For Castle and Crown

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

The book has a nice clean story. Both characters are interesting as well as the secondary characters like her father and Sister margarert.  The pace of the story was good all the way to 3/4 of the book. It was then that the book got slow .  But if you are looking for a good book that doesn't have steamy scenes this book is a good choice!
I was very pleased with this book. I've read other books from this author before but not in this genre.

The narrative was compelling, the history and time period were fascinating, and the main characters thoroughly engaging. I liked how both Pippa and Edmund stood on their own, and well they completed each other together, They helped each other and those around them, and brought the villains down as well. They went through many trials and totally deserved their happy ending. I loved how their relationship picked up and developed sweetly into something more.
Great ending.

Highly recommend.
For Castle and Crown is a historical novel. It is based in fact and some if the characters actually existed.
Written during the crusades when King Richard was taken captive and held for ransom. Meanwhile his younger brother, Was trying to switch allegiance to his side.
Life during that time is as described. Nuns did help the castle with medical assistance.
A book that has people that actually existed, history interwoven with a back story, tfir me are some of the best novels. This one is exceptionally, and excellently written.
5 Stars
Engaging plot, realistic conflict, and relatable characters in a medieval backdrop where the hero is righteous yet not without flaws and the heroine refuses to be a damsel in distress. A childhood friendship made stronger by their emotional scars and that eventually blossoms into love. For Castle and Crown is a clean historical romance laced with the intrigue and discord of Richard the Lionheart’s time. Llywelyn the Great makes a cameo, and Prince John is as unlikable as ever.

This book was amazing! the story line, the twists, the turns, & never knowing for sure who the bad guy was until close to the end. It kept me reading most of the night & most of the next day. The story line was the basic hero saves damsel, but told in such a way that it is unique & different.

The historical aspect of the story was well researched & you could actually feel the tension that would have been present during that time in history between Prince John, King Richard, the Dukes, & the Welsh. It was done, though, in such a way that it was interesting & kept you hooked in the reading.

If you like historical romance novels or even just historical novels then I...

See Full Review
Another fabulous story by Sian. Her stories of Wales and the Welsh people are wonderful. Makes me want to visit these places!

I loved this Christian medieval romance. Childhood romance blooms into true love...sigh. A foundation of friendship is always the best for lasting love, so it's satisfying to see it written into romance. Having both characters able to relate to one another's pain was effectively dramatic, and having them find relief from their introversion by truly helping others is important. I loved that Pippa quite forgot her own scars when someone else's needs became forefront in her thoughts, however it seemed a tiny bit far fetched that she was able to merge back into full society so quickly with her marriage -it would have been a bit more realistic if she had hesitated a bit more over...

See Full Review
I received an ARC from NetGalley for this book.

Unfortunately, I did not realize this was an inspirational/religious-centric and therefore I do not feel qualified to give an unbiased review of this work.

When Lord Edmund returns from fighting alongside King Richard in the Crusades, he finds that his brother has died in a fire and he is now the duke. He also finds that his childhood friend, Pippa, was injured in the fire, and while she has relocated to a nearby convent to heal, Edmund finds himself hoping she won't take her vows to become a nun. As he sets about to rebuild his burned castle, Edmund also must defend his right to be duke from those who are hoping to replace him. As the dangers around them increase, Pippa realizes she's stronger than she thought and that, working with Edmund, she can contribute more than she believed.

This is my favorite of Sian Ann Bessey's...

See Full Review

I have to say historical books are kind of my thing. I just love been transported back into a time I can not experienced in real life. Bessey's medieval romance set in the backdrop of the political uncertainty England faced while Richard the Lion Heart was held prisoner.

One aspect of this novel that I really appreciated was that the main protagonist Phillipa is not cookie cutter perfect in the looks department, in many ways this is a refreshing change. Pippa's struggles with her disfigurement felt real, you feel her pain and anguish that people won't accept her. Her and Edmund's love story was a joy to escape too.

The only real issue I had with this book was that the...

See Full Review

Sian Ann Bessey has quickly become one of my favorites, and once again I was completely transported to medieval times and immersed in the story. I loved the characters from the beginning and really felt for them with the intense trials they endured with strength. It has a steady pace with action interspersed and a climax that had me biting my nails! Childhood friendship that blossoms into love is one of my favorite types of romance, and I thoroughly enjoyed the sweet relationship between Edmund and Pippa. There are powerful themes of loyalty, sacrifice, and inner beauty that made the story deeper and more meaningful. Highly recommend!!!

(I received a complimentary copy of the book; all...

See Full Review

I received an ARC copy from netgalley for my honest review,  so thank you netgalley and publishers for offering me this book! ♡
This story is a about Lord Edmund, he returns home from the crusades after travelling and witnessing the capture of King Richard. He left as a second son, and returns as Duke after the death of his brother. Lady Phillipa, his childhood friend, was injured in the suspicious fire that killed Edmund’s brother, and is hiding and healing at the nearby convent. While Edmund adjusts to the role of leadership and protects his castle from ambitious neighbors, and Phillipa heals her mind and body, their friendship grows into something more.
This was my first book by this...

See Full Review
I absolutely ADORED this book.

It is no secret that I am not a fan of romance novels. Mostly because authors tend to think that a romance novel needs horrible misunderstandings or detailed sexual encounters. Sian Ann Bessey however, redefines those notions and had this reader hooked from the very first page. This book is full of delicious history, all that is beautiful about the medieval world, from lords to ladies, heroes to maidens. 'For Castle and Crown' was impossible to put down, and a book that has stayed with me long after I turned the last page.
This is a good, interesting book. It is suspenseful and engrossing.  The history is also fascinating.

For Castle and Crown
Genre: Medieval Historical Romance
Tropes: Emotional/Physical Scars, Friends to lovers, Nobility, Return home, Peril to hero/heroine
Spiciness: Very Mild.

This is the story of Lord Edmund, as he returns home from the crusades after travelling with, and witnessing the capture of, King Richard. He left as a second son, and returns as Duke after the death of his brother. Lady Phillipa, his childhood friend, was injured in the suspicious fire that killed Edmund’s brother, and is hiding and healing at the nearby convent. While Edmund adjusts to the role of leadership and protects his castle from ambitious neighbors, and Phillipa heals her mind and body, their friendship...

See Full Review

Lord Edmund of Hawksford returns home to find things much changed. With Edmund's brother, the duke, and his new bride having recently died in a fire, Edmund has inherited everything. Edmund is even more devastated when he learns his childhood friend, Pippa, almost perished in that same fire. Although Pippa has removed herself to a nearby nunnery, Edmund cannot resist reaching out to her.

Edmund plans to make a new life at Hawksford, but he wants his good friend Pippa by his side. He doesn't see scars when he looks at Pippa, only beauty, and Edmund is determined to make her realize she has not lost her worth. Together they come to the realization that the fire was not accidental...

See Full Review

Lord Edmund returns from several long, hard years fighting with and for King Richard to find his home a shadow of what it had once been. Lady Philippa, scarred from a tragedy, helps the new Duke find the truth.

These two characters lept from the page for me. Edmund was an honorable hero and it wasn't hard to be on his side right from the start. Philippa was the same. She was kind and gentle and had an independent spirit appropriate for the time period.

The mystery did keep me guessing right up until the villain was revealed. The plot moved at a steady pace and was not hard to follow. It put me in mind of Robin Hood, without the outlaw part, if that makes any sense.

This is a...

See Full Review
Review	Sweet romance with some action. Very fast and light right, but I enjoyed it and did entertain me. I enjoyed this glimpse into medieval day-to-day life. Thank you publisher and netgalley for this arc in exchange
What a great book, set in the early centuries. Loved the friends and family themes all through the book as well as the royalty back then
I wanted to like this book and if had been a simple love story between Pipa and Edmund, I would have liked it. But with all the other drama going on, it just felt forced.