My Husband’s Lies

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Jul 2018

This was my first book by this author, and I can positively say that I really enjoyed reading this one. Its captivating. For sure I will be checking other books written by this author.
My Husband's Lies is a really fast paced read, it's one of those books that you can pick up on a dark, miserable Sunday afternoon and totally immerse yourself in. That's what I did, by bedtime, I'd read it all, every single twisting turning page.

One of Caroline England's real writing strengths is her ability to create totally unlikeable characters. I found very little of Bethany that I could either like or empathise with, yet she is quite beguiling to the reader. My Husband's Lies sunk it’s claws into me within the first couple of pages and refused to let go, so much so I almost managed to finish the book in one sitting. Intense and suspenseful, the story is an intricately woven web of lies and deceit.  England skilfully has several threads of sub-plot running simultaneously throughout the main story before being neatly tied up at the end.  The pace was kept flowing at top speed leaving the reader sitting on the edge of their seat.

A myriad of surrounding cast were great characters, multi-dimensional and full of depth.  I kept changing my mind over who to trust and who not to as the author led me along numerous wrong turns!  Cleverly plotted and written well the words just seemed to flow from page to page and I found myself immersed in Lisa and Nick's life.

This is a compelling insight into married life that will have you comparing notes with your girlfriends! Caroline England has a great future ahead of her!
If you enjoy Dramas with a thriller feel, with a fairly large cast of characters, then you will really enjoy My Husband's Lies.
You know that saying " Why need enemies when you have such friends ? ", this book made me feel that. The story is about childhoods friends, how are now married or in a relationship. The story starts with one of the women attempting suicide. From there it keeps spiraling out of control, spewing off conceited friendships, hidden agenda, selfish actions and psychotic episodes as well.

I do not want to like this story because I did not like any of the characters. All are malignant and cancerous pulling down everyone around them. I mean what happened to good ol' friendships !! And the worst part are the clueless partners. I mean surely they can't get away with all this disloyalty ! The first half was like a huge mess and towards the second half, the mess kind of filtered the extra mess and we were left with absolute disaster in the end, and I say it with a good intention. I did not expect that end though !
This is a book about lies, secrets, friendship, relationships, mental illness, affairs, and fighting sexual attraction.

There are quite a few characters to get familiar with. Some are married. Some have children. Some are trying for a baby. Some have issues with their parents. The one thing they all have in common ... they all harbor at least one secret and will lie and lie and lie to keep those secrets from being exposed to the light of day.
Excellent cast of characters - this novel kept me on my toes, there was a lot to take in, but also lots to enjoy!
wow this book had more twists than I have ever read and so many secrets its hard to talk about it with out gi9ving anything away. I really liked this book and am so glad that I had the chance to read it, thanks to Net Galley and Caroline England.
Twisty and turny. Told from different perspectives- this is a good read. I took 2 days to get through it because I couldn’t put it down. Well written and thought provoking.
This story is about 4 longtime friends (The A Team) Jen, Will, Dan and Nick along with their partners Ian, Penny, Geri and Lisa. Wills brother Seb and Dans brother Patrick as well as the parents and extended family members of the couples also play big roles in the book however I feel that it made this story very confusing and hard to get in to, introducing most of the characters right from the beginning of the book at Nick and Lisa’s wedding and then intertwining their lives throughout the book.

Jen, Will and Dan all live a life of history of deceit and lies while Nick struggles to find out about the lies he’s lived with his entire life.

While this book is written very well, and is a quite enjoyable book, there wasn’t enough suspense or twists for me and with trying to remember who was who and what their story was from chapter to chapter, it didn’t flow like I would have liked it to.

I thank Netgalley and Harper Collins for the opportunity to read and review this book for an honest review.
Thanks to netgalley for the ARC of this book.  It was an interesting read, even though I think there might have been a character of two too many - I had to keep track like nobody's business.  Recommended.
I'd like to thank NetGalley for giving my a review ebook copy of this book. There are quite a few characters in this book, so try to get them straight right from the beginning. I struggled with this book waiting for it to pick up, but it never really did. I continued reading because I was interested to find out how it ended. These characters are all quite different but 4 of them have been friends since childhood. I didn’t like the end, I felt life it left to many questions unanswered for sure.
This really is a book of two halves. I found the first half quite difficult to get into because there are so many characters and remembering who belongs to who is quite confusing. The relationships between this group of friends is quite fractured and I found it a bit depressing that within this group there were so many secrets and such disloyalty.
As I got into the second half of the book, reading in larger chunks (which also helped) I was able to sort out the various relationships and found the rest of the book quite fascinating. I still feel depressed about the way each partnership seemed to consist of a loyal, often unsuspecting partner and a faithless partner who invariably tried to make excuses for their lack of commitment.
Many thanks to Netgalley/Caroline England/Avon Books for a digital copy of this title. All opinions expressed are my own.
This one for me wasn't really my bag at all.
It was also filled with some truly awful individuals that I had great trouble feeling any sympathy for whatsoever.
I mean there were some normal ones as well but I have never seen so many selfish peeps all in one book.
I was frankly for the most part quite bored throughout and I only actually kept reading here because I was waiting for the other shoe to drop; newsflash it didn't.
I also found it quite hard going keeping the whole cast here straight in my head, it got quite confusing separating the characters as there were just so many of them to contend with.
This had actually quite a lot going on here hence me hoping there was going to be an upward tilt at some point.
At Its heart "My Husbands Lies" was for me a book about relationships and the tangled threads they can weave.
We deal here with the repercussions of these secrets, hidden attractions and downright deceitfulness, throw in some mental illness and its really just a cauldron of catastrophe waiting to explode dramatically.
And it does; though got to say when things finally reached their momentum here I was actually passed caring.
That shocking finale for me actually felt slightly anti-climatic in nature and I could see it coming a mile off.
On a side-note, I do think more could have been made with the Mother/Not my mother storyline I was disappointed that this was not expanded on and explored more fully.
So on reflection, as much as I wish otherwise this one wasn't quite to my taste; maybe it will be more to yours.
Thank you to the Publisher, Author and NetGalley for providing me with an ARC of "My Husbands Lies" of which I have reviewed voluntary.
All opinions expressed here are entirely my own.
How on earth did I leave it so long before i read this book?? I absolutely loved it!!! Whilst I did need to concentrate as to who was who, they each had an important part to play, and it had me gripped throughout!! So much so that i made excuses to avoid all human contact until I'd finished it!! Highly recommended!
I loved this book . Its your usual psychological thriller. Lies , deceit, twists, turns. I highly recommend this book. Look forward to reading more of her work.
There are times I loathe being a book blogger. It means you have to piece together your feelings for a book and how you like it and what you think other people will think of it and sometimes these things aren’t the same. I’m a cover girl. Covers play a HUGE part for me in picking a book, even though I read on a Kindle so the colour and sometimes the graphics are null and void. And so I leapt for this, what looked like a psychological thriller with some form of a murder/ suicide involved. It turned out to be more drama than thriller and left me a little disappointed. I have to admit the telling in present tense third person (as in ‘holding her breath, she crouches down’) put me off a little. It suited the start but then when I read on, I found it off putting, distancing me from what was going on, a group of people enjoying themselves at a wedding until it becomes clear that one of them is about to jump out of a hotel window.

The story itself is seemingly about Penny, who is having doubts about her husband. Given how I thought it would go from the blurb, I would have been happy had it continued with Penny’s story but from here on we are bombarded with characters. I’m a huge fan of character heavy books, but here there were so many and both in terms of voices (as in POV) and the actual dialogue there was just too much and I was confused pretty quickly. I had no descriptions to grab on to and so chose to go with ‘the pregnant one, the one having an affair’ etc. The characters were nearly all unlikable, and again I found myself very distanced from them. Reading may be about moving into another world but having so many people who showed no remorse for the pretentious way they acted just made me sigh. Every character had issues/a backstory which were sometimes sprang on you  and I have to admit at times I rolled my eyes with the introduction both of bad language (use of the ‘c’ word and people using the word piss and sh*t), abuse and drama that hadn’t been alluded to, though in hindsight for example with the mention of the church I should have known. The biggest issue was how well the author wrote, which I know sounds so weird after such an awful review (I honestly do feel bad), but the settings and the vocabulary used were fantastic and made me regret that it was a book I just didn’t warm to and I have to reiterate that others will love it.

Thanks so much to Netgalley and Avon for this book in return for an honest review

Rating: Unfortunately 2.5/5
OMG, this book had me gripped from start to finish. I could not put it down & managed to read the book over two nights!
The story is full of lies, deceit, twists & turns & the characters were well rounded & very believable.
I absolutely loved this book & would recommend it to anyone.
Sorry to say; I found My Husband’s Lies by Caroline England a struggle to read.....Usually after I've read the first few pages I am into a book but this one did not grip me, like other books I have read. I found this book hard to read and you were introduced to, too many characters who all played a vital part in this story. I got lost reading it on who they all were and it became confusing.

I received this book via Netgalley thanks to the publisher; Avon Books UK in exchange for an honest opinion.
You’d think I’d be sick of reading so many thrillers/suspense novels but NOPE. Keep them coming, authors! My Husband’s Lies by Caroline England sounds like just the right mix of suspense and intrigue with a hint of domestic life.

Told in alternating points of view, each person has well-hidden secrets and as the book moves on, slowly things are revealed.

Here’s the official synopsis:

On the afternoon of Nick and Lisa’s wedding, their close friend is found poised on a hotel window ledge, ready to jump.  As the shock hits their friendship group, they soon realise that none of them are being as honest with themselves – or with each other – as they think.

And there are secrets lurking that could destroy everything.

Makes you wonder about the people you know and what kind of secrets they hold close!
Thank you NetGalley and Avon Books UK for letting me read "My Husband's Lies" by Caroline England for an honest review.  All opinions are my own!  And I wasn't forced to leave a review!

My first time reading that author and I don't regret it.

It's well written, interesting, never boring, good flow...  I love how the characters are described, the first chapters to introduce them and different POVs... which could also be confusing at times.

It's about secrets...
I couldn't put it down, I found it intriguing, I read half of it last night and the rest today.

I give it 4 stars because I found it a little bit hard to follow at first, too many characters, it was a bit confusing.

Review shared online on NetGallet, Goodreads, Twitter, Amazon when published.