Honeybee

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Apr 2018

Unfortunately, I didn’t enjoy this poetry collection. I couldn’t connect with the story emotionally, and every poem touched on the same topic and emotion. I really enjoyed the poems about her sexuality but otherwise, this poetry collection didn’t do anything for me. I think the poems would have been better if they had more reflection and complexity in emotion and word choice. Right now they kind of just read like the “woe is me” poems that dramatic teenagers write.

“I read somewhere that it’s okay to miss people
even if you don’t want them in your life anymore;
and I hope that’s true. I hope everything I feel is okay.”

This is my first collection of poetry by Trista Mateer, and it makes me want to go out and read her other collections as soon as possible. I’ve been going through a phase where I dislike poetry focused on love/heartbreak, so I went into this collection a bit apprehensive – but wow. Through her poetry, Mateer creates a captivating story that is raw and honest. I felt like I was talking to a friend, like I was experiencing the relationship, the breakup, and the aftermath with her. It was also refreshing to hear the voice and...

See Full Review
This is the first time I read any of Trista's poetry, but I'm so glad I did.
Sure, her poetry is not in any format most people are accustomed to, but that's actually why I loved it.
I loved the little photos/images inside the book - simple, sweet, delicate. I felt it went with the fragile and vulnerable tone of the book.

Her poems explore her own sexuality, her experiences with loss, loss, grief, and identity. It's modern poetry that reads like words tucked away, hidden on random pages of a forgotten book in the library and I loved this about it. I loved how random, thoughtful, sentimental,and raw some of the poems were.

I'm really sad to say, but I didn't enjoy this poetry collection. It felt very repetitive, and there was something about the style of poetry that stopped me from completely connecting and understanding the emotions Mateer was trying to show she was feeling. A part of me feels I may be distancing from this style of poetry, which is a shame, but the more I write my own poetry the more disconnected I feel.

The poems I enjoyed tended to be the ones revolving around her bisexuality and the way her family, and ex girlfriend/ex boyfriends, responded to her identity. I think that's really the only thing that stopped me from giving this collection a 1 star review. I really do think...

See Full Review

I enjoyed this little book of poems that flowed together to tell the story of a broken heart. The interesting thing about novels (or in this case, a memoir of sorts) in verse is that there are fewer words used to tell a full story. They have to be the right ones.

In the case of Honeybee, I could feel the many tangled sides of a broken heart: the loneliness, the heartbreak, the sadness, the desperation, the absolute anger, the hatred. This relationship isn't just complicated because people fall apart, but seemingly because of biphobia, as well. Everyone, including her former lover, seems to think that she just needs to meet the right guy or find God or something, not understanding her...

See Full Review
I don't often read poetry books but I really enjoyed this one.I felt the MC's hurt and struggle with being part of the LGBTQ+ community. She loved a girl but the girl she loved was bound to her faith and was instead looking for a man. The poems were not in the typical format either, some were in short paragraphs which were still enjoyable to read. I'll definitely read more from this author.

I liked this more than I expected. Usually, poems about heartbreak or losing and healing in that way don't really connect with me, but I really liked reading this. Maybe because it felt more like one story painted with images and metaphors than individual pieces all wanting or needing to be profound in their own way. Kind of like the inside of a diary, if you naturally write in prose.

The style did feel really different than what I'm used to. Less.. Less poetic? The flow was different. The poems were longer. There are also fewer pieces I highlighted and I think it will stay with me in a different way. Not the words or the poems or maybe even the feeling of them, but...

See Full Review

Wow! All I can really say is wow.
I read this book in an hour, literally. I’m kind of speechless so I’m just going to dive right in. Every poem fits together to make a story, it captured my heart and etched each word into it. This poetry book was filled with so much heartbreak yet at the end, the author managed to show a light at the end of the tunnel. Which I’m glad because I feel so connected with each and every poem like I was there going through it all, knowing exactly the hurt and pain, without truly knowing. If that makes any sense?
Some poems were so very simple yet heart wrenching, reeling me in like a fish on a rod. The emotion radiated onto me and I just don’t know what to...

See Full Review
I am a poetry reader and reading Mateer for the first time. I loved this book, the poems and writing is very casual but still strong. Even the names/headings of some poems were bang on. I have many highlighted lines in this book.
I am not a native English speaker but still felt the echo of the emotions propagated through me. Would definitely read Mateer's poems again.

I liked this collection, but I definitely did not love it. And to be completely honestly, I only fault this collection because it did not satisfy my own personal taste.

First of all, I would like to say that I think Trista Mateer is a very talented poet; however, I think because majority of these poems were inspired by her bitter breakup with her ex-girlfriend, the book as a whole left me feeling like she was obsessed. Was she? Who knows. Probably not but that's how it read to me. I felt overwhelmed 15% in because it was just too much for one book.

I couldn't really appreciate the other impactful messages she was trying to convey because there was a lot written about her ex...

See Full Review

This was good. Astounding, actually. It’s so different to what is currently out there and it really makes it stand out from the crowd. The emotion that comes through in this one is thick, intense and unrelenting in all the best ways. It broke my heart and reminded me of years gone by, but in a good way. I don’t know how poems can break my heart in a good way, but these certainly did. They’re excellently written, blunt and written with purpose and masses of emotion. The intensity of the poems is fantastic, and there are several in which I’ve bookmarked to go back to later - for reasons scaling from I resonated with them to I really liked them.

I think this is an essential book of poetry to...

See Full Review

There was a lot that I loved about this book, and a lot that I didn't love. I found the story in whole to drag on quite a bit, but when I looked at it one poem at a time I enjoyed it a lot more. Some poems I completely fell in love with, and those simple illustrations really made this book something special. I think personally for me, this is the type of poetry book that I would enjoy most if I picked it up, randomly turned to a page, read the poem, and put it back down until next time. I will still be on the lookout to pick up a copy for myself, and I am excited to check out this authors other work.

I received a digital copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange...

See Full Review
The overarching story of losing love and counting down to the ex's wedding gets to be a bit much by the end, but I still loved many of the poems.
I was not a fan of these poems. The one redeeming quality I see is that they talk openly about being bisexual and the bias that both the straight and the LGBTQ community still have towards bisexual people.

Honeybee is a collection of poems about love, loss, and the aftermath of heartbreak. Each poem is equal parts petal-soft and bitterly sad. Trista Mateer has a really lovely writing style. Every line is meaningful and important. As the reader, one can feel the sorrow and pain that give weight to her writing. 'Tenderness in Brevity' and 'The Baker's Lament' were two of my favourites.

However, I felt that her poems lacked a distinct style, and read more like prose. I think Mateer is a brilliant writer, but I often couldn't find the poetry. I was bothered, too, by the privilege Mateer seems to take for granted. The author suggests that traveling abroad, or moving...

See Full Review
I have been loving short form poetry lately and this book was such a impactful one to add to my repertoire. The poems are both full of pain and healing and I felt connected to the author while reading them. Though a quick reach this is one that I think will stick with me for a while.
Enjoyable! I wouldn't rate this a 4 but it was very close. I really fell in love with some of the writing and I look forward to more from this author.
I loved the visual aspects of this book however the poetry style unfortunately wasn't for me and I did not finish it. Thank you for the opportunity :)
THIS WAS BEAUTIFUL.
This was a poetry book all about heartbreak. I normally feel like I can’t relate much to heartbreak, but this was written so WELL that I felt myself caught up in the words and felt how heartbreaking it is. The writing was so beautiful! I found myself absolutely wrapped up in this, which doesn’t happen a lot with poetry. But I was captivated. It read as so raw sometimes that it almost hurt me. I highly recommend if you’re looking for beautifully written poetry about heartbreak and how people just don’t get it sometimes.

I was given this E-ARC by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Over the past year, I’ve been more inclined to read poetry along the lines of r.h.Sin and Rupi Kaur. Trista Mateer can definitely fall into this category of poets who truly write from experience and hit topics such as love, loss, letting go, and reclaiming of self. Honeybee is one such documentation.

One thing I love about this book is that it doesn’t conform to any one pattern of poetry. There is no rhyme or reason, but it’s free. It can transform into anything, whether it be one sentence or a whole a page. It’s something that you can tell that it’s just one piece of a larger story and that you’re just seeing a piece...