A Shine That Defies The Dark

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 13 Dec 2017

This is my romance book placed in the time of prohibition, and I haven't read any historical romance for quite some time, so this was a nice change of pace.
It was really, really good. I enjoyed from the very beginning to the end.
Great book from a new author.
Highly recommended!

A Shine the Defies the Dark takes us through a journey of a young girl during the era of prohibition. This was a engrossing read from the start and the more I read, the more I wanted to know what was going to happen to Ophelia and her mother. A few years back Ophelia and her mother were basically ran out of town, and now that they are back, they are treated horribly. Her mother is willing to do just about anything to put food on the table and a roof over their head. Ophelia has other things in mind and takes things into her own hands, only things don’t go they way she hopes.

Ophelia was a caring young girl, she loved her momma and I just adored her for it. She puts herself in some...

See Full Review

“I was running with bootleggers, my Momma was sleepin’ with a man in exchange for a roof over our heads, and I was falling crazy in love with a member of one of the most notorious families in Louisiana, who as it turned out, isn’t as bad as I’d always been led to believe.”

What a lovely surprise.  I almost didn't request this book because, honestly, the thought of young adult novel set during the Prohibition didn't really interest me... until I read the blurb.  Also, the gorgeous cover certainly helped!  And I am very glad I did - this is an amazing peek into life in southern Louisiana during Prohibition.

“Lord, how I had missed the bayou, I realized. Despite all of trouble my...

See Full Review