Bringer of Chaos: Forged in Fire (Marooned on a Barren World)

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 06 Mar 2018

A powerful read that at times moves a little slowly, and has it's light moments. I really love the main cast, although I think Six and not Pietas is probably my favorite. The introduction definitely hooked me more than the synopsis.
To be betrayed by your mother whom you love so much, is not an easy thing to deal with, it almost broke Pietas, she betrayed that special love, he had for her, which almost destroyed him and cost his friendship with Six, but his resolve is strong, he had to be to withstand the constant abuse he and his sister received at the hands of their father, he couldn't understand why his mother would side with him to do him wrong. His cruelty knew no boundaries, he was manipulative and a monster, casting his net wide and entrapping her in it, but such a hold was not an option for Pietas, he was so sorry his mother fell victim to his father’s machinations and was doped by his words. Unknowing to them his mother was subjected to the same abuse but on a deeper and more personal level. Pietas thought he was strong and could withstand anything but her deceit almost broke him. The immortals (Ultras) hated humans and the reverse can be said for the humans, they used enslavement and experimented on their own kind in order of recreating their own version of immortals. Enslaving the Ultra’s king Pietas drove that wedge even deeper between the two. Their hatred of each other resonated with the racial hatred that is in the world today, Pietas story shows how coexisting without killing each other is possible. This book slowly entraps you, drawing you deeper into its storyline, the characters are great and the storyline is awesome, a well written and diverse story, which entices you deep into its pages.
A great sci/fi read.  Exciting with interesting characters and plot.  It does seem a little disheartening that family dysfunction could fester for so long. Still, maybe I'm missing background as this is the first book in the series that I've read. Recommended.
Thank you to Net Galley for providing me with a digital arc in exchange for my honest review.
I've read a couple in Kayelle's "Chosen" series of books and has more emotional depth. There were things to like about this book, including a tribe of sentient panthers, and lord knows, we all love a good story with kitties. Why I couldn't rate this book a five, however, was that it wasn't a proper story on its own. You got a little lost if you didn't read the previous book "Bringer of Chaos: The Origins of Pietas."

This story is about a family so dysfunctional, they make the Kardashians look like the Cleavers from "Leave It To Beaver." There are couple lines that rip your heart out for sure, but you would think, at least I do, that a multi-century-year-old man would have resolved some of this stuff by now. This story puts the opera into space opera, so if you enjoy that, you won't be disappointed.
Truly immersive sci-fi read. My sci-fi fangirl brain did a happy dance while reading this. This book needs an audio version because you'll want to close your eyes to visualize and truly experience this story.