From Twinkle, with Love

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 22 May 2018

Such a sweet and uplifting book! The characters felt very real and the book had great pacing as well. I appreciated that it didn't shy away from tackling teen issues (in an authentic way), but at the same time, didn't get bogged down in judgement. I already purchased this for my library and it won't stay on the shelf.  Teens love it!
I loved the diversity. I love that the main character wants to be a famous indian-american film maker rather than all the other contemporaries where they want to be singers or actresses. It was a really cute read
I love everything by sandhya me in so i am not surprised i loved this as well! when dimple met reshi is one of my all time favorite books!
Twinkle is an aspiring film director that makes a gender bender Dracula for her schools end of the year talent show, A Midsummer Night.

She has always seen herself as invisible, a “groundling”, and all she wants is to raise her social standing to the “Silk Feathered Hats” like her ex-bff Maddie.

I gave this story 3.5 out of 5 stars. I think the idea behind the story is super cute, and I was looking forward to the romance that I was sure was going to take place after reading Menon’s previous story. I really did enjoy the overall story, but there were pieces of Twinkle’s character that really started to make me mad.

She spends the whole beginning of the book obsessing over a boy, but only on how he can raise her social standings and not on the boy himself. So, when she comes in contact with a boy that actually likes her for who she is, she brushes him aside because she wants someone better. That really annoyed me. That unfortunately was just the start. She goes into a spiral of bad behavior and bad decisions that ended up making me really mad at her. At first I thought she was naive but in the end I was just mad.

Of course the book did end up all good. Menon did a wonderful job of making Twinkle and some of the side characters grow and change, and I really appreciated that. I ended up finishing the book very happy, I just didn’t get why Twinkle hit such a low in the process of growth. It didn’t seem very realistic for her character to change that much so quickly.

The last little critique I have, like Dimple, we didn’t get to see any of her creative process or the movie she was making. We only heard about it in passing. I want to see more then the teen angst, I want to see the art too.

Overall, I will be reading more from Menon. I have been liking her books very much.
I enjoyed Sandhya Menon other book, When Dimple Met Rishi. So, I knew I wanted to read more books by her. I love the geekiness and passion that these characters share. For me, this was a perfect summer read, I read it in just one day. It’s a contemporary, yet still, not just that, enjoy the film part of this book. It’s become a favorite theme of mine to read about. I liked how the story was told, as in letters.

As much as I did enjoy and have fun with these characters, there were some relationships that I wasn’t a fan of, and I wasn’t a fan of the girl on girl hating. (Even though I know its a real part of life, it just hurts to know that it's a part of our world.) But I do like the outcome of many relationships. My favorite parts of this book was when they had Twinkle and Sahil in them. I felt that the fit together and plays so well off of each other.

This book did bring me smiles but I wasn’t expecting to cry and at the end of this book I did cry.

With that said, I’m a fan of  Sandhya Menon. Her writing is light and passionate while still being truthful. I can’t wait to see what she writes next.

Don’t forget to sparkle!!
5 OUT OF 5 STARS

Sandhya Menon strikes gold again with her sophomore novel. A sweet, swoon worthy book in which the heroine slowly comes to terms with what (and who) it is she really wants (and wants to be), in which the characters' emotional arcs are just as satisfying as their romance.

It presses all the buttons of being a cute contemporary romance with the added bonus of exploring big issues, like representation in film, and accurately depicting what it's like to be a teenager and not know who you are or what you want out of life.

I wasn't the biggest fan of its epistolary nature, simply because I'm too boneheaded to accept that someone would journal during big life moments instead of after, and it didn't think that format added to the story, although it certainly didn't detract from it.
In From Twinkle, with Love Sandhya Menon once again does a fantastic job of capturing the adolescent psyche and voice.  I love how her characters embody the ups and downs of being a teenager without being condescending to her teenage readers.  Menon perfectly articulates what it is like to be under the influence of crazy hormones blissful one second and a pit of despair the next. What it's like to be passionate and talented, but also insecure and unsure of the future.  Menon's characters are complex with traits a reader can love and recognizable faults.  My students will hopefully see themselves in these characters.
This was a really cute contemporary read. Twinkle is an aspiring filmmaker. This book follows her on her journey of making a student film with Sahil. Sahil just happens to be the twin of her crush Neil.

Twinkle is completely oblivious when it comes to people liking her just as Neil is oblivious to the fact that she likes him. This story relies on a lot of tropes which in and of itself isn’t really a problem since I don’t tend to mind tropes. But the predictability of this book is kind of what put me off of it a little bit. Maddie, Twinkle’s friend, also put me off a little bit, while she claims to still be Twinkle’s friend we don’t really see her acting like it. Naturally Twinkle is upset about all of this and I feel sorry for her but then it twists at some point and I stop feeling sorry for her, and just start finding her slightly annoying. Overall this book wasn’t my favorite but I still think it’s worth reading.

I give this book a 3.5 out of 5 stars.
I enjoyed this as much as the author's first book.   I loved how she's interspersed mixed media within the book.

This story wae a good mix of funny,  cute,  serious art the same time.
This book is for those of us who think outside the box and those who reach for the stars — the dreamers. Twinkle is a young girl with big plans to be an Indian-American female filmmaker who changes the world. She has the drive, the passion and the grit to get it done. A light, breezy and relatable story about trying to fit in before realizing you are born to stand out. The book delivers a strong message about accepting yourself and following your dreams.
From Twinkle, with Love tells the story of an Indian-American teen girl named Twinkle, and her plans to desperately rise from the ranks of "wallflower" at school to eventually become the well-known and respected filmmaker of her dreams. Twinkle feels some type of way because her best friend Maddie doesn't quite seem like her best friend anymore, as she's found a new crew. And in Twinkle's teenage mind, she feels the only way to gain cool points with Maddie and the it-crew is to date Neil Roy, the coolest guy in school. If that doesn't sound like enough drama, get this: Neil has a twin brother. And while he isn't all Mr. Popular like his twin brother Neil, Sahil is brilliant within his own right, and like Twinkle, loves film. Twinkle's perfect plan to land Mr. Popular might hit a snag when she scores this opportunity to work with Sahil on a film for the school's Summer Festival. And to complicate things even further, Twinkle has a secret admirer that emails her signing "N." only.

Twinkle's story unfolds in journal entries and letters addressed to her favorite filmmakers, Ava DuVernay, Nora Ephron, and Mira Nair. I love this format, as it makes the story unfold intimately, like the reading of a diary. In these entries, we learn that Twinkle is a dreamer and a planner. She has goals and a solid plan mapped out to make her dreams of filmmaker stardom come true. But she does realize she needs a bit of help being heard as she’s not the most popular or "visible" kid at school. With Maddie occupied with a new crew, Twinkle's best bet is working with Sahil. But will this draw Twinkle closer to her dream guy and her dream career? That’s what she’s banking on.

The only problem with the dreamers is they often live in their heads, not aware of how the ideas in their mind’s eye will affect what’s going on around them. That’s the case for Twinkle. She has a crush on Neil Roy based solely on the fact that he’s cute and popular. Aside from being a member of the swim team, we don’t know much else about him. One would think Twinkle would share cool things he says or does in these personal letters she writes, but she doesn’t. In fact, she is so enamored by the idea of Neil and his popularity, she never notices the nice things other guys do because they like her. All Neil has ever done was speak to her once and call her “cute.” But whatever.

As much as I enjoyed the story, there were times that I was underwhelmed with the progression. There was a lot going on in Twinkle's world: unrequited love and friendship, pressures from putting on a stellar summer festival film, a newly emerging crush, and (of course) the mysterious string of emails from a secret crush with the moniker "N." And if that isn't enough, there's hints of a strained relationship between Twinkle and her mother that I was hoping would be explored a bit more. While all of these things make for an exciting and engaging read, some were not explored in depth. For instance, I never quite understood what initially caused the strain in Twinkle and Maddie's friendship to begin with.

I would recommend From Twinkle, with Love to any lovers of contemporary YA fiction, particularly those who enjoy strong (yet flawed) female heroines, diverse characters, and love stories of the quirky variety.

⭐⭐⭐🌟
A charming, incredibly fun read! Sandhya Menon's books are ones I know I'm absolutely going to enjoy when I picked them up. This book did everything I knew it would. It made me laugh, sigh, and absolutely fall in love with two characters who I wanted everything to work out just right for them, especially Twinkle.

Twinkle is one of those characters you want to be friends with. There's something about her that I found so enduring, and extremely easy to like. Maybe it's the fact her journal entries are to her favorite female film makers, or maybe it's that Twinkle's story is one that really examines what it means to grow up, and find your place in the world, and chasing your dreams. Twinkle's story explores the ups and downs of growing up, finding your place in the world, the relationships you have (both within your family, and friendships), and of course there's also the possibly falling in love for the first time. This story is about all that, and I loved the way Twinkle brought all her experiences, and her feelings to life in this book. It was easy to relate to her, and to cheer her on.

This is definitely another Menon book worth picking up! I absolutely adore the way she writes her characters, their romance, and the mishaps that happen along the way. Menon's characters and their stories are ones I adore. I highly recommend picking up both this book, and Menon's debut, When Dimple Met Rishi.
Where do I begin? I thought this was such a cute story! I am not a big fan of YA contemporary due to me being older than the targeted audience. The last book I read was Eleanor and Park, which I loved. From Twinkle, With Love was such a refreshing read. I really enjoyed the story and the development. I found this story to be very believable and, even as an adult, relatable. The issues Twinkle face are not just issues in high school but found in everyday life. Twinkle’s problems are more relatable to me as an adult than in high school. She feels left out and ignored but works hard to make her dream come true. As we work, we want to rise to the top and some people will challenge their morals to thrive. Twinkle faces this problem as she starts to gains attention as she flourishes. She must learn who she wants to truly be and what she wants to portray with her films. Her best friend, Maddie, is having a hard time juggling Twinkle and her new friends. These sorts of issues occur on both ends, being ignored or trying to not ignore those who are important for you. Twinkle also faces a dilemma with her feelings as she tries sort through her feelings between Sahil and her secret admirer “N”. All of these issues Twinkle face are very realistic and it was nice to see her fall to rise again.

The characters were developed so well in this story. Twinkle had the most growth to truly find her best self. She started off feeling invisible but gains more confidence in herself as she continues directing her movie. I really enjoyed seeing Twinkle struggle through these challenges and come out on top. I was so connected to her character and really wanted her to thrive. Maddie was another character who had a lot of growth. We could see her trying hard to balance her friendship with Twinkle and Hannah. Sahil was probably my other favorite character. I really enjoyed his personality and his commitment. These characters were all a perfect fit for the book which really complimented the story.

Final Thoughts

Overall, From Twinkle, With Love by Sandhya Menon was a very enjoyable read. It was a refreshing story for YA contemporary. I am very happy that I read this book and gave it chance. I really enjoyed the story and found it very relatable for anyone. The characters were great and watching them fall and rise really made me cheer for them. A perfect blend of challenges and rewards was presented. I really enjoyed Twinkle’s character and the way she found true self in the end. This is a great coming of age book and I recommend it for anyone who is looking for a light fun read. If you enjoy YA contemporary then I highly suggest you pick up this book.
Funny and heartwarming book featuring a brown girl and her passions! So many students are going to love FROM TWINKLE WITH LOVE!
From Twinkle, With Love is the newest book by Sandy Menon, author of When Dimple Met Rishi, which I looooooved. I was so excited for her newest book. I flew through this book and it was incredibly sweet. There were a few parts of the story that seemed a little unbelievable, or maybe uncharacteristic of the main character, and I had some issues with how neatly some things wrapped up, but I would still highly recommend it.

My rating: 4 stars
From Twinkle with Love is a cute, sweet coming of age story with lots of personal growth and complicated, but overall likeable characters. I enjoyed the friendship, romance, and more exposure to Indian culture.
Like Menon's previous book, WHEN DIMPLE MET RISHI, this book is perfectly adorable. This book was a fast read—the characters are easy to connect to and Twinkle's diary is fun to read. I found some of the plot resolutions to be a little contrived and they seemed to resolve a little too neatly for my taste. But the book was a good palate cleanser between some other, heavier reads. It's a great book for a reset, to escape in a lighter world, or to get out of a reading slump.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for a free and unbiased review.
An absolutely adorable read. The foreshadowing and dramatic irony were done well, generating the suspense for the impending drama to have maximum impact. Twinkle's character growth was satisfying to follow, and the romance between her and Sahil was super cute. The characters weren't black and white, each having their own insecurities and desires, creating realism and complexity that made for interesting dynamics.
A journey of trials, errors and growth filled with charming characters!
Thanks to NetGalley and Simon Pulse for the opportunity to read and review From Twinkle, With Love by Sandhya Menon!
Unique storytelling in the form of diary entries by Twinkle, as she relays the happenings in her life, let us know what makes her tick. Twinkle’s charming and calmly optimistic outlook on life shines as she addresses her entries to famous women that she admires. She wants to be a filmmaker and in the process of making her film, ends up hurting several people. She feels overwhelmed and has to step back and reevaluate everything. A journey of trials and errors and growth filled with charming characters makes this realistic fiction story a keeper, 4 stars!
**I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review***

I was sooooo excited to read this book and it didn't let me down! At first I was a bit hesitant about the format (I'm not very into diary entry books), but I got over it pretty quickly and it kind of fit for this story. (**Side note: I've now learned about a few female film directors that I had not heard of before**) I personally enjoyed that while I thought certain things were going to happen in the story, not everything went exactly as I thought that it would. A quick read, that can resonate with many, not just the aspiring film directors of the world