Ask a Manager

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 02 Jul 2018

This book is great! Alison, as always, writes it in an approachable way that really makes you think you can address these issues professionally, while also asserting yourself. As a young woman who hasn't been working for long, the advice she gave was useful and practical.
I first found Ask a Manager while googling "quit new job" on my phone in the bathroom at said new job seven years ago.  Her blog is a daily visit for me.  I'd hoped this book would be an expansion on that, but frankly it's a recap-something that might make a nice gift for the college grad in your life, but fans will have already read most of the stories and concepts.  Also, there are infantile doodles throughout the book which are off-putting. 3.5/5 starts
This book is great if you are a soft spoken wall flower who needs a great big push into the world as a brand new employee. If this is your first job, buy this book. But if you're just looking for a few tips to make business conversations more smoothly, this is not the book for you. You must at this point just get through the sludge of chapters as you see things you already know. Overall I learned a few useful things but nothing new to me.
If you haven't heard of the Ask a Manager Blog, this book will get you hooked to it.

I read the Ask a Manager blog pretty religiously. Like, every new post, going back and reading old posts, following comments. I was really excited to get this book. And it really is a good book with practical details for everyday working life (more geared toward office work.) There are sections based on your role in the office (boss, employee, etc.) and they include bullets of practical advice, scripts for difficult situations, and stories taken right from Green's blog. It is a little dry in points but it's a nonfiction advice book. I liked the stories pulled right from the blog, they injected some life into the book.

If you are already an Ask a Manager reader, it's all the...

See Full Review
I have heard referrals to the Ask a Manager blog in professional circles, but thanks to NetGalley, this gave me the opportunity to read through many professional advice columns. Working in a supervisory position, I found many very helpful and I’ll definitely recommend this in the future.
As a huge ask a manger fan I think any other fan would love this book!

As a longtime reader of Alison Green's blog, I was excited when I saw this book was going to be published. One thing I always admire about the advice she dispenses on the Ask a Manager blog is that it is always—and I mean always—kind and gracious while being straightforward and efficient with its message. This book, a compilation of the most common issues facing employees/employers/job-seekers, is no different.

What the author, herself once working as chief of staff of an organisation, does in this book (and her blog) is arm everyone with the right language to use in the workplace, and how to gracefully and sensitively deal with even the most awkward of issues. From mundane issues...

See Full Review

I first ran across the Ask a Manager blog years ago, during some dark times when I was struggling in a particularly awful workplace. Alison’s advice was calm, measured, and spot-on; her explanations helped me understand that my work environment was not normal, and most bosses didn’t behave like that, and it was well past time to find a new job. I will always be grateful for that, and for the kind community in the comments section.

Ask a Manager is essentially all of that wisdom in the blog condensed into book form, and I so very much wish I’d had a guide like this when I was first entering the workforce. It can be a bit dry in parts, and sometimes the amount of information can feel...

See Full Review
**I received an ARC from netgalley in exchange for my honest review**

Alison Green is the expert of tricky work situations.  This book is so helpful to guide you in navigating those situations, whether you are a manager or an associate.  You are sure to find a situation here that relates to you and your workplace.

#AskAmanager #NetGalley
5 of 5 stars

Oh, how we wish that this sort of book were around when we were ensconced in the workforce. It can be brutal out there. So many issues can arise when one is working. The biggest challenge of all can come from learning some modicum of diplomacy while dealing with those above us.

Allison Green tells it exactly how it is. There's no floofy fluff or garbage. What began as an advice site has evolved into something more tangible.

If you have a single inquiry, you might just want to Google that inquiry. However, if you find that you have a lot of questions or just want to ensure that you are following the norms of corporate life, this is the book for you.
SUPER useful book on how to navigate tough or uncomfortable discussions and situations at work. While tact and diplomacy may seem like common sense, it can be hard to find the right words to convey what you want to say, and this book not only gives useful tips for specific situations but also examples.
Much like her website, the Ask A Manager book is full of no-nonsense, easily accessible workplace advice from an expert you can trust. In a field where managers often are promoted with zero managerial training, this book is a godsend.