Welcome To Sortilege Falls

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 18 Dec 2017

A Great read. Well written, with a great plot and characters. I was sucked into this book on page 1. Absolutely loved this book and can't wait to read more of this series. I voluntarily read and reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book from Netgalley.
Title: Welcome to Sortilege Falls - Grape Merriweather Book 1
Author: Libby Heily
Publisher: Melange Books Fire & Ice Young Adult
Date of Publishing: December 18, 2017

This book given to me by NetGalley and Melange Books Fire & Ice Young Adult
 in exchange for my honest review.

Following her father's death, Gapes mother moves to Sortilege Falls.  Taking Grape and her brother to a new town, new school and a community enthralled with seven of their own.  Called "The Models" these seven or beyond beautiful,  they are perfect and everyone in their company will do anything to make the happy or be a part of their live.  No matter how rude and obnoxious they are.  The longer Grape is in Sortilege Falls the more she notices the strange behavior of its residents.  Then she learns things that magic has a hold on the town and people are not as they seem.  When the models start to fall ill and die, Grape umps on to find the answers before her friend, Mandy becomes the next victim..

A suspenseful fantasy series brought to life with interesting, well developed characters and a fast moving story line that I believe will hold the interest of readers from all ages.  Ms. Heily has created a town filled with the refugees of a warring parallel world and unsuspecting residents.  To find out the truth could cost them their lives adding even more suspense to the story.  Book 2 - "Wrong Side of the Rift is also available to reader, with book 3 coming soon.  I can guarantee you'll never look at a Garden Gnome the same way ever again.

I gave "Welcome to Sortilege Falls - Grape Merriweather Book 1" a 4.25 out of a total of 5 stars.
I tried! I really did. It had an interesting premise. This is one of the first book I did not finished in a long time. I just did not like the writing style. In the end I could not make myself interested in the characters or story.
This was a DNF for me. I tried to read it, didn't like it,put it down and never went back to it.  I am sorry because I really hate to DNF a book, but it happens.
This book was painful to finish. I was confused most of the book. The characters were super shallow and obsessed with beauty.  I skimmed through to the end of the book
*This book was received via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review*

I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this book! Wen I first requested it from Netgalley I thought it sounded interesting but I was a bit dubious that it wouldn't live up to my expectations; thankfully it not only met but exceeded them. The main character Grape was interesting albeit angsty teenager who recently moved to Sortilege Falls. After the move she soon notices that the town is strange especially the compelling nature of the 'models' of the town who are supernaturally beautiful. Not only this but her brother Brad is acting strange and spending a lot of time in the woods.

Now onto what I enjoyed the most. I found the plot intriguing with many twists and turns I wasn't expecting; in fact the book itself took a turn I wasn't expecting. The ending was also a surprise and I found it so interesting that I ended up buying the sequel so I could find out what happens next in this promising new series. Grape also acted as a good narrator throughout the book. Overall, this was an incredibly interesting read that left me wanting more.
I have to admit that I quite enjoyed the start of this series and look forward to reading more. Luckily, as a teen book, it's great for kids with advanced reading levels as it's also a pretty "clean" book in terms of swearing, sex, or violence (the things I warn my readers of). The only thing I wasn't fond of is that the pacing felt a bit off. The first half of the book was fine, maybe a tiny bit on the slower side but not by much. The last bit of the book went very quickly and left me wanting more. Luckily for me, I have the next lined up to read as well but consider yourself forewarned!

I would like to thank the publisher, author, and Netgalley for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Welcome to Sortilege Falls is about Grape, who just moved to this town. For some reason there live a lot of beautiful humans, who are all models,  in this town, and all the other inhabitants are obsessed over them. As soon as Grape moves into this town all these Models start to get sick.
And the reason why was so weird.
The beginning of the story really interested me, that was until the point were you learned why everyone was obsessed over the beautiful people. But then the book lost my interest, and started to get weird.
I think this is a nice kind of contemporary story with a twist, I just don´t enjoy those kind of books.
I enjoyed reading this book. The twists and turns were in the right places. All I have to say is......gnomes. There was both levity and sadness. The seriousness of obsession gone too far. The extent people will go for idol worship, especially parents/adults. When you play with fire, you might get burnt. And the selflessness of a young man that ends it all....until the next book....Happy Reading!
Fellow bookworms, I have a confession to make. Sometimes, I request books from NetGalley and I don't even read the book summary. After reading this book, I believe that I should probably start doing that. Because this YA series just wasn't my cup of tea. The teens in this story were so shallow and that included the main protagonist, Grape. Good looking people are dying and apparently it is the fault of a bunch of gnomes.Oh and a vampire makes a cameo.

Let this be a lesson to me.
What on Earth did I just read?
When I started out in the beginning of this novel I had high hopes because it seemed to be an interesting read, however the author pulled in so many elements from different book genres it left me super confused.

A quick tldr of this book is that it follows the story of a girl named Grape who moves to a town where everyone is enamored with these beautiful teenagers who live there. However there are some secrets going on that makes everyone like these teenagers so much.

First off there were so many plot holes and the flow of the writing was way off. Also the author sometimes put sooo much detail into sections that had no need for it. An example, every single meal that Grape are was analyzed in depth down to the cheesiness if the French onion soup. (Yes that actually happened). I just felt like this book was a mix of fantasy, mystery, contemporary and it was poorly executed so that when I finished reading the book I was scratching my head bewildered at what I just read.
No one has ever met a girl named Grape, and Grape has never met anyone like The Models. She is a confident, self-assured teenager who gets a verbal sucker-punch on her first day of school. Already reeling from the recent death of her father and a move to a new town, it was the last thing she expected.  The Models are also the last thing she was expecting. They are ethereal to the point of suspicion and they dominate the town. Pie-eyed adults and kids alike give The Models anything they want. One of them, Mandy, decides she likes Grape, and thus the story begins. Garden gnomes litter the town and something isn't right in the woods behind Grape's house. The Models are getting sick and dying at an alarming rate. The adults know something but no one is talking. Why does Grape's brother spend so much time in the woods? Is that a really dorky man trying to befriend her, or is he a vampire? Why can The Models say and do anything they want without repercussions? Wait, did that garden gnome move? It's up to Grape and a cast of eccentric, oddball characters to right the wrongs before anyone else dies. I enjoyed every minute of this book. In the sci-fi/paranormal world of teen novels, it can get repetitive and dull. There is nothing dull in the world of Sortilege Falls! This tale is so outrageous and fun it's like nothing I've read before. I'm off to buy the second book and see what Grape and her friends get into next.

*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review, all opinions are my own.
Everything about Sortilege Falls is strange. The woods with trees and wildlife unknown, the boys and girls at school ignoring a new student and a group of teens, known as the Models, so beautiful it seems otherworldly. When Grape (what a name, right?) and her family moves to the small town she doesn't know that her life is going to change dramatically and that she will loose a family member. In the end I'm left hoping that Grape will find a way to make things right and I can't wait to read the next book. I chose to read this book and all opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased. Thanks to NetGalley and Melange Books Fire and Ice Ya!