Little Big Love

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 12 Jul 2018

Little Big Love is an emotional tale of a broken family. Zac has always wondered why his father walked out on him. After his mom shared that Zac’s father was the love of her life Zac comes up with the brilliant idea of finding his father! He want to reunite his broken family so badly!
Katy Regan writes a compelling tale full with family secrets that can’t stay hidden anymore. Check out this complex family tale!

I can’t quite bring myself to rate Little Big Love in a way that rounds up to 4 stars. I enjoyed parts of it but I found it took an awfully long time to get to what was a fairly predictable end. Zac is 10 years old and lives with his single mother Juliet. As far as Zac knows, his father did a runner before he was born, but he’s determined to find him. The story focuses on Zac’s quest to find his father and the backstory about why his father disappeared. The story is told from Zac, Juliet and Zac’s grandfather’s points of view. Zac is wise, overweight and plagued by bullies. The adults are flawed, but not ill meaning. They’ve made bad decisions they can’t seem to shake.

What I...

This book was fantastic.

Zac is a 10 year old boy, old enough to know he has a dad, old enough to make it a personal mission to find and meet his dad. Because he believes, as sweet 10 year olds can, that this will make his mother happy again. Zac's character was the standout in this wonderful novel for me.

Juliet. Zac's mom, has many secrets, and many insecurities. Regan does a fantastic job of taking this complex character and making her feel totally real, and totally relatable.

This novel was a great balance, of heavy and light, and it was a book I couldn't wait to pick up.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC of this book for review.
Heart-warming, sometimes tear-jerking look at what it's like to be struggling and overweight. Protagonists to root for.

Zac has always wondered why his dad left, and on one fateful night when his mother says his dad was the love of her life, he decides to find his father and bring his family back together. Set in a fishing town on the coast of England, Little Big Love is the story of a broken but loving family. There are deep family secrets and complicated fibs to cover those secrets. Zac’s mother and grandparents are filled with rage, grief, and guilt. The complex situation makes Zac’s find-dad mission even more difficult.

Zac, his mother, Juliet, and his maternal grandfather, Mick are the narrators of Little Big Love. Author Katy Regan superbly intertwines these three voices. While not all of her...

4.5 Big Little Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟.5

This book surprised me... I was expecting a light fun adorable read and what I got was so much more! This was a book about family, secrets, forgiveness, and love.... this was absolutely a more emotional read than I was anticipating, but so worth it!

The book was told from three different points of view.... 10-year-old Zac, his mother Juliet, and his grandfather Mick...Zac’s father pulled a runner before he was born, or so he thinks.... what really happened that tragic night that led to the death of Juliet’s brother Jamie? Juliet and both her parents have secrets they have kept the past 10 years, secrets that could possibly tear the family apart....BUT Zac is...

See Full Review
Perhaps I would have enjoyed this more if there was more a secret as to Liam's disappearance or a focus on Zac but instead it felt a bit more like a slog through two plots with characters that never quite engaged me with heart. Just not for me. I received a copy of this egalley for an honest review.

Zac Hutchinson is a 10-year old boy growing up in a small town in England with single mom Juliet and his nearby grandparents, Lynda and Mick. He’s a lovely young boy who is fascinated with facts. After a particularly troublesome night where he hears his mother admit she still loves his father who disappeared when he was born, Zac embarks on a mission to find his “dad” with the help of his best friend Teagan. Unfortunately, he’s facing some serious challenges as his family is just as determined to keep secret the reasons behind his disappearance.

First of all, Zac is just a lovely, wonderful little boy. He has a big heart and is kind to a fault. He’s the center of mom Juliet’s world but not...

See Full Review

What a delightful, sweet, heart warming and sometimes heart wrenching novel.. I really enjoyed every character of the book- albeit many of them make big mistakes that effect others. But they are related and you see some decisions aren't so easy. I loved that the book was told from three points of view- 10 year old Zac, his mother, Juliet and his grandfather, Mick. It really helped you get a sense of the characters and why they dealt with things the way they did.

Zax has never met his father and doesn't understand why he left him. Zac and his BFF, Teagan, go on a mission to find his father. During this time you start to discover big family secrets that have been kept over the...

See Full Review

I requested Katy Regan’s Little Big Love from Netgalley primarily because the book’s synopsis describes it as About a Boy meets Parenthood. Parenthood is one of my all-time favorite family-centric dramas and I loved it because every episode took me through a full range of emotions because I became so invested in the Braverman family: joy, sadness, anger, frustration, love, regret – you name it, I felt it. Seeing Little Big Love compared to Parenthood therefore made it a must-read for me. The comparison is apt too because the characters in Little Big Love captured my heart in much the same way the Bravermans did in Parenthood.

Little Big Love follows Zac Hutchinson, a 10-year old boy who...

See Full Review

Many thanks to NetGalley, Berkley, and Katy Regan for the opportunity to read this heart-warming novel - 4.5 stars for a great read!

Zac is a ten-year-old boy living with mom, Juliet. Zac is heavy and is the target of bullying at school. Thankfully, he has a best friend who is a girl, Teagan. Juliet has always told Zac that his dad did a "runner" before he was born but lately Zac and Teagan are on a mission to find his dad. However, just the mention of his dad causes Juliet and her parents much grief. Everyone is harboring secrets about a night long ago that caused an accident in the family that no one can forget or forgive.

Told from the viewpoints of Zac, Juliet and Mick...

See Full Review
Ten year old Zac wants to know who his father is and where he is. His father left for a reason and each family member will need to learn about love and secrets.
I tried to get into this book twice and it just really didn't quite grab my attention. The characters weren't very interesting and I wasn't into the story line too much.

Beguiling, poignant, and incredibly uplifting!

Little Big Love is an exceptionally absorbing tale set in the small, economically declining, fishing town of Grimsby and told from three different perspectives. Zac, a sweet, innocent young boy contending with ongoing bullying from his peers and a relentless hunt for the father he’s never known. Juliet, a single mother with a big heart struggling to care and support those she loves as well as herself. And Mick, a loving grandfather who’s weighed down by the secrets he keeps and the feelings of loss and grief that constantly surround him.

The prose is eloquent and expressive. The characters are genuine, sorrowful, sympathetic, and lovable. And...

See Full Review

I’ve been reading so many heavy books lately, and I readily admit these are the types of stories I am drawn to. Once in a while I need a break and I read that this was a feel good story. However, I soon found that it was not a light read. There’s bullying, alcoholism, grief that causes some of the characters to make mistakes that will make them carry remorse and secrets for years.

Child narrators appeal to me, mostly for their capacity to many times see things as they are and tell it like it is. So of course, I especially liked ten year old Zac’s narrative as he struggles with bullying over his weight and wants so much to find the father he never knew. There are two other...

See Full Review

This was not exactly what I had expected, but it was an interesting read anyways! Little Big Love is written in three changing perspectives – Zac, a young boy who is overweight and searching for his father; Juliet, Zac’s mother; and Mick, Zac’s grandfather who is hiding a few secrets of his own. That one night, years ago, everything changed, and the family only agrees on one thing: Don’t tell Zac. But as he grows up, he becomes determined to discover the other half of his family.

There were definitely a lot of things going on in this book, and while I understand that realistically a family could deal with multiple issues at once, I feel like it made the book a little messy because there...

See Full Review
This is a heartrending story of a ten year old boy trying to find his father who walked out 10 years ago.  The story is told from 3 viewpoints - the boy, his mother and his grandfather. They are all troubled and are holding their own secrets.  Although there is plenty of tragedy in the story, the young boy's beautiful naivety bring hope and redemption.

Ten-year-old Zac is about to launch his “Find Dad Mission.” Although they’ve never met, Zac just knows his Dad will want to meet him; and come to his 11th birthday party in May. That’s the plan anyway.
He’s had very few clues about his Dad from his Mom, Juliet and his Grandpa and Nan (Mick & Lynda). He knows his Uncle Jamie died very soon after he was born, and at young age. His Dad, Liam left them right after that. After ten years his Mom still cries about it and his Grandparents don’t seem to like Liam very much. Zac is so confused, but no one will tell him anything. Luckily his best friend, Teagan who lives near him, makes him laugh so he feels less anxious being around her.
Katy...

See Full Review
Zac wants to make his mother happy.  There's only one way to make mom happy and that will make his grandparents unhappy.  What should he do?

Berkley and Net Galley allowed me to read this book for review (thank you).  It will be published on June on June 12th.

Zac finds his mother's love and finds he loves him, too.  But he also finds out why his mother's brother died that night and how much his mother loves and how sometimes a small love can be very big.

When the whole truth comes out, who is going to be left standing?  Who will love whom?  Will there be a family any more?  For Zac there will.

Love is blind. Love is patient. Love is kind. Love is forgiving.
Sure is and oh by the way ten year old Zac is going to steal your heart in this one. Trust me!
Zac Hutchinson is a young detective (in his own right) and has an accomplice Teagan to help in solving the mystery of his DAD Liam . Of course he has a colorful M.O. (modus operandi) or a way of doing things to get the job done.
Using plenty of good ol fashioned grease work he uncovers the truth and unravels the mystery piece by piece starting with his Uncle and the connection between him and his father.
As he starts to break down the lies by weaving through the family members he becomes clearer as to not only his mission but...