The Hawkman

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 04 Jun 2018

I’m not going to lie I initially wanted to read this because the cover is just stunning. I’m a sucker for a great cover. I wasn’t totally disappointed in that decision. It was fun reading a mix of magical realism and historical fiction.. I feel like that in itself made the book unique and fun but it also bounced around a lot. Like one minute it’s going through the lives of the characters and then next it’s one of the characters telling fairy tales. Just made it very hard to follow sometimes. All in all not a terrible reading experience though!
Generally, I enjoy fairy tales and retellings but this one didn’t work for me.  I didn’t find the story to be engaging and it couldn’t keep my interest.
I did not finish this book. It was beautifully written but I just couldn't stick with it. Still it should be in a literature textbook as it is a great example of literature. Maybe I will return to it someday.
I received an electronic arc of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I was first pulled in by the gorgeous cover of this book and the fact it was presented as a fairy tale of the great war. I'd still hail the book for having the ability to pull me in again every time I look at that cover - honestly, it's the best thing it had going for it. I found myself constantly bored with the story and having to re-read sections to get back into the story. I really wanted to like the characters better and in essence, like the book better, but I spent so much time getting pulled towards other books and other activities that it was a struggle to even finish this one.
A magical realist tale set during the Great War and sporting a cover this beautiful could not fail to appeal to me! What I initially loved about this, however, failed to continue to enthral me. This story was, perhaps, too quiet in its telling, for me. As evocative as the writing was and as sublime as the story-line continued to be, there was an almost treacle-like quality to the pacing that often had me wishing to pull myself free and hurry ahead rather than sit still and appreciate the current sweetness that surrounded me.
This book was excellent! Great plot, pacing, and characterizations. I was intrigued the whole time, and didn't want to put it down. I am excited to see what is next from this author in the future!
Unfortunately, I was unable to get into this title. It just wasn't a good fit for me. Thanks so much for the opportunity to read this title. I will not be posting a review online, in order not to skew the ratings.
Magical realism meets historical fiction in this tale of love and war ; inspired by the Grimms fairytale “The Bearskin”.
Michael is suffering from shell shock and probably PTSD after spending years as a prisoner of war. He is either ignored or taunted by the community who consider him to be stupid and homeless. Until Eva, an American teacher, decides he is a person and treats him as such.

We flip back and forth between his life after meeting Eva, and his days in the war in a lyrical writing style. It was at times quite beautiful, and at others a little to wordy, but always a unique way to write about WWI.

Recommended to those who don’t mind a bit of magical realism in their historical fiction .

Thanks to the publisher and netgalley for providing me with an advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review.
The Hawkman is a moving tale of love, recovery, and resilience. LaForge has an incredible gift, not only with storytelling but with making words come alive through her powers of description. I love the era she chose to set her story in as well; that time was rife with difficulty, fear, and prejudice. The perfect setting for a tale of love blossoming within hardship.
Set after WWI, The Hawkman is probably best described as magical realism, telling the very real, very painful stories of Miss Williams and Mr. Sheehan. Miss Williams lives in Britain but grew up in the U.S. under difficult circumstances. Mr. Sheehan is a veteran of the Great War - Irish born and considered a turncoat in his homeland for fighting for Britain, where he was attending university when the war began.

Everyone needs a fairy tale to survive the hardships of reality. Miss Williams knows this better than anyone - she was fed stories as a child to explain her father's disappearance. She goes on to study fairy tales and write some of her own, bringing her to the town where a very strange man lives. When she sees the young veteran who is almost bird-like in appearance and who is dismissed by the locals as troublesome and unworthy of kindness, Miss Williams shows kindness and love. Mr. Sheehan - the Hawkman - finally finds a place of peace and acceptance while his mind continues to torture him with memories of the war.

The Hawkman isn't perfect but it's beautifully written and that carried me through the points of the book that seemed a little less directed. Inventive and yet very real, LaForge takes us through difficult realities with a touch of magic to make it all momentarily more beautiful.

Thanks to NetGalley for the free e-ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Many thanks go to Jane Rosenberg LaForge, Amberjack, and Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for my unbiased review. The book starts with a death and a bridegroom, so one knows that's happening at some point. Then we are introduced to Miss Williams and a homeless, shell shocked soldier looking for his next meal and a roof over his head. Williams seems to be a bleeding heart. Well I think two and two can be put together. It's the fantasy portion of the story that has me still a bit thrown. I can't quite put my finger on why it happened. Like what's the meaning behind it? I think I missed something monumental? I know what I read, but it's just not clicking. Regardless the selflessness was beautiful. LaForge teases me enough with this book that I'm interested to see what she produces next.
This book is a unique fairytale set after the Great War. The story follows Mr. Sheehan, aka "The Hawkman" and Miss Williams, a college teacher. Mr. Sheehan has an appearance that suggests a bird like resemblance, hence the nickname. Miss Williams allows Mr. Sheehan to stay at her cottage because most people think he is strange and dangerous. The more Miss Williams opens her heart and life to Mr. Sheehan, she begins to get sick and eventually needs to get treatment from doctors. The doctors don't know why she is sick, and the only one who seems to help her is Mr. Sheehan. Over the course of the story, some people learn from the pair, and some remain prejudiced.
I thought this was a weird tale, and I found myself skimming through it because it was so strange, and some of the realistic war details were a little too much for me. I usually am able to finish a book and I haven't met many books I didn't like, but this one was just not my cup of tea. I'm sure some people will enjoy it, so give it a try if you think you might like it. I will say that I was sympathetic to the two main characters' plight and some parts of the book were well written, and the author seemed to do her research.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. A positive review was not required, and all opinions expressed are entirely my own.
This book was good for people who like odd tales. I could follow the plot despite some twists and turns. An odd romance
I have enjoyed this book and the author has written it so beautifully with such detail. It took longer than I would normally take to finish a book because I was slowly absorbing every detail to create this picture in my head and it was really great!
Drawn in by the cover, the intriguing description, and the promise of magical realism, I was, unfortunately, a bit disappointed by the story. Maybe my expectations were to high.

The story of two main characters takes place after World War I in England, it's a Grimm Fairy Tale retelling. This main plot is interspersed with fairy stories and flashbacks.

The writing is very good. I just had the feeling that this story wanted to be more than it actually was, it was trying a bit too hard.
Well that was.... interesting? I know this is meant as a sort of fairy tale and there are many fairy tales within it, but they all seem quite opaque. I think I would have preferred this as just a straight story, as both main characters have very interesting backgrounds. Having it pegged as a fairy tale made me expect more supernatural elements, when really, this was more about trauma and mental illness.
I received and ARC copy of The Hawkman: A Fairy Tale of the Great War by Jane Rosenberg LaForge in exchange for an honest review. Thanks goes to NetGalley and Amberjack Publishing for this advanced reader copy which was released on June 5, 2018.

This book, just shy of 300 pages was gruesomely painful for me to get through, and I’m using the kindest words possible to explain how treacherous a trek this read was for me. It took me a whole four months, probably the longest I’ve ever spent reading a single novel. If it takes you this long to read a rather short book there is either a serious problem with your comprehension or you simply prefer to be happy than to put yourself through the pain of 280 pages filled with a story you simply, no matter how hard you try, cannot get absorbed into.

I was intrigued by The Hawkman by the cover art to be quite honest, with mystical creatures and alluring fonts. Even the synopsis, promising a tale of the world during the Great War, infused with a fairy tale imagination seemed promising of an instant classic. However, despite some interesting parts hear and there, The Hawkman proved to be a disappointing and tedious read for me.
Jane Rosenberg LaForge’s The Hawkman is written within the context of the disastrous events that turned the world upside down in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The story unfolds around two individuals from opposite realities but whose paths unexpectedly meet and are doomed to a helpless intimacy. Eva Williams is an American school teacher living in a small cottage in the English village where she works. Michael, or rather, the Hawkman is an Irish musician suffering post traumatic stress following his experiences during World War I. Eva tellling stories, and the Hawkman humbly begging charity in the streets, are living rather peaceful and uneventful lives at the time that the story begins. Eva meets this estranged man whose experiences in war have left him thinking he’s a bird, and tries to restore him. Their lives change and are turned over when Eva comes across the Hawkman on her way home one day, after having heard disturbing, yet misleading tales about the depressed figure. Eva takes the Hawkman into her home and the two live quietly in sync with each other’s lifestyles up until the skeptical community breaks apart the serenity the two have built together.

If the complexity of the story had been left at that I would have thoroughly enjoyed and finished it months ago. But no. There’s more, so much more going on than a fairy tale during the Great War. So many more stories unfold and blur together, making it at times extremely difficult to follow and almost entirely impossible to concentrate on. At unpredictable points the story would wander off into fairy tales that were pages long, leaving me confused at times, being left to meet new characters and make connections between the multiple stories I was reading at once. There are also snippets of Eva and Michel’s past lives. There were even points that yet another story would unfold within another like during the stories of Eva’s mother who would tell Eva stories as a child. From here, time, context, narration would change and the story would become a dramatic and in depth portrait of the lives of soldiers during the war.

The way the book was mapped leads me to believe that perhaps even the writer wasn’t sure what story she was telling. I adore the concept of a schoolteacher escaping war to a new world getting by fairytales and whose life changes when a man who thinks he’s a bird becomes a part of it. It’s charming, intriguing and makes for a legendary tale. However a book not even 300 pages should not attempt a writing technique that is more fit for a more Proust-length sort of novel. The short page count compared with the complexity of the novel left much of it seeming undeveloped. We are introduced to characters who seem important to the protagonists of the main story, Eva and Michel, but then some distraction happens and we are never brought back to know how their story ends. This is really the main reason I didn’t like this book. I found it difficult to relate to the characters because the narration, context and ideas are constantly changing, leaving old ones forgotten and rather misunderstood.

Despite the story alternations the writing style remained lyrical and beautiful throughout. LaForge’s descriptons are beautiful and telling. A clear portrait is designed of each of the characters in a poetic and masterful way. The writing is so romantic, if I was only reviewing the writing my rating would be an easy and bright five stars. The visionary style of the novel reflected the magic and imagination of the story, resulting in an overall beautiful effect on the reader.

The Hawkman is a poetic read with interesting features. However, it requires an extrmely dedicated and concentrated reader. The magical realism and historical context infusion is aluring and sure to attract readers of both genres. Unfortunately the inconsistently and undeveloped plot, or plots left me disappointed in the end.
Thank you Netgalley for this ARC.

I don’t usually read this genre, however I loved this beautidully written book amd will look out for similar themes in the future.
Rating: 3.0/5.0

I have picked this book from the Read Now section of NetGalley and this is my honest unbiased review. I chose this book because the gorgeous cover attracted me and the synopsis sounded very appealing.  What I loved about this book mainly was the setting and the time period it took place. I have to note here that the story alternates between the past and the present for the two main characters of The Hawkman and Eva Williams. Both the time frames were interesting but I found myself more engaged with their present than their past backstories.

The story as the author mentioned in the acknowledgment is inspired by The Grimm Brothers’ fairy tale The Bearskin. The story focuses more on the characters of the protagonists and what made them be who they are today. This is more of a magic realist tale. It is well written but I felt the pace was a little slow for my taste. I preferred the backstory of Eva than of Sheehan. If you are a fan of magic realism give this a try you might like it.
I'm a bit iffy on what I would want to rate this book. The writing comes off as a bit stiff but the plot was interesting. It had a few things I liked but quite a few things I didn't care for. It's somewhere between 2.5 - 3 stars for me.