an ultimatum sent by the Marquess. She and her uncle must leave their home, as it does not belong to them, but to his family. The brother known as a "rogue" and the center of the gossip magazines plants himself in the home as a way of getting back in his brothers good graces. However, he quickly learns she is more than meets the eye, his brother is less than he thought and his outlook and drive in life is different than he imagined.
I absolutely loved Sam and Juliette's story!! They were absolutely perfect for each other! Too bad Juliette thinks she is in love with Sam's brother, talk about an bump in the road to their HEA!!

Now that this series is complete, I'm excited to see what Bennett comes up with next!!

First of all, look at that pretty cover! Yes, I know, I’m shallow and I like pretty covers and that cover is so pretty and purple and it’s just so O-M-G! So pretty that even though I read an ARC of this book I had to buy the print book because yes, pretty cover!

Moving on, Sam is known by everyone as a womanizer and a rake. His brother is done with him and is ready to disown him unless he does one thing for him: remove Miss Juliet Lacey, one of the Wilting Wallflowers, and his uncle Alistair from one of his properties.

Sam was a really fun character. He was a rake alright but a the same time he was endearing and oh, so sweet. He knew it was time to stop living a life of debauchery if he...

See Full Review
As always I want to first thank NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for providing us with a copy of this book so that we could bring you this review.

What a bastard Sam's brother is. He was doing dirty underhanded things to try and get Julie to be his mistress, but thankfully Sam saw what kind of person he was and agreed to help her. To be the man that she needs to no longer be a wallflower. These books have been great and I am sad to see the end of the wallflower sisters, but I know that Anna Bennett has more in store for us in the future.

I gave this book 5 kisses.

Happy Reading... Adri