Let Me Lie

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 13 Apr 2018

Omg this was f***ing spectacular. I’m sorry for the cussing be this was so good!

I’m normally not a fan of suicide based stories, but this hooked me. The twists were incredible, and the mother! Whooee. The mother. Gosh this was a damn weird of a book.

The female dynamics and relationships in this book were complex and creepy.

The last two chapters fell flat for me unfortunately.
Still a good book, but no, I Let You Go.  That was one of the best books, I recommend it to everyone.
The premise of this latest offering from Clare Mackintosh is completely enthralling, and the narrative told in alternative perspectives is mostly effective in its execution. Particularly at the beginning, however, the necessary vagueness of one narrative voice leads to confusion later in the story. The subplot involving Murray and Sarah is the novel’s strongest device and ultimately is the most intriguing. Their part of the story has untold emotions and multiple layers to explore. While the main thrust of the plot appears to be just as nuanced as this captivating subplot, it just doesn’t fully come together in such a way as to feel believable. It’s difficult to connect with any character (except Murray and Sarah) and motivations are often unclear, leaving the reader feeling at times confounded and, ultimately, unsatisfied.

first appeared on RT Book Reviews, March 2018
Clare Mackintosh does it again! We have read and reviewed three of her books and one is better than the next! Her talent for several crazy plot twists is fabulous! I finished this book in under two days.
I can't even imagine how Anna must have felt coming to the realization that maybe her parents deaths were not suicide. Her life was turned upside down with one letter. It read "Suicide, think again"! Now she's on a mission to get to the bottom of how her parents died and if someone else was involved.
But then she finds out some important information that makes her realize maybe it isn't such a good idea to pry anymore! Will her life be in danger? How about her beautiful little daughter, Ella? Wha will she do to make sure her family is safe?
TRUST NO ONE!!! 5⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ we loved it!
I find with a lot of thriller type books I can sometimes find myself getting bored with the formula that they follow.  However, Clare Mackintosh's books are an exception for me.  I did not expect the twists that occurred and found myself deeply engrossed in the book.  I could not put it down.  It was a bit of a slow burn leading up to these twists but once I got there I could not stop reading it.
Clare Mackintosh is quickly becoming a go-to thriller author for me.  I have read and enjoyed 3 of her books and I will continue to pick up what she writes.  This story follows Anna in her quest to discover what happened to her parents.  I enjoyed the way Anna's character was written.  It looked at the life and hardships a new mom faces and it was done well.  This time can be some of the hardest, yet must joyful moments that I don't think is often represented in fiction titles.  Mental health themes are also well addressed in the book.  It's hard to say much more so I suggest you just go in blind with this one and enjoy the ride.  It was a little slower than her other 2 books, but I didn't mind that at all.

* I received this book from the author/publisher in exchange for an honest review *
Thank you Netgalley and Publisher for this early copy!

Review:

What I Liked:

Writing. This is my first experience reading Mackintosh and I now know that I enjoy her writing style.

Characters. Mackintosh introduced us to multiple characters (I won't be naming them all because of spoilers!) which I grew to love by the end of the novel. It is hard to say who my favorite is, just that Anna, and Murray (the retired detective trying to help her) were both great characters.

Suspense. The novel had a slow burn/pace but that did not take away from the overall suspense. I felt the tension/suspense all of the way throughout the novel, and it was an enjoyable read!

Slow Burn. I struggled with the pacing in the beginning but as the novel went on I appreciated the slower pace. I felt that the focus on Anna, her child and husband, with the added in chapters, made the ending even more shocking and good.

Twists. This novel takes you on a ride all the way up until the end. A big revelation takes place midway through but it is the last 50 or so pages that shocked me. I did not see any of the reveals coming at all and I felt that Makintosh did a great job of crafting a unique ending.

I recommend checking out this mystery, it does have a slow pace but it worth the read.

Rating:

5 Stars Out of 5 Stars
Clare Mackintosh is a master os suspense and her newer book was so exception! I was on the edge of my seat the whole time reading this one. A definite must-read for thriller fans.
I was unable to finish this book. I normally find British suspense enjoyable, but this was ponderous and not exgaging.
I received a free ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is my second Clare Mackintosh book, and I have to say she is becoming one of my favorites. Her plots are face paced and keep you guessing. I definitely don't get bored as I'm reading. Her characters are well developed and always seem like someone you know. I love how you think you have just figured everything out, and boom, twist!

I recommend picking this up.
Let Me Lie was a terrific edge of your seat thriller. Although I figured out one of the major twists in the first half, the second major twist definitely came as a big shock! It actually made me want to reread the novel again to see how I missed it. Crisp writing and the pacing was spot on—I never felt the need to skim pages of lengthy descriptions. Highly recommend to fans of domestic drama and suspense novels.

Review posted on Goodreads and Amazon
Really enjoyed this thriller!  I loved the twists in here...and there were multiple.  Clare Mackintosh can really write a good plot twist.  The characters all had some flaws that made me not really trust them completely.  I loved the way it turned out and the action was exciting.  Solid thriller!
I recommend this to Melody Warnick on episode 39 of What Should I Read Next. I love her work, can't wait to see what she does next!
While I loved Clare Mackintosh's first two psychological suspense novels, Let Me Lie didn't have the same impact on me.

Clearly drawn from the story of the Darwins, this book is about a daughter struggling to come to terms with the apparent suicides of both of her parents, one after the other. Although the police are firm with her, she's not convinced her mother and father took their own lives. With a baby of her own to care for, Anna is dead-set on finding out the truth.

If only the truth had been more riveting? I'm not sure why this one didn't land with me, other than that it felt very soapy and melodramatic. I still think Mackintosh is more talented than most of the suspense writers out there today, and she puts together very intricate, tightly woven stories, but something was missing in this one.

By the end, I couldn't have cared less who did what, I just wanted it to be over. It was soooo slow, and it felt like there was tons of repetition. I much, much preferred her first two novels, and will still eagerly await her fourth!
Whenever I venture into any Clare Mackintosh novel, I know exactly what I am going to get and this one is no exception. A solid story, a little twisty, and just what you want out of a thriller. This novel didn't send me spinning or keep me up all night, but it was a solid thriller which I enjoyed.
Like Clare Mackintosh's other books, this one keeps you guessing until the end.  Even once you figure out what's going on, the ending still leaves you guessing.  Hoping for a sequel to explain.
LOTS of twists and turns in this one and by the time I finished I felt like I had ridden a roller coaster. And that last sentence--Hooboy!

Thanks to the publisher for the advance digital reading copy.
I am a big fan of Clare Mackintosh and she did not disappoint with this book. In this day and age of the "big twist" and the "unreliable narrator", Mackintosh stands out for me.

The author kept me with her on this ride and I went through several possible scenarios without ever being right.  I know some readers don’t care for endings such as the one in this story, but I have never shied away from them (deliberately vague)
Let Me Lie by Clare Mackintosh is one of those books that is so hard to describe without giving away too much. Anna is struggling with the first anniversary of her mother's suicide, one that came only a few months after that of her father. She can't understand why they would choose to leave her in this way, especially now that she is a mother herself. When she receives a card in the mail implying that her mother's death was not actually suicide, Anna latches on to the possibility that her mother didn't voluntarily leave her and is determined to solve her murder.

I keep typing and deleting my comments on this book because I really don't want to give away anything. It is so fun to read and so full of twists and turns and dark alleyways. Every character is suspect, every event seems true and false at the same time, every page turn a new clue.
Argh! I want to tell you so much more, but I just can't!

This book was fantastic and one of the best suspense novels I've ever read and I think you'll really love it, too.
I wanted to love Let Me Lie. I’ve read Clare Mackintosh’s other two books and loved them so I was excited when I heard about this book. The story is a slow burn, which isn’t a bad thing, but I didn’t find myself quickly turning the pages. I was expecting more from the plot and felt like it was a little too predictable for me. I will say that the twist at the end totally shocked me though! I actually went back and re-read some of the pages and then discussed what happened with other bookstagrammers. Clare has this amazing ability to shock readers with crazy twists and I always look forward to this aspect of her writing. She is an incredible writer and I will always read what she writes. Unfortunately this was my least favorite of her books, but that doesn’t mean that it’s not a well-written story.

Thank you Berkley Pub for the advanced copy and to NetGalley for the digital copy. It was my pleasure to write an honest review.