How to Walk Away

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 29 May 2018

Can we just start with what a beautiful cover that is on Katherine Center's How to Walk Away? I'm not saying you should judge the book based on it, but it's a pretty darn good cover. And do you know what else is pretty darn good? The book inside it! This is a darling little book about Margaret, a young woman on the brink of beginning her perfect life- amazing new job, great condo, the perfect boyfriend who may have an important question to ask. Then, in the blink of an eye it is all up in the air. How in the world will Margaret make it work and will she let the people around her help?

I loved this book. It was sweet and heartfelt. Margaret is at turns cheerful or angry. She is in denial or facing the future with utter dismay. This book doesn't sugar coat Margaret's accident, though Center does infuse plenty of humor to the situation, and she gives the reader a very real taste of the complexities of recovery. The cast of characters is wonderful as well. Margaret's sister is fun and the nurses and physical therapists in the hospital are lovely. I really enjoyed this book and I look forward to reading more of Katherine Center's work.
How to Walk Away by Katherine Center is captivating, inspirational, and unputdownable, every page will keep you on your toes. There are 3 scenes in the book that have made an impact on me and left me wanting more of the book. The scene at the rooftop, at the pool, and the saucer smashing. I definitely would love to read this again.
This was my first book by this author, and I can positively say that I really enjoyed reading this one. Its captivating. For sure I will be checking other books written by this author.
Margaret Jacobson can’t believe she’s let herself be talked into taking a plane ride but Chip wants to celebrate and besides he has a very important question to ask her and she said yes. She’s just agreed to marry him and then things go very, tragically wrong.

The plane crashes and at first Maggie thinks if she can just get her leg pulled out from where it seems stuck then all will be fine. They should even be able to make it back to town in no time and head out for dinner but once the ambulance is there and the rescue starts to happen it’s clear that Maggie and Chip won’t be going out to dinner that night.

Chip escaped the accident without barely a scratch but Maggie has suffered burns and can’t walk. She is going to face a long road ahead of her but as the days turn to weeks it looks like she’ll be facing them alone as Chip can’t quite cope with her injuries and the fact that he feels responsible.

About the only good thing in Maggie’s life is that her sister, Kitty, whom she hasn’t seen in years and is back. While Maggie knows there are things her family needs to work through, she’s learning to accept her limitations, realize that the grand plans she had for her life are changed and deal with a handsome but surly physical therapist.

While this a quick read I found it quite predictable. That’s not necessarily a bad thing at times if at least I’m really enjoying the characters and their interactions but not so with this book. I especially did not like the main love interest and found it hard to believe he could get away being that awful to a patient. Well, I believe it but why would anyone fall for him?
I received an ARC of this book through NetGalley in exchange for my unbiased opinion.

Margaret Jacobsen has unofficially landed her dream job and just gotten engaged to her fiance; her life is everything she could dream of.  Then, a plane crash lands her in the hospital.  Her fiance can barely stand to look at her for the guilt, and the job is offered to somebody else.  Faced with a future that looks nothing like what she expected, Margaret will have to acknowledge her new reality with the help of her (until recently) estranged sister and her no-nonsense physical therapist.

The tone of the book was light considering the heaviness of the subject, but for me, it worked and helped me feel closer to the main character.  Many plot points I could see coming, yet the book still kept me hooked as I couldn't wait to watch exactly how it would unfold.  I can't wait to read more books by this author!
Center's story of Margaret's accident, surgery, physical therapy, and partial recovery is told very well. Center goes into excellent detail about the physical aspects after the accident, while still telling a riveting account of the personal lives of Margaret and those close to her.

Recommended for public libraries.
Absolutely wonderful book! Heartbreaking, funny, inspirational and charming. Perfect for those who enjoyed "Me Before You." Very well written and made me an instant fan of Katherine Center.
One star for not finishing... this book was definitely not for me.........................................................................
Loved this book. Margaret is a well-drawn, and empathetic character. Will be looking forward to this author's future work!
I absolutely LOVED this book!!!  It was a great story and totally kept my attention!  It was a total roller coaster - and there are so many times where I wanted to intervene on behalf of Margaret and punch her ex-fiance (and his mother...) I cheered the ending
I always enjoy Katherine Center's books and this was no exception. Very heartwarming story about a woman recovering and learning to move on from a near fatal accident.
This was a really intriguing storyline that really entertained me from start to finish. This had so many amazing characters within the story that I could not get enough of throughout the story, There was a lot of emotion written in this story that I absolutely loved.
Fabulous characters, wonderful writing, and heart felt all the way through. A triumphant story of what happens when the worst happens.
This was a really interesting book that I thought was going to be a lot more depressing than it actually was.  Margaret was in a terrible accident, and she has to deal with her new reality.  She also has to deal with the reactions of the people around her - her fiancee, her family, and friends.  Her very prickly physical therapist changes her life and she changes him too.

This ultimately was an inspirational book and I recommend reading it.

Thanks to St. Martin's Press and NetGalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I recommend this on my blog Modern Mrs Darcy in a post called "20 books everyone will be talking about this summer." I love Katherine and can't wait to read her new release in 2019!
Margaret and Chip appear to be the perfect couple at the start of this women's fiction title.  Both have just completed their MBAs and are on the path to high achievement.  Margaret is hoping that Chip will propose to her.  Not much of a spoiler because what I am writing next happens very early in the book. Chip does propose but does it in a small plane that Margaret had not wanted to fly in.  There is an accident and Margaret suffers a serious injury which upends her life.  The novel then tells the story of what happens to Margaret.  The story is also about Margaret's parents, her sister, Chip and his family and the hospital staff, especially Ian.

Readers will be rooting for Margaret as she figures out what to do in her life.  The reader will undoubtedly enjoy spending time with her family and with Ian as well.

I enjoyed this novel which I read quickly.  The author does not sugarcoat what Margaret experiences in her recovery.  However this is a romance so each reader will have to decide if they want to buy into the semi-fairy-tale.

I would read other books by the author and would look forward to doing so.  Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the e-galley of the novel which I was given in exchange for an honest review.
I loved this book - which charts the recovery of a young woman from a horrifying accident on what should have been the happiest day of her life.  The 'walking away' which Margaret learns is both literal and connected to her complex family relationships, and I really liked the fact that Center steers away from an obvious resolution.

This was an enjoyable read with plenty of humour to balance the emotional drama, as well as a focus on a range of relationships - family, friends and romantic.
I love everything Katherine Center writes. Even books that have topics that don’t normally sound appaealing to me are so wonderful when she writes about them. I especially love her realistic characters and the simplicity and depth she includes in each book.
I’m going to be honest. I started the book but couldn’t get into, so I put it aside. A couple of weeks later I picked it up again and read a huge chunk in one sitting, without even realizing it.
How to Walk Away is a story about struggle, about how life can change in a second and how that moment can not only change everything for you but also make you live for real. It was an interesting, compelling story, not to mention funny and clever, with deep, complex characters but also very likeable and that brought a lot into the story.
It was a bit predictable, though. However, that’s not always a bad thing and in this case it works. I enjoyed reading it, it was nice to read something different that talked about a reality for many people who have been through similar things; and it also made it a way that felt more real, not sugarcoating it. It is not just a story about a happy ending or about someone just deciding to overcome all obstacles, because it is not that simple. Nevertheless, it gives the right amount of hope and happiness.
It was a great read and it definitely makes me want to read more books by the author.
Such a wonderful story! I almost never read Women's Fiction or Contemporary reads but after reading an except on this a while back, I had to know how the story went! Margaret is such an interesting main character and I loved seeing her story!