School for Psychics

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 03 Apr 2018

At twenty-three years of age, I definitely think I am more than a little out of the target audience age for School for Psychics. And this is glaringly obvious in a way that many other Young Adult and Middle Grade books are not. The characters were just far too juvenile and cliché for me to ever fully get on board with the pull that the plot had initially left within me.
Teddy Cannon is a gambler in Las Vegas, in disguise, having been banned from most casinos.  She isn't really a cheat, but uses her magical ability to 'read' people in order to win.
Teddy's talent leads her to a school for psychics where she meets others like her and embarks on her studies.
This is a YA novel, with all rhe teenage angst you could want.  I am a little old for this book, but I think it would strike a cord with a lot of 13 year olds.
Great book!  I really enjoyed this one! It was a page turner and I felt like I couldn't put the book down until it was finished.

Highly recommend to others who enjoy this genre!
I received a copy of this story from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I don't like starting a series that hasn't been finished. I'm part of the Harry Potter generation; I've done my time waiting for more books to come out. So I usually just add something to my 'to-read' list and keep an eye on it.

That said, I'm so upset with myself for waiting to read this! It was fantastic. There's mystery, action, magic in the form of various psychic powers, and a wonderful cast of characters. I was hooked from the very beginning (I'll always buy into a story that starts at the poker table).

My complains are minor: a few spelling mistakes towards the end and having to wait for the next book. I want to know more now!

I'd absolutely recommend this to anyone and everyone. Seriously, you should read it.
I enjoyed this book even more than I thought I would.  It reminded me of a Quantico for psychics.  This was a great start to a promising new urban fantasy series.  I can't wait to see what happens next.
School for Psychics by K. C. Archer has a very much has a young adult feel but with adult characters and adult relationships. It is about adults with special abilities attending a special school and fighting against an unknown mystery. It is also clearly the start of a series. Will I move on to the next book when it comes? Maybe. This one was entertaining, but I am not on the edge of my seat waiting for the next one.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2018/10/the-school-for-psychics.html

Reviewed for NetGalley
This book has a really, really cool premise: it's a school for psychic people to train for government positions where they use their powers for detective work. And it's not YA, which I thought was really cool - stories like that are hardly ever with adult characters.

And yet.

Teddy and I are close in age, but she acts and thinks like a YA character, in my opinion. So do all other characters in the school. There are alphas and misfits, seriously. Ugh. And then of course Teddy becomes the MOST MISFIT OF THEM ALL, because there were not enough clichés, she is also the most powerful, with an ability rarely seen.

The story has such potential, but it drags on and on and I just couldn't care for the characters at all, which made me lose interest even in the potential for awesome detective story plus powers.
It has an interesting plot combined with a great set of characters. It was easy to get hooked into the story. Only, it feels like the characters are acting more of teenagers than adult. Still, it's an entertaining read.
An excellent book about friendship and coming of age. Our heroine discovers her psychic abilities when she is nabbed while gambling in Vegas. She is sent to a school where she discovers she is not alone. Great characters! Great writing!
When a series of bad decisions leads Teddy to a run-in with the police, a mysterious stranger intervenes. He invites her to apply to the School for Psychics, a facility hidden off the coast of San Francisco where students are trained like Delta Force operatives: it’s competitive, cutthroat, and highly secretive. They’ll learn telepathy, telekinesis, investigative skills, and SWAT tactics. And if students survive their training, they go on to serve at the highest levels of government, using their skills to protect America, and the world.

While the start is a bit slow it does pick up. Once it found its rhythm I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next one. The characters are well done and the storyline is really good!
I really wanted to like this book, because the synopsis sounded great.  It took too long go grab my attention and I kept putting off reading it.

When I finally finished , I saw what too took me so long to read it. Glaring plot holes and not so satisfying ending is not for me.
I like books that have a bit of an undercover/espionage angle. This one had the intrigue, but the psychic school really didn't pass. I've spent time in both SF and spy schools and the novel resembled neither. I liked idea and it did entertain, but it didn't rise above that for me. Also, the character really was a piece of work and I wanted to wail at her.
This was an average read that sounds like it might be made for screen, which might work better. Think young X-men meets the Magicians, but definitely not Harry Potter or Hogwarts.
School for Psychics was a hard one for me to review. Not quite YA, I'd place it as New Adult - but not as sexy as they tend to run (definite plus) - with a heavy dash of fantasy.

Teddy is definitely not in a good place when we meet her, and if anyone needed a magical school to come along and bail her out of that mess, it was her. It's not long before she learns that this new refuge comes with its own traps - and that she just might be out of the frying pan and into the magical fire. (And definitely into the magical Pyro).

On the face of it, this book is right up my alley. But something never quite clicked for me, and though I finished the book I don't think I'll be continuing the series. I think it would work for other readers, as the book itself is well-written, if a bit dramatic at times.  Honestly, it would probably have worked for me if I'd only read it 8 years ago! Maybe next lifetime, book... :)
Though I liked the book, I made the decision at the time I finished not to review it on my site. Maybe in the future I will include it in a book list post or another article.
I really enjoyed the concept of this book - a bunch of young adults together harnessing similar powers they may not have known that they had and wanting to making sure they use them for good. Many aspects felt Harry Potter-Esque, which would definitely float my boat. However, I did not love the way the story actually played out. Everything felt too cliche and overly dramatic, especially for adult characters. Some plot holes were too big to ignore and some characters very under developed. I really wanted to love this book but will likely not continue on with the series. Unfortunately the book leaves off with many questions that i assume will be answered in the future books of the series.
Many thanks to Netgalley for my copy in exchange for a fair and honest review.
I enjoyed this story and will look forward to reading future books in the series.  A quick fun read that has special abilities with real world interactions that is entertaining without stressing you out, this may be the book for you.
I struggled with this one at the beginning, because I was unfamiliar with the setting and the terminology. I've never been to a casino or played whatever game she was playing, so some of the references went over my head. I wish the author had spent a little more time explaining what Teddy was doing, but instead I felt separated from the story.

Despite my initial misgivings, I decided to continue reading this one. I thought things would get better once she arrived at the super secret school, but sadly they did not. I originally thought this was going to be a YA book, and was surprised when it was about twenty-somethings instead. However, despite her age... Teddy's thoughts and actions were childish. She was impulsive and rarely considered what she was doing, she stole money from her adoptive parents (she was in debt), and she had very little concern for herself and others.

Also, some of the logistics surrounding the psychics didn't really work. There were too many holes and not enough explanations. The story also started to feel like it was dragging on... she'd study, make a mistake, be threatened with expulsion, promise to do better, and then repeat ten more times. I didn't want to put any more time into a story I wasn't fully enjoying. The concept was interesting... psychics being trained to work in government positions, but the delivery was less than stellar.

Originally posted at Do You Dog-ear? on July 29, 2018.
I was given this book for review. At the beginning the book was hard for me to relate. However, as I continued reading I began to enjoy the book. My favourite character was probably Clint, the misterious proffessor of Emphaty. I felt this book as a little more mature Harry Potter style novel.
Teddy is a card sharp. Teddy has been caught in all the casinos in Vegas.

Teddy is in debt.

So she tries one more time for a big win. This time she's in disguise. Then her life changes.

School for Psychics is a gripping story. In Teddy we have the reluctant hero, forced to learn her skills. She comes around to them as the story continues, even learning a few lessons about pride along the way. We also have a cast of misfits surrounding her.

In the end, it wasn't what I typically go for, but I suspect it's just the sort of comfort food fiction that lots of people will eat right up.