You Think It, I'll Say It

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 25 Jun 2018

I really enjoyed this collection! As usually happens with a short story collection, there were some standouts and stories I cared for less. I've already recommended this to my sister to kick off her vacation reading!
I'm a fan of Sittenfeld's, but not generally a fan of short stories. I'm happy to report that Sittenfeld has changed my mind - this collection of glimpses into the lives of ordinary people was wonderful. There is a common thread running through each - first impressions, assumptions, and judgments we make about the people who come in and out of our lives. I don't typically find such brief character studies effective or compelling, but I was quickly drawn into each of these stories. Terrific read!

've enjoyed Curtis Sittenfield in the past, and read that this collection of short stories had a lot of humor, so I thought I'd give it a go. Unfortunately, my shortcoming with written humor has come into play here.

Often when I'm reading I'll get a sad feeling from things that I guess are intended to be humorous. And in the first couple of stories I can't fault Sittenfield's eye for satire, but it makes me feel depressed! These female characters are fooling themselves and they pretty much know it, but go ahead with ill-conceived decisions anyway. I'm going to cut my losses and stop before I get any sadder. You may enjoy this book, but if you empathize...

See Full Review

"A suburban mother of two fantasizes about the downfall of an old friend whose wholesome lifestyle empire may or may not be built on a lie. A high-powered lawyer honeymooning with her husband is caught off guard by the appearance of the girl who tormented her in high school. A shy Ivy League student learns the truth about a classmate’s seemingly enviable life.

Curtis Sittenfeld has established a reputation as a sharp chronicler of the modern age who humanizes her subjects even as she skewers them. Now, with this first collection of short fiction, her “astonishing gift for creating characters that take up residence in readers’ heads” (The Washington Post) is showcased like never...

See Full Review
Curtis Sittenfeld has written a collection of satirical, insightful and entertaining short stories. Her characters, who are always intriguing and often quirky, are engaged in every day situations and react to them in ways which often challenge societal norms and expectations. Highly recommended. Thanks to Random House and NetGalley for the ARC.

Curtis Sittenfeld is oen of my favorite authors. I have been a fan since AMERICAN WIFE. I anxiously anticipate anything written by her. When I saw YOU THINK IT, I'LL SAY IT I was glad there was something new to read by Ms. Sittenfeld but a bit sad it was short stories. I do not read short stories but because of the author I chose to read these.

I enjoyed each and every story; stories about relationships, gender roles, careers, women. It is a fun and though provoking book of quick stories. A great book to have while waiting for an appointment, sitting in the car, on your lunch hour.

Can't say I am now a fan of short stories but I am still a fan of Curtis Sittenfeld and...

See Full Review
I'm not a huge short story fan, but I've really liked everything I've read from Curtis Sittenfeld, so I wanted to read this collection. It was fantastic. Each story is about a relationship in some form or another, and the things that could go wrong or right in those relationships. The stories were really engaging and sometimes cringe-worthy, and I really didn't want this book to end!

Short stories are not my thing. I’ve only really loved two short story collections in my entire life (Beneath the Bonfire and Why They Run the Way They Do). I can now make that three because I adored this collection…it’s unquestionably 5 stars for me! The three collections I’ve loved all have one thing in common: the stories have something idiosyncratic in them, but are otherwise about mundane life. The stories in You Think It, I’ll Say It are mostly about otherwise normal relationships that have a hidden element of unconventionality or an awkward incident. They’re normal situations that end up taking unexpected turns…they’re relatable, yet surprising. I was completely invested in the...

See Full Review
A sharply-written and insightful collection of stories from judgment to jealousy and beyond, with a focus on nostalgia and the past. Sittenfeld has a strong eye for human desires and interactions. I would definitely recommend.

This was… a really nice surprise. Literary short stories are not something I tend to reach for, but I loved this, and I want to thank my fellow reviewerLarry so much for recommending this collection and for constantly reviewing books that don’t seem like my thing but… end up being my thing?

All these stories are about incorrect
perception: of those around you, if yourself, of a situation. And they are so much fun.

This collection had an average rating of 4.0 for me, which is a result of an exact split: five three star stories and five five star stories. Let me explain myself: I think pretty much any story in this book could be rounded up or down to a four. They are all of high writing...

See Full Review
A delightful collection. Sittenfeld's prose has always been sharp, but the short form here makes it all too apparent just how talented she is.
4 stars.*

You Think It, I'll Say It is a book of modern short stories.

A genre I am typically mixed on, in this case, I adored it.  The common theme is human relationships, snap judgment and how characters of various backgrounds and gender.

Curtis Sittenfeld tends to choose protagonists that are white, well-educated, and at or approaching middle-age.  She deftly manages to tackle the sticky details of marriage and relationships without relying on cliche or making her characters trite or caricatures.

I'll definitely be looking for more of her work.

*ARC received from #netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
I couldn't imagine I would like another Curtis Sittenfeld book as much as Prep... but this collection of stories was every bit as compelling and well-written. And fun to read-- can I say that? when every character was a little bit broken and troubled. I can. Recommended.
This collection from Curtis Sittenfeld is full of moments. Small, tiny, slices of life - of moments, of a specific time and place and situation. A professor on a trip, a recently divorced man meeting a high school classmate, a high-powered attorney on her honeymoon. These are just...snapshots of moments.

And every single moment is fantastic. This will surely be on many 'best of' lists come December.

Each story is thoughtful and insightful in it's own way, but for me, the standout is The Prairie Wife. It's just......short story perfection.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this book.
Sittenfeld's collection of short stories has moments both serious and humorous, packing a punch in a short book. An enjoyable and compelling read.
Very good short story collection! I really enjoy Curtis Sittenfeld's writing. There is adult content in several of the stories. I would recommend this for mature readers.

There are some (wide ranging) political views expressed. I don't really care to have that in my fiction but in this case it was minimal

I really enjoy a book of short stories. Of course, most of the time, I tend to love a few stories and not really feel anything for the rest. That was not the case here. I really liked every story and felt they completed a circle with each ending. I did not feel as if I was cheated for the short amount of time each story took. The characters were all fully fleshed out in each tale and I totally got what each of them was feeling. From the woman who thought her game of You Think It, I’ll Say It was leading her into an affair to a lawyer meeting up with a woman from her old high school on her honeymoon, I truly understood where they were coming from. It is a fascinating read and I heard that...

See Full Review
It's very rare for me that I actually read a book of short stories and even rarer that I actually truly like and enjoy every single story within the collection. Curtis Sittenfeld manages to present fully developed stories, with realized, whole characters. I never felt like I was missing something or a story felt complete. While there were some characters I would have wanted to spend more time with, I never felt like there was a story that was in complete or a characters who was underdeveloped. It's an impressive feat that only Sittenfeld could pull off.
I truly loved this new collection of stories by Curtis Sittenfeld. I found so many of them to be deeply humorous, hyper-real portraits of adults confronting their own emotional "ugliness," - things like jealousy, envy, general malaise. I connected with this book so much, I read it in one sitting.
I think Curtis Sittenfeld writes wonderfully. I’ve enjoyed some of her past books.
This particular book is a collection of short stories (I should mention I don’t love short stories). They are based on controversial subjects. I only read a few of them. Although I still stand by my statement that she is a good author, I wasn’t interested in reading these. They were too crude for me. That is I think supposed to be the point, raw and gritty. It’s just not my cup of tea.

I received an incorrect edit digital proof an exchange for my honest review. I appreciate the publisher for giving me the opportunity to read it.