Mask Beneath Her Face

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 08 Jan 2018

This may well be the beat horror book i have read in a long time.
The action starts straight away and doesn't let up. Maybe not one for anyone squeamish as there is a fair amount of blood and gore through out but i absolutely loved it and it will be a book i will read again.
Rafael Chandler is an author to keep an eye out for.
If you enjoy good old fashioned slasher films then this book is a million percent for you!
Highly highly recommended :-)
Mask Beneath Her Face may not be for everyone. It’s extremely violent and unapologetically gory. But it’s a wonderfully imaginative and unique homage to 80s slasher flicks and if you’re a fan of these you’re going to gobble this up. I’m a huge fan of Stephen King and in my humble opinion this is unequivocally King-worthy. But, if you decide to try this, be sure to read it during the day. Preferably in the sun. With lots of people around. And wear running shoes, ‘cause you know...just in case.
"This isn't a life. It's an EKG with the peaks pulled down and the valleys pushed up. Every day I get closer to a flat line."

This is one unusual horror novel. Put your preconceptions in the cupboard and prepare to be disconcerted.

The (maybe) starting point for the story is 1980s slashers, the ones that get talked about around campfires - the ones with machetes or sickles or axes. Blood, guts, and gore. The main characters in the story all have slasher murders in their past that they survived.

I'm not going to tell any more details. You should go into this tale not knowing what's around the next corner. It's weird, it's different and I liked it a lot.

It reminded me in some areas of DASTARDLY BASTARD by Edward Lorn. And that's a good thing.

I received this book from the author through Net Galley in the hopes that I would read the book and leave an unbiased review.
OMG!!!!! This book is something else. I loved it! The story involves past and present friends. I loved the way the storyline came together. This book has it all. Gore, suspense, thrills, it is all here. This book grabs you from page one and does not let go. Thanks to NetGalley, the author and the publisher for the ARC of this book in return for my honest review. Get this book now!!!!!
Back in the 1980s serial killers were terrorizing America slashing their way through college campuses, quiet suburbs, and lakeside cabins. Bobbi Metzger was sixteen at the time when a killer slashed their way through Bobbi’s birthday party leaving her the lone survivor on that fateful night.

Now, thirty years later, Bobbi has spent decades trying to pull her life together and recover from that horrific night. Always on the lookout Bobbi just knows that the horror is still out there and will come for her one day. Little does Bobbi know that now she’ll have to face a new killer that is determined to open a doorway to an abyss of unimaginable horror.

Mask Beneath Her Face by Rafael Chandler is definitely not for the faint of heart as this one is straight up gore and mayhem from the opening pages. The author has taken the idea of those slasher films of the eighties and gone a step farther with the survivors bringing them once again to the brink of bloody mayhem.

After finishing this book I had one of those what the heck did I just read moments?? But in this case that was a good feeling as the story while reminding me of the old slasher movies also took on a life of it’s own instead of feeling like other things already out there. This one would be for those that were fans of things like Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm St and just didn’t get enough with the multiple films and want to go one step further.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley.
During the 1980s, slashers terrorized America. With machetes and masks, these unstoppable killers stalked college campuses, quiet suburbs, and lakeside cabins.

Thirty years ago, Bobbi Metzger survived a massacre at her 16th birthday party. She spent decades putting her life back together.

Tonight, Bobbi will face a new killer: a high-tech slasher hell-bent on opening the doorway to an abyss of unimaginable horror.

How long can Bobbi survive this nightmare? What will she do to protect the people she loves? How much blood is she willing to spill?

My thoughts:
We all know the rules for surviving a killer,but not just any killer a slasher, but sometimes people forget those rules, will this book makes you remember those rules that's there to save your life: Rules like don't drink and do drugs, don't trust anyone , never go alone , and the biggest one that you have to go to remember is :Never, ever, under any circumstances assume the killer is dead." This brings to mind all those rules , and has the feeling of an slasher movie, so if your want to know more pick it and read it for yourself. Because after reading this I'm sticking to the rules. With that said I want to think NetGalley for giving me the opportunity and change to read and review Mask Beneath Her Face.
( Note: Remember the rules and live , forget and you die,  trying to rewrite the script  has a 50 / 50 change of making it out alive)
Rules in case you forget:
1:Never Assume The Killer Is Dead

2: Never Stand At The Back Or The Front, And Don't Split Up

3::Ignore Mysterious Noises Coming From The Next Room

4:Don't Have Sex, Don't Do Drugs, Don't Drink Alcohol

5:Never Say "I'll Be Right Back"

6: Don't trust anyone but yourself ( of course that goes against rule 2 but that's up to you to decide if you trust them or not)