Cover Image: Murder Notes

Murder Notes

This is a highly intense, nail biting, murder mystery that’s suspense will leave you on the edge of your seat, screaming for answers, and justice for all. Lilah Love, the very sexy intense criminal profiler for the FBI is also a woman with a very deep dark past, so deep it haunts her through her career. She is at the top of her game with the nickname "murder girl.” Because of her ability to crack cases. Living in California she is called back to her homeland of the Hamptons to help them solve a murder believed to be the work of an assassin, precisely what she is stellar doing and forces her to head home and confront the demons of her past. Even though she made a commitment to herself that she would never go back she has no choice as this type of crime is her expertise.

The most significant person from her past who will always make her blood boil in all the ways one should and should not is the head of the mob, Kane Mendez her ex-boyfriend. He's a man with ties to the mob and with a set of questionable morals. He still wants Lilah and Lilah no matter how much she wants to she can’t escape the emotional ties she has to him; their chemistry is toxic. Her past is his to own as well.
After returning and working with the Hampton police department who her brother Andrew is the chief of police who doesn't like Lilah investigating the case. Her father, a man of stature, who is possibly behind all of this…. has her feeling off…yet she continues to do what she is charged to do…. hence while she is back there is another murder (assassination) but the bottom line is that Lilah thinks it's possible they are all involved in some way with the murders. Trusting no one she turns to Mendez for answers, sex and a common denominator (find out who is behind these murders). He needs to clear his name.
It's an uncanny and very uncomfortable situation because her family is clearly tied up in these murders but she unable to find the clues…. because just when she gets close they another murder occurs….
This romance suspense will leave you wanting answers and so much more, you will want to be a character in this high yielding novel of thrills, spins, twists and emotional torment. A cliffhanger that has you craving the second novel of this series “Murder Girl”
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review. I really enjoyed this book and highly recommend to everyone.
This was not my favorite book from Lisa Renee Jones.  I tried and tried to get into this book knowing that it was book 1 in a series., but I just couldn't do it.  Because of this, I cannot rate this book fairly.  I will not be posting a review on my social media sites.  I am so sorry.  Even though this book didn't work for me, doesn't mean that I don't love Lisa Renee Jones.

~ Heidi Pharo
I  was super excited to read murder notes by Lisa Renee Jones as it’s been forever since I’ve read a book by her. I read her “If I Were You” series which I enjoyed, but didn’t like that I had to purchase more books to find out the ending. Now I like to only read stand alone novels or books in a series with no cliffhangers. I like a resolution/end to my books.
Sadly for me this was a long book filled with repetition for me. It was an okay read for me but I won’t be continuing with the series.
A very special thank you to Montlake Romance via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
Lisa Renee Jones is a pure genius when it comes to mystery-type books. For me, though, Murder Notes fell a little flat. I wasn’t able to connect with the characters as good as I normally do and this is a big reason why it didn’t live up to the hype.

With that said, the plot was good and I kept reading until the end. Lilah Love’s investigation and everything that she’s lived through up until this point in the book was interesting and made me want to keep going, even if the story in general was a little slow for me.

This book doesn’t end well for me either. It just kind of stops when everything is just getting better so you’ll definitely want to have book 2 on hand or else you’ll be left kind of mad.

Overall, I will continue to support and read LRJ because she’s just that amazing, but Murder Notes isn’t one of my favorites by her.
3.5 Stars

Murder Notes is the first book in Lisa Renee Jones’s series about FBI Special Agent Lilah Love.  It’s also the first time I have read this author.  Murder Notes was a good book.  It could have been great, but I felt like it started off slower than it should have considering the fact that Lilah curses like a sailor and is a hot mess.  That generally makes for a fun-loving thrill ride based on other books I have read similar to this one.  Considering the subject matter, maybe I just set my expectations too high.

Lilah Love has been in Los Angeles for two years and she has nightmares about something that happened to her back in her hometown of The Hamptons.  Interestingly enough, her most recent case has similarities to that incident.  To add insult to injury, a murder in The Hamptons, similar to her current case gets her sent back to her hometown to find out if it is the work of a serial killer.  Without giving too much away, let’s say Lilah’s past and present collide on multiple levels.  Her brother is the Police Chief in The Hamptons and her father is running for office.  In addition, her ex-boyfriend Kane Mendez is now running his alleged crime family.  All of this makes matters very complicated considering Lilah is sure her family and so called friends may be connected to both her shadowy past and this somewhat shady present.  The suspect list gets longer as Lilah gets deeper into the investigation.

There are a lot of layers to Murder Notes.  That’s both good and bad.  The complexity of the investigation makes the book very interesting.  Where I had issue is that when I finally got into a rhythm, the book ended.  I can’t even say that it ended on a cliffhanger, it just ended.  Clearly, it continues in the next book but I wish I had known that ahead of time.  I felt let down and that I had wasted my time getting invested.  I will definitely read the next book, Murder Girl, because I have to know the whodunnit but I hope the second book continues at a faster pace than how this one started.  Lilah Love is a likeable character and I really want to know how she figures this all out and how this will affect her future.
I generally love this Author but there was something about this book that just didn't click well with me.  I pushed through, but never really felt that connection.  I will absolutely continue to try her work as I think maybe this subject just wasn't for me.
**I received this book from Montlake Romance through NetGalley for an honest review.**

Lilah Love and all of her stripper name glory is an FBI profiler. There have been a string of murders that seem to be happening just to catch her attention. Having moved from the East Coast to LA, she’s summoned back to her hometown to investigate a murder that fits the same profile as the ones in LA.

This was a story that you had to take notes for or you’d be completely lost trying to remember who was who. Things started out a little slow for my liking but after some time, I was for sure intrigued. It seemed like everyone in the Hamptons was beyond shady so it made it even harder to try and guess who was behind all of this mess.

I thought Lilah was cool though. Her no nonsense, straight to the point, don’t even think about wasting my time attitude was pretty bad A. I thought her decision making in regards to her past secret could have been handled better but we wouldn’t haven’t this story if it was. I’m for sure curious what kind of answers are to come.
It gets harder and harder to write a review for Lisa Renee Jones.  I think I am seriously looking forward to a story from her that I don't love, that maybe disappoints me just a little.  Well, I didn't get disappointed with Murder Notes.  As usual, the story is fluid, filled with suspense and has me thoroughly convinced that I will not figure out this mystery any time soon.  So, if you ask me why I love this author and her stories, it's because she does keep me in suspense, doesn't make anything obvious and she just has an eloquent way with words.
Lilah Love … Murder Girl.  A woman with a past that is still a little confusing to me.  She's the best profiler the FBI has. She has a knack of putting scenes together, figuring out the messages and solving the crime.  Unfortunately for her, she just may be part of the reason these murders are happening.  She has to confront her past, deal with her father, her ex-best-friend, her brother, a duplicitous woman, a detective that is determined to close the case and her ex-lover all while trying to piece together three murders that just may lay her sins at everyone's feet and show her a side to her father that she doesn't want to believe.
As for Kane, I'm really not sure who he is on the inside.  Yes, we know he is part of her past.  He has hinted that he never took eyes off of her even though she was 3000 miles away.  But what, if anything, does he have to do with the murders?  He is a confusing man who may have some knowledge of what is really going on, swears that he isn't the man his father way and has nothing to do with the murders, the notes or the investigation.  His heart is in protecting Lilah from the past and the present.
Like I said, I have no idea where this story is going, how it is going to end or how it will get to an ending that doesn't destroy everyone.  Mysterious, enticing and intriguing … Murder Notes is the perfect beginning to another wonderful Romantic Suspense by Lisa Renee Jones.
Sadly I didn't really enjoy this from Lisa Renee Jones.  I've read many of her books and enjoyed them all up to this one, sadly I won't be continuing with the Lhila Love series.
I don’t believe I have read Lisa Renee Jones but romantic suspense books are my absolute favorite!! I really enjoy the way Murder Notes just goes full force like a locomotive! The plot is great and develops slowly... all while slowly lining up the pieces and players. I’m fascinated with the way Miss Jones feeds us clues. I’m a serious addict with FBI Files and criminal shows and this series just combined reading (listening) with my favorite shows!

Now there are a ton of characters, and I’ll be completely honest, there were a few that I never really had a grasp on who they were. So if you listen, play close attention because I was a bit overwhelmed by the amount of characters tossed at me.

The narrator, Madeleine Maby is precisely how I envision Lilah Love. She’s a bit monotone and aloft but when she speaks to those she loves, her emotions teeter a bit and bare themselves in her voice. While she’s normally cool and collected Kane can pull the emotions from her. It’s honestly one of the best character developments I’ve heard with a narrator. I wouldn’t have minded more emotions, more voice and tone variations bit I don’t think she would have been true to the character if she did.
Murder Notes by Lisa Renee Jones is the 1st book in a new series called "Lilah Love". When I heard Ms. Jones had a new series and it was a romantic suspense, I was super excited to see what the new series was all about. I definitely was impressed by the writing and the main characters. This is a MUST READ new romantic suspense series that all need to read.
Lilah Love is a successful FBI Profiler and works hard in the job she adores. But there are some scary new murders that have popped up that have clues that lead back to Lilah’s home town and something hidden in her past from several years before . The more Lilah digs for answers, the muddier things become. Within hours of her arrival she starts to receive the first of several notes from an unidentified stalker. On top of the stalker, she is back in town and has to deal with her family which is comprised of her Dad the mayor and her brother the police chief. Then add in the ex-factor-her ex is the son of the town's 'crime lord'. There is still a lot of steam between them. It is felt thru the story and Kane, her ex, knows about what her secret is. Which complicate things--- Lilah knows it’s only a matter of time before this secret can get loose and that means if she doesn’t want to lose her job and her family plus the people she has come to care for then she needs to find out who is doing the killing and stop them and fast or Lilah is going to lose everything. Problem is , her every move being watched by family , the whole island plus her stalker. Will Lilah be able to get one step ahead of everyone to make her move ? Who can she trust? The story ended on a cliffhanger and I am dying to know what happens next. This was an outstanding read, I loved the chemistry between Lilah and everyone she came into contact with. There are a lot of twists and turns in this read. I want to say I think I knew who her stalker was when I was reading but as soon as I would say that, BAM I was wrong. So I am just going to say many things will keep you on the edge of your seat. I look forward to reading book 2 in this new romantic suspense series by Lisa Renee Jones.

My Rating: 4.9 stars *****
“I received an advanced copy of this book from the author at no cost to me."
Great story!
I have read several by this author and I have loved them all. This one included. This is an action packed, mystery, suspense story full of secrets. Con’t get me wrong, there is romance it’s just not the main theme. The characters relationship is full of tension and complex. This story will keep your attention from start to finish. It does end in a cliffhanger but that’s ok, it just makes you want to read the next book even more.
I have read many books by Lisa Renee Jones so this is definitely a departure from her previous novels. It is also a good mystery novel with good characters and a great story line. Lilah Love, a FBI proffiler has a deep and dark past and also with a very mysterious man from Southampton, Kane Mendez. The books starts off in California where Lilah is leaving and being away from home for two years. But then another murder happens in New York which might have something to do with what is going on in California. Her boss tells her to go back to Southampton. There we meet her father, Chief of police, her brother Andrew also in the police department and her ex, Kane Mendez whose father, now dead, was head of the Mendez cartel. Kane is a attorney and a Yale graduate and he and :Lilah have major history together, There is also a tattoo involved in this and there ar dead bodies showing up. Who to trust. This books ends on a cliffhanger so i will have to read book 2 to finally know how it ends. I enjoyed this book. I received this book as an ARC from netgalley.com for an honest review.
I admit that I only got a third of the way through this book. I wanted to like it, but the writing style wasn't clicking with me. It seemed like all of the verbs were a bit more exaggerated than the context required. For instance, in the first few pages, Detective Oliver "glowers" and "scowls," and the main character "whirls" and "yanks" her gloves off. I am just citing two pages I happened to bookmark. I don't think any of these verbs/descriptors are bad. Used periodically, they would be great. It just felt like every descriptor was a bit exaggerated. Similarly, it felt like the main character was unnecessarily reactive towards everyone she met. It is possible these factors got better, and I am sure lots of people wouldn't even notice them.. They just bothered me a bit too much to finish.
I did not like this book. It is a longer Mills and Boon romance book.  I also didn’t like that the book did not conclude the story for that you have to buy book two.  When the book said book one I just presumed it was the first in a series using the same character.  I won’t be reading book two.
Thanks to Montlake romance and NetGalley for an ARC
I have lots of feelings about this book but the strongest right now is the ending. It’s a cliffhanger. No case solved and now I’m trying to decide if my need to know the outcome outweighs my annoyance. Because who’s to say anything gets solved in the next one. The book is well written. I found the female character annoying but less so towards the end. Very good plot line but I am frustrated that there was nothing solved!
i thought this was  a good book. kept my interest and was fast paced i need to know what happens now. Lilah Love is a girl/woman with a past,  not everyone can be a FBI criminal profiler  and she is dang good at what she does.   I like the way Mrs. Jones wrote the store to keep you captivated and to keep you guessing. Just when you think you have everyone figured out, something changes that and you are back to square one again.
I actually don't want to rate Murder Notes because it does not seem fair because unfortunately, I wasn't able to finish it but giving feedback on Netgalley requires me to rate it, hence the 1 Star.
 It has got nothing to do with the book or the author. I just wasn't in the right headspace to enjoy it.
Maybe someday, when I am ready I will come back to read it and hopefully, I will be able to enjoy it to its true potential.
Not my favorite book.  While well written, there is still a lot of filler and a heroine I really couldn't stand.  She's jus mean. It started strong at the scene of a murder (and I love murder books).  but then is quickly diverges to a lot of internal thought that gets repetitive. I had to skim bits of the book just to keep going.