Wolf Blood

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 10 Jan 2018

Wolf Blood is a fresh, new take on the apocalypse--free of zombies and nuclear fallout. It's a welcome breath of fresh air in a market that's already overly saturated with the same tropes, and for that Steve Morris deserves props. That's not to say that there aren't issues with Wolf Blood. There are several, actually. It does, however, mean that this is a title worth taking the time to read if you're sick of the same washed up material.

Professor Wiseman and his three students, Samuel, Leann, and Adam, have tucked themselves away in the Carpathians after a poorly received publication foretelling of a werewolf apocalypse is met with widespread mockery and criticism. His reputation ruined, the Professor and his students continue their research in quiet solitude--until things go wrong. All three students become infected, soon returning to London to bring back the superiority of wolves.

Let's be honest, this idea is pretty interesting and in execution, Morris does a pretty decent job. I didn't find any outwardly obvious plot holes, and that's a plus too. The book is fast-paced, making for an easy and quick read. It isn't bogged down with too much exposition, either. In fact, it might not have enough in some cases.  Fortunately, it doesn't detract too much from what's going on.

Also, characters. There are too many characters whose purpose isn't revealed in this book. Granted it's the first of a series and they probably have a reason to exist later on down the road, but ultimately I feel it would have been better if those characters were introduced later. Instead we end up with a handful of people we don't care about, and not enough time to develop feelings for those we do meet.

Morris's werewolves are an important topic of discussion too. They are somewhere in-between the romanticized version and the truly monstrous. As a fan of gore and horror, I was hoping for purely the latter--especially since it is an apocalypse book. While there is some sappiness to this crew of mangy mutts, much of their desires lean toward the more primal nature of a wolf.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this; I devoured it in just over twenty-four hours and, considering all that's going on in my life, that's a good thing. Rating wise, I'm stuck between three and four. Considering how much fun I had reading it, I've decided to lean toward the higher rating. This is definitely a fun book.

I would like to thank the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.
Well, at least I learned something about myself reading this book: I don't seem to be into werewolves. Not the blood-thirsty monster kind of werewolves, anyway. Which came as a surprise since I usually love anything dystopia, gore and monster. I love to lose myself in a good, thrilling horror flick or novel, but for some reason, werewolves don't seem to do it for me.
But that had nothing to do with Steve Morris's take on that myth.

Actually, the book was pretty good. Very atmospheric writing, gory details, well-developed characters, and an interesting plot. Yes, the many, many, many POVs the story was told from might have been a little too much for my liking, and there were a few chapters that dragged a lot, but I liked how all the threads eventually came together in the end.

It's just that I just couldn't fully connect with it. The scenes told from the wolve's perspective felt strange to me and it was hard for me to relate to some of the characters' decisions and reasonings.
Maybe my ability to see werewolves as real monsters was ruined by too many shifter romances.

There's a lot of potential for the sequel, and I'm certain there are many people out there who will eat this stuff right up.
Unfortunately, I'm not one of them.
The apocalypse is beginning

Werewolves have come to London, and subtly put their plans in motion. Their actions lost and mistaken for a rampant increase in serial killing and a new deadly plague taxing the resources of the city.

As people react to the growing panic, the growing demand on emergency services - very few people guess the truth and several people find themselves on the front line of the upcoming war.

This book is a dystopian development story, as we begin the eve of an apocalypse - this time with werewolves rather than the more traditional zombies.

Which is a grossly simplistic way to sum up this book. Like many of the good dystopians, this is less about the specific creatures in question or even their evil so much as it is a study of how society and people react to the slow collapse

Here we see a lot of insights into growing fear, panic, vigilantism and prejudice as immigrant groups in particular are scapegoated as is all too often common

One of the more unusual elements of this book is the very large number of characters, most of whom aren’t connected to each other in any real way (unless you count “living in London” which is a pretty nebulous definition of connection given the size of this city) but each of which have very different experiences, opinions and viewpoints to the creeping disaster caused by the explosion of werewolf numbers

This also includes a number of werewolf characters or characters who become werewolves, adding a level of nuance to the big dangerous threat far more so than you’d get from, say, zombies

It is interesting to see such a wide range of characters each adapting to the horrors of the growing werewolf encroachment, each of them reacting differently. My favourite and chosen protagonist is Liz the policewoman who is determined to hold this together, despite her criminally inclined father encroaching on her life and her sudden adoption of a Romanian child. I like her and I’d love to follow her story above all. There’s the reclusive agoraphobic woman, the father with Alzheimer's she cares for and her sister - who uses sex to steal from wealthy man while loving the thrill and risk of the whole thing (she’s also a character I’d kind of love to see despite not loving her storyline so far). The Sikh boy who forms an unlikely alliance with the boy bullying him as well as trying to protect his sister along with upholding and thinking on Sikh values (perhaps a little much for a young teen). The deeply religious Catholic gay teenager facing a desperate moral and ethical battle over his sinfulness of being gay and a murdering cannibal (and these being put kind of together is not… ideal, even if the storyline and his relationship to a gay Black werewolf contains more levels than this). A computer nerd who becomes an obsessive survivalist as he’s the only one who sees the way it’s going. A biker gang. A woman who may be a sociopath and her university professor. A Carribean nurse full of amazing compassion…

This means this book has a lot of diversity and representation, especially since nearly all of these characters have storylines of their own, which I definitely applaud. Especially since so many of these characters are so very compelling and with very interesting storylines

My issue with this book is it’s really really really long. Or it feels really really long. I’m not sure if it’s a bad issue, exactly, because none of this book is bad or boring or a problem. But, I’m reminded very much of early seasons of The Strain or Fear the Walking Dead - where you know where the story is going, you know we’re heading to the werewolf dystopia. Everything screams that dystopia is coming and by half way through the book I was kind of ready for the preamble to be over and for us to move on.

And on all those characters? Again. It’s long. It’s long - or feels long - because the dystopia doesn’t develop slowly but because we’re seeing each day through many many many lenses which does slow it down.

And, again, I’m torn here. I can’t say I want rid of any of these lenses. I liked these lenses a lot. I can’t point to any and say “hey, we don’t need this” (or, rather, I can say that we don’t NEED any of them - only some of them) or “I don’t want this” because I pretty much did (except maybe the biker gang). So I have a weird conflict between both loving what is here, but also wishing it moved faster but not knowing how to do it without losing something I really valued.

Despite all these many point of views… I’m still not sure I buy it. Yes, these people are spreading werewolfness unbenownst to the general public and running amok on a night - but I find it unlikely that as little epidemiology happened with the “survivors” of werewolf bites as did - or that far far more werewolves running amok in the night weren’t killed by modern weaponry. We’re told how werewolves are multiplying and we see more and more werewolves appear and the stories of those werewolves. But it all seems to hinge on the authorities being… rather blase and absent? I mean this is a plague, a serial killer and werewolves charging around London and this is the extent of the response? This isn’t some city in the north. Leeds could fall into a volcano and it’s unlikely anyone in government would notice *waves bitter northerner flag*.

I do like this book and wonder where it will go from here - especially the shades coming in from werewolf attitudes (some of these werewolves, I simply cannot see being all gung ho for genocide or taking over the world etc) which is going to add new layers of complexity for future books, raising the potential of resistances, werewolf factions and Liz being supremely awesome. All of these characters have wonderful potential for the future now the world is definitely moving towards the dystopia and as some of these characters are beginning to team up. I am intrigued. I am hooked. I am interested. I am intrigued. But I also want the excellent character stories to be backed with some movement in the world as well.
It starts with a professor, cast out of the scientific community for discovering a serum that can turn people into wolves, and ends with a rampage in London where humans are turned into killing lycanthropes.

This has such a unique premise, different from the normal apocalypse type novels, centring on wolves as opposed to zombies etc and I certainly appreciated the change of perspective. It was creative and imaginative.

The tension and general chaos that envelopes London is detailed well, and it does get very gory at times. The descriptions help to build a great sense of unease, and you do get a general feeling of dread running throughout the novel which builds well until the end. It does end rather abruptly however, and something's are left unfinished - clearly in anticipation of a sequel.

I also found the pace to be slow, and the world building is limited to the initial source of the 'outbreak'. Perhaps there is scope in further novels to explore the wider world and the viruses effects on a wider population. There is also a large number of characters to get to grips with, meaning it was sometimes difficult to grasp who was who. In addition, I struggled to gain any emotional attachment to any of them because most come across as one dimensional, and I often found that there was little chemistry between the main group of 'survivors'. Out of all of them, I liked Liz the best. A police officer and natural leader, she often holds the group together and was likeable enough to not come off as bossy or annoying. She's also the most well developed.

This was a decent read, full of atmosphere and tension and gore. Worthy of a sequel.
This book was a slog it was a struggle to get through, i normally really enjoy horror stories but this book  was not very interesting
I was given this as an ARC from NetGalley for a review.

I am not sure what to make of Wolf Blood for me I found it very slow and dragged for me so much so it took nearly a week to read it I do not like to start a book and not finished though. I really did want to enjoy Wolf Blood but this was not my cup of tea. Just because I found this to be a slow read does not mean that someone else will not like it.
It's not often that I read about an Apocalypse that isn't brought on my zombies. The background is well thought out and the book is well written. Not 100% my cup of tea, but if you like a good werewolf story, than give this a try.
Horror fans are in for a treat! These werewolves are cunning and unstoppable at spreading the lycanthropy disease. I was very excited to read this. This author pulls out all the stops so there's lots of gore and action to be had among these pages. Loved this from the moment I started reading. This is the first book in the series, so yes, it does end on a cliffhanger, but now I can't wait for book two.

We start off with Professor Norman Wiseman who is studying the lycanthropy disease in Romania when unfortunate mishaps occur. Then the rest of this takes place in London where the werewolf apocalypse spreads like the plague. This switches around to the different characters this book centers around. Amazing details give this authenticity. You're in for a wild ride.

Reviewed by Janet of the GothicMoms Review Team
This book sort of fell flat for me. I am usually a huge fan of werewolves but j felt like the characters and the wkrld had little dimension.
I have to admit that this book caught me completely by surprised. I totally freaking loved it! The word building is intense and the characters are very well developed. This story starts off with Professor Wiseman proving that werewolves do exist, or in this case Lycanthropy. While he is discredited and basically called all manners of names by his peers, his students believe him. Case in point 3 of his students have turned from human into werewolves. Veritable shapeshifters and their plan is to change every human and infect them with the same virus. Lol. I love werewolves and this story took me on a totally different ride and I was pleasantly thrilled. Great start to a wonderful series!!! Well done Mr. Morris, truly well done. 5 Rip-Roaring, tear out your throat, in this case literally, stars!!!!!
With the popularity of George Romero movies, The Walking Dead, and any of the many other zombie movies out recently, Steve Morris has shown us the true coming of the Apocalypse. With Lycanthropic, Morris has created a new series, of which Wolf Blood is the first installment, in which the werewolf is the true harbinger of the End Times. .
Professor Norman Wiseman has discovered that werewolves do exist, but his warning to the world falls on a disbelieving scientific community. He is discredited, but his students not only believe but eagerly become the creatures. In their human state, they do what they can to create more of their kind. This does not bode well for the rest of humanity, to say the least.
Morris has created a new series, just released on January 1st, that is spellbinding in its telling. These characters, both antagonists and protagonists, are very well-crafted, and the story itself is a masterpiece, intertwining several smaller storylines into one fantastic tale. The pace of the action is gripping, with a sense of impending doom that will not let the reader put the book down until the end.
My only regret reading this novel is that I will have to wait so long until the second book,  Wolf Moon, is released. Steve Morris has won over a new fan, and I'm sure the rest of the series will continue to leave his mark on the horror genre.
Wolf Blood reads completely unlike most other werewolf novels out there. For one thing, it isn't a curse and the focus is on science not magic or the esoteric, which I found made a refreshing change. In fact it read more like a zombie apocalypse scenario but with werewolves rather than zombies and that really worked for me. Morris gives the story the time it needs, building the suspense and holding back the monster - again unlike most other werewolf stories which to focus less on world building and more on short, violent animalistic action sequences. The  characters were engaging and I was quickly hooked. I can't wait to see how the rest of this series turns out. Those who enjoyed Mira Grant's 'Feed' series would probably enjoy this as it's in the same science-horror vein. Highly recommend.
Steve Morris hit it out of the park with this amazing book. I love apocalyptic books, but it seems like the same thing every time...zombies. To have a book where the spreading virus is lycanthropy is not only refreshing, but truly exciting. Getting to see how the virus spread and the research the professor made this book move to the top of my favorites list. I absolutely love horror books and I cannot wait to read more of this series.
Wolf Blood is the first book in a new werewolf series that should appeal to fans of good old-fashioned horror. Be forewarned, this is a far cry from the typical trend of young adult/paranormal romance werewolf books that have been the trend as of late, which is definitely not a criticism. This book gets right to the point, opening up in the forests of Romania in the dead of winter where a professor has himself holed up in a cabin where he's been experimenting with a virus that brings about lycanthropy in some victims. The virus breaks loose, spreading from the forests of Romania to London. These aren't your typical blood thirsty werewolves. They begin unleashing an evil plot to spread the disease throughout the human population, leading to the beginnings of a werewolf apocalypse. Readers should be warned that the story does contain some hints of homosexuality.   Great opening to a promising new series. I was a little taken back by the number of characters introduced, but everything seemed to come together towards the end. The writing was a good pace and had some very interesting characters. The werewolves still came across as being human and staying true to their human instincts, even while in wolf form. The book was definitely gory, but not too over the top. I absolutely would be interested in continuing to read this series.
Werewolves abound in the fast paced read. I love reading about werewolves but usually you have vampires mixed in also. Not the case in this book. This book does not disappoint. Enjoyed it immensely.
4 stars

Please be aware that is a cliffhanger of sorts. The next in this series is to be published.

Dr. Wiseman is in trouble. He is the author of a breakthrough treatise on lycanthropy – the changes exhibited in people who complete the transformation from human to wolf. He was laughed out of the scientific community. Even his friends abandoned him. He retreated to the Carpathian Mountains with three research assistants. Slowly, the students became infected with the disease.

Some moths later in London, the three students embark upon an orgy of murder and mayhem in the streets of London. Human by day, wolf during the full moon, the students, Leanna, Adam and Samuel run amok. As they bite people. About half of their victims – those that don’t die outright – become wolves themselves.

An unusual team is loosely formed: Liz who is a police officer, Chris who is a computer genius but has to work as an IT guy at the high school because he “has no people skills”; Vijay, Drake and Rosie are high school students. The killings seem to be centered around the kids’ high school.

People are being killed and are disappearing. People are going berserk. Chris calls is the werewolf apocalypse. This is the story of the battle between our brave heroes and the werewolves for control of London. This book has action and bloodletting. All of our intrepid heroes meet their Armageddon’s in the final showdown of the book.

This book is fairly well written and plotted. It is written in a simplistic manner – not to say simple-minded, but easy to read. The tension begins immediately with the problems of Professor Wiseman. It continues throughout the story. I liked Liz a great deal. The rest of our cast of heroes, with the exception of Vijay, well, not so much. They were transparent and shallow. It was an interesting theory and a reasonably enjoyable read. It was a good way in which to waste a day.

I want to thank NetGalley and Landmark Media for forwarding a copy of this book to me to read.
I received an advance copy from net galley for review.

It can be hard to do a good werewolf story. They usually fall into 2 categories. The old school type story of "i'm cursed" story line like the original wolf man film, or the earth protector, wolf pack story line, like twilight and such.

This is neither and incredibly refreshing. I really enjoyed the book. It starts out with a Professor Wiseman  in a cabin in the carpathian mountains. He is trapped in this cabin with two former student assistants howling outside in the distance. The feeling of dread is palpable. The opening reminds me a bit of the evil dead film in a way,trapped in a cabin. It seems that the Professor was studying his theory of a new "disease/plague" that he believed was coming involving Lycanthropy. 2 of his 3 assistants were already werewolves and what happens to the 3 person I  will not spoil. Just read the book.

After the opening scene with the professor we move ahead in time to London. This is where we again meet the professors assistants now planning to spread the "disease" of lycanthropy throughout London and the world. The story from this premise branches out into multiple characters and situations. I was impressed with the large cast of characters this book has. This being the 1st in a series the author has given us a ton of characters stories to explore. If I have any gripe about the story is that I wish the main assistants stories were more fleshed out.

This is a violent gory werewolf story. There are no twilight werewolves here. The different character stories are engaging and how the author brings these characters together in the end is believable and rewarding. I am so glad that I was able to read this book for review. As soon as I finished it, I went out and preordered it on amazon to show my support and be informed when the next chapter of this story is published.

If you like a good werewolf story this is must read. It is an outbreak story like a zombie book but with Werewolves who are cunning,devious, vicious and manipulative. I can't wait to see how this story evolves.
My genre is romance but very occasionally a book comes along that pulls me out of my romance filled comfort zone and this was one of those books.
I can’t even tell you exactly what it was about the cover and the blurb that drew me in but it did.

Honestly this book wasn’t exactly what I expected and that’s not a criticism at all, it was more.

I want to say it’s a slow build but that’s not exactly true it starts in the Carpathian Mountains of Romania where Professor Norman Wiseman is holed up.
It’s safe to say his life has definitely taken a turn for the worst. Until recently he’d been Professor of Emerging Diseases but after making an unbelievable discovery (that a virus was responsible for transmitting the wolf genes from one host to another) his confidential paper had been leaked to the Press who dubbed him Professor Wolfman or Doctor Werewolf. Now he’s in Romania with what were three students.

It moves at a steady pace the author doesn’t rush, he builds the story along with the characters. We get to know and understand them a little and at times they felt so real and I found myself completely hooked.
I never knew which character he would kill or contaminate next which I found both interesting and annoying at the same time.
Talking of characters there’s some incredible and interesting ones here and I’m struggling to let them go, I really wish the next book was available.

I’m so glad I requested this, I did pause for a while unsure if it would be too violent or bloody for me but it wasn’t. It was also great to read a book set in Britain, a rarity for me these days.

I’ve no idea how many books are in this series but I’m hooked and in for the long haul.

I voluntarily read a review copy kindly provided by NetGalley and Landmark Media.