Let Me Lie

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 13 Apr 2018

Very disappointing. Mackintosh tries to be too clever and play too many games with her narration and the result is a book that goes in circles with underdeveloped, illogical characterization.
I have fallen in love with the author’s thrilling twists and turns! This one did not disappoint. More! More!
Great Book!! Anna has just lived through a couple of really hard years.  Both her parents have committed suicide within a year of each other, but was it really suicide?  Or is there something more going on?  This book is filled with twists and turns.
Another tantalizing read from Clare Mackintosh. On the anniversary of her mother's death, our protagonist receives a card that threatens everything she holds as truth. I could not put this thriller down. Let Me Lie spins a tale of love, money, and how far people will go to taste the sweet reality of freedom.
Big disappoint for me, especially after my first experience with this author-[book:I Let You Go|23125266]- was an easy 5 stars.

I found the protagonist annoying, the plot unrealistic, and the pace so slow I found myself skimming through chapters trying to find the high points. Even the ending couldn't save this one for me.

Others had responded more positively than I, so don let this review scare you off. I still have faith that my next venture with this author will have me singing her praises again.

ARC provided by NetGalley

When I read Clare Mackintosh's I Let You Go I was blown away by the middle of the book. Before I got there I found the story excruciatingly dull, but after the true intention of the book was revealed I was hooked, and read far into the night. So when I got an unexpected digital ARC of her new book Let Me Lie from the publisher I thought I would give it a go. . .

. . . but it was as mind-numbingly boring as the beginning of I Let You Go. Nonetheless, I read on, forcing myself to read a chapter at a time, assuming that Mackintosh had perfected the trick of putting your mind to sleep so that she could pack a wallop you weren't expecting. At some point I thought to myself, "I...

See Full Review
This is my first book by this author. I like books with twists and turns, but the red herrings in this book were too obvious. I like the writing style, but I still am distracted by the fact that even good writers and their editors do not understand pronoun agreement. It was misused throughout the book. Maybe I misread, because by the end of the book I was skimming through, but some things did not make sense. How did the police so quickly know to dig up septic tank? Anna noted the kind of car following them, Did she not know who did and did not own that make of car? The ending completely ruined the story. The author was trying to be way too clever!!

Let Me Lie by Clare Mackintosh tells the story of Anna Johnson whose parents have both supposedly committed suicide. Anna now has a baby and she has been trying to get her life back together. Her partner, Mark, is very supportive as well as her Uncle Billy and a family friend, Laura. The story opens close to the year anniversary of her mother’s death when Anna receives an anonymous card indicating that her mother did not commit suicide.

Anna is uncomfortable enough about receiving the card that she goes to the police and enlists the help of retired police detective, Murray. More terrorizing events unfold causing Anna to ask further questions about her parents’ deaths. She becomes more...

See Full Review
You can't help but continually guess and second guess (and third guess) when reading a Clare Mackintosh novel.  I have learned now, that I will never have it figured out, and just to sit back and enjoy the roller coaster ride.  while different in feeling from her earlier books, this one was just as unguessable, and just as enjoyable.
Fabulous book.  Thoroughly loved.  Highly recommend!
n some books, the reader has to make certain assumptions for the ultimate thriller experience. Mackintosh expertly leads the reader to these assumptions in her story of a young woman and the suicide of her parents. What if you couldn't believe that your parents committed suicide? Who would listen? Mental illness and domestic violence are  two serious issues addressed with an unnamed narrator. There are plenty of twists and turns right up to the very last sentence.

Copy provided by the Publisher and NetGalley
Anna is a young mother who has lived through the suicide of both her parents. Until one day when she begins to wonder if it was really suicide after all.  This is a mysterious book with many twist and turns. We have POV changes that move the story forward and as it progresses it is even harder to put the book down. A bit of a glum ending disappoints, but overall perhaps the author's best book so far.

3.5 stars.

A year after her mother and father have both committed suicide, first her father, then her mother, both jumping off the same spot into high tide, Anne is still reeling over how much she misses them and how her life has changed. On the anniversary of her mother's death, she receives an anonymous note making her think perhaps her parents were murdered, and then mysterious warnings that maybe she herself is in danger. She solicits help from the local police, a retiree taking special interest in her case.

If ever a book was built on lies, and there are so many such books these days, this one has lies from beginning to end. So many lies... and twists! I do love twists...

See Full Review
Mackintosh makes the reader think they've got the story puzzled out, and throws in a twist!  This book is a great thriller and will appeal to those who like to be surprised.
Many twists and turns to this intriguing story of love, lives, and loss.  A great read.
Twisty and misleading, just as good thrillers are supposed to be.  I did not see the end coming!  This author sure has a gift for pace, hiding clues and big surprises. Whole paragraphs can be read a certain way, and then mean something entirely different in retrospect.  Keep them coming!

Firstly, I'm going to apologize for how vague this review is going to be. This is for two reasons. 1) I don't want to give too much of the plot away, and 2) The very last line threw me for a complete loop and I need someone to talk me through it.

I've mentioned many times that while I love psychological thrillers with a passion, I am HORRIBLE at guessing twists. I am so easily impressed by mysteries and thrillers because I am consistently shocked. This book was no exception. I changed my mind about where the plot was going way too many times over the few days it took me to read LET ME LIE.

The 411: Anna Johnson is still reeling from the deaths of her parents the previous...

See Full Review
Multiple voices try to lead you through the multiple (multiple) lies as this story of a young mother's grief and deep suspicion comes to life.

Both parents committing suicide at the same exact spot seven months apart seemed a bit strange. Anna extremely missed both her parents but didn't know how much until a horrible reminder arrived in the mail.

This horrible reminder had Anna rethinking the possibility that her parents really didn't commit suicide but had been murdered. She never thought her parents would kill themselves and leave her without them.

Anna asked for the case to be reopened, and a retired policeman, Murray, was taking on the job.

No one knew Anna had asked for this case to be re-opened, but it sure seemed as if they did. Strange things started happening that even her husband dismissed. Was she in...

See Full Review
Clare Mackintosh has done it again! You will devour Let Me Lie in the same feverish way you (hopefully have already!) devoured I Let You Go. While her debut novel continues to outshine the others, this story of suspense, heartbreak, love and the forever bonds of family will keep you reading late into the night.
Many thanks to NetGalley for the preview.