Cover Image: #MeToo

#MeToo

All these essays are just wonderful and I really think we need this kind of books for these hards times, so we can tell all women to raise their voice! I highly recommend this to everyone!
First, I want to thank Perkins, Riverdale Avenue Books and NetGalley for providing me with this book so I may bring you this review.

#Me Too Essays about How and Why This Happens, What it means, and How to Make Sure it Never Happens Again edited by Lori Perkins cover of the book got my attention right away. It is incredibly powerful with three arms up different ethnicity showing that they stand together as one. This book is filled with incredible stories from incredible strong woman who are passionate about their fight in the #MeToo and #IBelieve Movement!! I stand beside them 10000%

I knew I had to read this book. I have read many memoirs on woman who were sexually abused this year. I commend those women for coming forward and sharing their stories. They are helping those who have been in similar situations seek help. I confess that I have had many #Me Too moments in my life. For me it makes me sad and angry the men that gets away with it.

#Me Too is dedicated to Anita Hill, Tarana Burke, Rose McGowan, all the woman that have bravely come forward, all those who won’t be silenced, and to the next generation who will not let this happen to them.

This book starts off with Lori Perkins reminiscing about how she had a totally out of place sexual behavior in the workplace. She was a publisher of the local newspaper in Upper Manhattan. Out of the blue a middle-aged local New York City politician asked if she would be his mistress!! Of course, she was shocked!! I would be too!

Lori put this book for everyone to tell their stories. She is hoping that this shows the beginning of this particular phase of this movement one that can be read and passed around as a reference when people look back on this time. These essays range from personal tales and reflection to cause for action and insider stories about abuse in Hollywood.

After #MeToo by A M Carley’s essay really spoke to me. AM brought up a great point in someone that sounded a lot like the famous Hugh. I never thought of him as a predator but now I do.
Wall Street Assets by Veronica Vera, D.H. S (Excerpt from her Memoir in progress) shouldn’t have shocked me seeing the subject matter. However, it did. Veronica’s first job was in 1969 in the back office. She worked with a short, loud-mouthed Napoleon that was the head trader for the company. He had a dirty mouth while he was on the phone. So, he asked her for her name in which she replied. Then he asked if she liked his material as he unzipped his fly!! There was a reason the called him “Crazy Sherman.”

This book is a must read for every female out there young and old!! This must be passed out in school libraries, counseling offices, workplaces, crisis centers, etc. Students need to be taught about this in health class in Middle or High School. This is a serious topic!! This is not going to go away anytime soon!! We need to come together and fight it!! #METOO #IBELIEVE
This was a very quick read and I thoroughly enjoyed the different essays, poems, or personal testimonies. Lori Perkins makes a profound statement by saying in her introduction that "We are not a mob. We are a movement." She explained how #MeToo went global with hashtags like #YoTambien in Spanish and #BalanceTonPorc in French. Even Patricia Douglas, the first whistle-blower on the sexual abuse in Hollywood, is covered. In these essays, you hear from Jessica Berdinka who worked for the Weinstein Brothers and Paul M. Sammon who works in the industry and discusses casting couches. You even get to hear about sexual assault or harassment in the work place and how it is handled in HR. This book of essays was empowering and heart-breaking. Definitely something people should read if they need the motivation to get up and change what is happening around them.

This book was given to me for free by Riverdale Avenue Books though NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
This is a compilation of essays from men and women discussing the MeToo Movement and their personal raw emotions that connects each one to this powerful new quest for change.
As a survivor of domestic violence and NPD and now having spent many years helping others heal from narcissistic abuse I can tell you the biggest thing we all can use today is 'validation'.
The need to be loved, to be heard, and to be understood --Isn't that powerful?
The stories are reflective of that need and sadly society's blame and shame upon victims of abuse.
It's not just in my opinion about sexual abuse as it's about all domestic violence and abuse.
I wish this never incorporated just sexual because abuse takes on many forms including financial , physical, verbal, emotional, psychological, religious, and sexual to name a few.
For me this was good but not a great reflection of the meaning behind the movement and the need to create change for all of us.
We must be careful that we are not just telling our story but that we are truly listening to one another.
This is such an amazing book! Particularly poignant as I read it following Brett Kavanaugh’s appointment to the US Supreme Court. It will upset you, make you angry, but most of all it will make you want to stand up and fight against this misogyny.
This review will be published on eyesofowls.org on October 4th at 9am.

Around this time last year The New York Times and The New Yorker published their investigations on the horrific accounts of sexual violence by film producer Harvey Weinstein. It opened up the conversation around sexual harassment and sexual assault not just in Hollywood and the film industry in general, but also in our society thanks to the #MeToo-movement.

What started in 2006 by activist Tarana Burke got widespread attention after Charmed-actress Alyssa Milano posted a photo inviting all women to share their stories of sexual violence with the hashtag MeToo. She wanted to show the magnitude of this problem in our society after so many people seemed to be shocked by what happened with Weinstein.

Inspired by the courageous stories of women everywhere, Lori Perkins decided to publish a book about this new era. Only a month after the Weinstein-story broke, #MeToo: Essays About How and Why This Happened, What It Means and How To Make Sure It Never Happens Again was published. This book contains 25 essays about analysis of predatory behaviour to really horrific stories told by survivors. I've been to tears many times reading what some women had to endure.

Not all of those essays have been interesting to read, some were boring or in one case incredibly bizarre. However, I do think that #MeToo was worth a read. One, the book is free if you buy it as an ebook. (And who doesn't love free books?) Second, reading the stories of other people surviving any form of sexual violence helps you understand the issue more, why people keep it quiet and if you are a survivor yourself, reading about fellow survivor's bravery can help you brave your own #MeToo-moment. At least that is what I felt.

One thing that kind of bothered me about the book was that I felt like it was published too quickly. With some of the essays it seemed as though they were rushed  and the order in which they appear seems so random. Nonetheless, I enjoyed reading #MeToo, as much as you can enjoy reading about a tough subject, anyway.

My favourite essays in this collection where the one about Patricia Douglas, who seems to be the first actress to call out film studios about sexual harassment in 1937, how it was working for the Weinstein company, Miramax, and the one about how women tend to protect the men around them by not talking about their experiences with sexual violence. I never knew about Douglas and I'm glad that I now know her story.
Incredibly relevant, powerful, and timely. Absolutely required and essential reading for understanding, empathy, and forging a better path forwards.
This is such a powerful and important book that everyone should read. #MeToo is a collection of essays about the movement from a variety of perspectives. I don't think my review can accurately capture how powerful this book is. It is a tough read, but a must read.
As a survivor, I wasn't sure how to feel about this. On one hand, it's a conversation that needs to happen, but on the other hand, it's just... it felt rushed. It felt like the author wanted to be the first person to write about it, you know?
This was such an interesting read !
"This is the turning point. Things are going to change"
I was really touched by this story and I think everyone should read this one
#MeToo: Essays About How and Why This Happened,

What It Means and How To Make Sure It Never Happens Again

More than 16 million people had posted their #MeToo story and support against sexual harassment by mid-October as a reaction to Rose McGowan’s brave admission that she had allegedly been raped by Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein.

While the essays do talk about an important topic, I felt that it wasn't as well written as I expected it to be.

Overall 3.5 stars
This is exactly the type of books that need to be published. The #MeToo is something all women should be reading about. This book allows the reader to get a better understanding of the issues, voices, and steps need to be made in the future.
Thank you to NetGalley and Lori Perkins for allowing me to read and review #MeToo. This book delivered! I think it's a very important book, discussing a vital topic. Well done.
This book was bittersweet- enjoyable, yet heart wrenching. Each essay in this collection was a powerful comment on the #MeToo movement and will serve to empower the women who read this book.
This collection of essays are so important. These are not easy to read, but they need to be told. I believe this book will empower many others who have yet to share their own #MeToo experiences to find their voice and speak their truth. I received the ARC version of this book in exchange for an honest review from NetGalley.
I stayed up late last night reading and recommend!  The #metoomovement exists everywhere that women move through the world and first we speak our truths and now we change the world!

“Because being heard was important. Being heard leads to people listening. Doing. It leads to change.”

A collection of short stories and essays revolving around the Harvey Weinstein incidents that happened during October 2017.  #Metoo refers to the series of tweets made by Alyssa Milano then Rose McGowan. The short stories focus a lot on the victims and their personal stories and journeys. Stories from the 70s to now and it was a very eye opening read.

As someone who loves films, I always been naturally interested and invested in the Harvey Weinstein scandals. And the women involved were actresses I really loved and admired. The stories were very informative yet short. Almost too short. The themes and important thing it talks about are speaking up, and I love messages that require you to use your voice. I feel like there is so much to say about the scandals and topic that everything just felt jammed. The tone would shift constantly from sexual harassment to graphic rape stories out of nowhere.

That being said, I do wish the essays were more organized, when a new author would introduce their story. I just wished certain essays were LONGER, because some had great commentary. The theme of speaking up is still reflected throughout every essay.
"We are not a mob. We are a movement."

Pithy with interesting writers contributing. It's worth reading because it's a quick read and gave me time to evaluate what's going on. I felt that most of the contributors are too second wave non-intersectional feminists for me to really want to say YES YES YES. I feel like a book on the #metoo movement should include male voices that feel the impact of the patriarchy. Not those who say unhelpful things like it never happened to me, I never saw it happen to anyone, etc. I'm looking at the 'The Big Ugly' chapter by Paul M. Sammon - who says 'it's not only straight hetero men who proposition (OR WORSE?!?!) straight hetero women...' This isn't a battle of the sexes, but I'd say both are bad and one happens a lot more due to it being a patriarchy.

"...Calm, fact-based discussion isn't often effective at changing anyone's mind. Our emotions don't reside there."

I didn't like Camilla Saly-Monzingo's chapter, as we are beyond asking girls and women to change what they are wearing and for them to be strong. The focus needs to be on the person committing the crime, not the one on the receiving end.

And Mary Billiter's 'if pubescent girls aren't protected in their homes, on the playground, or in school, how will they ever fend off sexual predators? The issue runs deep, but if girls and young women know what sexual abuse, harassment and assault look like, they will have a better idea how to combat it, and more importantly, report it"
-Again, this feeds into victim blaming culture. I'm sure it's not conscious and something needs to be done while we change the culture around what/how men and women behave, but protecting our children is not enough. This looks in the wrong place.

Again, in Tit for Tat - a woman doesn't want to tell her experience to her friend because it will ruin the relationship between her and her friend and her friend and his friend - and I say, let it ruin relationships.

I also don't find it helpful to ruminate that if women ruled the world, they might perpetrate many more sexual assaults, but that is just me.

Liz DeBetta's chapter is the only one that mentions and only mentions intersectionality. I felt she understands the issue at a level I could get behind.

Interesting contributors and it's good to read to reflect on what the future should look like and how to get there. Also, it's not too many stories of assault and well balanced, so I had the mental space to think about how I feel about these issues.
Thank you Netgalley for a galley of this book, for review, all opinions are mine.
I am a advocate for #metoo, and i loved that this was written by both female and male experience. Its written about survivors from years ago, currently, and even by those who haven't experienced sexual abuse.  This book make us think and live through this issue through others who were strong enough to talk about it. We BELIEVE YO, ITS NOT YOUR FAULT, YOU'RE NOT ALONE, AND YOU CAN BE HAPPY AGAIN!
#MeToo is a collection of essays by different authors about the movement, their personal stories of sexual assault, harassment, and abuse. The stories are honest, painful and very hard to read sometimes, but every survivor who wants to tell their story deserves to be heard.

I think the book fails because it tries to include different discussions that are happening and it doesn't work well. I mean, the book is less than 100 pages and each essay switches the topic, the tone, and the message. I guess it can work as a quick 101 #MeToo class, but it didn't go well with me. It felt a little over the place. Yes, it is great that they put so quickly a resource about the movement, but it could be better.

I was not expecting to like, agree or sympathize with every single writer; there were some compelling arguments, heartbreaking stories and some why-they-included-this moments.