Cover Image: Baby Teeth

Baby Teeth

While I understand and respect the controversy surrounding this book and I can appreciate the artistry, it was not for me. I really struggled with this one, not because it was not engaging (because it was) or the fact that I was bored (I was not), but due to the content.  It was one of those books that gave me the "willies".  It got into my bones.
Worth the stars?  Absolutely.
Would I read it again? Absolutely not.
So I almost blew this off entirely. Having finished, I'm glad I didn't. The most frustrating character was, for me, Dad, who came pretty close to the stereotypical Daddy to Daddy's girl, seeing no faults, overcompensating, coddling, and spoiling. The little girl's behavior made me seriously wonder how she ever reached the ripe old age of 7. Her whole life is centered around how to murder her mother. She's simultaneously terrifying, dangerous, and ridiculous. Mom has lots of her own problems, physical and emotional, and is just trying to be a good mom, which is impossible under the circumstances. The more we learn about the parents, the more we understand that the fruit didn't fall terribly far.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for an ARC in exchange for an unbiased review.
I recieved an ARC of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. I loved this book and will recommend it often to lovers of mysteries, thrillers, and suspense novels!
This one didn't do it for me. I am generally ok with unlikeable characters, as long as you still kind of care about them, but this one was painfully drab, I didn't feel like it was as edgy as it was trying to be. I realize I am in the minority for this one, but I can't love them all!
Another review! Once again I was given a free e-copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. 🙂 A very long overdue, honest review haha. I’m sorry all my NetGalley reviews are super behind! I’m gonna keep this review spoiler-free as well.

Honestly, I found this book to be really good. I found the writing style to be very good and interesting. It kept me intrigued and engaged in the book. I also thought the characters were built so beautifully. The characters and their stories kept me going because I felt so attached to them. I loved Suzzette and Alex together and how they seemed like such a perfect family except for their daughter. Hanna could seem like such a normal little girl until you saw who she really was.

I found myself longing for them to be the good family they wanted to be an deserved to be. I found myself despising Hanna and also feeling bad for her at times haha. It was so crazy the emotional roller coaster this book took me on.

I really loved how the scene juts unfolded and I was shocked about the ending. I wasn’t really sure how the book was gonna end, but I figured it would be something dark and probably even gruesome. So, I was kinda happy with how the book ended, but also not because it left me wanting more haha. As far as I know, there isn’t a second book and there won’t be one so if you don’t like books that end in cliffhangers then you won’t like this one.

I thought this book was pretty dark and kind of creepy. It wasn’t what I thought it would be necessarily, but it wasn’t bad either. I was kind of hoping it would be creepy in a paranormal sense, but it was creepy in more of a malicious sense. Which, isn’t bad. Hanna was definitely a dark and strange child and I loved that we got to hear her thoughts. I really liked that it’s told from both their perspectives. I think that’s what made the book seem deeper because you got to see how this affected both Hanna and Suzzette.

I don’t know if I like the title of this book though. I’m sure if I think hard enough I can make up some type of symbolism for it, but I just feel like the title is strange? Maybe that’s not the best word for it, but I can’t think of how to describe it. I feel like I kind of understand what the title means and how it relates to the book, but I feel like there could have been a better title. However, that’s not really that important anyway…it was just a thought of something I wasn’t a fan of, because other than that I didn’t have anything else I didn’t like about the book.

Overall I really enjoyed this book and I recommend it to anyone who is a fan of dark or psychological thriller type novels. I enjoyed this book and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it too…some people said it seemed boring but to each their own. Maybe give it a shot. 🙂 See what you think.
What a wild ride!

This is one of those books that will make you a little hesitant to have a child if you are already on the fence on the subject. It's also the type of book where you will hate every main character at some point while you are reading, for different reasons. I was surprised at how quickly the mother was able to change her opinion of her child's behavior and even more frustrated with the father's behavior. I'm pretty sure I gasped and shouted every few dozen pages but I enjoyed it all. So much, in fact, that I had a hard time putting it down to do other things. Great book - I recommend it to friends all the time!
This book was bananas. I’m pretty sure I liked it? I read it pretty quick and it really stressed me out. Would not recommend for parents of young kids I think. If you like evil kids being evil, go for it!
Thank you to NetGalley for an Advanced Reader Copy of this book! It was definitely different from the other books I’ve read. I had to stay up some nights reading to find out more. The book took some turns that I did not see coming! In the end I’m happy I read it. I will be going back to read the other books by this author! Thank you again to NetGalley!!
3 stars for the page-turning factor. While I couldn't put this book down, I also didn't particularly love it. Hanna is a terrifying 7 year old who loves her father and wants to kill her mother to live happily alone with him. Hanna does some particularly amazing things for her age. I disliked her mother, Suzette, so much that I had trouble feeling bad for her at times. Just an OK read for me.
I am so sorry it's taken me so long to write this review. Thank you thank you thank you for sending this to me!

I will say in my defense that I ate it up, and recommended it while it was still new last year. :)

This was a really good, really dark thriller; my problem with it was that I thought I was reading a horror novel! It was that dark. So, I expected the ended to be catastrophic and/or completely destructive, not nice and neat as it ended up. That was disconcerting. Otherwise, it was a fun, excellent, dark read.

Thank you for the opportunity to read and recommend this book! I will read look out for more from this author.
Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for a copy of Baby Teeth by Zoje Stage.  This book was one of the most disturbing books I have ever read, but I could not put it down.  The chapters alternate between seven year old Hanna and her mother Suzette.  Suzette had a difficult childhood with a lot of medical issues and a mother who did not really care.  Hanna does not talk, adores her father, and is trying to figure out how to get rid of her mother.  The chapters told from Hanna’s mind are creepy and those from Suzette’s point of view are not much better.  A tough read, but entrancing.
This was a good, engaging book.  I did not necessarily consider it a thriller, more like a suspense book.  I found the character of the mom to be unbelievable and unrelatedable.  I didn't understand some of the things she did regarding her daughter.  As far as Hannah goes, she was a little monster for sure but I didn't really consider her to be creepy and truly demented like a lot of others have said.  Solid book, yes.  Thriller of the year, no.
Loved the opportunity to get an advanced copy of this book. What a gripping and obsessive story, I couldn’t stop reading!
I received an advanced copy from the publisher via Netgalley for an honest review.

Wow. This was BEYOND eerie from the beginning!! But completely in a good way. Oftentimes with horror movies and novels, especially with creepy kids, you only usually get the other point of view and not the view from the super creepy psychopath kid; this novel you totally do! I love novels that switch points of view like this and going back and forth from the psychopath daughter to the primary victim mother was insane and wonderful! I have to be honest, this was one intelligent little girl who would only act up towards her primary victim when her favorite person, daddy, wasn't around. I have to say, I REALLY disliked the father almost this entire novel, even when he seemed to redeem himself some, I still felt very blah about his character.

Just from the beginning this was wonderfully eerie and got me in the mindset to read more creepy novels like this! This was absolutely impressive for a debut novel and I will definitely be picking up whatever this author has to offer next. Although I do have one question, is there going to be a sequel to this creep-tastic novel?! Because I would be good either way with the ending as is or continuing with this psychopath.....
I felt like I saw this book everywhere for a while so I was super excited to dive into it! Unfortunately I was very disappointed by it. I thought that it was weird and almost trying too hard.
This book was uncomfortable to read, but it definitely kept me turning the pages! Would recommend with reservations only because I think some readers would be uncomfortable with a child being portrayed as so cold and calculating.
I LOVED this book because, even given both point of views, you were left guessing for some time on WHOSE side you should be on. Little innocent baby Hanna? Mama Suzette? And HOW could dear old dad be so clueless either way? If you're like me and love a wonderful, suspenseful, psychological thriller you will fall in love with this story from page one to shocking conclusion
[SPOILER ALERT]

In simple terms, this book is weird. This book is supernaturally creepy, on a whole new plane of existence level weird. I went into Baby Teeth thinking maybe the child was going to be a little disruptive and it was going to be hard for the mother to cope with her. Nope. A whole new level of messed up.

Baby Teeth is creepy from the outset. Off the bat it seemed to be an intense case of Freudian psychology, the Electra complex amped up to about 11 on a scale of 1-10. For those of you who don't know what the Electra complex is, it basically suggests that daughters view their mothers as competition for the father's love, so they want to get rid of the mother. As Hanna herself says:

"...when Daddy returned to his un-spelled self, his eyes bright and full of love, he would understand why she had to do it. Why mommy had to die so he could be saved. In the end, he'd thank her."

The lengths that Hanna goes to in order to get rid of Suzette are deeply unsettling: cutting off her hair while she sleeps, sticking pictures of Suzette in collages of dead women in coffins, laying thumbtacks on the floor, burning her, trying to attack her with a hammer. Hanna was such an intense antagonist, it was super terrifying to read about. I definitely felt sympathetic towards Suzette throughout this. If it were me, I don't think I could have coped with a child that claimed to be possessed by a centuries-old French witch, or the tricks she was constantly playing.

Where Suzette tries so hard to understand and please Hanna, Alex is the complete opposite. It actually pained me to see him being so ignorant to the whole situation. I mean, there's denial and then there's just oblivion. I don't think he had the right to be so disbelieving of everything Suzette told him when he was never home in the first place. His parenting was questionable, too. What parent allows a 7-year-old child unlimited access to the computer and the internet, giving her all his passwords and allowing her to print off photos of her mother time and time again even though he knows she uses them for voodoo collages? Hell no, Alex! He doesn't care about what his daughter sees or accesses, and then has the nerve to suggest that whatever Hanna is doing is all a figment of Suzette's imagination? Once again: hell no, Alex!

I have to admit, the book was a little slow and repetitive at times, hence the 3.75 rating rather than the 4 I was originally willing to give it. I didn't really see the point of the reams of writing that focused on Suzette's fear of her own Crohn's disease. It didn't seem to add anything to the story or the plot, so it felt like a waste of words. However, halfway through Baby Teeth started to make more progress into understanding Hanna's behaviour which is where it got more interesting. There was a plot point about Alex looking like a "Scandinavian Devil" with a beard, which really played well with a highly disturbing scene in which Hanna pretended the 'Devil' was having sex with her. Super creepy Electra complex behaviour right there.

The ending was quite satisfying, actually. Seeing Hanna finally getting help, really seeing the true side of Suzette not wanting to have Hanna around again. The very final chapter which saw Hanna vow to be "the best girl ever" so that she could go home and terrorise her parents again was definitely something out of a horror movie. With Zoje Stage's background in filmmaking and scriptwriting, I can definitely see how Baby Teeth came about. Stage works in the right amount of detail and eeriness to allow the book to exist as a film-style novel, and the ending absolutely works as your perfect Hollywood cliffhanger. With a few tweaks here and there, this could have been the perfect psychological thriller. As it stands, it's close enough.
This book defies characterization.  I read it like a person trying to rubberneck at an accident knowing that the best view will both intrigue and haunt me.  This book will make you think about how diabolical raising kids can be!
Very enjoyable book. Good mystery and was a real page turner! Looking forward to reading more by this author!