Somebody's Daughter

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 10 Aug 2018

Found this not at all suspenseful and quite hard to finish.  The ending didn’t really resolve the kidnapping and it seemed rather rushed how it all ended.  The story didn’t flow and had too many characters.
Second novel from David Bell I read and didn’t disappoint. I’m officially a fan! Every single chapter ended in a cliffhanger, making me rush to find out who’s daughter Felicity was! Loved the fact that the whole story develops in less than 24 hours pretty much so you can imagine! Loved the ending! (I was sooo hoping for that!) I don’t want to give away anything so this one should be in your TBR pile if you haven’t read it yet! All the stars for Bell!
Somebody's Daughter takes place in the time frame of one night. That was a lot of action taking place quite quickly, which was reflected in the pacing of the book, The story is related from alternating points of view, the "father" Michael, the Mother Angela, and Detective Griffin.  The multiple narrator technique is not my favorite, as I find it harder to connect to the characters for some reason.  The premise and plot are entertaining.  I felt it was a suspenseful page turner, however I wouldn't categorize it as a thriller.  I really appreciated that Mr. Bell did not telegraph the twists and turns, so I was frequently surprised.  3.5
Michael and Angela Frazier are happily married and are desperate for a baby after years of failure. One evening, Michael’s ex-wife, Erica, appears at their door unannounced. This is  a big surprise since the two have not been in touch for many years. She is in a frantic state after the disappearance of her ten-year-old daughter Felicity.  Erica gets Michael to help her investigate after revealing that Felicity is his child.

Erica believes that Felicity’s music teacher is involved in the abduction and knows where to find her daughter.  She needs Michael’s assistance for her planned interrogation.  Together they seek to solve the mystery despite the efforts of detectives already working on the case.  At the same time, Angela learns information about Erica that has her concerned about her husband’s safety.

This is a delightfully suspenseful book with major twists and turns. David Bell owes me a night’s sleep back after making me stay up for the conclusion.  I look forward to more novels from him.
I enjoyed this book and loved how it was told in the timeline fashion but I was not impressed with the ending. The story didn't address the missing child or the paternity test that Erica was avoiding. I wish these two points were addressed in the epilogue.
This thriller was very well written and had good flow. I liked the storyline, but was a little disappointed by the ending.
Michael and his wife Angela have been trying a while to have a baby without success. One evening there is a pounding on their door and Michael is confronted by his ex wife Erica who tells him that he is the father of her 10-year old daughter who has just gone missing.
Michael agrees to help her and gets himself into a web of family matters he did not know existed.
I thank the publishers who sent me an ARC for my honest review through Netgalley.
Kindle said I read 25% of this book and honestly that was all I could take. I really disliked the dialogue, which was absurd and awkward, the characters were unlikable and the story not believable.
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an eARC of this book
A good book to get lost in with lots of twists in the plot that pretty much keep one guessing until the end. I didn't find myself connecting emotionally to any of the characters but did find them interesting. 3.5 stars.
Excellent! This book starts off with suspense and action and it didn't stop. Mike and Angela were at home having a happy evening. Erica, Mike's ex-wife shows up with horrible news. Her 9-year-old daughter is missing and guess what? It happens to be his child as well. Can you say bombshell moment? What happened and why did Erica hide this child from Mike for so long?

Things I liked about this book are the multiple points of view. I LOVE that in a book! It made for a fast read, with my not wanting to put it down till it ended.

I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Net Galley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own and this review is left of my own free will.
This book, told from alternating view points, is David Bell at his best. A great psychological thriller with a punch. It drew me in from the first pages and didn't let go until the end. A great reading ride
Back in October of 2017, I read and reviewed a book by today's author, David Bell.  That book, Bring Her Home, was an awesome thriller that I completely enjoyed.  When I saw that Mr. Bell had a new book out, Somebody's Daughter, I signed right up to read and review it through my association with NetGalley. Here are my thoughts on Somebody's Daughter:

The craziest thing about this book is that 24 hours full of twist and turns unfolds over 400 pages.  That's the whole book.  I thought it was crazy when I looked back and realized what had happened - I didn't even notice it until the end.

So here's the story - Michael Frazier and his second wife, Angela, are living a very good life in Cottonsville, Kentucky. They are unsuccessful in their efforts to have a baby, but they keep trying. Michael was married before to Erica, but the marriage barely made it past a year before they parted ways.

After all this time, the doorbell rings one night and Erica appears at Michael's door. She begs him to help find her missing daughter who she claims is Michael's child. Michael questions whether that could be true.  Angela tells him to let the police take care of it, but he just can't refuse to help Erica find Felicity.  Michael takes off with his ex-wife to find the girl since her fate appears to be in jeopardy.

(**NOTE** At this point I pause to say I was already thinking Michael was making a big mistake and should be listening to his wife, but then again, we wouldn't have a story if he did that, now would we?)

There are so many people who could have done it - there's the ex-wife, the ex-wife's boyfriend, the mom, the sister....the list goes on. Let's not forget to include a babysitter or a neighbor or the music teacher. Because of the fast paced writing, the story was flying buy and keeping me on my toes. There were so many twists and turns in this story that nothing was predictable.

I didn't have a clue until I was nearing the end of the book so I give the author props on story development there! The plot was very interesting and well paced.  The chapters were short, which ultimately caused me to keep reading when I should have put the book down and gotten to the daily grind. I kept turning pages over and over until I found myself missing the gym one morning! (No worries, I didn't miss work and caught the gym later that day!)  The characters were believably realistic too.  Somebody's Daughter is an intense and captivating story that is riveting, suspenseful and intriguing to readers.

I received an advanced readers digital copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review. I was not required to provide a positive review and this affected neither my opinion of the book, nor the content of my review!! Thank you NetGalley!
David Bell has done it again!  Somebody's Daughter takes you on a chase to find a missing child while adding the mystery of who took her and why AND is she really Michael's daughter?
  Erika, David's ex wife, shows up at David and his wife, Angela's home telling them that not only is her 9 year old daughter missing, but Michael is the father.  Then all hell breaks loose as David leaves with Erika.   The police show up looking for Erika....and the evening just gets more and more complicated.
   Like I said, another good book from David Bell!!
Somebody's Daughter hooked me from the beginning. I couldn't put it down. David Bell has a great writing style that just pulled me right in. This was my first David Bell book and look forward to reading more.
Told with multiple points of view his writing kept my interest, especially his ability to leave you hanging at the end of each chapter. This made it very difficult to stop at any given point.

Michael Frazier is in for a big shock when his ex-wife, Erica, shows up unexpectedly at his door one evening. His ex wife shows up telling him that his daughter he didn't know about is missing. although shocked and confused, he immediately jumps into action.

I'd like to thank David Bell,Berkley Publishing Group and Netgalley for giving me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my honest review.
3.5 stars!
I was slightly disappointed by this book, but only because I felt like there weren’t enough twists. I was also sad that the ending didn’t answer all of the questions brought up.

Overall it was a pretty good book though!
I really wanted to like this book, but I unfortunately could not get into it for several reasons. As for the positives, I will admit that this book is an extremely fast-paced thriller with short chapters that keep you reading until you've gotten to the end. It also strays far from tropes and the characters' relationships with each other were well-developed and gave flesh to an otherwise bare-bones novel.

Unfortunately, what irked me most about this book was that it felt like a skeleton. The chapters were so short that while they made the reading experience super fast-paced, their length made the story feel choppy. Each chapter ended on a cliffhanger, and I hate that structure in a thriller because it feels like a cop-out. A book should make me want to keep reading even if I'm not consistently on the edge; it should do so with a complicated plot. I wasn't invested in the characters or the plot whatsoever, and the only reason I kept going was because the chapters were so short that I felt like I had to.

Moreover, a lot of the information and thought is disseminated through dialogue rather than introspection. The latter would have given the characters more depth and allowed us to think along with them, rather than the reader being handed all the information through spoken word. It felt like the author did not trust the reader enough to connect the dots, so the dots were being connected for us. Thrillers that hand you all the information on a platter in plain sight are no fun, in my opinion.
This book was a bit slow-paced and I guessed the bad guy fairly quickly, but it was still well-written and enjoyable. I didn't really like any of the characters but I could definitely sympathize for them. It's a tough situation but one that I feel has been done a lot in thrillers. I wish there had been a slightly more unique plot twist.
Poor gullible Michael and his quiet wife Angela see their peaceful nest torn to shreds one evening when ex-wife Erica comes ripping thru like the Tasmanian devil, telling Michael her daughter is missing and she may, no, most likely, no, IS his daughter. We don’t like Erica from the start. She should be at home or with the police, but no, she’s a chain-smoking, mouthy hothead, stomping into peoples’ homes and whipping butt, dragging poor Michael along in her crime spree.
And mousy little Angela, who hasn’t procreated for David yet (and feels woefully inadequate), can’t get past the fact that he may, no, most likely, no, DOES already have a daughter. Then there’s the busybody mom-in-law, the rock star sister-in-law, and some guy who thinks he’s the daughter’s real dad and is willing to punch anyone who doesn’t agree.
I got mentally worn out from all the running going on; various characters in different scenarios, all running full speed all night long. And the lack of police presence was a bit questionable; so many of the events were about people who were considered suspects doing their own police work. But I stayed glued to the end, and I enjoyed the way David wrapped up the story. I've read a number of his books in the past and I will most definitely keep on reading his work!
(I received an advance copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an unbiased review. Thank you to Berkley Publishing Group for making it available.)
I’m a David Bell fan and this is the best book of his that I’ve read. It’s non-stop action from start to finish keeping me hooked the entire time. Great storyline about a missing girl and all the people affected by that and by past hurts.
This book pulled me in from the very first chapter and did not let go until the very end. I’m a huge fan of David Bell’s. His books keep you riveted till the end. This one is no exception. Hooked me right from the start.
This was my first Michael Bell book. I really enjoyed it even though this isn't my usual read.  Michael Frazier is in for the surprise of his life when he opens the door to his ex-wife Erica.  Her 9 year old daughter, Felicity is missing.....which she also springs on him happens to be his daughter.  He takes off with Erica to look for their daughter mush to his wife, Angela's dismay.  Once the detectives show up and start asking questions, lots of discoveries come to light for Angela.  This book is full of twists and turns.  Hang on for the ride, you won't regret it.  Great read and definitely one click worthy!