The Hawkman

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 04 Jun 2018

I struggled with this book. I wanted to like it and there were components that I really enjoyed but it felt jumbled and confusing at times. The attempts to turn it into a fairy tale is probably what is causing this problem...it felt contrived at times. I wished this could have been edited and re-aligned just a bit to make it more cohesive and flowing.

That book cover, though...it's what got me.
Beautifully written story of a great love,  post WWII.  The mix of reality and fantasy was very engaging. In some places I became a little bored with so many details but overall this was a four star for me. Thanks to NetGalley and Amberjack Publishing for proving me a galley of this book in exchange for my honest opinion.
From the moment I read This is a story about a man who thought he was a bird and the woman who helped him find his humanity again I knew that this book would be the kind of trip I needed. I knew with those few words that something in me was going to be challenged.
If you've ever wondered why it's easier to say we salute our war heroes but even more difficult to accept that they may suffer from PTSD, hallucinations, that some may never walk, see, touch or hear again...then read this book!
If you seek another reason to be compelled to read it, I fear I have no higher humane reason than that. Thank you Netgalley for the eARC.
This is an imaginative retelling of a Brothers Grimm tale (The Bearskin), in which a WWI veteran suffering from severe PTSD struggles with reentering civilian society, homelessness, and ostracism. The spinster that tries to help him ends up suffering a terrible illness as a result. I enjoyed the way the veteran and the spinster were described as having animal qualities at times and human qualities at others, as if you can’t always tell just exactly how they should be categorized. I could have done with a little less background on the spinster, which included many short folktales that I found largely unnecessary to grasping the overall story. The ending was a bit fantastical, and not quite what I would have wished, but was in line with the trajectory of the story. Interesting, thought-provoking read!
I rarely read fiction these days but I glad I read The Hawkman.  It is a fairytale novel that echos Beauty & the Beast. I also love that it deals with post-war PTSD. It is also well written with great descriptive language.

I definitely recommend this book!
Beautiful story- this one took me by surprise. Lyrical and magical writing. Will definitely be mentioning this one to customers
I wanted so much to like this book.

Jane Rosenberg LaForge's "The Hawkman: A Fairy Tale of the Great War" is the story of two strangers who come together after the Great War.

This is the story of Eva Williams, an imaginative and charming American schoolteacher and Michael Sheehan, an Irish pianist, now homeless and bedraggled after World War I is over.

He survived the trenches and being a prisoner of war under the Germans only to return home mute, with damaged ears and hands, feeling completely lost. He wanders from place to place begging for food, appearing to be more animal than human.

Eva's natural inclinations are to reach out and care for him. She ends up bringing him back to her cottage for a warm meal and he never leaves, much to the dismay of the local lord who wants Sheehan gone from their town.

When she becomes ill, their strange relationship is thrust into the public eye, earning them both sympathy and disgust.

The parts of the story that take place between Eva and Michael and the little town they live in worked for me. However, I quickly grew bored with the sections in the past, as well as the fantastical stories that Eva spins. Maybe WWI stories just don't do it for all: all that mud in the trenches or something. WWII seems full of stories of heroism (as awful as the war was) and patriotism, but WWI just seems depressing.

I also am not into magical realism. I tried so hard to read "A Thousand Years of Solitude" and felt like I just kept missing something. It is one of my least favorite genres in fiction, so frankly those elements of the book were lost on me.

I do love stories based on fairy tales, like "The Bear and the Nightingale", but I just wasn't a fan of this one.
Like the subtitle to the story says it's a fairy tale of the Great War. Michael Evans Sheehan is an Irish soldier captured as a prisoner during the First World War and after the end of the war he has a hard time returning to his normal life. The encounter with Eva Williams, an American teacher, changes everything and thanks to her he will be able to find his place again in the society and to be accepted again. What it's told between the lines is a beautiful and delicate love story with a touch of magic, inspired by a brothers Grimm's tale "Der Bärenhäuter" and by the well known story "The Beauty and the Beast". Moreover there's the tragedy of the war and the deep changes inflicted to a man who recalls vividly what happened to him during the war. People who love fantasy stories connected to real events will find themselves perfectly at ease in the world told by the author and they will enjoy her magical writing.

I thank NetGalley and Amberjack Publishing for the opportunity to read an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Come dice il sottotitolo della storia si tratta di una fiaba ai tempi della Grande Guerra. Michael Evans Sheehan è un soldato irlandese catturato come prigioniero durante la Prima Guerra Mondiale che ha difficoltà a ritornare alla sua vita normale. L'incontro con Eva Williams, un'insegnante americana, cambia tutto e grazie a lei riuscirà a trovare di nuovo il suo posto nella società e sarà di nuovo accettato. Ciò che viene raccontato tra le righe è una bellissima e delicata storia d'amore con un tocco di magia, ispirata da una fiaba dei fratelli Grimm "Der Bärenhäuter" e dalla conosciuta storia della Bella e la Bestia. Inoltre c'è la tragedia della guerra e i profondi cambiamenti inflitti a un uomo che ricorda vividamente che cosa gli è successo durante la guerra. Chi ama le storie fantasy collegate a eventi reali si ritroverà perfettamente a proprio agio nel mondo raccontato dall'autrice e apprezzerà la sua scrittura magica.

Ringrazio NetGalley e Amberjack Publishing per avermi dato l'opportunità di poter leggere un ARC di questo libro in cambio di una recensione onesta.
The Hawkman is a twist on Beauty and the Beast. An American teacher and an Irish musician are drawn together with the common thread of the Great War. Hidden away together - trying to hide form the world that hurt them, the community that surrounds them...threatens to break them apart.

This is a beautiful story and is told in beautiful language. It does tend to drag a little, but as a whole, it's a book of wonder and light.
I’m giving The Hawkman a 2.25/5 stars. The premise of people and their relationships after the Great War seemed rather interesting. I loved reading about Michael and his experiences in the war. That kind of stuff is just very intriguing to me. Not to mention that the cover for this book is absolutely stunning. I also really liked Eva’s character. I liked that she was more headstrong and didn’t care what the other townspeople thought of her. She just wanted to help and wouldn’t let anything get in the way of that. She was also a writer, which was an interesting aspect to the novel. It showed us her ideas for her books. But while I liked the main characters and the book’s premise, I did not like the plot. It was slow and boring. The way the story is written can be a bit hard to follow, even though the writing itself is pretty good. Really not much happened in this book, and the ending was really confusing. I have so many mixed feelings about this book.
"He had for himself no expectations other than to survive, to start over, to live as he had not during the war, as a human."
-The Hawkman, @janerosenberglaforgeauthor 🌻.
I finished The Hawkman this morning. Received this beautiful ebook from NetGalley. And first of all let's appreciate the gorgeous cover it has! 😍😍 😍.
Writing 🌟🌟🌟.7/5
I found @janerosenberglaforgeauthor writing to be compelling. Her words were substantial and I was drawn to the meanings behind each chapters. But I couldn't help to feel that some parts were elaborated too detail that I came to boredom.
Story 🌟🌟🌟🌟/5
The Hawkman is about a man, wounded and traumatic from the World War to the point he had forgoten his humanity. He became a mute, neglected by society and his ownself. Until he met Miss Williams, an american storyteller who helped him to find humanity again.
Of course, i adore the story! It is heartwarming, and makes me reflect my own humanity. I finished this book with a new mindset. Also, it is not an expected story. "It is a fable," as Miss Williams had said.
🌻.
Overall I give this book a 🌟🌟🌟🌟, the humanity lesson in this book speaks the loudest to me. .
"This is the story about a man who thought he was a bird, and the woman who helped him find his humanity again"

The first thing that got my attention was the beautiful cover, the second thing was the synopsis. Sadly I had to DNF it at 30%, because this wasn't for me. The writing is unbelievably beautiful, but after a while I felt like the writing was more important than the story, and that started to be a problem as I am someone who enjoys plot-driven books the most.

I did enjoy the connection with Grimm's fairy-tales, and the relationship that was building between Miss Williams and Mr. Sheehan.

I am sad that I didn't enjoy this one, but would definitely recommend this book to fans of beautiful writing and fairy tales retelling
Thank you to Netgalley for giving me the chance to read and review, "The Hawkman"
by Jane Rosenberg LaForge. I really enjoyed the way things were described and the writing in this novel. I highly recommend it.
LaForge's prose is well-crafted and the imagery is beautiful. I had difficulty getting into and staying with the book. It's deep and has multiple layers. I have difficulty connecting at times. The descriptions in the passages about Ms. Williams childhood and the Sheehan's experience during the war were good, but I struggled with the transition into and out of the sections and it didn't seem quite fluid with the present-day narrative. I know many will enjoy the connection to Grimm's fairy tales. This book will resound deeply with some, and with others, like me, it will be difficult to feel fully invested.

Thank you NetGalley for this advanced review copy. My thoughts and opinions are my own.
I received this from #netgalley in exchange for my review. Interesting story of a WWI veteran and a young woman who both have traumatic pasts and their developing relationship. Inspired by the Grimm’s story, The Bearskin, there are elements of magical realism in the story. The writing was good, but the fairy tales and long flashbacks often detracted from the more compelling main story.
A mysterious man, a legend, and a perhaps overly descriptive narrative. For fans of fantasy and folklore.
This book wasn’t for me and I did DNF it. I can see why it will be popular though! I couldn’t get into the long descriptions. I also felt that the beginning prologue wasn’t a great fit and ruined the novel for me before I even started it.
This book had so much potential! It is clear that the author can master language and charm it into beautiful bouquets of sentences, so it hurt all the more when the quality of some passages seemed to detoriorate. It felt as if the author got tired and just put less effort into the writing or as if the inspiration abandoned her. The language at the high quality parts was poetic and lyrical, and the use of metaphors and allegories was really cleverly done. A great pity that such a mastery of language was not present in every sentence.

I had the same feeling about the structure, too. It was a good idea to show the background story of Miss Williams and Sheehan through flashbacks but the use thereof didn't always seem so logical, or the flashback scenes seemed to last just the tiniest bit longer than they were supposed to. But what really bothered me, was the ending. It was for me too absurd and too suddenly intimate.

Despite my criticism, I liked the story.. The horrors of the Great War and the suffering of the survivors, especially those with a shell-shock, is a story that needs to be told and retold to remind humankind of its own terrible power to wreck lives and fight wars without a reason. The description of Sheehan's struggles is heart-wrenching. The characters, again, had much potential. My favourite is perhaps Christopher who indeed goes through much change and grows into a fine human being.

I'd recommend this book, but not necessarily if the potential reader is feeling sad or depressed. The theme and the gloomy atmosphere might deepen the reader's negative mood.
The Hawkman is part historical fiction, part fairy tale. It takes place in England after World War 1, revolving around 2 characters. A damaged soldier from that war, and the woman who is his angel. I found it to be both disturbing and beautiful. Gorgeous language and imagery. Interior monologues in which I found myself lost and wondering. A plot that fascinated me and lost me at the same time. This is a complicated, beautiful book. If you read it, take your time, as it is not a fast, easy read. I highly, highly recommend for those that like reading about the after-effects of war on soldiers, and the time and place in England shortly after World War 1. There was much mythology to delve into. 5 Stars.

Reviews will be left on Goodreads, Amazon, Instagram and Facebook
I was really interested to see how fantasy and historical fiction would go together . It was a little jarring at first, but I really liked this story. Eva and Michael meet in an English village, and watching their relationship unfold with such beautiful prose was lovely. I found this to be a slow read but was entertained and interested from beginning to end.