The Washington Decree

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Dec 2019

Jussi Adler-Olsen, author of The Washington Decree--a stand alone book, has written seven books in the Department Q series 'starring' lead detective Carl Morck (in Danish, that o has a line through it!).  I reviewed one of them last Fall.  They are definitely Danish Noir, gripping and full of social commentary.  Often they are laugh out-loud funny which makes them real page turners in spite of the sometimes shocking murders.  If you haven't read them, I highly encourage you to read them in order but read them!!

The Washington Decree is Adler-Olsen's latest social commentary and he takes on the United States and it's government. In fact, it is an American horror...

See Full Review
This may be a preview of how the rest of the world views the likelihood of another American revolution. In the popular Scandinavian thriller genre, Adler-Olsen has enjoyed wide success, but this over the top tale of treason and betrayal in a country riven by political chicanery instigated by a charlatan who's managed to get himself to the second highest office in the country is barely worth finishing.
I almost didn't read this book; so many "digital dummies" are writing these thinly veiled "current" novels and I was afraid this was much of the same.

YOU WILL LIKE THIS, if you read it as a novel based on the facts of this strange thing called EXECUTIVE orders, the same orders that allowed the last American wonder leader to assassinate (by drone) an AMERICAN citizen

Our country is only going to get scarier, this book gives you a possible peek into our future.

I am unable to give this book any stars due to the fact I was unable to finish reading it.

I really tried to read this book. I really did. I was unable to complete more then 39% of the book. I consider myself to be a vote by the person not the party here in the USA. I did not vote for Trump. I was not happy with the idea of Hillary Clinton either to be honest, but I did vote for her because I felt she was the better choice between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump.

I also feel the need to put in here that I suffer from chronic depression & severe anxiety. These two things combine makes my life, along with my other medical illnesses, very difficult and sometimes what I watch and read...

See Full Review

It would have been much more pleasant to read this when it was originally published in Denmark in 2006, so I could have tut-tut-ed over how ridiculous the plot was. Now, it’s all too realistic, depressing and frightening, and reminds one of how possible it is that things could even get worse in the United States.

The book begins in 1992 when Bruce Jansen, the Governor of Virginia, suggested a new geography quiz show he would help fund. The winners would get to accompany him, his staff, and an official Chinese delegation on a trip to China. Those on the trip included single mother Rosalie Lee, who won first prize; a small-town sheriff, T. Perkins, who came in second; and in third place...

See Full Review
I have read several of Jussi Adler-Olsen’s previous books. I very much like him as a writer and I thought  this book was no different. While this book was quite contrast to his previous novel I had read, I feel like this is the first book that really got me thinking.the plot was pretty out there, but I still couldn’t help being utterly engaged throughout. While there was no real “main” character in my mind that the reader was to root for, I couldn’t help but root for everyone as a whole to succeed. I really enjoyed this book an look forward to more books from Adler-Olsen in the future.

Thank you to Dutton and Jussi Adler-Olsen for providing me with an advanced reading copy.
Adler-Olsen delivers once again with a twisty, challenging thriller peopled by richly described characters.  A joy to read.
Loved this book. Didn’t want it to end.  Highly recommend.

Love love love.  Incredible book.  Fabulous book club pick too
I didn't make it past the first few pages of this one--the writing style just didn't work for me. It just didn't hold my attention.
The structure of the narrative in this story is told in a way that made it feel like I was being told the story in asomewhat long form storytelling way. Initially I liked this method however a few chapters in and I found it to feel monotonous and it seemed to have lost the high tension level that was initially present. The plot became too over the top for me with extreme coincidences - how likely is it the same man, a high profile political man to top it off - has the same incidence happen years apart? It seemed very unlikely to me and I lost interest in the story quickly after that. Overall, just too implausible
An interesting book that makes you think who really is in charge. Who make the decisions, how powerful is the president? How are decisions made and who has the power to disagree and question. This would make a great movie.
The Washington Decree by Jussi Adler-Olsen is a frightening fascinating thriller. Once I started reading the novel I felt compelled to read it through to the end. I felt I was witnessing the destruction of the United States as . we know it. It is a story of good vs evil and thank God the good side wins in the end.At least I hope so. The very ending led me to wonder what really might happen if Olsen wants to write a continuation or sequel. I enjoyed this book and recommend it to anyone interest in government, politics and our country. Olsen included a love story in the novel.

The author is Danish, writes in Danish, but has evolved a wide audience in the rest of the world via translations and the well written novels he turns out. His knowledge of the political system in the United States; it's constitutional checks and balances is certainly evident in the background and presentation of the "Washington Decree". Although he is mainly known internationally for his books featuring "Department Q" this novel is a well done stand alone and includes one of the most mesmerizing conspiracy plots I have seen in a long time.
The leading characters met 16 years prior to the opening of The Washington Decree during a trip to China and the five...