Honeybee

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Apr 2018

I was interested in reading this collection because I loved the cover, I'm not going to lie to you. I was sold on this collection as soon as the author mentioned Andrea Gibson, who has moved me to tears on more than one occasion. I was utterly convinced as soon as I read the first poem.

This collection is such a journey. It could be read on multiple levels. At face value, it's the story of someone really not handling a break-up. On a deeper level, this is a story of healing, of changing, and of holding onto some of the past because it's not realistic to expect to let go.

Poetry is such a subjective thing, it's hard to anticipate how someone else will read them, and...

See Full Review
This was a beautiful and heartfelt book about having a broken heart. Anyone who has experienced even a mild broken heart can relate.
In a similar vein to Rupi Kaur but with much more of a sense of humour. Yes, some of the poems feel a little like MySpace entries, but because some of them have such a charming and witty voice speaking them it's easy to let that go. The poems on finding a Bisexual voice were particularly touching.

For me, poetry books need to be Rupi Kaur style or I just don't get into them. Now before the whole poetry scene comes flooding into my inbox to tell me how much I am missing out on poetry..I get it. I know there are amazing poetry books and that I am likely missing out on some great works, but I have higher standards for my poetry readings than for say, YA apocalypse books, and I am a-okay with that.

With that said Honeybee has me missing an ex that I don't even have.
I had low expectations of this book. Not because of anything the book did but simply because of the amazingly moving poetry of Rupi Kaur style writing I have read recently. Honeybee surpassed every notion I had of...

See Full Review

At first, I was a little put off by the repetitiveness of the poems, and wondered when I was going to read about something other than this one person. But then I got over that and really started to love the poems. Some of them I thought were clever and even made me chuckle, like "Another Obligatory Poem Comparing A Girl To Something Consumable," "I Have A Postcard Mouth," and "So That's About It." Some I thought were beautiful and heart-wrenching, like "Hands In The Sun," "Untitled," "Leftovers," "How I Asked You To Stay," and "What I Would Tell You If I Were Not Stubborn." Lines like "My heart barely...

See Full Review

My review will be posted on May 25th 2018 on both my blog and goodreads. Here is my review:
I was scrolling through net-galley to see what arcs I wanted to request when I stumbled across this one. The description peaked my interest so I requested and to my pleasure, got accepted. I am so glad I did.

I read this book in one sitting, on the coach to college and then in my psychology class because I couldn't put it down. This poetry collection deals with heartbreak so honestly and raw that anyone who's dealt with the loss of love can relate to. Not only were the poems able to connect with the audience but they were also beautifully constructed and vividly descriptive. I struggled...

See Full Review
I enjoyed this book overall, but I wasn't blown away by it. There wasn't much poetic tone and many of the poems seemed the same with slight tweaks. There was a lack of development throughout the book. The poems didn't reflect growth, only repetitive dwelling.

First poetry book of 2018 and I'm blown away. If this is a peek of poetry I'm going to read this year, then bring on the poetry because, man this book is amazing.
Trista poetry style paints photos of life with such a bright, truthful way that I couldn't stop reading. I read this book all in one setting because in a way it kinda reads as a story being told. I enjoyed the mix of different lengths of poems. There are one-liners to long poems. There are a few poems that made my heart hurt because of the truth in them and because knowing that this is still things people have to go through. She writes with such fact and passion.
My favorite poems in this book are "On...

See Full Review
Read the whole thing in one sitting. These poems epitomize many of the emotions I underwent during my younger years as a woman in love. The pain and questioning and heartbreak is relevant and relatable whether the reader is LGBT or not. I found it interesting how the author was able to combine the questions of her sexuality with her feelings of loss in her relationship with this one woman. A wonderfully emotional book.
While this isn't my favorite collection of poetry I've ever read, it definitely had its moments. It read, to me, more like a short story or collection of diary entries. Which, I didn't exactly mind, but as far as poetic goes, this didn't hit all the right spots for me.
Having said that, as a collection of stories, they were emotional and I did enjoy the book overall.
*2.5
I thought this collection was okay, I did enjoy it to some degree I just did not receive that gut punch I was looking for. I did receive an episode of Girls. It's okay at the beginning but towards the end I really just wanted to stop reading because it was a cycle I could not see the narrator breaking free from.
Finished this poetic exploration of grief and sexuality in one sitting.  While I feared that a book of poems about a former lover might seem whiny or self-indulgent, I was impressed with the tenderness of the narrator.  Through a series of short, connected poems of many forms, the speaker explores her own sexuality, remembers the good times and bad with her former lover/best friend, and tries to forgive herself and her ex.

As an eighth-grade teacher, I find the text too mature for a whole-class study, but would recommend it to individual students. Language is very sensual, with repeated sexual innuendos.
This book was absolutely beautiful. A book of poetry about heartbreak and love from a bisexual woman who couldn't let go. Or took a long time to let go. She moved away, stopped talking to her and still couldn't keep the poems from flowing. They were all wonderful and I loved it.
Heartbreak and healing are central to this poetry collection, ultimately resulting in moving on. Definitely recommend for fans of Milk and Honey.
I am not usually a fan of poems but these where beautiful, tender, heart breaking.
I found it hard to stop reading.
I read this book in one day.  That is the best way to read it, to get the full effect

What I Liked

This poetry collection is filled to the brim with emotion. Every poem you can see that Trista Mateer is writing from her heart and it is beautiful. Even though her words are beautiful and they are both filled with pure joy and deep sadness. You can feel the ebb and flow of her emotions even when the poem is a mere line or two. For me this is a must when I am reading a poetry collection. Another must for me is that I am forced to stop and think. A poem needs to invoke reflection and some type of thought. This could be internal or just thinking about what the author who penned the work truly went through. Honeybee achieved this as well.
Another thing I liked was the fact that...

See Full Review

Unfortunately the contents of Honeybee aren't exactly up to par with that pretty cover. I went into this knowing nothing except that it was a poetry book, and was disappointed to find that it's not even really poetry at all?? I'm not sure what to even describe the writings as-- there's no stylistic elements, or anything even moderately reflective of a poetry style. It wasn't even in that "hitting-enter-after-every-word" tumblr-esque format. It was just paragraphs of words?? It felt very much like reading somebody's journal entries rather than a work of poems.

I did like that a few poems centered around the author identifying as bisexual and the...

See Full Review
This book of poetry will remind you of every breakup you ever experienced. I read this in one sitting and was carried through the entirety of a relationship that felt doomed from the beginning.

I think this would be a good book to refer people to who are going through a difficult breakup. If you enjoyed the truth and raw honesty of Kaur's Milk and Honey you will certainly enjoy this.
This book was marvelous and it puts a new author under my radar.
Honeybee is more than a pretty poetry book, it's a journey. A journey though someone heartbreak that make you change.
So many moments will make you smile with sadness in your eyes, so many others are just screaming pure honesty.
A book to read and read again over and over.
Interesting format and I can for sure think of more than a few people this collection of poems would be good for. The writing style is very natural, but also quite repetitive. While this fits with the theme of the ongoing struggle of remembering a lost love, it became a little too repetitive at points.