In the Heat of the Tropics

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 08 Jan 2018

I voluntarily read this advanced readers copy of this book.  Strong characters and a great story line.  I can't wait to read more work from Christina either.  I just couldn't put this book down once I started reading it.  I was very well entertained and excited reading it.
I received an ARC from Netgalley. This book had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I also felt the chemistry between Rick and Ingrid. Great read.
This was a good enough read, there just wasn't anything in it that really gripped me. Ingrid and Rick seemed like nice people and the bedroom seemed hot but there actual interactions were a bit too lukewarm for me.

I like the instant attraction between Ingrid the report and Rick the undercover cop at the very beginning and then the immediate problem that arises. It was refreshing to read a book that pulled you in almost immediately. An added bonus, Elliott allowing is in the mind of the serial killer to witness his plotting and planning and mostly his depravity.

This was a very interesting and suspenseful plot not just with a serial killer, but with the dynamics between Ingrid and Rick. There is a conflict of interest with Rick being the lead detective and Ingrid being the blood thirsty press always on his tail. They each hold doubts and fear the other are using them and have a hard time working it...

See Full Review

OMG!! If it weren’t for laughing so hard (and not in a good way) through most of this book, I would have DNF’d very early. I can’t believe the 5 star ratings on Goodreads.

There are going to be many spoilers in this review because there is no way to explain how bad this book is without them.

You know who the killer is right from the beginning because we’re told things from his POV, so there’s no real mystery. We also hear both Rick and Ingrid’s POV.

Rick Gonzalez is an undercover narcotics officer who blows his cover by being videoed near the police chief during a press conference. His cover is blown because he’s more concerned with Ingrid seeing him and making sure she doesn’t leave...

See Full Review

Ingrid Sorenson is a crime beat reporter who is haunting the police department for news of a serial killer .. once who worked the same area last year and was never caught. Whoever this killer is, he's targeting the men looking to hook up with ladies of the street.

Rick Sanchez is the lead homicide detective and he's finding it really hard to concentrate. He looks are her and sees pretty ... but she's also pushy, brazen, yet dedicated to her work. She looks at him and sees handsome, but antagonistic and rude. Yes .. they are attracted to each other.

As the cops follow the clues, Ingrid follows the cops for the story of the year .... and when she gets an anonymous phone...

3.5

Romantic suspense.  Cop vs reporter, both trying to solve a serial killer case.

I believe this is a debut and it is not bad at all. But not great either. The first chapters were a bit hard to get through, but after a while the writing was so much better. I think I expected some love/hate story but Rick and Ingrid quite easily connected after some first hurdles. The storyline was fine.
Although I normally woukd not mention it: the sex scenes were a bit strange. It was as if the author was using all known synonyms for male and female parts, but in a strange way.
Maybe the author should adjust some of these scenes as it seemed comedic instead of sexy and hot.
In the Heat of the Tropics, is a great suspense romance novel. I love a good who done it book. However one of the last sex scene was written in a way that I laughed through it. Using words like "the orchid of her sex" and "feminine nectar". And for Rick's part words like "pearly drops of his virile essence" and so much more. I'm just glad that all of the sex scenes weren't written so poetically, or I would have had a hard time taking it seriously.