Wrong Side of the Rift

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 18 Dec 2017

This is a really great series that I had enjoyed so much!! There was so much action, plot, drama, and everything in between! Lately I've been in a reading rut, but this was one of the books that really made me want to read more and more!!!
Great read. Well written, with a great plot and characters. This is the 2nd book in the series. I loved this one as much as the first. It ended way to soon. I can't wait to read more in this series. I voluntarily read and reviewed an Advanced Reader Copy of this book from Netgalley.
The Wrong Side of the Rift by Libby Heily is the 2nd book in the __ series. It’s a fantasy read and talks about how Grape Merriweather tried to save his brother, Brad. While solving the mystery about his brother’s disappearance, she discovers a lot more about who she really is and where her family came from.
This is the first book that I’ve read in the series. I didn’t even have any idea that this was a sequel to another book until I started reading it. Most of the later parts of a series provide introduction on what the series is all about but there was no introduction whatsoever in this book. I was lost in the first half of the book. I felt that I was reading words but not taking the meaning in. I had no idea what was happening. I know I may be at fault for reading this without reading the first one but the book should be more welcoming to new readers.
Grape was meh. Yes, she loves his brother which was already missing. But I think she’s too driven by her emotions. She doesn’t pay attention to the small details that may be important in some time later. She lashes out to Mandy and everyone else without even thinking. She doesn’t even trust her best friend and chose to ignore her. I didn’t even like her that much but thankfully, I kind of got the hang of the story when I started reading the 2nd half.
I think some parts of the story are just too superficial. I get that some people actually worship someone gorgeous but to the extent that they fight over being beautiful really got me thinking, “why?” I don’t really know why but I didn’t find the story very promising. I was expecting a lot from it because I’m a big fan of fantasy books. I was disappointed.
Overall, I rate the Wrong Side of the Rift by Libby Heily 2 out of 5 stars and I STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you take the time to read the first book first in the hopes that you’ll like it more than I did.
Great second book in the series. I enjoyed it just as much as the first one. Couldn't stop reading and the book ended way too soon. I hope to read more about Grape Merriweather soon. I chose to read this book and all opinions in this review are my own and completely unbiased. Thanks to NetGalley and Fire and Ice Young Adult Books!