Moonshine

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 17 Jan 2018

Unfortunately this was not to my taste.  I made it to 20% and didn't really like any of the characters or plot.  I did however like the world-building.  It seems to be getting good reviews so far and so I hope it continues to find the audience it needs. I am just not part of it.

If you enjoy urban fantasy and "Thoroughly Modern Millie," you're in for a treat - Moonshine is the intersection of fantasy and 1920's culture you never knew you needed.
I really liked this book. It was creative and delightful. The characters were well-built and memorable (and minus all the illegal activity, the kind of people you'd want to hang out with). I felt like I got to grow and learn with Daisy Dell (our delightful heroine) and that was charming and wonderful. She's a real sweetheart caught up in the world of magic and speakeasies - and it was very satisfying to see how she learned to balance both while still remaining true to herself. Daisy is one of...

See Full Review

Daisy's starting a new job and stylish city life, but mage-hunters out for her dark magic threaten to destroy her vogue image.

In the flourishing metropolis of Soot City (a warped version of 1920s Chicago), progressive ideals reign and the old ways of magic and liquid mana are forbidden. Daisy Dell is a Modern Girl - stylish, educated and independent - keen to establish herself in the city but reluctant to give up the taboo magic inherited from her grandmother.

Her new job takes her to unexpected places, and she gets more attention than she had hoped for. When bounty hunters start combing the city for magicians, Daisy must decide whether to stay with her new employer - even if it...

See Full Review

This book was not what I was expecting, and that's a good thing. I genuinely thought this was an alternate, historical fantasy that would take place in 1930's USA. What I got was a fantasy world with as much magic as any other high fantasy world, but with prohibition era aesthetics. It was really cool!

The world is incredibly interesting and I want to know more about it. I greatly appreciated the difference in approach between Mr. Swarz and Daisy. His academic, political views of the world versus her aesthetic, social perspective really helped to flesh out the world. She's more likely to note the combined uses of magic and ogre technology where he is more likely to note the...