Burn Bright

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 Apr 2018

I am going to keep my review about this book short and sweet for once in my life. The story in itself was great, I was engaging, suspenseful, and at times, heart-breaking. Charles and Anna’s relationship continues to blossom into some more beautiful with each book.

But the revelation that has sparked the fires for readers of both the Mercy Thompson series and the Alpha and Omega series has literally thrown me for a loop. Bran’s feeling toward Mercy. Yes, it was short and sweet passage of a conversation, but something feels completely off about it. Bran has always been portrayed as a father figure for Mercy. Daughterly love, etc. But this. This one passage has me questioning everything...

See Full Review
WOW. Big fan of Patricia Briggs!

But I gotta say that I felt things dragged in Burn Bright, even though I loved the introduction of the wildings and the deeper back history on more of the characters, and still, it is a series of pivotal events, including the flash forward into the next series of events that will keep the Mercyverse on its toes.

But still love the world building and these amazing characters from this and connected series!!
Love this latest entry in Briggs' great series, Alpha and Omega. Recommending to all fantasy book lovers! The characters are what really hold the series at the top of the list. If you love great characters that really make you care about what happens to them, this series is a great one to look for.  The series is best understood when read in order. This fifth entry in the series is very strong addition to the series.  You won't be disappointed if you give it a try.
I am very torn on this one. Let me explain : on one side, A&O are one of my very favorite series, on the other, I don't really like slow burn and Burn Bright felt that way to me. Don't get me wrong, it is still a good read by Patricia Briggs but I have to admit I am somewhat disappointed that we didn't really get to advance further into the Mercy Thompson World in general...
Then again, it is always a pleasure to read about Charles, Anna and co. The plot twist towards the end was entertaining (as I didn't see that coming) but the building part was... slow for lack of better word. Not bad, just slow.
Don't let my babbles stop you from reading it though !

There is something so special about this series. Yes, I love the Mercy Thompson books, but the dynamic between Charles and Anna puts the Alpha and Omega series over the top for me. If you’re not reading them, go back to the beginning and start now. You’ll be glad you did.

You really don’t even need to be up to date with the Mercy books, though the main events of Silence Fallen are addressed inasmuch as it references Bran’s trip to help Mercy out. It’s with his absence that Charles has been put in charge of the pack, a responsibility he accepts but doesn’t enjoy. As the story begins, he gets a desperate call from one of the Wildlings—the wolves on the fringe of the pack—asking for help. It...

See Full Review
Once again Patricia Briggs brings her A-game when Charles and his wife Anna are forced to defend the pack from a dangerous threat determined to destroy them all. Bold, unapologetic, and brimming with action and suspense, Burn Bright blows open some long-simmering storylines as it propels the arc to new heights.
While this is the first in this series I've read, and my first time reading anything by Patricia Briggs, I really enjoyed the characters in this one! The writing style drew me in, and the fast pace held my attention throughout.
Great continuation of Anna and Charles story. I love Patricia Briggs writing and this is no exception.
Another great book from Briggs. It was nice to have a new Charles & Anna book, this one had a lot going on right from the beginning and doesn't stop. I would highly recommend reading the last Mercy  book before reading this one because it does help with knowing where a certain somebody is (no spoilers).

As always a great book sad we have to wait so long for another one!

It’s no secret that Patricia Briggs’ has one of the most engaging urban fantasy series’ out there. I’m not sure that it’s as well known that she has two! Burn Bright is the fifth book in the Alpha and Omega series. These books are connected loosely to the Mercy Thompson books with characters that overlap in both series. In Burn Bright Charles and Anna are left in charge of the Marrok’s pack when tragedy strikes. Isolated wolves are being hunted, their locations betrayed by a traitor within the pack. I love that this book delves more into the unique individuals who co-exist in the Marrok’s pack, that we get meet new characters and revisit old favorites. Burn Bright sees Charles and...

See Full Review

Burn Bright is another fascinating and thrilling installment in the Alpha and Omega series. Gikany and Una were fascinated by the more in-depth look into some of the relationships in the Mercy Thompson World.

This series is one of our all-time favorites: the world-building, the characters, and the ever-changing politics – it’s all captivating. The contrast of the Alpha and Omega series is that we experience Mercy’s world from a completely different perspective (sometimes several). There is an interesting insight presented early in this novel about Bran. In fact, though he is absent for most of the novel – we learn an incredible amount about him, especially in regard to his relationship...

See Full Review
I have really enjoyed the world of Alpha Omega, however this story really fell flat for me. The hero wasn’t much of a hero and the storyline and flow felt very forced. This was just okay for me. It almost seemed like the ending was rushed or maybe the book feels like it doesn’t fit well or flow with the others in the series. Fingers crossed the next one gets back into rhythm.

HOO boy.

DEAD HEAT, the last book from the Anna and Charles portion of the MERCY THOMPSON universe, is probably my least favorite book in the combined series, so despite my slight preference for the ALPHA & OMEGA characters, I was a bit leery of BURN BRIGHT . . .

And by "leery" I mean that I hesitated for a whole five seconds before accepting an ARC.

I love Bran. I love everything about the concept of the Marrock. I love the tiny middle-of-nowhere town for misfit werewolves. And even if Bran isn’t a POV or the focus, his presence still saturates everything Charles and Anna do, b/c he’s the friggin’ Marrock.

BUT.

I hate Leah as intensely as I love Bran, so when my...

See Full Review
This didn't capture me. I usually love Briggs and I love the Mercy books, but I didn't find this particularly interesting plot-wise and I still don't really find Anna and Charles as interesting as some of the other characters, even five books in.

Also, the whole conversation about Bran's attitude towards Mercy was weird and something I had never read into the story and didn't like. And I say this as someone who was originally team Samuel.

I loved diving back into this series. It was like coming back home after being gone. This was the 5th book in this series and was wonderful.

I didn't know who I was siding with in this read, but it was completely a wild ride from start to finish. I loved finding out the back story for some particular people and even more so getting to know new ones.

This novel threw twists we didn't see coming and truly tested my love for Bran. Sometimes I swear I scream at my iPad with frustration over reactions.

In the end though I understood where everyone was coming from and understood the characters we love SO much more.

This doesn't need to be long. You love this series as much as I...

See Full Review
I adore Patricia Brigg's werewolf world and I love the Alpha and Omega (A&O) series. I am super appreciative that the Mercy books and the A&O books feel different. They take place in the same world and cross paths with characters and connect on events and  I never feel like I am reading a Mercy book with Charles and Anna instead of Mercy. That said I adore Charles and Anna. I love watching their relationship change and deepen as they deal with new challenges. This book was awesome!
Patricia Briggs never fails. I love the Mercy Thompson series for the characters and the story. This book drew me in and kept my interest until the very last line. I love that I can never quite figure out what is going on or what Mercy/Adam are going to do until the very end!

Four stars: Another brilliant installment in a favorite shifter series. Prepare for betrayals, new alliances, witches, dark magic and more.

Bran has been missing since he went to retrieve Mercy, leaving Charles in charge of the pack. Charles is busy going through the Pack finances while Mercy is trying to get along with Leah. A strange phone call alerts them to danger. One of Bran’s wildling wolves is in trouble. Charles and Anna charge to the rescue. They find that someone is hunting the wildling wolves with sophisticated tools. A fae leaves behind a cryptic message warning Charles that someone has betrayed the wildlings and the pack. Without Bran, Charles is forced to try and find out...

**Review on https://smadasbooksmack.blogspot.com/ **

The Marrock, aka Bran, leaves to help rescue Mercy, Charles and Anna are left in charge. While in charge of the most terrifying and powerful pack in North America, they are tasked with keeping up with the Wildlings, the old, powerful and pretty crazy wolves that nobody else will interact with. While their care, wildling Ester is murdered, most likely due to a traitor in the pack. Charles and Anna struggle to find who is behind the attack on the pack, where Bran really is and what this means for their people.

​There will never be a bad thing said by me about this series, this world, or about Patricia. When ever I pick up a book in this...