Cover Image: Lying in Wait

Lying in Wait

Annie Doyle is dead. What comes next is a complicated web of lies between Lydia and Andrew Fitzsimons, their son Laurence, and Annie’s sister Karen. Each tells their story throughout time, and will hold your attention until the very end. Buckle up, it’ll be a good ride!

Thanks to @netgalley for providing a copy in exchange for a review!

#netgalley #lyinginwaitbook #bookreviews #thriller
A girl is killed in the 1980’s in Ireland and her family never stops looking for her. A very wealthy family might be involved. This book had a Gray Gardens kinda vibe and is really good once you dive into it.
This book was a page turner for sure! The characters were wonderfully strange and all a bit crazy but I couldn’t put it down, I wanted to see how everything played out. And there was actually a twist I didn’t see coming which is rare these days. I recommend for anyone who is into psychological thrillers, and I appreciated that it wasn’t too graphic as many thrillers can be.
A tense and slightly disturbing look into what happens when secrets are revealed. I wanted to turn away, but couldn't possibly. This book is a psychological thriller that isn't afraid to expose everything.
Lying in Wait is a psychological thriller set in Dublin, Ireland and the character we meet are Lydia, Laurence and Karen. The first 2 parts take place in the 80's, which may be a struggle for some readers. This was not my favorite read. I did not particularly enjoy how the story was told or the characters involved. I felt the storytelling plot device just did not work for the storyline. I wanted to enjoy it more but it just fell flat for me. 2 star read.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read and review this book.
I found Lying in Wait to have not one likeable character, yet it is one of my favorite books of the year. It is a well written psychological thriller that is nearly impossible to put down. Just when you think you have a clear picture of what’s going on, the author drops in a tidbit that spins you round. I highly recommend this book, and can not wait for Liz Nugent’s next novel!
"My husband did not mean to kill Annie Doyle, but the lying tramp deserved it."   Who doesn't love a beginning line like that one?  LYING IN WAIT by Liz Nugent kept my attention throughout the book.  I wouldn't consider it a mystery because you find out what happened in the beginning chapter, but I did enjoy finding out WHY everything happened throughout the book.

Some of you may relate to this, but it reminded me of V.C. Andrews book with a weird mother/son relationship.  It is one of the those books that gives you a weird feeling because you aren't sure who to cheer on throughout book; seriously, the entire family was dysfunctional.  I did like the twists that the author included throughout the storyline.

I was given this book for my honest review and gave it four out of five stars.
Tightly woven plot, extremely well developed characters, and suspense to keep the reader hanging on to each page.
Thank you Netgalley for this ARC of Lying in Wait, by Liz Nugent. Wow! This book grabbed me from the first page and never let go. Lydia and her husband Andrew kill a young prostitute then cover it up. Lydia is obsessed with her son Laurence and haunted by her own dark past. The resulting story unfolds told in the alternating voices of Lydia, her son Laurence and the dead girl’s sister Karen. Great read!
I loved the 1980 to present timeline to get a good backstory of everything happening. Aside from that everything was really just average for me. I felt it was predictable, not boring just that you could foresee the twists. It wasn't bad just not a favorite.
When a book starts with the line, "My husband did not mean to kill Annie Doyle, but the lying tramp deserved it,"  you know you have found a book that you just have to keep reading, if for no other reason than to find out why she deserved it!  It quickly becomes apparent that things can only spiral downward for everyone involved.  The Fitzsimons family may seem like your average, respectable family on the surface, but each chapter peels back the layers exposing deeper, darker secrets that lead to an ending as inevitable as it is terrible.
This book was very creepy, but an over all great suspense read. I am really glad that I don't know anyone like this.. Hmmm... Or do I, actually know someone like this????
Once again Nugent has delivered yet an amazing psychological thriller, I have to say this book had me turning the pages like non stop. This story was super tense, over the top, exciting... This book flow so natural for me, Nugent has that master writing that just sucks you in, with the twists and unexpected turns..
Thank you for giving me the chance to read this book.. Sorry my feedback is so late..
Okay. Suffered through the story. Lots of evil. Lots of messed up mental issues, but the ending. No. Absolutely not! Evil does win sometimes, but this ending is horrible. I rather wish I'd skipped this one. It's so not what I'd hoped for.

My copy came from Net Galley. My thoughts and opinions are my own. This review is left of my own free volition.
Hmmm… hmmm….

I was hesitant picking this one up, but I had been looking at it on my TBR pile forEVER that I needed to cross it off. I was desperate to get this off my list for 2018 because I could not go into 2019

I had read Unraveling Oliver previously and I’ll be honest, I highly despised it. But I saw some reviews that said if you thought it was slow (I did), this book is a lot faster pace and nothing like that one in terms of development.

Whoever said that was right. However, this book was a roller coaster of interest.

Part One: Engaging
Part Two: Curious
Part Three: Semi Interesting
Part Four: Eh.

I don’t know what it was but the first half was way better than the second half. But then somewhere in the middle and last half I was like oh wow there’s still a lot left to tell in this book. Which isn’t a bad thing, but when I’m kind of on the edge of losing interest, it’s not a good thing for me.

The pacing was much better than Liz’s previous book. The characters were interesting and I was enjoying the 3 narrators on audiobook. You got to follow Lydia, the mom, Lawrence, the son, and Karen, the sister of the murdered woman. But something about this one was just not enough for me. Maybe it was that the story felt longer than it needed to be. Maybe it was that I was in a bad mood reading this.

My personal mood can really influence a book, sadly.

If you’re on the fence with this one and you didn’t like Unraveling Oliver, I would probably skip this. If you enjoyed it, I think you’d like this one even more.

I AM HAPPY TO ADD THIS TO MY READ PILE. THANK YOUUUUU!
[I can't be the only one that claps when a book that has been on TBR forever finally gets added to the read shelf.]
was a gripping thriller that took you to every aspect of trying to figure out what was really going on  and what was going to happen next! This was such an amazing book and I can’t wait to see what else is released from this author!
4 *s. This book is compulsively readable. I enjoyed it more than I do a lot of psychological thrillers. It is extremely dark with a really crazy character. Trigger warning: this one deals with some bullying and controlling of food which may disturb someone with an eating disorder.
Thank you #NetGalley for a copy of #LyingInWait.

I’m really not sure what I think about this book... it definitely wasn’t one of my favorites. It kind of dragged for me and wasn’t very fast-paced. A lot of the chapters, while coming from different people’s points of view, seemed awfully repetitive. And that ending... I have no words.  I wanted to throw this book out the window after reading how AWFUL Lydia was to her son and the stuff she got away with doing. She was the main cause for everyone’s problems and in the end, and she was  the last one standing completely unharmed. What a horrible character she was!
Deliciously demented. Cleverly cruel. Satisfying and sadistic.

These things may not make up the most ideal everyday scenario – but for me, they make the best types of thrillers. You know, those books that you simply have to devour in as little time as possible, because they are so difficult to put down.

I love to walk right on the edge of a dirty and taboo line when it comes to thriller or mystery novel. I revel in the things to be seen when you peek through a grimy window or just around the corner of a derelict house in the middle of the woods. I love the grit and the deceitfulness. A while many have the talent of weaving a mystery plot into a tapestry of mischief with original design, a true psychological thriller is not something that is created easily.

In all the books I’ve read, I’ve noticed one thing – not many authors are successful at diving deep into the depraved minds of sociopaths or serial killers, of delving into their twisted psyche and setting up shop there … at least not successfully. Maybe they find it a little too dangerous. Perhaps it leaves them a little too afraid of the shadows that threaten to linger around them as they travel through reality into the fiction of their written works. True psychological thrillers aren’t afraid to make twists and turns that are not only unexpected, but wrought from the chaos of intricate and unsavory plots … all while featuring characters that require an immense amount of critical thinking on the reader’s part to figure out. And even then – for a really well planned out novel – you still can’t predict exactly what they will do.

In Lying in Wait, Irish author Liz Nugent really knows how to do it … and do it up to perfection. What I mean is, the last few chapters left me shaking my head at her damn-near genius of an ending. The plot of this book kept me thinking about it for days after I read the final page. She made me marvel at how invested I was in the characters … and how even though they were a motley cast of cruel, devious, manipulative and pathetic, I actually cared where they ended up. The full body of work was crafted with a wily nature, little tidbits of information left behind for the reader much like bread crumbs leading to a sinister gingerbread house in the woods. The tone of Nugent’s storytelling is fluid and seductive, the alternating POV doing a perfect job of building up an impeccable tension that bursts like a foul boil in the end … one you are disgusted by, but also can’t turn away from. It’s a story of a murder, of a set of survivors, of the upper-class and their snobbery, and of the poor folk down the hill.

Lydia has always felt settled in her role as one-half of the golden couple known as The Fitzsimons. She’s the gorgeous wife of a beloved local judge, a doting mother to her only child and son Laurence, and keeps house in one of the most coveted properties in all of Dublin. The House at Avalon is historic really, set on an expanse of land so green and fruitful that it’s obvious wealth is almost obscene when compared to the rest of the town. It’s a place where Lydia is absolutely certain she’ll spend the rest of her days, a home that will be within her crafty grips until the very day that she passes from this world.

As luck would have it, Andrew had the audacity to die first. And truth be told, Lydia couldn’t help but view her husband’s death as a terrible inconvenience. She has no idea how she can possibly keep the house in the standing she is accustomed to without Andrew’s monetary contributions to the household. Lord knows the money they’d squirreled away is nearly all gone … to places Lydia would rather not admit to. Andrew really was quite rude to leave her with so many problems in her lap … the least of which is the body buried in the garden. But Lydia doesn’t feel too badly about that. The girl was dreadful and quite frankly, deserved what she got in the end.

But despite the impending money troubles looming over her head like an ominous dark cloud, Lydia can’t help but feel a little relieved. Andrew was the perfect man at her side, but only when it came appearances. Under the golden facade, he was a complete disappointment. He couldn’t perform even the simplest of tasks … in Lydia’s eyes, he was less than a man. And when he fumbled the removal of that horrid girl from their lives – that terrible and vile Annie – he set them down a course the likes of which she doesn’t know if she’ll ever be able to turn back to rights. But perhaps …

Her son, her Laurence. He’s the only real bright spot in Lydia’s life … besides Avalon. But the older Laurence becomes, the more she regrettably notices that he wishes to stretch his wings. He wants to get out from under the weight of, well – of his actual weight. Lydia has done her best to bind him to her, and if being overweight and unattractive keeps him at home, she is more than willing to do her part. But no matter the bleak reality of his life, Laurence is determined. He wants to get a job, meet a woman, fall in love and have a home of his own. Lydia doesn’t know if she can ever bear to let Laurence leave her, especially now that he’s the man of the house. And especially as she knows that wherever he goes, she could never follow. She could never leave Avalon. Not ever. She wonders if Laurence would be surprised if he knew just how far she’d go to be his mother – really, to be a mother at all. They need each other, and she’s sure he’ll see that in the end. If not, well – Lydia has contingency plans for her contingency plans.

Karen always knew that her sister Annie was wild. She came into the world kicking and screaming, and spent much of her life doing her best to do things as loudly as possible. Annie drove her parents crazy but Karen … well, she always looked at her sister with a mixture of bemusement and awe. Maybe she secretly wished she could be as brazen. Perhaps she coveted the brave way in which Annie always did exactly as she pleased. Annie was sometimes insufferable but she lived a life as a player, not merely as a spectator.

And as much as her parents complained, the family fell apart the day they realized Annie was gone for good. She’d vanished almost without a trace, the only clue being an older model Jaguar that was sighted around her flat more than once. The family worked with police to try and track the car down but kept coming up with dead ends, except … the dead ends always seemed to end up in Dublin. Try as she might, Karen can’t seem to move on with her life … she can’t seem to get far enough away from the horror of the loss of her Annie.

When Laurence and Karen come together, it’s both a manipulation and a thrill. Is it love, or is it convenience? Is it friendship, or is it a deception? And with Lydia creeping around every shadowy corner like a Black Widow spider, will Karen get caught in a dangerous web that she’ll be unable to untangle herself from?

Lying in Wait is the second novel by Liz Nugent, an author who has spread her writing talents over many facets of the industry. Her resume also includes several prestigious awards, such as the Crime Novel of the Year for her first book, Unravelling Oliver.

Gaaaaaah, I just loved this book. It was gritty and gross and compelling. I think I swallowed it whole in about 24hours, finding myself unable to look away from the portrait of the ultimate dysfunctional family. Lydia’s character was a fascinating study of a sociopath and narcissist, and the bizarre but clinical way that she went about her machinations bordered horrifically on the brilliant. Laurence was a lumbering dolt who had redeeming qualities but mostly left me cringing, and Karen was so naive and sweet that it nearly gave me a toothache. The supporting cast of characters were drawn just as well, and the blanket of darkness that fell over this plot was breathtakingly creative.

I give this novel 4 out of 5 stars and recommend it to those who particularly enjoy Gillian Flynn’s writing style and dirty plots.
This book started off with a bang. The first line of the book is: “My husband did not mean to kill Annie Doyle, but the lying tramp deserved it.” 😳 RIGHT?! This was such an interesting read, filled with different twists and turns. I have to say at times things got a little far-fetched and weird, but that never swayed my enjoyment. I was completely into this story from beginning to end. If you’re a fan of dark psychological thrillers, this is definitely one to check out.
Lying in Wait was a fun read in a twisted way.  I will definitely recommend it to readers who want a unique psychological story.