For Castle and Crown

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 24 Jan 2018

Medieval romance with intrigue, good characters and story line. New author for me and will look up her other books.

Ebook from netgalley and publishers with thanks. Opinions are entirely my own.
What a disappointment. Not well written at all. I had high hopes for this as a historical fiction lover and english and history student-but this was not what I was expecting. Poor execution of plot and characters. Had such a hard time that I wasn't able to finish this book.

I saw the cover, read the synopsis and could barely resist this book (although I had some reservations knowing its a Mormon Publisher). I have a weakness for Medieval Fiction. It is a weakness because in my insatiable desire to snap up anything remotely Medieval in the inspy genre, I've encountered some novels that were very poor; silly, inaccurate, formulaic or cliched and others that just seemed like rip-offs from movies.

'For Castle and Crown' did not fall into either camp. It was a solid story, with an adventure and romance element, which remained sweet and mostly clean, except for one non-detailed reference to an attempted sexual assault, and some touching.
I liked the...

See Full Review

A medieval romance set during the turbulent years of King Richard the Lionheart’s captivity in Germany, For Castle And Crown follows Lord Edmund of Hawksford as he returns to claim his ancestral home in the Welsh Marches. A younger son, Edmund never wanted to claim the title, but the death of his brother in a fire a few months previously has left him no choice. It’s a difficult time in England, though, especially for those loyal to Richard, as Prince John seeks to cement his claim to the crown.

Philippa was severely burned in the same fire that killed Edmund’s brother. Sequestering herself in a nearby nunnery, she plans to take vows, certain no man will ever be able to overlook her scars...

See Full Review
Fun romance filled with knights in shining armor and damsels in distress!  Great escapest read. I love duke Edmond and Pippa!

3.5 Stars. I chose this book because I noticed she was an LDS author and I hadn’t read anything by her before. I’ll be sure to read more from her now, it was enjoyable.
This is set during medieval times. Edmund comes home from fighting beside King Richard to discover his home and castle have changed over the years. His older brother and wife died in a fire destroying a wing in his home, and Edmund is now the new Duke. His childhood best friend, Pippa also changed while he was gone into a beautiful woman. However, she hides in the Abby self conscience of her skin that was damaged in the fire. He tries to convince her that everyone has scars, even himself.
It doesn’t take long to learn...

See Full Review
A well written engaging book with just the right amount of romance and intriguing to keep on utterly engaged until the very end. I loved the main characters and how their stories played out and how their romance grows throughout the book.

This was such an amazing book! From the very beginning I couldn't put it down. There was such a great mix of action and adventure with a sweet clean romance- I loved it!

I really enjoyed the two main characters, Edmund and Pippa. Each had their own personal struggles and trials to overcome, but yet their first thought was always of others.

One can only imagine what Edmund must be feeling and going through as he finally arrives home but with such sad and heavy news. To add to that, he must bear the weight of being the new duke and living a life he never planned on.

Pippa was another favorite. She was smart, spunky and brave, despite everything that happened to her. While her...

See Full Review
The book has a nice clean story. Both characters are interesting as well as the secondary characters like her father and Sister margarert.  The pace of the story was good all the way to 3/4 of the book. It was then that the book got slow .  But if you are looking for a good book that doesn't have steamy scenes this book is a good choice!
I was very pleased with this book. I've read other books from this author before but not in this genre.

The narrative was compelling, the history and time period were fascinating, and the main characters thoroughly engaging. I liked how both Pippa and Edmund stood on their own, and well they completed each other together, They helped each other and those around them, and brought the villains down as well. They went through many trials and totally deserved their happy ending. I loved how their relationship picked up and developed sweetly into something more.
Great ending.

Highly recommend.
For Castle and Crown is a historical novel. It is based in fact and some if the characters actually existed.
Written during the crusades when King Richard was taken captive and held for ransom. Meanwhile his younger brother, Was trying to switch allegiance to his side.
Life during that time is as described. Nuns did help the castle with medical assistance.
A book that has people that actually existed, history interwoven with a back story, tfir me are some of the best novels. This one is exceptionally, and excellently written.
5 Stars
Engaging plot, realistic conflict, and relatable characters in a medieval backdrop where the hero is righteous yet not without flaws and the heroine refuses to be a damsel in distress. A childhood friendship made stronger by their emotional scars and that eventually blossoms into love. For Castle and Crown is a clean historical romance laced with the intrigue and discord of Richard the Lionheart’s time. Llywelyn the Great makes a cameo, and Prince John is as unlikable as ever.

This book was amazing! the story line, the twists, the turns, & never knowing for sure who the bad guy was until close to the end. It kept me reading most of the night & most of the next day. The story line was the basic hero saves damsel, but told in such a way that it is unique & different.

The historical aspect of the story was well researched & you could actually feel the tension that would have been present during that time in history between Prince John, King Richard, the Dukes, & the Welsh. It was done, though, in such a way that it was interesting & kept you hooked in the reading.

If you like historical romance novels or even just historical novels then I...

See Full Review
Another fabulous story by Sian. Her stories of Wales and the Welsh people are wonderful. Makes me want to visit these places!

I loved this Christian medieval romance. Childhood romance blooms into true love...sigh. A foundation of friendship is always the best for lasting love, so it's satisfying to see it written into romance. Having both characters able to relate to one another's pain was effectively dramatic, and having them find relief from their introversion by truly helping others is important. I loved that Pippa quite forgot her own scars when someone else's needs became forefront in her thoughts, however it seemed a tiny bit far fetched that she was able to merge back into full society so quickly with her marriage -it would have been a bit more realistic if she had hesitated a bit more over...

See Full Review
I received an ARC from NetGalley for this book.

Unfortunately, I did not realize this was an inspirational/religious-centric and therefore I do not feel qualified to give an unbiased review of this work.

When Lord Edmund returns from fighting alongside King Richard in the Crusades, he finds that his brother has died in a fire and he is now the duke. He also finds that his childhood friend, Pippa, was injured in the fire, and while she has relocated to a nearby convent to heal, Edmund finds himself hoping she won't take her vows to become a nun. As he sets about to rebuild his burned castle, Edmund also must defend his right to be duke from those who are hoping to replace him. As the dangers around them increase, Pippa realizes she's stronger than she thought and that, working with Edmund, she can contribute more than she believed.

This is my favorite of Sian Ann Bessey's...

See Full Review

I have to say historical books are kind of my thing. I just love been transported back into a time I can not experienced in real life. Bessey's medieval romance set in the backdrop of the political uncertainty England faced while Richard the Lion Heart was held prisoner.

One aspect of this novel that I really appreciated was that the main protagonist Phillipa is not cookie cutter perfect in the looks department, in many ways this is a refreshing change. Pippa's struggles with her disfigurement felt real, you feel her pain and anguish that people won't accept her. Her and Edmund's love story was a joy to escape too.

The only real issue I had with this book was that the...

See Full Review

Sian Ann Bessey has quickly become one of my favorites, and once again I was completely transported to medieval times and immersed in the story. I loved the characters from the beginning and really felt for them with the intense trials they endured with strength. It has a steady pace with action interspersed and a climax that had me biting my nails! Childhood friendship that blossoms into love is one of my favorite types of romance, and I thoroughly enjoyed the sweet relationship between Edmund and Pippa. There are powerful themes of loyalty, sacrifice, and inner beauty that made the story deeper and more meaningful. Highly recommend!!!

(I received a complimentary copy of the book; all...