Little Big Love

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 12 Jul 2018

I thought this book was a good combo of super cute and also pretty deep. which definitely impressed me. I loved Zac and his big heart, and loved how the perspectives switched each chapter.
Must-read women’s fiction: Books by Molly Harper, Karen White, Emily Giffin, Karma Brown and more
By: Leigh Davis | July 26, 2018 12:00 am
So little time — so many books! This month we have double coverage of women’s fiction recommendations with both June and July books. So let’s dive in!
Little Big Love by Katy Regan
What it’s about:
Ten-year-old Zac Hutchinson collects facts: Octopuses have three hearts, Usain Bolt is the fastest man on earth.But no one will tell him the one thing he wants to know most: who his father is and where he went.
When Zac’s mother, Juliet, inadvertently admits that his dad is the only man she’s ever loved, Zac decides he is going to find him and deliver his mom the happily ever after she deserves.
But Liam Jones left for a reason, and as Zac searches for clues of his father, Juliet begins to rebuild what shattered on the day that was at once the happiest and most heartbreaking of her life.
Told through the eyes of Zac, Juliet, and grandfather Mick, Little Big Love is a layered, heartfelt, utterly satisfying story about family, love, and the secrets that can define who we are.
The right stuff: Zac is adorable! Complex family relationship is compelling, and point of view creates an ideal story. A winner!
The Lost for Words Bookshop by Stephanie Butland
What it’s about:
Loveday Cardew prefers books to people. If you look carefully, you might glimpse the first lines of the novels she loves most tattooed on her skin. But there are some things Loveday will never, ever show you.
Into her hiding place – the bookstore where she works — come a poet, a lover, and three suspicious deliveries.
Someone has found out about her mysterious past. Will Loveday survive her own heartbreaking secrets?
The right stuff: Marketed as a bibliophile delight, and it is true! Loveday will capture your heart as you become engrossed in the story of her guarding her own heart — from disappointment and betrayal. Wonderful backdrop romance as her Prince Charming helps break down the walls.
The Lido by Libby Page
What it’s about:
Rosemary Peterson has lived in Brixton, London, all her life but everything is changing.
The library where she used to work has closed. The family grocery store has become a trendy bar. And now the lido, an outdoor pool where she’s swum daily since its opening, is threatened with closure by a local housing developer. It was at the lido that Rosemary escaped the devastation of World War II; here she fell in love with her husband, George; here she found community during her marriage and since George’s death.
Twentysomething Kate Matthews has moved to Brixton and feels desperately alone. A once promising writer, she now covers forgettable stories for her local paper. That is, until she’s assigned to write about the lido’s closing. Soon Kate’s portrait of the pool focuses on a singular woman: Rosemary. And as Rosemary slowly opens up to Kate, both women are nourished and transformed in ways they never thought possible.
The right stuff: This book has been compared to Fredrik Backman’s A Man Called Ove because of its heartwarming theme of multigenerational relationships. It’s a marvelous flashback romance and features a developing one. There’s also a Goliath theme — a little guy against big business.
Ain’t She a Peach by Molly Harper
What it’s about:
An Atlanta ex-cop comes to sleepy Lake Sackett, Georgia, seeking peace and quiet—but he hasn’t bargained on falling for Frankie, the cutest coroner he’s ever met.
Frankie McCready talks to dead people. Not like a ghost whisperer or anything—but it seems rude to embalm them and not at least say hello.
Fortunately, at the McCready Family Funeral Home & Bait Shop, Frankie’s eccentricities fit right in. Lake Sackett’s embalmer and county coroner, Frankie’s goth styling and passion for nerd culture mean she’s not your typical Southern girl, but the McCreadys are hardly your typical Southern family.
The right stuff: The funeral home and bait shop combo is pure quirkiness, and it works! Frankie’s eccentricity is too droll. Plenty of romance. Southern idiosyncrasies at their most amusing.
The Late Bloomers’ Club by Louise Miller
What it’s about:
Nora, the owner of the Miss Guthrie Diner, is perfectly happy serving up apple cider donuts, coffee, and eggs-any-way-you-like-em to her regulars, and she takes great pleasure in knowing exactly what’s “the usual.” But her life is soon shaken when she discovers she and her free-spirited, younger sister Kit stand to inherit the home and land of the town’s beloved cake lady, Peggy Johnson.
Kit, an aspiring—and broke—filmmaker thinks her problems are solved when she and Nora find out Peggy was in the process of selling the land to a big-box developer before her death. The people of Guthrie are divided—some want the opportunities the development will bring, while others are staunchly against any change—and they aren’t afraid to leave their opinions with their tips.
Time is running out, and the sisters need to make a decision soon. But Nora isn’t quite ready to let go of the land, complete with a charming farmhouse, an ancient apple orchard and the clues to a secret life that no one knew Peggy had. Troubled by the conflicting needs of the town, and confused by her growing feelings towards Elliot, the big-box developer’s rep, Nora throws herself into solving the one problem that everyone in town can agree on—finding Peggy’s missing dog, Freckles.
The right stuff: Miller does a wonderful job of showcasing the complex relationships we have with our siblings and how to lose the judgment and accept differences. Great sense of community, too!
The Lost Queen of Crocker County by Elizabeth Leiknes
What it’s about:
Crocker County crowns a new Corn Queen every year, but Jane Willow’s the one you would remember. She can’t forget Iowa, either. Even though she fled to LA to become a film critic years ago, home was always there behind her.
But when a family tragedy happens, she’s forced to drive back to Crocker County. The rolling farmlands can’t much hide the things she left behind: the best friend she abandoned who now runs a meatloaf hotline, the childhood front porch that sits hauntingly empty, and that fiasco of a Corn Fest that spun her life in a different direction.
Before Jane can escape her past a second time, disaster strikes, and she will have to find a way to right her mistakes and save herself from her regrets. An unflinchingly love letter to the Midwest that unfolds through a celebration of movies, this ferociously endearing novel brings home the saving grace of second chances.
The right stuff: Pure delight for film buffs. Riveting story of small-town girl transformed into mocking, skeptical sophisticate until she returns home and finds the courage to forgive herself and “make it right.” Strong multifaceted heroine. Wonderful “Believe So” theme.
All We Ever Wanted by Emily Giffin
What it’s about:
Nina Browning is living the good life after marrying into Nashville’s elite. More recently, her husband made a fortune selling his tech business, and their adored son has been accepted to Princeton.
Yet sometimes the middle-class small-town girl in Nina wonders if she’s strayed from the person she once was.
Tom Volpe is a single dad working multiple jobs while struggling to raise his headstrong daughter, Lyla. His road has been lonely, long, and hard, but he finally starts to relax after Lyla earns a scholarship to Windsor Academy, Nashville’s most prestigious private school.
Amid so much wealth and privilege, Lyla doesn’t always fit in—and her overprotective father doesn’t help—but in most ways, she’s a typical teenaged girl, happy and thriving.
Then, one photograph, snapped in a drunken moment at a party, changes everything. As the image spreads like wildfire, the Windsor community is instantly polarized, buzzing with controversy and assigning blame.
At the heart of the lies and scandal, Tom, Nina, and Lyla are forced together—all questioning their closest relationships, asking themselves who they really are, and searching for the courage to live a life of true meaning.
The right stuff: Giffin combines today’s relevant themes of boys will be boys, the impact of social media and the MeToo movement into a compelling read.
Dreams of Falling by Karen White
What it’s about:
On the banks of the North Santee River stands a moss-draped oak that was once entrusted with the dreams of three young girls. Into the tree’s trunk, they placed their greatest hopes, written on ribbons, for safekeeping—including the most important one: Friends forever, come what may.
But life can waylay the best of intentions….
Nine years ago, a humiliated Larkin Lanier fled Georgetown, South Carolina, knowing she could never go back. But when she finds out that her mother has disappeared, she realizes she has no choice but to return to the place she both loves and dreads—and to the family and friends who never stopped wishing for her to come home.
Ivy, Larkin’s mother, is discovered badly injured and unconscious in the burned-out wreckage of her ancestral plantation home. No one knows why Ivy was there, but as Larkin digs for answers, she uncovers secrets kept for nearly fifty years—whispers of love, sacrifice, and betrayal—that lead back to three girls on the brink of womanhood who found their friendship tested in the most heartbreaking ways.
The right stuff: This one is everything you’ve come to expect from a Karen White book. Strong female friendships, a second chance at love and a great family mystery! (See an excerpt on HEA from Dreams of Falling.)
The Life Lucy Knew by Karma Brown
What it’s about:
After hitting her head, Lucy Sparks awakens in the hospital to a shocking revelation: the man she’s known and loved for years—the man she recently married—is not actually her husband. In fact, they haven’t even spoken since their breakup four years earlier. The happily-ever-after she remembers in vivid detail—right down to the dress she wore to their wedding—is only one example of what her doctors call a false memory: recollections Lucy’s mind made up to fill in the blanks from the coma.
Her psychologist explains the condition as honest lying, because while Lucy’s memories are false, they still feel incredibly real. Now she has no idea which memories she can trust—a devastating experience not only for Lucy, but also for her family, friends and especially her devoted boyfriend, Matt, whom Lucy remembers merely as a work colleague.
When the life Lucy believes she had slams against the reality she’s been living for the past four years, she must make a difficult choice about which life she wants to lead, and who she really is.
The right stuff: An imaginative (and horrifying) plot of memories that are not truly memories. Strong romance and a true happy ending!
Leigh Davis is a former contributor to Heroes and Heartbreakers. When she is not reading, she’s usually outside throwing balls to her insatiable dogs. She loves hearing and talking about great books. You can connect with her on Twitter and Goodreads.
MORE ON HEA: See more posts by Leigh
Elizabeth Leiknes, Emily Giffin, Karen White, Karma Brown, Kate Regan, Libby Page, Louise Miller, Molly Harper, Stephanie Butland, women's fiction, Recommended reads, Top stories
I love this story - it was both heartwarming and heartbreaking at the same time and a unique view of a family who is stuck from moving on from a terrible loss 10 years earlier. I did feel it was a bit long and parts could have been edited down, hence the 4 over 5!
10 year old Zac has teamed up with his best friend Teagan on a mission to find his dad. His mum and grandparents have maintained that Zac’s dad Liam “did a runner” before he was born and they have not heard from him since. In truth, Liam was chased out of town after he started a fight that caused the unfortunate, accidental death of Zac’s Uncle Jaimie. I liked that chapters alternate between Zac, his mum Juliet, and grandpa Mick, as the different points of view add depth to the story. While the book tackles tough issues including childhood obesity and bullying, alcoholism, poverty and single parenting, the endearing characters give the story a heartwarming charm. While the ending was predictable, it stayed true to the characters who are like all of us, imperfectly human. Thank you #NetGalley for the ARC, all opinions are my own.
Little Big Love is exactly what I needed, a story about family, secrets, love and forgiveness. Yes, I cried. Several times. I also laughed out loud.  What a lovely read Katy Regan has provided. I particularly appreciated the appropriateness of the dialogue to the age of the characters,  it never seemed contrived or out of place. Relating the story thru three distinct voices, a ten year old Zac, his mother Juliet and his grandfather Mick was a well used device.  The characters are all truly deep and still easy to connect to and the story itself unfolds slowly but evenly. I will look for more from this talented author.
Katy Regan's Little Big Love is part coming of age and part women's fiction. Obesity is one of the themes you'll run into. Bullying, family dysfunction, alcoholism, emotion binge-eating, and parenting in today's world are others. Starting with the setting, which I loved, this story takes place on the North Sea coast in England. The main city is just below Hull, so it's an area I have been to several times as I have family in Bridlington.

Zac Hutchinson is 10 and considered obese. He's reached an age where he really wants to know his father. Mostly, he wants his mother to be happy. One night after a bit of wine, she blurts out that the only man she'll ever love was his father. Zac decides he's going to reunite them, even if his father's name seems to be forbidden.

While Zac and his best friend try to find where Liam is now, his mom and grandfather each take a look back in time to the events that led to Liam walking away. For Zac to find Liam, they'll all have to face painful events from the past. For Juliet, it involves the lies she's told Zac about his father. For Mick, it involves his role and the things none of his family knows.

Little Big Love is told from Zac, Juliet, and Mick's viewpoints. All of the secrets are revealed slowly and definitely impact each character. Everything did get settled, but there were aspects of the story that I feel were settled a little too easily.

Mostly, my heart broke for Zac. That poor kid. His bullies were deplorable little cretins. I was rooting for him the entire time, and I'm glad his coming-of-age story was treated to the ending that takes place. He had me in tears, but it was well worth it.
This was an adorable story of ten year old Zac who is overweight and bullied and just wants to know why his dad left him.

Juliet, his single mother, tries to do her best for her very intelligent and imaginative son. However, the family has secrets that involve Zac's dad and only one person can get to the bottom of that secret.

Mick is the grandfather who sees a whole new world through his grandson's eyes and also holds a terrible secret.

Absolutely delightful read that I thoroughly enjoyed!!

Thanks to Berkley Publishing and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.
A fabulous book about families and the secrets they keep that are better served out in the open.  This book is chock full of characters that will make you laugh, cry and want to befriend.  Zac and Teagan, the two 10-yr-olds who drive the action are two of the best characters I've met in a long time.
A really sweet and adorable short read. For every somersault my heart does there is just as much heart break also. I found myself lost in all of my feelings. I hadnt known my own father for about 26 years. All I had ever heard were the mistakes he made, and how was hias loss to not know me. However, that's not how it felt to me. I felt like I had done something to come him away, I felt different from kids who did have dads, even more so both parents. Not having a great relationship with my mother also hurt that process. Things are different today, but none the less this story plucked every one of my heart strings.
10 year old Zac has only ever been told one thing about his father Liam, from all of his family members. But Zac knew he had to have a dad, everyone has a father. Soon a drunken Juliet, Zac Mother, spills the beans and admits the love she had for Liam never left when he did. Now on a mission, Zac enlists help from his best friend Reagan, to find his father!!
Little Big Love is an emotional tale of a broken family. Zac has always wondered why his father walked out on him. After his mom shared that Zac’s father was the love of her life Zac comes up with the brilliant idea of finding his father! He want to reunite his broken family so badly!
Katy Regan writes a compelling tale full with family secrets that can’t stay hidden anymore. Check out this complex family tale!

I can’t quite bring myself to rate Little Big Love in a way that rounds up to 4 stars. I enjoyed parts of it but I found it took an awfully long time to get to what was a fairly predictable end. Zac is 10 years old and lives with his single mother Juliet. As far as Zac knows, his father did a runner before he was born, but he’s determined to find him. The story focuses on Zac’s quest to find his father and the backstory about why his father disappeared. The story is told from Zac, Juliet and Zac’s grandfather’s points of view. Zac is wise, overweight and plagued by bullies. The adults are flawed, but not ill meaning. They’ve made bad decisions they can’t seem to shake.

What I liked about Little Big Love is the voice the author gave each character, especially Zac. The characters had some dimension and there is fair bit of humour, despite some sad parts. This is what kept me reading. But I did find it dragged on and was predictable, all topped with a very unlikely ending.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an opportunity to read an advance copy.
This book was fantastic.

Zac is a 10 year old boy, old enough to know he has a dad, old enough to make it a personal mission to find and meet his dad. Because he believes, as sweet 10 year olds can, that this will make his mother happy again. Zac's character was the standout in this wonderful novel for me.

Juliet. Zac's mom, has many secrets, and many insecurities. Regan does a fantastic job of taking this complex character and making her feel totally real, and totally relatable.

This novel was a great balance, of heavy and light, and it was a book I couldn't wait to pick up.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC of this book for review.
Heart-warming, sometimes tear-jerking look at what it's like to be struggling and overweight. Protagonists to root for.
Zac has always wondered why his dad left, and on one fateful night when his mother says his dad was the love of her life, he decides to find his father and bring his family back together. Set in a fishing town on the coast of England, Little Big Love is the story of a broken but loving family. There are deep family secrets and complicated fibs to cover those secrets. Zac’s mother and grandparents are filled with rage, grief, and guilt. The complex situation makes Zac’s find-dad mission even more difficult.

Zac, his mother, Juliet, and his maternal grandfather, Mick are the narrators of Little Big Love. Author Katy Regan superbly intertwines these three voices. While not all of her characters are completely likable, they are quite believable. I did love the innocence of ten-year-old Zac and his best friend, Teagan.

Ms. Regan tackles some hard topics (i.e., childhood obesity, bullying, addiction, shoplifting, poor living conditions and childhood illness), but she does so with a dash of humor and a dollop of panache. Her last-minute twist was quite shocking!

I was not enamored with most of the adults and their behavior, but overall, Little Big Love is a sweet, hopeful-yet-sad tale of love within an imperfect family. Pushing through the somewhat slow start, will be rewarded with a big finish.
4.5 Big Little Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟.5

This book surprised me... I was expecting a light fun adorable read and what I got was so much more! This was a book about family, secrets, forgiveness, and love.... this was absolutely a more emotional read than I was anticipating, but so worth it!

The book was told from three different points of view.... 10-year-old Zac, his mother Juliet, and his grandfather Mick...Zac’s father pulled a runner before he was born, or so he thinks.... what really happened that tragic night that led to the death of Juliet’s brother Jamie? Juliet and both her parents have secrets they have kept the past 10 years, secrets that could possibly tear the family apart....BUT Zac is determined to find out all he can about his father....

Zac was an enchanting 10-year-old boy with a heart of gold... loved his obsession with fax and his friendship with the equally delightful Teagan... I felt so much for him especially when he was bullied for his weight... and my heart broke for his desire to find his father... but truly my absolute favorite part of this book was the charming friendship between Zac and Teagan... everybody needs a Teagan in their lives, she was just an exceptional character.... and some of her insights far surpassed her 10 years!

Juliet was also a very real and relatable character, the kind of character I’d love to go out to lunch with... I won’t judge what she did and did not tell her son, because I have never been in that situation.... and there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that she loved her son with all her heart and wanted nothing but the absolute best for him... same goes for grandpa Mick.... The stress and the burden brought on by the secrets that these to were keeping  was so unfortunate....

The last 20% of this book was absolutely priceless! I was smiling the entire time unless tears were running down my face... an emotional ending to this beautiful story.... filled with hope, forgiveness, family, and love💕

*** many thanks to Berkley for my copy of this stunning book ***
Perhaps I would have enjoyed this more if there was more a secret as to Liam's disappearance or a focus on Zac but instead it felt a bit more like a slog through two plots with characters that never quite engaged me with heart. Just not for me. I received a copy of this egalley for an honest review.
Zac Hutchinson is a 10-year old boy growing up in a small town in England with single mom Juliet and his nearby grandparents, Lynda and Mick. He’s a lovely young boy who is fascinated with facts. After a particularly troublesome night where he hears his mother admit she still loves his father who disappeared when he was born, Zac embarks on a mission to find his “dad” with the help of his best friend Teagan. Unfortunately, he’s facing some serious challenges as his family is just as determined to keep secret the reasons behind his disappearance.

First of all, Zac is just a lovely, wonderful little boy. He has a big heart and is kind to a fault. He’s the center of mom Juliet’s world but not always in a good way, especially when it comes to their eating habits. The story is told from Zac, Juliet and Mick’s perspectives, which often sheds much needed light on the others’ points of view. The quest to find Liam Jones, Zac’s father, unraveled so many issues within each of them and the family, making this a layered and emotional journey. This family broke almost eleven years ago and never really recovered. Zac is the key to them finding their way to recovery, no matter how painful.

This book was a slow burn for me. I struggled through the first half, taking days to get there. But something miraculous happened at the halfway point. It all began to gel and I literally could not let the story go and finished it in one day. You absolutely must push through the initial malaise because the payoff is extraordinary. The scene in the restaurant? I’ll never, ever get over that. Cried like a baby. This story will stick with me forever. It’s not all sweetness and light but what is makes it a must read.
What a delightful, sweet, heart warming and sometimes heart wrenching novel.. I really enjoyed every character of the book- albeit many of them make big mistakes that effect others. But they are related and you see some decisions aren't so easy. I loved that the book was told from three points of view- 10 year old Zac, his mother, Juliet and his grandfather, Mick. It really helped you get a sense of the characters and why they dealt with things the way they did.

Zax has never met his father and doesn't understand why he left him. Zac and his BFF, Teagan, go on a mission to find his father. During this time you start to discover big family secrets that have been kept over the years. Secrets that effect Zac.

The book was relatable and makes you think- what would you do for love even knowing the effects it could have on others?

Thank you to Netgalley and Berkley for an ARC copy of the book.
I requested Katy Regan’s Little Big Love from Netgalley primarily because the book’s synopsis describes it as About a Boy meets Parenthood.  Parenthood is one of my all-time favorite family-centric dramas and I loved it because every episode took me through a full range of emotions because I became so invested in the Braverman family:  joy, sadness, anger, frustration, love, regret – you name it, I felt it. Seeing Little Big Love compared to Parenthood therefore made it a must-read for me.  The comparison is apt too because the characters in Little Big Love captured my heart in much the same way the Bravermans did in Parenthood.

Little Big Love follows Zac Hutchinson, a 10-year old boy who is on a mission to find the his father, whom he has never met.  Zac knows he has a dad because, of course, everyone does, but all Zac knows about his is that according to his mom and grandparents, Zac’s dad “did a runner” as soon as Zac was born and never came back.  Zac has therefore spent his entire life without a dad and is obsessed with what it would be like to have one.  The older he gets, the more convinced he is that if his dad could just meet him once, he’d want to stick around.  Then, one fateful night when his mom, in a drunken state, confesses to Zac that she still loves his dad, Zac, with the help of his best friend Teagan, sets his “Find Dad Mission” into motion. Now he wants to find his dad, not just for himself, because he also thinks it would finally make his mom happy again.

There are many things to love about Little Big Love, but I don't want to spoil anything so here were the highlights for me:

Zac.  10-year-old Zac was, by far, my favorite character in this story.  He’s such a sweetheart, always thinking of others, and just the type of kid who wouldn’t hurt a fly.  It broke my heart to watch him obsess so much about not having a Dad in his life, especially once I realized how many secrets about his father his mom and grandparents were keeping from him.  For reasons that weren’t revealed until much later, it was as if all mention of Zac’s father had been banned from their household so Zac literally knew nothing about his dad, aside from his name.  Zac was also an incredibly sympathetic character because he’s being bullied at school because of his weight and because he doesn’t stick up for himself.  The kids are just so evil and relentless, and I cried for Zac several times as I was reading.  Regan really got me in the feels when it came to Zac.

Teagan.  Teagan is Zac’s classmate and best friend, and she is the spunkiest little firecracker there ever was.  She is Zac’s biggest supporter, which makes me love her all the more knowing how low Zac’s self-esteem is because of his weight and because of the constant bullying.  Teagan is also a breath of fresh air, frequently using comical expressions like “He just needs a rocket up his bum!” to bring some levity and humor into what is otherwise a pretty heavy story.  My favorite thing about Teagan is her enthusiastic support of Zac’s mission to find his dad.  She spends a lot of time watching crime and detective shows so that she can share helpful tips on how Zac should conduct his investigation and gather evidence that will help locate his dad.  It’s just adorable!

3 Points of View.  While the children were my favorite characters in Little Big Love and Zac’s chapters were my favorites because that have that honesty and tell-it-like-it-is bluntness that only an innocent child can bring, I also appreciated that the story was presented not just from Zac’s perspective, but also from the perspectives of Zac’s mom, Juliet, and Zac’s grandfather, Mick. Juliet is a single mom who is struggling to make ends meet and who is also dealing with her own self-esteem and weight issues.  All she wants is what’s best for Zac but sometimes finds herself questioning her life’s choices.  Mick, Zac’s granddad brings us the perspective of a recovering alcoholic who loves his family more than life itself, but who is weighted down by secrets that if revealed, could cost him everyone he loves.  I loved all of the layers that Regan adds to the story by using these three completely different perspectives.

Realistic Issues and Big Themes.  As I mentioned earlier, at times, Little Big Love was a heavy read.  It deals with some issues and themes that really got to me on an emotional level.  They’re issues that many families will face and perhaps they got to me all the more since I have a son Zac’s age.

There is of course the family drama with these secrets that they’re keeping and how those secrets are just weighing everyone down. But then there’s also alcoholism, bullying, loss and grief, and mental health/low self-esteem issues as well.  This whole family has been through so much, and as I said with Parenthood, I became so invested in them that their stories – the good and the bad – just really had me so emotional at times.  Bless little Teagan and her “rocket up the bum” jokes to lighten the mood and keep things from getting too heavy, lol.

Even though I really enjoyed Little Big Love overall, I did occasionally struggle with the pacing, especially in the beginning.  I adored all of Zac’s chapters and just flew through them, but I’ll admit that I struggled to get into Juliet’s story and even Mick’s at first.  I was a little put off by the secrets they were keeping because I just didn’t see where any good could possibly come from what they were doing.  Ultimately though, they won me over because it became clear that they both loved Zac more than anything else in this world and that they were beating themselves up about their choices just as much, if not even more, than I was beating them up.

Katy Regan’s Little Big Love is a moving story about a flawed but beautiful family and the things they’re willing to do to protect both themselves and the ones they love.  They don’t always make the best choices, but their hearts are in the right place, even if their heads aren’t.  I’d recommend this to anyone who enjoys books that feature endearing characters, especially lovable children, as well as messy but realistic family situations.
Many thanks to NetGalley, Berkley, and Katy Regan for the opportunity to read this heart-warming novel - 4.5 stars for a great read!

Zac is a ten-year-old boy living with mom, Juliet.  Zac is heavy and is the target of bullying at school.  Thankfully, he has a best friend who is a girl, Teagan.  Juliet has always told Zac that his dad did a "runner" before he was born but lately Zac and Teagan are on a mission to find his dad.  However, just the mention of his dad causes Juliet and her parents much grief.  Everyone is harboring secrets about a night long ago that caused an accident in the family that no one can forget or forgive.

Told from the viewpoints of Zac, Juliet and Mick (Juliet's dad) this is a story of what keeping secrets can do and how one boy can change the path of everyone's lives.  Great characters and a wonderful book!